Author Topic: Remap unicomp keys on mac  (Read 2005 times)

westajay

Remap unicomp keys on mac
« on: Wed, 13 July 2011, 09:45:37 »
Sorry, tried to search but couldn't find a thread on this.

On mac osx, is there a way to remap the menu/context key on a unicomp spacesaver (not M, standard windows layout) to behave like an FN key so I can use the function keys as media commands as per mac keyboard layout?

Thanks

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 13 July 2011, 10:47:05 »
Not in software. The FN key is implemented in hardware to actually send different keycodes to the OS when the FN+key combinations are pressed

Offline theferenc

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 13 July 2011, 11:00:52 »
But there are tools that let you remap things to be useful. Sort of like how AHK works, actually. I think one is called Sparkle? There are other remapping tools, as well, several of which have been discussed here.
HHKB Pro 2 -- Custom UNIX layout Unicomp Customizer 101 -- IBM Model M 1391401 (modded to UNIX layout) -- IBM 1397000 (also UNIX layout) -- SSK in UNIX layout -- Model F 122 key in UNIX layout (Soarer USB "native")

CST L-TracX trackball -- Kensington Expert Mouse trackball

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 13 July 2011, 11:57:45 »
On my mac I've use PCKeyboardHack successfully. There's a few others, they're just not quite as ubiquitous as the Windows counterparts.

Offline nathanscribe

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 13 July 2011, 13:51:07 »
Quote from: theferenc;379515
But there are tools that let you remap things to be useful. Sort of like how AHK works, actually. I think one is called Sparkle?

Spark.  It's very basic, but that's a benefit if you only want something very simple.  I used it to remap Print/Scroll lock/Pause to volume mute/down/up.

As for the context menu key, I have never come across a way to map it to anything in OSX.  If there is I'd like to know, but I've always just considered it a dead key.
Conquering the world with BASIC since 1982

Offline theferenc

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 13 July 2011, 14:09:58 »
Thanks, nathan! I couldn't remember, and I couldn't find it in a few seconds of searching. I figured someone would correct me if I was wrong.
HHKB Pro 2 -- Custom UNIX layout Unicomp Customizer 101 -- IBM Model M 1391401 (modded to UNIX layout) -- IBM 1397000 (also UNIX layout) -- SSK in UNIX layout -- Model F 122 key in UNIX layout (Soarer USB "native")

westajay

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 13 July 2011, 15:50:41 »
Thanks for the info guys. Will check out the spark utilitie. Vol up/down + play stop/start is all I need.

I guess there is also the Spacesaver M. Will say it once more.. I absolutely love this Unicomp board.

Offline theferenc

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 13 July 2011, 16:06:31 »
Pretty awesome, no? As long as the sounds don't bother you, I still think it's the best keyboard available new.

Offline nathanscribe

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 14 July 2011, 16:49:20 »
Quote from: theferenc;379640
Thanks, nathan! I couldn't remember, and I couldn't find it in a few seconds of searching.

No probs.  Just for info, it's here: http://www.shadowlab.org/Software/spark.php
Conquering the world with BASIC since 1982