Author Topic: Are you conscious of the tactile bump?  (Read 6832 times)

Offline Arcanius

• Buckling Spring Lover
Are you conscious of the tactile bump?
« on: Wed, 13 July 2011, 18:43:32 »
I have a question for all the people with tactile keyboards,  do you feel the bump when you type? I use a Model M, and I almost feel like I don't feel the bump at all, especially when I'm typing quickly. I feel the key travel, and that's mostly what I base my typing on. Even on the M, I feel like I bottom out lightly, and sometimes not at all, being aware of the travel, and stopping right before bottom, although most of the time just slightly tapping it, as is normal with BS, where the bump takes you straight to the end of the stroke.

Do you guys feel the bump when you type? Are you conscious of it? If not, why not? Discuss! :D

Offline theferenc

« Reply #1 on: Wed, 13 July 2011, 18:47:56 »
On my M, it's what stops me pushing, so I tend to think of it more as the "bottom" of the keystroke, where the bottom is REALLY soft. I rarely actually bottom out on it.

On Cherries, especially browns, it's basically not there for me. They are just too light.

Not sure if you would call the Topres tactile or not, but I'm definitely aware of it.
HHKB Pro 2 -- Custom UNIX layout Unicomp Customizer 101 -- IBM Model M 1391401 (modded to UNIX layout) -- IBM 1397000 (also UNIX layout) -- SSK in UNIX layout -- Model F 122 key in UNIX layout (Soarer USB "native")

CST L-TracX trackball -- Kensington Expert Mouse trackball

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 13 July 2011, 18:49:29 »
Agreed with theferenc

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 13 July 2011, 18:49:53 »
I feel it on ergo clears more than on any switch I've used.

Offline digitalleftovers

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 13 July 2011, 18:52:37 »
It doesn't stop me on browns (consciously), I just see it as an extra bit of resistance.
Keyboards:
Filco 104 MX Brown (Otaku) - FKBN104M/NPEK 黒い空
Ducky TKL MX Brown/Blue 80% (White) - 1087-F 白の空
KBC Poker MX Red with PBT Key Caps - PFCN6000

"Consumers use touch screens.  Producers use keyboards."

Offline Chobopants

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 13 July 2011, 19:29:43 »
I am very conscious of it when typing, less so when gaming. Since I spend 50% of my work day typing on reds (blues the other 50) I notice the difference right away when I hop on my browns at home.
Realforce 87UW 45g - Filco Blue 87 - Filco Linear R - Filco Brown 104

Offline MrGPhantome

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 13 July 2011, 19:32:07 »
On my Alps, hell yes, but the tactile actuation was way too high on the stroke to stop me from bottoming out. On browns, less so, but they are enough for me to stop from bottoming out most times.
"It\'s true what they say... If you dress Hitler up in a nice sweater... He\'s still f****** Adolf Hitler." - Cinema Snob

Offline Hydroid

• http://justin.tv/hydr0id
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 13 July 2011, 19:49:41 »
I do notice it somewhat on my blues, but not if I'm typing really fast. Feeling the bump is also something that my fingers have had to grow accustomed to, I couldn't feel it at the start.
Intel Core i7 870 @ 2.93GHz | Corsair H50 | 16GB G.Skill DDR3 | Asus P7P55D-E Pro | Galaxy nVidia GeForce GTX 460 SLI
OCZ 60GB SSD | 2x 1TB Seagate Barracuda RAID-0 | Samsung Blu-Ray Burner | Corsair HX-850W | 2x BenQ G2420HD 24"

Leopold FC200R Tenkeyless Blue | Ducky DK9008(B) Blue | Qsenn DT-35 Black PS/2 Rubber Dome |2x Razer Lycosa USB | Microsoft 500 PS/2

Help me support and grow e-sports below!!!
What Happens in Starcraft -- Vlogs -- Twitter

Offline Pixel_Outlaw

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 13 July 2011, 20:37:46 »
I've never been able to feel it on my cherry browns.
Then again I'm all about the click, screw the bump.
Brown and black are the colors of cowardice. May my springs shake the heavens!

Offline RickyJ

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 13 July 2011, 20:45:21 »
On my Alps boards, hell yes.  On my Cherry clear board, the high force tactile keeps me from bottoming out 99% of the time, I just unconsciously ride the bump.  I just started typing on my new Leopold brown board, and I don't feel the bump at all when typing at full speed.  I'll give myself time to adjust and see how it works out for me.  When I got my Cherry board I had spent the previous ~8 months typing on clicky Alps, so it took some time to get used to the lack of audible click.
Currently GMMK Pro: lubed 68g U4T, FR4 plate, extra gaskets, etc

Offline hella

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 13 July 2011, 21:00:57 »
I'm not conscious of the tactile bump on buckling spring keyboards.  However I do notice its absence when typing on any other switch, especially linear switches.

Dude, typing on gummy, dirty, linear switches is one of the worst typing experiences possible.  Worse than membrane keyboards.

Offline theferenc

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 13 July 2011, 21:55:31 »
Ricky, which clear board do you have?
HHKB Pro 2 -- Custom UNIX layout Unicomp Customizer 101 -- IBM Model M 1391401 (modded to UNIX layout) -- IBM 1397000 (also UNIX layout) -- SSK in UNIX layout -- Model F 122 key in UNIX layout (Soarer USB "native")

Offline sordna

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 13 July 2011, 21:55:46 »
Quote from: hella;379970
Dude, typing on gummy, dirty, linear switches is one of the worst typing experiences possible.

I don't know which linear switches are gummy / dirty (examples?) ... However crisp, smooth ones, such as the cherry MX reds are awesome!
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline RickyJ

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 13 July 2011, 22:08:26 »
Quote from: theferenc;379998
Ricky, which clear board do you have?

In sig, G80-8113LRCUS-0.  I started the thread in the Great Finds forum, and users here cleared the seller out of them!  The seller has a stack of dirtier G80's with clears he's listing now, different model number but still a huge POS board chock full of donor clears!

Offline theferenc

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 13 July 2011, 22:17:55 »
Oh, right, I guess I should have looked there. The 8113 is the POS board with the 2 rows of F keys, yeah? Plus the card reader?

You know, I wonder if they make a G80 with clears that has a smart card reader built in. I know they make smart card G80s (or at least, I thought the one I saw was). A G80-1800 layout but with a smart card interface would be really nice to have, but only if it had clears.

Sorry, that was a bit off topic.

Offline sordna

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 13 July 2011, 22:43:59 »
Back to the topic, I happened to do some tests last night using my KBC Poker (blues) and IBM mini (BS) wearing closed ear headphones listening to loud music on purpose, so I could not hear the keyboard at all.

I wanted to to concentrate on the bump while taking the audible feedback completely out of the picture. I also looked away to avoid seeing what I typed.
Turns out, for me at least, that it was rather hard to tell (when typing fast) if the key registered or not. Only bottoming out made me 100% sure. While typing slowly, it was easier to tell however.
In any case, it appears to me the bump is overrated, at least for me it doesn't help as much an audible feedback does.

Maybe more of you can try this test and post your findings. Make sure you cannot hear the keyboard AT ALL.
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline hella

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 13 July 2011, 22:54:50 »
Quote from: sordna;379999
I don't know which linear switches are gummy / dirty (examples?) ... However crisp, smooth ones, such as the cherry MX reds are awesome!

A board will only become gummy after months or years of use and abuse.  Nothing comes stock like that :)

Offline RickyJ

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 13 July 2011, 23:40:31 »
Gummy no, but Cherry switches are slightly scratchy brand new (reds to a lesser extent).  My new browns are scratchier than the clears in my G80 POS board.  THAT I feel on every keypress.

Offline HaiiYaa

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 13 July 2011, 23:52:04 »
Very conscious about it. I kept pushing the key slowly down on my cherry mx brown and I simply hated the feeling of the bump

So now I only use linear switches :p

Offline Monoxide

« Reply #19 on: Thu, 14 July 2011, 00:34:04 »
I'm bottoming out still...I really need to get into the habit of not using all my force to type every key.
[sigpic]http://geekhack.org/signaturepics/sigpic6227_1.gif[/sigpic]
Filco Majestouch Tactile Click

Offline theferenc

« Reply #20 on: Thu, 14 July 2011, 00:39:21 »
Give it some time, and don't try to force it. It really will just come in time, as you get used to the keyboard. It took me a few months, even on buckling springs, which many around here call too heavy. Now I rarely ever bottom out any key but the space bar.

Offline Arcanius

• Buckling Spring Lover
« Reply #21 on: Thu, 14 July 2011, 00:41:25 »
sordna, I'd love to try your experiment, but I only have my HD 555 headphones, and my custom earplugs only attenuate about 15 dB, which won't be enough to not hear the board... I may try the two combined, although I don't like to blast music, as it can damage the ears.

Offline Tony

« Reply #22 on: Thu, 14 July 2011, 00:51:58 »
I use brown keyboards and feel it as a little resistance or snap. Consciousness? No, I focus on the text.
Keyboard: Filco MJ1 104 brown, Filco MJ2 87 brown, Compaq MX11800, Noppoo Choc Brown/Blue/Red, IBM Model M 1996, CMStorm Quickfire Rapid Black
Layout: Colemak experience, speed of 67wpm

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
    • My keyboard page (German)
« Reply #23 on: Thu, 14 July 2011, 06:11:42 »
Quote from: Arcanius;380090
sordna, I'd love to try your experiment, but I only have my HD 555 headphones, and my custom earplugs only attenuate about 15 dB, which won't be enough to not hear the board... I may try the two combined, although I don't like to blast music, as it can damage the ears.
Well, the part sensitive to damage would be behind the earplugs. Headphones can usually take quite a beating.
Hardware in signatures clutters Google search results. There should be a field in the profile for that (again).

This message was probably typed on a vintage G80-3000 with blues. Double-shots, baby. :D

Offline NamelessPFG

« Reply #24 on: Thu, 14 July 2011, 09:57:59 »
I can feel the tactile change on buckling springs, MX Blues, and MX Clears quite easily. That's why I like them. Gives me confidence that I actually pressed the switch and it actuated. (Between the two MX switch types, I'd rather have the Clears, but they're not as widely available.)

MX Browns, on the other hand...the tactile bump is so insignificant that they might as well have made it linear, and I flat-out despise linear switches, especially long-throw ones like MX Blacks and Reds. (What the heck would a short-throw linear switch be like, you ask? Japanese arcade pushbuttons fit the bill in my book; still prefer Western-style microswitched buttons, but it feels a lot less loathesome with the Japanese buttons because you're bound to bottom out on the things anyway.)

Offline Arcanius

• Buckling Spring Lover
« Reply #25 on: Thu, 14 July 2011, 10:43:08 »
Quote from: keyb_gr;380182
Well, the part sensitive to damage would be behind the earplugs. Headphones can usually take quite a beating.

Yes, but what I meant was that the headphones are open, and I can still hear the clicking through them, and my earplugs only attenuate a bit of noise, and even this is attenuated in such a way that it sounds as if you'd turned down the volume on life. (Musician's earplugs) Thus, I'd have to turn the volume up really high to not hear anything, I think. I'll try it now.... results will come in another post or edit.

EDIT: Alright, earplugs in, headphones blasting Toto Cutugno, speakers blasting some bassoon music, I feel totally deaf, awesome. :D
And typing while not looking reveals I mostly use the bottom to tell where I am, sometimes I miss to actuate even the spacebar. It seems buckling springs are too heavy, and the tactility doesn't really help me that much. :/
Not sure I like that. In any case, I don't feel like I'm bottoming out hard, so I don't think that's really a problem? I'm totally getting red switches, screw browns. :D
« Last Edit: Thu, 14 July 2011, 10:50:20 by Arcanius »

Offline Chobopants

« Reply #26 on: Thu, 14 July 2011, 10:48:27 »
Quote from: NamelessPFG;380248
I can feel the tactile change on buckling springs, MX Blues, and MX Clears quite easily. That's why I like them. Gives me confidence that I actually pressed the switch and it actuated. (Between the two MX switch types, I'd rather have the Clears, but they're not as widely available.)

MX Browns, on the other hand...the tactile bump is so insignificant that they might as well have made it linear, and I flat-out despise linear switches, especially long-throw ones like MX Blacks and Reds. (What the heck would a short-throw linear switch be like, you ask? Japanese arcade pushbuttons fit the bill in my book; still prefer Western-style microswitched buttons, but it feels a lot less loathesome with the Japanese buttons because you're bound to bottom out on the things anyway.)

This would be really interesting, an entire keyboard built out of Sanwa style switches.
Realforce 87UW 45g - Filco Blue 87 - Filco Linear R - Filco Brown 104

Offline DeltaGunner

« Reply #27 on: Thu, 14 July 2011, 11:01:58 »
When using Blue's I obviously notice the bump but the click and sound make it more noticeable. Never tried any other tactile switch.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Keyboards:
Razer BlackWidow Ultimate
Wishlist:
DAS Ultimate Model S Ultimate Silent, or atleast some other Cherry Brown
Mice:
Logitech Trackball
Logitech Trackman Wheel
CM Storm Sentinel Advance 5.600 DPI
Switches:
Blue
Want to try:
Black, Brown, Red and BS

Offline Arcanius

• Buckling Spring Lover
« Reply #28 on: Thu, 14 July 2011, 11:07:11 »
Where do the Sanwas actuate? If it's closer to bottom, you may be able to cut Red springs, and then add massive o-rings?

Offline theferenc

« Reply #29 on: Thu, 14 July 2011, 16:29:31 »
Quote from: kalrykh;380307
The cervix is the ultimate tactile bump.
Isn't that more analogous to bottoming out?

Offline Arcanius

• Buckling Spring Lover
« Reply #30 on: Thu, 14 July 2011, 16:37:15 »
Exactly what he was saying, I think. In other words, no need for tactile bump, just bottom out? :P

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
« Reply #31 on: Thu, 14 July 2011, 17:17:24 »
Quote from: kalrykh;380307
The cervix is the ultimate tactile bump.

For me it's the tonsils.

Offline RickyJ

« Reply #32 on: Thu, 14 July 2011, 22:17:49 »
Quote from: harrison;380303
I find the same thing with my browns.  Curious to see how the clears work for me once I get the stems swapped on my blacks.

I do like how effortless it is to type with the browns, but the tactile bump is just too slight to keep me from bottoming out.  I can tell that something's there, but it's just too slight.  I bought my clear board with the intention of swapping stems into a brown board, so if I get through my current stack of electronics repairs in the next couple weeks I'll swap half the board to clear stems to compare.

Offline RickyJ

« Reply #33 on: Sat, 16 July 2011, 20:23:02 »
Haha, keyboards and a couple pints, I can see it now.  I really don't get over to Vancouver often enough, I'll have to venture over this summer.  I think it's been 3 years now since I saw you last at a Whistler cruise?