Author Topic: HHKB Lite 2 and weirdness  (Read 1461 times)

Offline HairyTroll

HHKB Lite 2 and weirdness
« on: Thu, 14 July 2011, 13:13:12 »
Sometimes when typing on my HHKB Lite 2 I enter a weird mode where CAPS is enabled (I haven't enabled CAPS using Fn-TAB) and SHIFT seems to be depressed (but isn't). Also, Esc seems disabled.

This means that everything typed is uppercase, moving the cursor highlights text, and clicking using the mouse performs a group select.

Generally I have to reboot to come out of this mode. Yesterday I randomly flipped the dip switches on the HHKB and everything returned to normal. Today I had to flip dip switches, unplug/plug the keyboard, and then finally pressed Fn-TAB (when not having an Outlook window having primary focus) to return to normal.

Anyone have an idea what might be causing this?

I am using Windows XP.

-Luke

Offline theferenc

« Reply #1 on: Thu, 14 July 2011, 13:59:56 »
ripster, it's the light, not the pro. It sounds like something is wrong with the controller, honestly. Either that or the membrane is sticking under shift.

Also, you really shouldn't flip the DIP switches while the keyboard is plugged in. It's kinda like hot plugging PS/2. It frequently works, but it can also burn things out, as it isn't actually supported.
HHKB Pro 2 -- Custom UNIX layout Unicomp Customizer 101 -- IBM Model M 1391401 (modded to UNIX layout) -- IBM 1397000 (also UNIX layout) -- SSK in UNIX layout -- Model F 122 key in UNIX layout (Soarer USB "native")

CST L-TracX trackball -- Kensington Expert Mouse trackball

Offline HairyTroll

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 14 July 2011, 14:16:47 »
Quote from: theferenc;380379
It sounds like something is wrong with the controller, honestly. Either that or the membrane is sticking under shift.

I unplugged the HHKB Lite (and since I am using a laptop), and continued typing on laptop keyboard. But once this mode is entered it seems to apply for all keyboards and not just the HHKB.

This has only ever happened when typing on the HHKB however, and not when typing on the laptop (or any other external keyboard).

Quote from: theferenc;380379
Also, you really shouldn't flip the DIP switches while the keyboard is plugged in. It's kinda like hot plugging PS/2. It frequently works, but it can also burn things out, as it isn't actually supported.

Thanks. I'll stop doing this.

Offline theferenc

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 14 July 2011, 14:22:59 »
It may be a driver issue, I suppose, but I've seen it happen when I was testing my teensy converter that a key gets "stuck", even after I unplug the teensy, and to unstick, I have to push it on the other keyboard.

I think it's partially because of how windows handles break codes, but it was incredibly annoying.

But it sounds more and more like a controller issue on your HHKB.
HHKB Pro 2 -- Custom UNIX layout Unicomp Customizer 101 -- IBM Model M 1391401 (modded to UNIX layout) -- IBM 1397000 (also UNIX layout) -- SSK in UNIX layout -- Model F 122 key in UNIX layout (Soarer USB "native")

CST L-TracX trackball -- Kensington Expert Mouse trackball

Offline HairyTroll

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 14 July 2011, 14:45:38 »
Quote from: ripster;380399
Been having any Keyboard Rage sessions?

I tend to use modifier keys a lot in Emacs. So key combinations like Ctrl-Shift-Fn-' are not uncommon.