Author Topic: identify this (these) keyboard's  (Read 1526 times)

Offline Touch_It

identify this (these) keyboard's
« on: Wed, 29 June 2011, 20:29:20 »
picked 2 of these up today for free from a guy + an ibm model m2.

unsure on what they are, and what switches they use.  (appear to be bs)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

now for the m2.  havnt tested to see if it even works yet. but on the numpad enter and the left ctrl the springs are bent. with included pix id guess that they arnt repareable and would need to be replaced. or moved to a key thats not normally used.  am i right?

anyways enjoy the pictures and feel free to discuss :)

if pic quality isnt that great, sry. im not that great at taking pictures

edit. got these all for free + some apple keyboards (rubber dome) around 25 in all

pretty disgustingly dirty.  one had a molted snake skin in/on it.  pretty gross

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
    • My keyboard page (German)
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 30 June 2011, 07:13:38 »
1st one is NMB RT8255C+, with NMB Space Invaders. Look up proper keycap removal techniques for those. It's very easy for the switch's top housing to come off with the keycap.

As for those bent springs, yep, you've got that right.
Hardware in signatures clutters Google search results. There should be a field in the profile for that (again).

This message was probably typed on a vintage G80-3000 with blues. Double-shots, baby. :D

Offline Magna224

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 30 June 2011, 10:30:58 »
Yeah you ripped off the top of the switch housing when removing the cap =P it is extremely easy t do on accident with the space invader switches. Cool finds though.  Im curious, What are your thoughts on the way the NMB board feels?
« Last Edit: Thu, 30 June 2011, 10:33:50 by Magna224 »
If you live in AZ you can try my keyboards. I usually keep plenty of different ALPS and MX and buckling springs.

Offline Reaif

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 30 June 2011, 14:37:10 »
Those keyboards look to be quite loved. Gotta love the space invaders :)
Currently own:
Das S Ultimate with Browns
Cherry G84-4100 with ML Linear switches
Memorex Telex with NMB Space Invaders
Leopold with Blues

Offline bah

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 30 June 2011, 14:43:26 »
Wow. I too, have that space invader KB...
To me it feels kinda stiff but solid construction- if that makes sense.
Btw, are these common, rare, worthless...? Curious.

Offline Touch_It

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 30 June 2011, 17:30:35 »
Quote from: Magna224;370588
Yeah you ripped off the top of the switch housing when removing the cap =P it is extremely easy t do on accident with the space invader switches. Cool finds though.  Im curious, What are your thoughts on the way the NMB board feels?

well my best description would be they feel in a way like monteray switches.  but without the wobble. very solid but lighter. even though they almost feel heavier in a way. sort of hard to explain.  and the click sounds like clicking a ball point pen.  the way the keys curve as well feels rly rrly good to my fingers. (at least to me).

assuming they both work and i get them cleaned up. i might turn one into my daily driver.

@ bah.  i get what u mean.  i think its one of those things where u might just have to use the kb to get the idea

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline MissileMike

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 30 June 2011, 17:52:28 »
Good space invaders feel very similar to cherry blues...
BS: 5 Space Savers  ||  9 42H  ||  10 1391401 or similar  ||  1x 1390131  || AT&T 305b  ||  Dell Model M
Cherry: Leopold FC200RC/AB  ||  3 Ducky 1087  ||  PLU ML87 ||  Cherry G80-8113LUVEU-2  browns
Alps: Filco Zero Tenkeyless (fukka)  ||  ABS M1  ||  3x Dell AT101w  ||  Ancer KF-191  ||  6 Vivanco Compact
Misc: NMB RT6855T+  ||  NMB RT101 Space Invader  ||  Dell Quietkey  ||  Ge Fanuc Industrial Metal