Author Topic: Black Widow Ult for $100 or Noppoo Choc Mini?  (Read 3461 times)

Offline livewire1337

Black Widow Ult for $100 or Noppoo Choc Mini?
« on: Thu, 30 June 2011, 09:46:37 »
I know that many people don't like the BlackWidow but here's my question:

I can get a brand new BlackWidow Ultimate from local Fry's for $100 (that's pretty heavily discounted) OR a Noppoo Choc Mini at regular price, which would be somewhere between $85-$110 after shipping.

Both are MX Blue.

Which should I go for?

Thanks for the advice!

Offline HaiiYaa

« Reply #1 on: Thu, 30 June 2011, 09:58:02 »
And you complain about the prices over there. Here in europe the blackwidow ultimate cost 174$ and in Israel about 300$

Not that I would buy it even it costed 100$...

Offline livewire1337

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 30 June 2011, 10:06:23 »
Quote from: HaiiYaa;370568
And you complain about the prices over there. Here in europe the blackwidow ultimate cost 174$ and in Israel about 300$

Not that I would buy it even it costed 100$...

But would you buy it given the only other option being a Noppoo Choc mini? From what I have read here people seem to realy like the choc mini while others say it has horrible build quality so I am a bit unsure about how good the choc mini actually is.

Offline The Solutor

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 30 June 2011, 10:08:27 »
Noppo is a good board, and BW is not so great board if you consider its normal price, but for 100$ is surely more than a good deal.

Another, not guaranteed, good deal is the Xarmor U9plus (the non backlit version) that looks to be just a full backlit keyboard with the illumination disabled.

http://www.overclock.net/keyboards/1031531-my-first-mechanical-keyboard-xarmor-u9-4.html
« Last Edit: Thu, 30 June 2011, 10:14:22 by The Solutor »
The problem with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are true  (Abraham Lincoln)

Offline Chobopants

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 30 June 2011, 10:08:35 »
They're both totally OK boards, go with your heart. :)
Realforce 87UW 45g - Filco Blue 87 - Filco Linear R - Filco Brown 104

Offline The Solutor

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 30 June 2011, 10:13:40 »
Quote from: livewire1337;370571
From what I have read here people seem to realy like the choc mini while others say it has horrible build quality so I am a bit unsure about how good the choc mini actually is.

Here the build quality is a variable concept depending on the brand.

A trendy Filco is considered a great product even if pinging, squeaking, rattling, and if their legends will wear in three months, while a nopoo, xarmor, ducky and so on are crap by definition even if perfectly working.
So keep always the comments with a grain of salt.
The problem with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are true  (Abraham Lincoln)

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 30 June 2011, 10:39:52 »
If I had choice between only those 2, I choose the Choc Mini. I do not like big keyboards.

Offline eyeshield21san

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 30 June 2011, 11:19:07 »
I have a Blackwidow and I think it's a great keyboard, but then I realized that I never need macro keys (used to actually not like it cause I pressed M5 instead of ctrl), that I really didn't need backlighting, and that the f-row keys are shifted too much to the right for my taste (For SC and stuff...)... Also I thought the keyboard was too big. Which is why I ordered a Choc-mini, which seemed to fix these issues and also have the f-keys closer.

But these are all personal issues, so I would say that an actual negative of the keyboard would be its finish... it's glossy plastic which looks AMAZING when you first take it out of the box... but once you take off the plastic cover, you will never win the battle of grime and fingerprints that show up on the thing.

Ultimately I would say go by preference... maybe take notes on your posture and how you use your keyboard over the course of the day? I like my Blackwidow very much and I haven't really had the problems with keys or bad switches like some other people had, but if you look at the 2 keyboards you are getting, it is definitely much easier to return the Blackwidow at Fry's if it is defective for exchange than the Choc Mini.

Offline dreamingftw

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 30 June 2011, 13:59:49 »
Go for the noppoo choc, I have the Black Widow Ultimate and really use the macro keys. The choc is more compact and is more ergo when you play without a numberpad in the way. You'll just feel more comfortable...

Offline herewegomez

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 01 July 2011, 01:59:29 »
I have never tried the Black Widow, but I can say that my Choc is pretty damn nice buid quality!

One thing to take into account though. If you have big hands like I do, the choc mini is a bit uncomfortable, you'll get used to it but its still a little weird

Offline Trueepower

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 01 July 2011, 03:49:35 »
Quote from: The Solutor;370572
Noppo is a good board, and BW is not so great board if you consider its normal price, but for 100$ is surely more than a good deal.

Another, not guaranteed, good deal is the Xarmor U9plus (the non backlit version) that looks to be just a full backlit keyboard with the illumination disabled.

http://www.overclock.net/keyboards/1031531-my-first-mechanical-keyboard-xarmor-u9-4.html

I agree with Solutor. I think if you want a board which is of decent quality of under a 100, you should get a Xarmor. I had one for awhile, and found it to be pretty solid. Although, I had some problems with the rubber feet on the bottom while trying to use the wrist rest. Ditching the wrist rest would probably be a good idea. The caps on them I believe are laser etched, and I think they are decent for the price especially compared to what else you are looking at.

They also have a decent design IMO. The rubber around the board is nice, and shouldn't have any long term problems as long as you clean it with the correct solution. Also, would be a good idea not to keep your fingers laying on the board 24/7. Overall a decent product for the money.
Topre Realforce 87ub 55g Topre Realforce 87ub 45g
Luxeed MK5

Offline Astounding

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 01 July 2011, 21:59:17 »
Why go with the xarmor when the ducky is less money?

Offline The Solutor

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 02 July 2011, 04:39:12 »
Quote from: Astounding;371680
Why go with the xarmor when the ducky is less money?

What Xarmor are you speaking about ? U9 or U9BL ?

BTW the U9 cost like a ducky or less and could came with the hidden backlit bonus

U9BL is backlit and has the usb. so way better board than a basic ducky, when duky will release the "shine" we will see...

Offline bace

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 02 July 2011, 20:13:34 »
my friend has a black widow non-ultimate and i have a noppoo choc mini with blues. Although they have the same switches, they feel completely different to type on. the black widow feels like it has more resistance and a feels a little dull when the keys are pressed. the keys on the choc feel light and crisp. it almost feels lighter than my filco browns.
[Current] : Maxkeyboard NightHawk x8 ; Topre Realforce 103UB 55g ; Topre TypeHeaven

[Past] : Noppoo Choc Mini ; Das Keyboard Pro ; Filco Majestouch 2 Linear R Black Ninja 104 ; White Filco Majestouch 2 Ninja 104 ; Plu ML-87

Logitech G500