Author Topic: Hall Effect Keyswitches  (Read 4584 times)

Offline Turbinia

Hall Effect Keyswitches
« on: Tue, 28 June 2011, 21:24:36 »
http://www.meci.com/electronics/parts/switches/slide/hall-effect-keyboard-switch.html

Found these guys, but havent had any success at finding documentation or data sheets. Wonder if anyone could identify them from the pictures. Some hall effect switches say they have mosfets on the switch but I suspect these are more like a capacitive in that they have an analog voltage change.

The stuff about a million cycles to failure for hall effect key switches and the cool factor with the price for these would make it a fun project, but dont want to order a couple hundred if they dont work =P.

Brief bit about them on this site. Though no indication of manufaturer.
http://restorationbydesign.net/wp-rss/hall%20effect%20keyboard-24012.html
| Dolch | KBT ONE | QFR w/PBT | Poker II |

woody

Hall Effect Keyswitches
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 29 June 2011, 01:39:06 »
You might be interested in this.

Offline The Solutor

Hall Effect Keyswitches
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 29 June 2011, 03:52:21 »
Quote from: Turbinia;369724
I suspect these are more like a capacitive in that they have an analog voltage change.

W/O the datasheet I can just guess, but looks like that these are true switches and not just sensors like the Topre, or the discrete Hall-effect sensors.

They have 4 pin so is likely that two of them are the power supply and the remaining two are the (emulated) contact or, at least, a couple of ready to go digital signals.
The problem with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are true  (Abraham Lincoln)

Offline jayfinger

Hall Effect Keyswitches
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 29 June 2011, 12:16:20 »
Around 1980 I built a computer with a keyboard I bought surplus from jameco (before there was jameco.com, I had to mail order out of an ad in Byte magazine:).  I don't remember who made the switches (maybe Rockwell?  Somebody space shuttle related).  They're definitely not the same as in your picture. But they were four pin:  +5, Ground, Scan, Out.  The scan/out are there to emulate a traditional switch matrix: the conroller still needs to scan columns of switches, and look at the outputs.  The difference being that these aren't dumb switches making contacts:  the "scan" was a TTL-level input, the Out was an open-collector TTL-level output.

Expensive switches:  I wanted to get a couple more to fill some open places in the plate, and the distributor quoted me $17 each in qty 10.  And that was in 1980 dollars.  I so wish I kept the keyboard.  It's probably in a landfill now, I don't even remember.

Anyhow, these may be something similar:  internal logic so that they have a digital interface.  Or they may just be a power/ground/collector/emitter.  You either need to get a spec sheet, or plan to burn a few up while you experiment with them.

Offline Turbinia

Hall Effect Keyswitches
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 29 June 2011, 14:22:48 »
Well i got a response from the liquidator. They said the manufaturere was Micro and the pn: 1B3S which hasnt yeilded any useful results. I guess i will be frying a few, or poping them open and examining which may or may not tell me what i need. May get 100 and see what happens. I have fried my fair share of motor encoders, SD readers and everything else in teh past few weeks so i konw how that goes.
| Dolch | KBT ONE | QFR w/PBT | Poker II |