Author Topic: how to swap key switches on KBC Poker?  (Read 4942 times)

Offline pyro

how to swap key switches on KBC Poker?
« on: Thu, 14 July 2011, 10:23:33 »
I got a new Poker (mx blue) delivered from Hong Kong today and its A-key doesn't click. I really wouldn't mind were it the windows-key, though. Do any of you know if it is possible to just exchange the switches of those two keys? I got the plastic keycap off, but I can't figure out how to get the switch out, too.

Offline kidwolf909

« Reply #1 on: Thu, 14 July 2011, 10:43:33 »
Quote from: pyro;380260
I got a new Poker (mx blue) delivered from Hong Kong today and its A-key doesn't click. I really wouldn't mind were it the windows-key, though. Do any of you know if it is possible to just exchange the switches of those two keys? I got the plastic keycap off, but I can't figure out how to get the switch out, too.

Since the poker's just use PCB mounted switches, you should be able to remove the casing, pull out the PCB, and desolder the two switches and flip them around.

About an hour or two worth of work if you are so-so with an iron.
Filco Ninja TKL (Home) || Razer Blackwidow (Work)

Offline pyro

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 14 July 2011, 10:53:41 »
Looks like I'll have to find someone who can do that for me... thank you.

Offline The Solutor

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 14 July 2011, 11:14:00 »
Quote from: dante;380262
sounds like a lot of problems with the kbc pokers lately :yuck:

Just yesterday there are two messafes of Filco owners with the same problem, looks like the cherr switches are made cheaper, lately.

And looks also that most of the keyboard makers aren't doing any serious selection on the switches used.
The problem with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are true  (Abraham Lincoln)

Offline sordna

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 14 July 2011, 11:15:43 »
I would first try opening the switch tops, and swapping the stems, no soldering/desoldering required.
Just go to the cherry wiki
and look for: Opening up PCB Mounted MX Switches
It has multiple links showing how.
« Last Edit: Thu, 14 July 2011, 11:22:12 by sordna »
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline The Solutor

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 14 July 2011, 11:19:48 »
Quote from: sordna;380289
You could even try opening the switches from above, and swapping the stems, no soldering/desoldering required.

Is more likely a contact's spring rather than a stem problem, given the 30 sec needed to swap the stems is obviously wort trying before starting to do anything that involves a soldering iron.
The problem with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are true  (Abraham Lincoln)

Offline CeeSA

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 14 July 2011, 11:32:04 »
Quote from: kidwolf909;380272
Since the poker's just use PCB mounted switches, you should be able to remove the casing, pull out the PCB, and desolder the two switches and flip them around.

About an hour or two worth of work if you are so-so with an iron.

there is no need to solder anything first:
Video HowTo: Change Cherry MX Switch w/o soldering

if this does not work, you need to solder.
« Last Edit: Thu, 14 July 2011, 11:34:24 by CeeSA »

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 14 July 2011, 11:32:34 »
Quote from: The Solutor;380291
Is more likely a contact's spring rather than a stem problem, given the 30 sec needed to swap the stems is obviously wort trying before starting to do anything that involves a soldering iron.

I'll second that. If you happen to need to desolder the switch, make sure you have a good desoldering pump. Using the copper braid is a *****. I actually ruined one of my black switches trying to desolder it with a braid.