Author Topic: Is BlackWidow rly that bad?  (Read 1993 times)

Offline chocko

Is BlackWidow rly that bad?
« on: Mon, 27 June 2011, 11:08:36 »
Hello geekhack
I've been thinking about getting my first mechanical keyboard for gaming (sc2). Unfortunately in my country only 2 mechanical keyboards are available - BlackWidow and SS 6gv2.
As far as i know 6g has a good build quality but i dont know if i'd like the stiff black switches. On the other hand i am sure i'd enjoy the blue switches (my friend has a blackwidow) but i've read so many complaints about this keyboard (not working switches/ alt+space problem etc) that i am afraid of wasting 70$ for a trash keyboard. So my question is are there any blackwidow users here to confirm that its a good keyboard or should i just go for 6g and get used to black switches?

Shipping other board is not an option since shipping costs are too high :(

Offline The Solutor

« Reply #1 on: Mon, 27 June 2011, 11:12:34 »
what is your country ?
The problem with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are true  (Abraham Lincoln)

Offline chocko

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 27 June 2011, 11:21:41 »
Poland
Shipping and handling from elitekeyboards for example costs 50$

Offline foxer

• Formerly wadeu
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 27 June 2011, 11:24:19 »
Have you checked out Amazon or KeyboardCo? I'm sure they ship to Poland no problem.

However, buy my BlackWidow. :P
Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken.

Offline baller1308

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 27 June 2011, 11:24:37 »
Maybe try ordering a keyboard from Taobao via an agent.
Noppoo Choc Mini [Browns]
HPE 87 [Browns]

Offline Lester

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 27 June 2011, 11:25:17 »
http://global.pchome.com.tw

Shipping cost 20$ to EU.

Offline HaiiYaa

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 27 June 2011, 11:28:23 »
the stiffness of black switches is exaggerated and the build quality of the 6gv2 is much higher than the blackwidow.

But in short its more important that you find the switch for you.

Offline The Solutor

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 27 June 2011, 11:30:17 »
Quote from: chocko;368881
Poland
Shipping and handling from elitekeyboards for example costs 50$

We are on the same boat, so BW was my first "modern" mech keyboard.

And was a mistake.

Consider Cherry G80 boards from Germany around 44€ + shipping (10/16 € to Italy), or the Qpad MK-80 from  England (99/109 £ + shipping)
The problem with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are true  (Abraham Lincoln)

Offline chocko

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 27 June 2011, 11:36:29 »
Keyboardco is too expensive (any filco board + shipping would be over 180$)
Would be glad for shop links with cherry boards in germany
« Last Edit: Mon, 27 June 2011, 11:39:31 by chocko »

Offline The Solutor

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 27 June 2011, 11:40:56 »
http://www.preisroboter.de/search.php?search=cherry+g80&min=29&max=200

(look at the wiki for the cherry keyboard nomenclature, to understand what kind of switch are used on a specific model)

Offline Haes

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 27 June 2011, 11:44:14 »
Czesc :),

i had a black widow standard and i was very pleased overall. The build quality is good and the price is right. Mine had no issues what so ever.
The only reason why I switched to filco was the lack of nkro/6kro.  I'm a lefty and i play with "OKLÖ" where the matrix isn't optimized.
So if you're short on money, you like MX Blue switches and you don't need 6kro plus, there's no reason to avoid the black widow.

Pozdrawiam
Lukasz
Daily Driver: Filco Majestouch 2 (MX Blue) with Cherry ABS Doubleshots | Future Gaming Driver: Filco Majestouch 2 (MX Red) with Cherry ABS Doubleshots | Favorite Switches: Cherry MX Blue > Cherry MX Red  > Cherry MX Ergo Clears > Cherry MX Black > Cherry MX Brown | Interessting in: Topre Realforce , Noppoo Choc Mini & KBC Poker[/COLOR]

Offline Astounding

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 27 June 2011, 16:34:30 »
I would try to avoid supporting glossy peripherals...  it's also quite bloated and ugly IMO.

Offline DillonHightower

• Formerly DillonHighsmith
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 27 June 2011, 23:59:54 »
Quote from: Astounding;369065
I would try to avoid supporting glossy peripherals...  it's also quite bloated and ugly IMO.

no doute .. !!!   I loved my blackwidow , only if it wasnt gloss .. that was the derterming factor of when i finally sold it ... I am a greasy person to began with .. i leave grease on non gloss coatings .. then this dam board , shiner than a original ps3 ..
what i will say is that my widow was good . no issues that i have seen .. but i have seen alot of issues with this board .. i considered my self lucky . i always get doa, or issues with new electronics
no but seriously , if u already havent gotten this board , DONT  . get something with mx blues and u wont be kicking ur self later when ur spending another 200+ on something ells ..  .
I finally made the plunge on a filco with cherry browns . dont know if i love it or not , but im sure i will and i am sure it will be the last keyboard that needes replaced . but once u join this fourm , u start looking at so many things u want and before u know it ull have a board with every switch color in it and u will be envied among men ..!

westajay

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 28 June 2011, 00:43:37 »
I have a blackwidow standard which I use for programming work. Build quality seems good to me and it feels great to type on. I think this board is great value. However, I find the design a bit bulky (especially the front.. would prefer the keys closer in to my wrist pad) and the glossy outer drives me a bit nuts.

Have only owned for about 2 weeks so cannot comment on longetivity

Offline HaiiYaa

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 28 June 2011, 01:31:43 »