Author Topic: 2 in 1  (Read 1505 times)

Offline zerosxl

2 in 1
« on: Wed, 06 July 2011, 03:17:39 »
I've been lurking the forums and see that many people to have issues with their filco keyboards "pinging"....   just curious as to what it is and why it matters so much.

&

does anyone know the latency / polling rate of a filco keyboard? 2ms, 3ms, 5ms ect? (not that it matters... just curious)

Offline AndrewZorn

2 in 1
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 06 July 2011, 03:20:58 »
So neither matters?

Pinging is the sound of awesome mechanical switches resonating through materials. Some never notice, drives others crazy. I'd make fun of them more, but then again, very similar things can be said for crappy keyboards, and we are all here for a reason.

I don't know the answer to your polling rate question, but wonder if the fact that Cherry switches need not be bottomed out to register would allow a Filco to surpass a keyboard with an inferior polling rate.

Keyboards [that anyone here gives a damn about] that actually do have low polling rates are well documented, and even they only exhibit problems at >100wpm typing rates.

(Is the controller poll different than the USB poll, the one that would cause delay in a game?)
« Last Edit: Wed, 06 July 2011, 03:25:23 by AndrewZorn »

Offline zerosxl

2 in 1
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 06 July 2011, 03:39:02 »
I just remembered that default windows polling rate is 125 and can only be raised through a patch. so scratch the 2nd question.

Offline The Solutor

2 in 1
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 06 July 2011, 04:11:34 »
Quote from: zerosxl;374400
just curious as to what it is and why it matters so much.

Because is mainly  Filco only problem.

Because ping is annoying

Because when you spend 160$ for a pointless keyboard you want at least that works as expected
The problem with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are true  (Abraham Lincoln)

Offline zerosxl

2 in 1
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 06 July 2011, 04:25:06 »
Quote from: The Solutor;374423
Because is mainly  Filco only problem.

Because ping is annoying

Because when you spend 160$ for a pointless keyboard you want at least that works as expected

valid point. so how do i know if my filco has sed problem.
i have a tenkeyless linear-r & i paid quite a hefty price for it

Offline The Solutor

2 in 1
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 06 July 2011, 04:31:19 »
Just test every key and listen if you have a sustained, tuning fork like, sound from one or more keys.
The problem with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are true  (Abraham Lincoln)

Offline digitalleftovers

2 in 1
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 06 July 2011, 18:52:30 »
my ducky pings. I firmly believed that it caused by demons from within telling me to change its keycaps.  Sometimes the lock lights flash too.  Not sure what those are trying to tell me...
Keyboards:
Filco 104 MX Brown (Otaku) - FKBN104M/NPEK 黒い空
Ducky TKL MX Brown/Blue 80% (White) - 1087-F 白の空
KBC Poker MX Red with PBT Key Caps - PFCN6000

"Consumers use touch screens.  Producers use keyboards."