Author Topic: Reds Not Light Enough?  (Read 1155 times)

Offline Asp

Reds Not Light Enough?
« on: Thu, 07 July 2011, 23:47:20 »
I got my Filco Linear-R a week ago and it's my first keyboard with Reds. I'd heard on and on about how the lightness of the switches felt like typing on air, or a cloud of boobs. I love the keyboard, but the switches are definitely less light than I expected. I thought just resting my finger on a key would cause it to depress but that is definitely not so. I can't see the basis for any accusations that Reds increase the likelihood of accidental keypresses. The keyboard's great, but I think I'd be interested in a Cherry switch with ~5g less of actuation force. Anyone else feel this way?

Offline Trueepower

Reds Not Light Enough?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 08 July 2011, 01:15:37 »
I've yet to feel any fatigue while using reds. I've felt a little extra resistance on days when I have typed massive amounts, and then played games, but overall its been extremely easy to push these keys. Getting used to keys that are this easy to push can require quite a bit of practice. I think that most people would consider these keys "just right" or a "bit light" and there are some people out there who really like stiffer springs (60g to 70g).

Accidental presses is very real with red switches in my opinion. That is probably there one weakness, and probably a good reason for some people to pick blacks still for gaming. Although, reds will probably always be a good gaming/typing switch. Brown with the same spring will probably be more of a typing/gaming switch, and remain more popular overall. I see reds staying with gamers (mostly), and blacks will be popular still for gamers because they are linear.

Topre switches I know can be in the 30g range, and I know some people think that is too soft. I really don't think reds need to be any softer.
Topre Realforce 87ub 55g Topre Realforce 87ub 45g
Luxeed MK5

Offline bdpq

Reds Not Light Enough?
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 08 July 2011, 02:21:05 »
Topre has a "all 30g" line.  It's the closest thing to, er, "typing on a cloud of boobs".

According to Ripster's test, the activation force required on the MX red is 45g, 30g is a lot lighter.

However those boards are only available in the Japanese hybrid ISO layout and it can be quite hard to find in north america.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
where the heck is green?