Author Topic: Small wired mice (4" long)?  (Read 5008 times)

Offline glitchathon

Small wired mice (4" long)?
« on: Fri, 24 February 2017, 16:46:52 »
Hello,
I currently can only use smaller mice with a fingertip grip. Anything larger gives me a lot of tension. Mice I can get along with include the Logitech Anywhere MX, M525, and AmazonBasics Wireless. Unfortunately, I have not found any wired mice I can use comfortably. I prefer wired due to wireless interference problems with USB 3.0. Plus, I have mouse bungee so I can use wired mice without cord drag.

Any suggestions for some wired mice that are no more than 4" long? Thanks!

Offline munch

• !
Re: Small wired mice (4" long)?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 25 February 2017, 00:56:01 »
https://static.esea.net/global/images/content_images/10271.jpg

Zowie MiCo is the only one I can think of, and it's not easy to get and can get really expensive. scroll wheel tends to fail as well.

I want to say Zalman ZM-M600R as well but it's 110mm ish.
Logitech G102 / G203 or G Pro are also in the same ballpark, but the buttons are rather large so you can hold further back on it.
I fingertip mine, and it works really well. but my hands aren't at all small, so YMMV.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 25 February 2017, 01:17:55 »
Here's where most people using wireless make a mistake.

Do not buy cheap.
Yes, I know Logitech sells some for $15 or $30. A decent wired mouse is $30, how do you expect a wireless to be the same price and still be good.

Second and more importantly, don't buy ANYTHING other than Logitech or MS.
Yes, I know Razer and some others make nice wireless. Not one is as good as Logitech or MS higher end models.

Lastly, and this applies to ALL of them.
Get the receiver as close to the mouse as you can. Don't stick it in the back of your box, yes, Bluetooth can travel 30meters, but not when you have 5 layers of sheet metal in the way. Also, make sure it has direct line of sight with the mouse, don't stick it behind your aluminum keyboard. Yes, it may sound silly to buy a wireless mouse only to put the receiver inches away... The point is no wires to drag around, no one said it can be placed wherever you want.

I've been using exclusively wireless mice for over 20 years and so long as I did these things, I can count the random disconnects on one hand with fingers to spare. When I used cheaper models or a different brand, I had problems. My advice, look into the Logitech MX Anywhere 2, it's fantastic.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 25 February 2017, 01:25:25 »
logitech used to use a standard shape that's just a hair over 4" long that includes the mx300, g1, g3, and probably others.  You can still find these occasionally (mostly the g1) for ~$35.  I'm using a G3 right now, and I've used one of these three exclusively for the last 14 years.  Best shape there is IMO.
keyboards.

Offline glitchathon

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 25 February 2017, 01:42:07 »
Thanks guys. The G102 and G203 are interesting. I might try one of those. Leslieann, I do have the Anywhere MX, and considering the 2. But I still would like to at least see if there is a wired one that will work for me. Otherwise, the Anywhere MX 2 might be the best choice. Tameone, I will take a look at those. I was unable to find dimensions for G1 and MX300, but the Logitech site says the G3 is 5.13 inches? Is that right? I am afraid that would be too big for me.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 25 February 2017, 04:40:30 »
Dimensions on paper don't matter. Same-sized shells with side protrusions or a hump in the front/rear or nowhere at all will feel *very* different.

Some random mice, that I haven't seen mentioned:
  • DXT 2 [Wireless] Mouse (ambidextrous vertical, fingertip grip, optionally wireless, works fairly well)
  • Roccat Lua (ambidextrous flat, fingertip/claw grip, wired, very good quality), Roccat Kiro is an update with more features, but also high weight
  • Razer Salmosa (ambidextrous flat, very unique shape for fingertip grip, wired, old Razer quality) if you can find it