Author Topic: I like KeyTronic Foam and Foil  (Read 4418 times)

Offline OldIsNew

I like KeyTronic Foam and Foil
« on: Sun, 17 September 2017, 21:28:08 »
First of all I'll mention that I'm really big on IBM BS boards, but in the last few months I've gotten into looking for older spherical key boards - because they just look so cool. It seems a not small percentage of the boards I've come across are older KeyTronic foam and foil.

I understand some people just don't like linear switches but beyond that there seems to be some special hate for KeyTronic foam and foil. Yes, they are a pain in the arse initially because, as many have noted, the foam has usually turned to brown gunk and has to be replaced - but once its done, I've found them to be rather nice switches. I'm not claiming a lot of experience since I've only rebuilt three of these boards (a Tandem 6530, a Westinghouse W1642A and a TRS-80 Model II) but I really like all three. I did complete foam and foil replacement and xwhatsit Model F to USB on the Westinghouse and TRS-80 Model II (the Tandem didn't need new foam) and I think they're nice, rather smooth linear switches - and I love the keycaps and the sound they make when typing.  I really don't find them "mushy" either - the springs seem to dominate the feel of the switches in my opinion.

So there I've said it - I like KeyTronic foam and foil.

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
Re: I like KeyTronic Foam and Foil
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 18 September 2017, 05:31:54 »
you should try getting yourself a BTC foam and foil, then you'll have MX compatible caps.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 18 September 2017, 08:51:08 »
you should try getting yourself a BTC foam and foil, then you'll have MX compatible caps.
If you have the older KT linear boards, like the ones OP seems to mention, they'll likely have caps WAY better than anything MX mount ;) . Say what you want about KT, they knew their way around keycaps.
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline dante

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 18 September 2017, 12:49:26 »
How does KeyTronic Linear compare to Fujutsu Leaf Spring?

Offline OldIsNew

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 18 September 2017, 14:30:23 »

The funny thing is I don't actually have any MX/MX compatible boards.

How does KeyTronic Linear compare to Fujutsu Leaf Spring?

I'm sure chyros could speak better to this, but I do have one Fujitsu 3rd gen leaf spring board - it is smoother than any of the KeyTronics I have. Still, I just like the look and feel of the old KeyTronic boards.
« Last Edit: Mon, 18 September 2017, 14:36:51 by OldIsNew »

Offline dubious

• 쏘쿨
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 18 September 2017, 15:08:42 »
in good condition, the feeling is quiet nice

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 20 September 2017, 14:05:20 »
FLS is virtually unbeatable for smoothness in my experience, which includes KT vintage foam and foil.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 20 September 2017, 18:40:06 »
I've often admired how great the old F&F boards looked, but assumed there'd be no point in trying to use any of them—after all, "foam and foil" sounds über-cheap, like "smoke and mirrors". But it's actually a doable thing, you say. Whoa! A new challenge to my marriage has just appeared on the horizon.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline OldIsNew

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 20 September 2017, 19:20:50 »
But it's actually a doable thing, you say.

It's definitely doable. Replacing the foam and foil is tedious but not difficult, and the xwhatsit Model F to USB has really worked well on the two boards I've used it on. I put some more pics and info here:

https://deskthority.net/workshop-f7/westinghouse-w1642-keytronic-foam-foil-xwhatsit-model-f-conversion-t17294.html

and here:

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=91650.0

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 20 September 2017, 20:07:07 »
Nice! Those keys are unparalleled.  :?)
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline OldIsNew

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 28 October 2017, 22:55:06 »
I'm posting to this thread again because I came across a board that I think explains why so many people hate KeyTronic foam and foil. I have several F&F boards with what I've seen generally referred to as "vintage" KeyTronic F&F switches, and I really like them:

181080-0          181082-1           181090-2

I recently acquired a a TRS-80 Model 12 keyboard that is a KeyTronic F&F with the switches pictured below. Fortunately, I didn't pay much for the board. The springs seem to be glued on and are quite flimsy. The cases are unbranded with short stems:

181084-3          181086-4          181088-5

The keycaps feel cheap and the switches are about the worst feeling switches I've ever tried. I thought these must be newer, cheapened version KeyTronic F&F, but the PCB is dated April 1983 so I'm not sure what to think. If I had to guess I'd say these would be called "low profile" versions, but whatever the reason for them, they are awful! So if you're interesting in trying KeyTronic F&F, I'd say be sure to look for the "old school" tall, branded switches for sure!

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 29 October 2017, 02:33:14 »
Is the PCB marked KT? There were several clone manufacturers of switches that looked like that. Not saying KT is better...

Offline OldIsNew

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 29 October 2017, 12:36:21 »
Is the PCB marked KT? There were several clone manufacturers of switches that looked like that. Not saying KT is better...

Yes, it's KT.  A disappointment, because I really am a fan of the tall stem version of their F&F switches. The short switches on this board are another story.  I was surprised to see a 1983 date on this PCB - when I saw the switches I was expecting something from the 90's.

181117-0          181119-1   

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 29 October 2017, 16:41:48 »
Interesting. The plot thickens.

Offline invariance

• ...here with all the other boson's
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 29 October 2017, 17:45:52 »
Possibly same pcb for different manufacturers requirements, ie cheaper switches?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The only BS I
want to hear is
from a Model M:
PN:1391401
DOB: 04FEB87
      Wyse 85      Mtek K104
SMK Blue: Chicony KB-5181; HyperX Aqua: HyperX Alloy Origins *Yet-to-rebuild: A 69 key C. P. Clare Foam & Foil assy *Rubber: Digital LK46W-A2; uSoft Natural Pro RT9401, Natural Multimedia 1.0A RT9470, Natural Ergonomic 4000 KU-0460; "Avid" Sejin SLKR2233; "Diamond Touch" Mitsubishi 6511-PB