Author Topic: Keyboard Confessions - Post your keyboard confessions!  (Read 151354 times)

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
Re: Keyboard Confessions - Post your keyboard confessions!
« Reply #151 on: Sun, 06 December 2015, 17:58:51 »

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #152 on: Sun, 06 December 2015, 17:59:39 »

I'm pretty sure Ripster wouldn't use an alt for something like that.

Nah he doesn't have much shame when it comes to stuff like that

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #153 on: Sun, 06 December 2015, 18:00:14 »

Yes, I was thinking the same thing after posting that... still can't top that username though  :thumb:
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline E3E

« Reply #154 on: Sun, 06 December 2015, 19:41:21 »

Yes, I was thinking the same thing after posting that... still can't top that username though  :thumb:

It's probably just me, but I love Ripster's boldness while never taking a situation too seriously. That's pretty much what immortalizes him in this community as a whole, much to the chagrin of those that ousted him, I'm sure. I know that attitude can't last for long on a forum without a lot of clashing though, but I always get a good laugh from his antics.
« Last Edit: Sun, 06 December 2015, 19:43:07 by E3E »

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #155 on: Sun, 06 December 2015, 19:45:00 »
It's probably just me, but I love Ripster's boldness while never taking a situation too seriously. That's pretty much what immortalizes him in this community as a whole, much to the chagrin of those that ousted him, I'm sure. I know that attitude can't last for long on a forum though without a lot of clashing, but I always get a good laugh from his antics.

Have you ever read some of his participation in older threads, like the one on DT about r00tw0rm? The thread is a pain in the ass to read because every 5th post is completely irrelevant and contributes nothing to the discussion at all. To be honest I think reddit is a format that was practically built for him because the vote system filters out the inane stuff he says while preserving his actually very interesting research.
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline E3E

« Reply #156 on: Sun, 06 December 2015, 19:50:44 »
It's probably just me, but I love Ripster's boldness while never taking a situation too seriously. That's pretty much what immortalizes him in this community as a whole, much to the chagrin of those that ousted him, I'm sure. I know that attitude can't last for long on a forum though without a lot of clashing, but I always get a good laugh from his antics.

Have you ever read some of his participation in older threads, like the one on DT about r00tw0rm? The thread is a pain in the ass to read because every 5th post is completely irrelevant and contributes nothing to the discussion at all. To be honest I think reddit is a format that was practically built for him because the vote system filters out the inane stuff he says while preserving his actually very interesting research.

Yeah, exactly what I mean. I don't think that attitude is really functional in a community that exists in a more relatively closed environment, whereas Reddit, which sees people flooding in like crazy all the time... Yeah, perfect for him, and yeah, the voting system helps that's for sure.  He might take things a little too lightly--all the time.

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
« Reply #157 on: Sun, 06 December 2015, 20:31:37 »

Yeah, exactly what I mean. I don't think that attitude is really functional in a community that exists in a more relatively closed environment, whereas Reddit, which sees people flooding in like crazy all the time... Yeah, perfect for him, and yeah, the voting system helps that's for sure.  He might take things a little too lightly--all the time.

I'm a big fan of the light-hearted attitude. Unlike most of you I've only just gotten into the whole mechanical keyboard thing and I will most likely never dedicate myself to it as many of you do. I'm an interested outsider and you guys are full-fledged enthusiasts. Ripster's informative posts are quite useful to me and his snarky attitude (which is rather tame from what I've seen on reddit) just comes off as simple fun.

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #158 on: Sun, 06 December 2015, 20:38:34 »
I'm a big fan of the light-hearted attitude. Unlike most of you I've only just gotten into the whole mechanical keyboard thing and I will most likely never dedicate myself to it as many of you do. I'm an interested outsider and you guys are full-fledged enthusiasts. Ripster's informative posts are quite useful to me and his snarky attitude (which is rather tame from what I've seen on reddit) just comes off as simple fun.

Unfortunately that "light-hearted fun" often ends up being very divisive by turning a lot of MK people against Geekhack. I know that Geekhack isn't good at all about that either, but it happens. Also his posts are just annoying as **** after awhile, trust me, and when there's no way to make them go away (downvoting) its a lot worse. I'm certainly not arguing on the value of his informative posts. While the MK wiki is generally a mess, he does do very good research and uncovers interesting stuff. His drive for that kind of thing is admirable.
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
« Reply #159 on: Sun, 06 December 2015, 20:40:24 »

Unfortunately that "light-hearted fun" often ends up being very divisive by turning a lot of MK people against Geekhack. I know that Geekhack isn't good at all about that either, but it happens. Also his posts are just annoying as **** after awhile, trust me, and when there's no way to make them go away (downvoting) its a lot worse. I'm certainly not arguing on the value of his informative posts. While the MK wiki is generally a mess, he does do very good research and uncovers interesting stuff. His drive for that kind of thing is admirable.

If it's any consolation, I like what I've seen from both communities and there doesn't seem to be that much bickering or drama (at the moment, at least).

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #160 on: Sun, 06 December 2015, 20:42:44 »
If it's any consolation, I like what I've seen from both communities and there doesn't seem to be that much bickering or drama (at the moment, at least).

Wow, that's actually awesome, I kind of feel bad that I've contributed to some of your first experiences with that. Hopefully you can be a successful bridge between both communities like speedbump is. Both communities certiantly have their virtues, especially when you're first starting out.
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
« Reply #161 on: Sun, 06 December 2015, 20:48:17 »

Wow, that's actually awesome, I kind of feel bad that I've contributed to some of your first experiences with that. Hopefully you can be a successful bridge between both communities like speedbump is. Both communities certiantly have their virtues, especially when you're first starting out.

Haha, I'm just trying to help out who I can to make up for all those that assisted me with all my keyboard questions (which I'm sure have been asked time and time again). I'll bet some of the veterans get tired of essentially repeating themselves. I've done my research and tried out of a few things so I like to provide my perspective when possible to other newbies or inquisitive users.

Offline E3E

« Reply #162 on: Sun, 06 December 2015, 20:51:21 »
I'm a fan of Deskthority, GeekHack, and Reddit, and I like Ripster. This should be posted on the unpopular opinions thread. :) I try to view the mechanical keyboard community as a whole rather than some fragmented thing. 

I do get kind of miffed when a single shot of a POK3R gets a ton of upvotes on reddit whereas it always seems hard to even get to 60 when I upload. My Octagon w/ Jukebox was the highest I ever got at 210, whereas someone's single shot of a b.face got 500+, haha. When you put a lot of work into something, and it doesn't feel appreciated, that kinda sucks.

I don't really understand the mentalities people have on reddit, but I do like the r/MK community, just not the logic behind the voting. It could always be my craptastic camera, but I think I've seen potatoes get a bunch of votes. Either way, karma is so materialistic anyway--it shouldn't annoy me as much as it does, but eh.   

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #163 on: Sun, 06 December 2015, 20:51:50 »
Haha, I'm just trying to help out who I can to make up for all those that assisted me with all my keyboard questions (which I'm sure have been asked time and time again). I'll bet some of the veterans get tired of essentially repeating themselves. I've done my research and tried out of a few things so I like to provide my perspective when possible to other newbies or inquisitive users.

Sometimes I think we at geekhack take for granted the fact that mk basically filters and trains a bunch of new people so that we don't get loads of people asking which razor keyboard is the best one for them to buy lol.
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
« Reply #164 on: Sun, 06 December 2015, 20:54:12 »
I do get kind of miffed when a single shot of a POK3R gets a ton of upvotes on reddit whereas it always seems hard to even get to 60 when I upload. My Octagon w/ Jukebox was the highest I ever got at 210, whereas someone's single shot of a b.face got 500+, haha. When you put a lot of work into something, and it doesn't feel appreciated, that kinda sucks.

Put a shoe in there next time.  :))

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #165 on: Sun, 06 December 2015, 20:56:56 »
This should be posted on the unpopular opinions thread. :)

What ever happened to that thread anyways? I miss it.

karma is so materialistic anyway

It's literally just not lol  :p I get what you mean though
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline E3E

« Reply #166 on: Sun, 06 December 2015, 20:58:47 »
This should be posted on the unpopular opinions thread. :)

What ever happened to that thread anyways? I miss it.

karma is so materialistic anyway

It's literally just not lol  :p I get what you mean though

Oh, yeah. Not THAT kind of karma, hahaha. No, I mean reddit karma points. The fact it's called karma is kind of dumb anyways. /salt

And yes, I'll have to turn to the power of footwear to boost my upvotes! >:D

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #167 on: Sun, 06 December 2015, 20:59:51 »
Oh, yeah. Not THAT kind of karma, hahaha. No, I mean reddit karma points. The fact it's called karma is kind of dumb anyways. /salt

No no, know. But everyone on reddit always jokes about how karma isn't even anything material, and they still lust after it.

Also I'm immortalizing that one, I like it.
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline E3E

« Reply #168 on: Sun, 06 December 2015, 21:02:31 »
Oh god, what have I even

Offline whmeltonjr

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #169 on: Sun, 06 December 2015, 21:07:24 »
Confession: I keep buying artisans and never use any of them.

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #170 on: Sun, 06 December 2015, 21:25:30 »
Confession: I keep buying artisans and never use any of them.

****ing true
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #171 on: Sun, 06 December 2015, 21:36:21 »
I try to view the mechanical keyboard community as a whole rather than some fragmented thing. 

+1  I really don't get the blind animosity between the groups.  Most people only see the worst of each "rival" community as those particular moments are showcased to them, and they miss all the positive moments that are far more prevalent IMO.

I don't really understand the mentalities people have on reddit, but I do like the r/MK community, just not the logic behind the voting. It could always be my craptastic camera, but I think I've seen potatoes get a bunch of votes. Either way, karma is so materialistic anyway--it shouldn't annoy me as much as it does, but eh.

I feel ya.  I've had some good success with reddit posts, but it does kinda bum me out when I post something that I think will be well-received and it isn't, while - as you say - something that's been posted hundreds of times is upvoted more.  And of course the karma isn't supposed to be what matters, but hey, it's fun to get some recognition.  :) 

It also really bums me out that I'm pretty sure there's a few redditors that automatically assume that I don't like reddit since I'm a GH mod.  :|  reddit got me into the hobby, how could I hate /r/mk??  Ah well, in the end it's not something I lose sleep over, but still.  :P

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #172 on: Mon, 07 December 2015, 06:46:59 »
I've been throwing things away versus trying to sell them.

Offline Solo

• Unreal
« Reply #173 on: Mon, 07 December 2015, 07:02:36 »

Lmao I did this with a bunch of gaming stuff. Although I donated it rather than tossing it. I literally got so tired of listing things on eBay that I eventually just threw a mass of systems and games into a box and drove it to the Salvation Army.

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #174 on: Mon, 07 December 2015, 07:15:08 »

plz throw away in my general direction

Offline Dernubenfrieken

« Reply #175 on: Mon, 07 December 2015, 08:04:22 »

Lmao I did this with a bunch of gaming stuff. Although I donated it rather than tossing it. I literally got so tired of listing things on eBay that I eventually just threw a mass of systems and games into a box and drove it to the Salvation Army.
I fear I may have to do this with some of my stuff. Haven't touched the N64 or SNES in ages, and somehow my apartment has collected 3 n64s between me and my roommates. Starting to get a bit much.

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #176 on: Mon, 07 December 2015, 10:43:14 »

I fear I may have to do this with some of my stuff. Haven't touched the N64 or SNES in ages, and somehow my apartment has collected 3 n64s between me and my roommates. Starting to get a bit much.

Hello yes I am here.
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #177 on: Mon, 07 December 2015, 10:44:21 »

Hello yes I am here.

Did someone say N64 and SNES? I like those things. A lot.

Offline E3E

« Reply #178 on: Mon, 07 December 2015, 11:53:05 »
When I first got my Octagon from Synjn back around June or so, I had never experienced anything plate-mounted (before this, I did switch swaps and SIP socketing, + a small layout rewiring with two Rapoo KX keyboards), and so I did not realize that Cherry MX switches had little retaining clips that locked them into the plate. Very little solder was used and there were SIP sockets that were either flush or recessed into the PCB.

For those wondering, I wanted to change the layout and I wanted to customize the switches (and get rid of the MX Greens) to my liking.

...  :-X

...  :-\

...  :blank:

I literally desoldered the switches, held the PCB upside down and used a torx driver to forcibly shove the switches out of the plate by pressing against the stem well of each switch. It was violent. Very violent. I actually had a little box under the PCB to catch the switches when they were flung downwards at high speeds.

It pretty much goes without saying that I had some ruined pads and LED traces. Miraculously, I somehow managed to fix every single issue despite a myriad of problems. I was determined not to let my $450+ purchase bite the dust.

I'm not sure if the plate was bent or what, but my technique was so terrible with plate-mounted boards due to my aforementioned inexperience, that I had to wedge the plate up with strips of solid neoprene to stop it from being pushed down (even with switches mounted). I think the switches did clip in, but the plate was just loose. It might've gotten slightly bent from all the trauma, lol.

Now I have a tool I use to clip onto switches and pull them out of the plate and I also use ChipQuik for desoldering those kinds of SIP sockets, as it makes them like 80% easier to desolder. Even using a vacuum-powered desoldering iron doesn't make THAT easy without ChipQuik.
« Last Edit: Mon, 07 December 2015, 12:00:08 by E3E »

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #179 on: Mon, 07 December 2015, 11:59:27 »

* HoffmanMyster accepts donations in the form of N64 and SNES video games.

Offline Touch_It

« Reply #180 on: Mon, 07 December 2015, 12:09:53 »
My (sort of) keyboard confession.  I was painting the switch plate for my Dell AT101W green during winter.  Decided I wouldn't back my black car all the way out of the garage.  Ended up getting a fine mist of green paint on the front end.  It has been 8+ months and I haven't told my wife :O.

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline Dernubenfrieken

« Reply #181 on: Mon, 07 December 2015, 12:40:06 »

Hello yes I am here.

Did someone say N64 and SNES? I like those things. A lot.

Hmmm, maybe a trading thread is in order.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #182 on: Tue, 08 December 2015, 04:01:06 »

Throwing things in my direction might be preferable, but shipping costs are silly.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline henz

• * Exquisite Elder
  • What?
« Reply #183 on: Tue, 08 December 2015, 04:03:04 »

you can buy all my games. have them in the classifieds. if you bulk buy ill sell you everything for a cheap buck

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #184 on: Tue, 08 December 2015, 09:06:27 »

you can buy all my games. have them in the classifieds. if you bulk buy ill sell you everything for a cheap buck

Unfortunately, I only need a select few from what you are selling so I can't take advantage of the bulk deal.  ;)  And I have purchased enough video games in the last year to cover me quite a long time (just ask Halverson and CPTBadAss :-[ ), I really should hold off on any more purchases.  :|

Offline henz

• * Exquisite Elder
  • What?
« Reply #185 on: Tue, 08 December 2015, 09:08:19 »

Unfortunately, I only need a select few from what you are selling so I can't take advantage of the bulk deal.  ;)  And I have purchased enough video games in the last year to cover me quite a long time (just ask Halverson and CPTBadAss :-[ ), I really should hold off on any more purchases.  :|

How about i trade you my games for a unique colored star! *bribe master*

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #186 on: Tue, 08 December 2015, 09:14:01 »
It feels good to sell things but also feels bad at the same time. :/

Offline E3E

« Reply #187 on: Tue, 08 December 2015, 09:22:19 »
It feels good to sell things but also feels bad at the same time. :/

Too true, brothah, too true.

It's like losing an old friend when something is sold off; even if it's a friend you haven't spoken to for a while, it's never fun to lose a friend. D:

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #188 on: Wed, 09 December 2015, 04:19:45 »
45g topre is too heavy for me. After I dental band modded my HHKB and thus reduced the travel and weight, I enjoyed it a lot more

I have a variable 87UB and I love the variable switch weighting idea, but I'm going to dental band mod it as well, which will give me ultralight 30g topre switches on some keys

sorry 55g topre lovers

Offline axtran

« Reply #189 on: Wed, 09 December 2015, 06:33:18 »
I bought SA Jukebox to convince myself that I was a true SA fan and didn't mind the colorway.

... I sold all of it and actually dislike typing on SA.
MX Silent > MX Vintage Black > Everything Else

Offline Ludovician

« Reply #190 on: Wed, 09 December 2015, 06:38:25 »
I've ruined two keyboards by trying to replace switches. I'm not entirely sure how, but on both boards about 1/3 of the keys simply do not work. I think I damaged the PCBs.
Typing speed:
More

My collection:
More
HHKB Pro 2 (Blank, white) | HHKB Pro 2 Type-S (Blank, white) | Topre Realforce 87UB silent-modded (not currently functional) | Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent (MX Brown) | IBM Model M 1391401 - 9th January 1991 (Bolt+Floss-modded) | Apple keyboard m0116 (Orange Alps) | Unidentified DIN Keyboard (White Alps) | ADDS 1010 (Green Alps) | AEK II (Linear-modded, USB-converted) | IBM PC-AT Model F | Noppoo Choc Mini (MX Black) | Amstrad PC2286 | BigKeys LX | IBM Model M 1391401 - 6th September 1990 | IBM Model M2 1395300 - 28th February 1991 | Leopold FC660C | Cherry G80-11802 (MX Brown) | Matias Tactile Pro (Simplfied grey Alps) | Razer Blackwidow (MX Blue) | Novatouch 55g | Focus FK-2001 (White alps) | DSE Multitech (Blue alps) | Dell AT101W (Matias quiet) | Pok3r (White w/Clears) | KBP V80 (Blue Alps)

Pending:
Infinity kit

Offline henz

• * Exquisite Elder
  • What?
« Reply #191 on: Wed, 09 December 2015, 06:41:20 »
I've ruined two keyboards by trying to replace switches. I'm not entirely sure how, but on both boards about 1/3 of the keys simply do not work. I think I damaged the PCBs.

It sounds like you pulled out the plugs in the hole. In som cades pass are connected through Cooper cylinders to the othwr side of the PCB. Or you simply ****ed the traces :)

Offline Ludovician

« Reply #192 on: Wed, 09 December 2015, 06:47:28 »

It sounds like you pulled out the plugs in the hole. In som cades pass are connected through Cooper cylinders to the othwr side of the PCB. Or you simply ****ed the traces :)

I'm guessing the traces. In both boards I only changed a couple of switches around, and based on which keys are not functioning it seems very likely that the traces are where the problem lies.
Typing speed:
More

My collection:
More
HHKB Pro 2 (Blank, white) | HHKB Pro 2 Type-S (Blank, white) | Topre Realforce 87UB silent-modded (not currently functional) | Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent (MX Brown) | IBM Model M 1391401 - 9th January 1991 (Bolt+Floss-modded) | Apple keyboard m0116 (Orange Alps) | Unidentified DIN Keyboard (White Alps) | ADDS 1010 (Green Alps) | AEK II (Linear-modded, USB-converted) | IBM PC-AT Model F | Noppoo Choc Mini (MX Black) | Amstrad PC2286 | BigKeys LX | IBM Model M 1391401 - 6th September 1990 | IBM Model M2 1395300 - 28th February 1991 | Leopold FC660C | Cherry G80-11802 (MX Brown) | Matias Tactile Pro (Simplfied grey Alps) | Razer Blackwidow (MX Blue) | Novatouch 55g | Focus FK-2001 (White alps) | DSE Multitech (Blue alps) | Dell AT101W (Matias quiet) | Pok3r (White w/Clears) | KBP V80 (Blue Alps)

Pending:
Infinity kit

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #193 on: Wed, 09 December 2015, 06:55:27 »

What were the boards?

Offline Ludovician

« Reply #194 on: Wed, 09 December 2015, 06:58:30 »
A first-gen Matias Tactile Pro with SKBM Grey and a Cherry G80-11802 with MX Brown
Typing speed:
More

My collection:
More

Pending:
Infinity kit

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #195 on: Wed, 09 December 2015, 07:04:41 »
A first-gen Matias Tactile Pro with SKBM Grey and a Cherry G80-11802 with MX Brown

Ahh thats brutal

Desoldering is not fun

Offline henz

• * Exquisite Elder
  • What?
« Reply #196 on: Wed, 09 December 2015, 07:20:01 »
i have a barbarian method of desoldering and removing leds. i put my plate and pcb vertically in my lap, i place my tweezers in between the led top and the witch, place my finger under the tweezer so i dont scratch the plate, then i move the soldering iron between the contacts with solder while im pulling. This is the most effective method in my experience, take like 30 minutes for a complete tkl board. After that i still need to do the switches but that works fine with a desoldering pump and a soldering iron. maybe 30 minutes more. So 1 hr to desolder a whole board.

Mah tweezers, needs to be something sturdy, otherwise the tweezers will buckle:

Offline losing_ctrl

« Reply #197 on: Wed, 09 December 2015, 07:52:34 »
At one of my old jobs I kept several keyboards in my cubical, stashed in one of my file cabinets. On my last day of that job (which had lasted 7 years), I realized that I had left one keyboard in my cube, but I chose to just abandon it. It was an Ortek MCK-142. Here's a link to what these  were:

http://www.monu-cad.com/MCK142_Keyboard.htm

I was distracted that day, and now kick myself for being so stupid. The switches on that board were too light for me, but honestly, it is such a cool board that I really wish I still had it, just to take out and use once and awhile.

Offline E3E

« Reply #198 on: Wed, 09 December 2015, 08:04:50 »
At one of my old jobs I kept several keyboards in my cubical, stashed in one of my file cabinets. On my last day of that job (which had lasted 7 years), I realized that I had left one keyboard in my cube, but I chose to just abandon it. It was an Ortek MCK-142. Here's a link to what these  were:

I was distracted that day, and now kick myself for being so stupid. The switches on that board were too light for me, but honestly, it is such a cool board that I really wish I still had it, just to take out and use once and awhile.

Wow. I never knew such a thing existed! Now I REALLY want to have one and swap all its switches with blue Alps switches.

Man, yeeeeah, leaving that board was not the best of ideas. :(  ...But it happens! Hopefully you have another board in your life that brings you happiness! :P

Offline losing_ctrl

« Reply #199 on: Wed, 09 December 2015, 12:00:34 »

Wow. I never knew such a thing existed! Now I REALLY want to have one and swap all its switches with blue Alps switches.

Man, yeeeeah, leaving that board was not the best of ideas. :(  ...But it happens! Hopefully you have another board in your life that brings you happiness! :P

Yeah, those Ortek MCK-142's were epic, and worth keeping even just as a link to keyboard history. I still kick myself for that. I have hope that I may run into a near mint MCK-142 to add to my stable.