Author Topic: Scissor-switch keyboards  (Read 3497 times)

Offline Zarick

Scissor-switch keyboards
« on: Sun, 17 September 2017, 07:06:05 »
Hello, I am looking for a new scissor switch keyboard for my desktop but each time I am looking for a new one it seems they have become more and more rare.
I am looking for a general purpose keyboard with numpad that I can also use for gaming. I am hoping to find some suggestions here because my own googling so far has only resulted in "This item is no longer being delivered/available" I am starting to think normal-ish scissor switch keyboards simply aren't being made anymore.

To help clarify what I am looking for my keyboards from the last few years have been: Logitech UltraX Premium (the perfect keyboard imo) and Gigabyte K7100 (Not nearly as good but it worked well enough)

Offline dante

Re: Scissor-switch keyboards
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 17 September 2017, 10:19:30 »
You have to keep hitting craigslist/ebay.  I just scored a NOS Ultra X Premium USB for $15.  It has much nicer (smoother) keycaps than the standard PS/2 model.

The Siig Premium Aluminum which has been around forever appears to have been recently discontinued.

I've also been searching for Enermax Aurora Lite's but those are very, very rare.

Offline jcoffin1981

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 17 September 2017, 17:44:32 »
You should check out the Logitech Illumintated Keyboard.  I have purchased several of them.  I think the corded one is of better quality.  This is my favorite scissor switch style board.
KPB V60 Gateron Browns and Leopold Keycaps.  Poker 3 with Gateron Browns and Poker keycaps.  Poker 3 with Cherry MX Browns, ABS keycaps and white LED's.

Leopold FC660M- my new favorite, right out of the box.

Offline Rodde

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 17 September 2017, 21:07:02 »
Seconded on the Illuminated suggestion. Pretty great for the price imo.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 18 September 2017, 01:40:16 »
Thirded, they are great keyboards.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline dante

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 18 September 2017, 07:57:09 »
Here is one I found on ebay.  I haven't tried it but if you can deal with an all white keyboard it might be worth it:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ASK5000WH-Low-profile-USB-wired-Keyboard-with-2-USB-Ports/311127236294

Offline dante

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 18 September 2017, 08:14:18 »
I am forever mutating.  I think I prefer the Dell KB-522 over scissor switch now. WTF.

Damn you Dell!

Offline Budman

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 21 September 2017, 01:26:26 »

Not for gaming they aren't. The later version of the k800 Illuminated have been purposely crippled by Logitech so that widely popular multi-key combo's used for games don't work together. In other words, it has bad ghosting issues.  https://community.logitech.com/s/feed/0D5310000510YzfCAE

For a gaming scissor switch, you will probably have to seek out a Razer Deathstalker or Gigabyte Force K7
« Last Edit: Thu, 21 September 2017, 01:31:54 by Budman »

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 21 September 2017, 01:52:40 »
In other words, it has bad ghosting issues.
BTW. You mean "it has bad blocking issues", where "blocking" is the method used for anti-ghosting. "Ghosting" means that a keyboard would produce extra key presses. The word "anti-ghosting" has been used wrongly a lot in advertising.

Offline Zarick

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 25 September 2017, 03:09:27 »
Thank you for all the suggestions. I remember looking at the k800 Illuminated a few years ago and not reading a lot of good stuff about it, I have been avoiding the logitech keyboards for a while now tbh I haven't had a great experience with them after the amazing UltraX.

The Gigabyte Force K7 seems the most likely candidate for now, I assume the lighting on the keys can be disabled?

Offline jcoffin1981

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 26 September 2017, 20:11:10 »

Not for gaming they aren't. The later version of the k800 Illuminated have been purposely crippled by Logitech so that widely popular multi-key combo's used for games don't work together. In other words, it has bad ghosting issues.  https://community.logitech.com/s/feed/0D5310000510YzfCAE

For a gaming scissor switch, you will probably have to seek out a Razer Deathstalker or Gigabyte Force K7

Yes, they did do this which I think is sleazy.  I used this as an excuse to return a replacement board and instead get a mechanical board.  This kind of turned me off to Logitech, although it didn't actually affect me.
KPB V60 Gateron Browns and Leopold Keycaps.  Poker 3 with Gateron Browns and Poker keycaps.  Poker 3 with Cherry MX Browns, ABS keycaps and white LED's.

Leopold FC660M- my new favorite, right out of the box.