Author Topic: My Classic Keyboard Jackpot (Mostly).  (Read 1878 times)

Offline r4pture

My Classic Keyboard Jackpot (Mostly).
« on: Thu, 14 July 2011, 07:20:04 »
Posted this over at OCN and was suggested to post it here for you fine folks to enjoy.  :)  This is my entrance post to the boards, so hello everyone!

Instead of retyping, I'll just copy my original post.

Today I went to a house advertising on craigslist.  The ad claimed a shed stock-full of old PCs and parts and was looking to get rid of them.  How could I not go, right?

We met the lady, she was quite nice, showed us the shed...it was clean-ish for a shed, we looked around, and within 15 seconds she hands me a keyboard.  "Is this what you're looking for?"

She handed me a Northgate Omnikey 101.

I did my best to pokerface but in my mind my jaw was dropping.  I took it, and after a bit of looking, also found a Dell at101w, as well as a near perfect looking IBM M2.  We dug a bit more, but didn't find much else of interest, but I already had more then I even came for.

So, extremely excited to not only get what looked to be an even better buckling spring then i had hoped, but also an omnikey and at101w.  A great pull.

Sadly, as I write this, I just found out the M2 has a problem.  Despite its perfect appearance, the keys "9", "o", "l", and "." seem to not work.  I instantly google to find these KBs have problems....if anyone can help, I would REALLY appreciate it,  Heres some pics of my (uncleaned, fresh from a shed) spoils.

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

I have since cleaned the boards and am now using the AT101w.  After fixing the IBM M2s broken membrane with a pencil retrace and redundant wire, I found another up-and-down row similar to the first has burnt out, so I need to get a proper conductive pen....thankfully now I know exactly how to fix it.  A few of the springs are damaged and won't click as well, two actually, with another that clicks but oddly, and requires a full bottom out to click.  Thankfully I've learned these use the same springs as the original M, so I'll be getting springs when I can.

I've used the AT101w the most as obviously its the one that works and I enjoy it, its feel is more solid then my cheapy rubber dome I've used forever, although in rating the feel for the keys I would list it M2-Omni-At101w with the bucklings springs having the best feel for me.  I am *extremely* impresssed with the build quality of the Omnikey however, they just don't make them like this anymore.  Its more tank then KB, and is still in fantastic shape.  A scrub down of acetone (nail polish remover) with with rubbing alcohol has it looking much better, although still slightly yellowed.  The Dell is as well but I'm not sure the exact way to clean that on the cheap.  Any input on anything would be fantastic.  :)  I should also note that I'll lightly be selling the Omni as I need the money for moving soon, perhaps this Dell as well when I get the M2 up and running, or perhaps an original M or Unicomp Spacesaver in its place.  Either way, suggested selling price for these models?  I've seen wide ranging figures.

I hope to get a DIN-to-PS/2 adaptor to test the Omni soon, as well as fix the M2 so I can test both out as well.  Super excited.  :)
[sigpic]http://geekhack.org/signaturepics/sigpic12085_2.gif[/sigpic]
~ Dell AT101W~ ~ ~ ~IBM Model M2~ ~ ~Northgate Omnikey 101 ~

Offline himynameisbunny

« Reply #1 on: Thu, 14 July 2011, 08:50:15 »
To my knowledge the capacitors on the M2's controller board dry up and makes the keys go wonky. Might be worth having a look at that.

Great find man, like winning the jackpot!

Sent from my Vega using Tapatalk
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Happy Hacking Keyboard Pro 2 // Logitech M570 Trackball // Topre Realforce 23UB

Offline False_Dmitry_II

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 14 July 2011, 11:20:54 »
I really don't get stuff like that. It's like the people that own them one day buy a new computer, plug in the $5 piece of crap that came with it and then forget what they were typing on felt like.

You can buy new springs from unicomp, just fire an email their way.

As to the price, just watch ebay for a bit with those particular models. Or just list them on ebay, and stick links in the classifieds. Both work.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin (11 Nov. 1755)

Offline PlayerZero

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 14 July 2011, 16:26:59 »
How much are you thinking of asking for the Omnikey?
Extensive research has found your statement to be of inferior quality.  Please revise it.

KEYBOARD:  Leopold FC200RC/AB with Cherry MX Blues
MOUSE:  Logitech G400

Geekhack:  A wiki is worth 1000 threads.

Offline hoggy

• * Ergonomics Moderator
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 14 July 2011, 17:11:37 »
Nice find, well done!
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline theferenc

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 14 July 2011, 19:27:24 »
That omnikey is pretty awesome. I've been looking for one of those with a standard ANSI return on it. How's it feel?
HHKB Pro 2 -- Custom UNIX layout Unicomp Customizer 101 -- IBM Model M 1391401 (modded to UNIX layout) -- IBM 1397000 (also UNIX layout) -- SSK in UNIX layout -- Model F 122 key in UNIX layout (Soarer USB "native")

CST L-TracX trackball -- Kensington Expert Mouse trackball

Offline r4pture

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 14 July 2011, 21:35:21 »
Quote from: theferenc;380572
That omnikey is pretty awesome. I've been looking for one of those with a standard ANSI return on it. How's it feel?

I'm extremely happy to find it.  :)  It feels fantastic, when I got it the stabilizer on the spacebar was off but that was an easy fix.  The typing feels really good, all the keys feels really good, but I can't go in depth as I don't have a DIN-to-PS/2 adapter.  From the fake-typing I've done at it I can tell it'll be a close second in feel to the buckling springs.

How much are you thinking of asking for the Omnikey?

I'm not sure yet.  I'll look at offers.  I know I want to use it a little before I sell it though, you don't get these things every day.  :)

You can buy new springs from unicomp, just fire an email their way.

As to the price, just watch ebay for a bit with those particular models. Or just list them on ebay, and stick links in the classifieds. Both work.

Will do and have been, poked at Clicky Keyboards about it and will be messaging Unicomp soon.  And yeah, I've seen the Omnikey model I have goes for 200 bucks, so I'll be aiming in that area.  I'd eBay but...I'm banned from it.  :P  Not for scamming or anything, but for not paying after one of my auctions failed.  Need ot cough out 30 bucks in order to use it, and its not worth it for me when I can sell it on various forumso
[sigpic]http://geekhack.org/signaturepics/sigpic12085_2.gif[/sigpic]
~ Dell AT101W~ ~ ~ ~IBM Model M2~ ~ ~Northgate Omnikey 101 ~