Author Topic: Suggestions for Advantage keyboard  (Read 287488 times)

Offline Salt Peanuts

Re: Suggestions for Advantage keyboard
« Reply #500 on: Sat, 29 October 2016, 11:24:21 »
Auto repeat is a feature of the operating system or PC bios. It is not a keyboard feature. Keyboards send only key-press, key-release events. One pair of events for one key press.

I get that, except the Pause/Break key auto repeats on my Adv2, Atomic, QFR, and CODE TKL.  I'd imagine if my OS was preventing Pause/Break on Adv1, it would do the same with all my other keyboards.

Offline vvp

« Reply #501 on: Sat, 29 October 2016, 17:46:22 »
That would mean that Adv1 sends key release even sooner than it should.

Offline Salt Peanuts

« Reply #502 on: Sat, 29 October 2016, 18:55:26 »
Still curious why it does this with just the Pause/Break key.  Not that I'd need have that key auto repeating.

Offline e_l_tang

« Reply #503 on: Sat, 05 November 2016, 14:29:33 »
Are there plans to make the thumb keycaps on the Advantage convex?

Offline Snarfangel

« Reply #504 on: Sun, 06 November 2016, 11:48:49 »
I just bought one of these and really like it.  :thumb:

I do wish there were a graphical interface to remap keys though, perhaps something similar to the keyboard layout analyzer http://patorjk.com/keyboard-layout-analyzer/#/config, since making macros for some of the keys that split shifted and unshifted characters in a layout -- like / and ? on a standard keyboard -- is a bit of a pain. I like having both / and ? unshifted. You also have to make these macros for both left and right shift versions, since it treats both differently. The keyboard really doesn't like having the files for text remapping edited with an outside text editor, either, which makes the simplest method of creating a layout editor less intuitive. But on the plus side, once you get a form you like, it is really performs well.

So all in all I still like it a lot, and I think I will like it even better as the firmware and support programs are improved. :)

Offline mannelig

« Reply #505 on: Mon, 07 November 2016, 05:25:28 »
I really hope sometimes you'll reconsider and there will be upgrade pack for Advantage 1. I'm quite happy with its mechanics (even rubber F-keys), but that old bug with sudden CAPSLOCKING is getting me tired.
Anyway, thanks for great work!
Kinesis Advantage review in Russian:
http://habrahabr.ru/post/146353/

Offline Salt Peanuts

« Reply #506 on: Mon, 07 November 2016, 12:06:03 »
I just bought one of these and really like it.  :thumb:

I do wish there were a graphical interface to remap keys though, perhaps something similar to the keyboard layout analyzer http://patorjk.com/keyboard-layout-analyzer/#/config, since making macros for some of the keys that split shifted and unshifted characters in a layout -- like / and ? on a standard keyboard -- is a bit of a pain. I like having both / and ? unshifted. You also have to make these macros for both left and right shift versions, since it treats both differently. The keyboard really doesn't like having the files for text remapping edited with an outside text editor, either, which makes the simplest method of creating a layout editor less intuitive. But on the plus side, once you get a form you like, it is really performs well.

So all in all I still like it a lot, and I think I will like it even better as the firmware and support programs are improved. :)
Regarding outside text editor, I've found it to work much better after I've made any changes with outside editor to eject/dismount the keyboard (as a storage media),  go to another layout, then switch back to your layout of choice.  I've also disabled the option to mount the keyboard as storage device on startup as leaving keyboard mounted was leading to some issues.

I really hope sometimes you'll reconsider and there will be upgrade pack for Advantage 1. I'm quite happy with its mechanics (even rubber F-keys), but that old bug with sudden CAPSLOCKING is getting me tired.
Anyway, thanks for great work!
I really should count myself lucky that I almost never encounter the good ol' stuck modifier bug on my Adv1.  I also use mine with hasu's USB-USB Converter so that may have something to do with it. 

Offline dvnmk

« Reply #507 on: Thu, 17 November 2016, 08:14:43 »
I hope also upgrade kit to adv2, but I think adv1 and 2 is so different.
So so, I upgraded the func keys mit cherry ml in diy stil.
It's not so difficult, but mechanical switch is super.
« Last Edit: Thu, 17 November 2016, 08:16:50 by dvnmk »

Offline Salt Peanuts

« Reply #508 on: Thu, 17 November 2016, 11:26:22 »

Do you have any internal pics of the function row key modification?  Do the function row PCBs support ML keys or did you hand-wire them?

Offline dvnmk

« Reply #509 on: Thu, 17 November 2016, 19:31:30 »

Do you have any internal pics of the function row key modification?  Do the function row PCBs support ML keys or did you hand-wire them?

MLs on PCB via hand-wiring

Offline glax

« Reply #510 on: Wed, 23 November 2016, 19:06:26 »
Got the advantage2 :D

I have some questions on programming and editing the layout files of the advantage2.

Is there a forum or any location where such discussions are placed best? 

Offline natas206

• * Commercial Vendor
« Reply #511 on: Mon, 05 December 2016, 15:58:28 »
Got the advantage2 :D

I have some questions on programming and editing the layout files of the advantage2.

Is there a forum or any location where such discussions are placed best? 

This thread is good for that kind of discussion or you can always create your own thread if you'd like. I'm from Kinesis btw and am happy to helpout! Sometimes I don't logon to Geekhack everyday though so for immediate support you can always email tech@kinesis.com

Offline natas206

• * Commercial Vendor
« Reply #512 on: Tue, 06 December 2016, 18:40:10 »
I know a few people wanted DVORAK ONLY key caps for their Advantage keyboards and we just got some today:

(Sorry for the crappy pic)

Can be purchased here. They are the same type of key caps that our current Adv2 and Adv1 keyboards use.

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
« Reply #513 on: Sat, 10 December 2016, 18:13:41 »
DVORAK legends only is nice.

I like seeing any improvements regarding keycaps :)
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline Salt Peanuts

« Reply #514 on: Mon, 12 December 2016, 19:25:49 »
Any update on Colemak-only keycaps that were mentioned on Twitter?  I wouldn't mind replacing the keycaps on my Classic with those.

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #515 on: Tue, 13 December 2016, 00:58:42 »
Oooohhhh COLEMAK legends...that's a dream I've had more than once.
I've been using COLEMAK since '09-'10 and I've realized I need to settle for no legends.

FUNNY STORY:
I went to with a keyboard buddy for sushi and saki and saki and saki. Later we swing by his place and he shows some of the latest stuff he's working on. I'm impressed. Then he sorta laughs and shows me a keyboard he made and says "This is a mix of the old and the new" and he holds it proudly for me to get in on the insider joke. I draw a complete blank. He says "Recognize the keycaps?" I sorta did but couldn't place it. "The most famous/infamous Geekhack group buy in history?" I'm still blank. "The 7-bit Group Buy #3 that took YEARS?" I'm like "OOOOOHHHH YEEEAAAA", then he says "And the layout?" I look again and draw yet another blank. "The third most popular keyboard layout?". I'm so blank you can write on me like a chalkboard at this point. "It's COLEMAK". And I'm like "OOOOOHHHH YEEEAAAA....Is it really the third most popular layout?" DERP!

LESSON LEARNED:
Saki killz

My REAL Kinesis Advantage keycap fantasy:
Black Kinesis Advantage......with black high quality keycaps.......with transparent legend for keycap backlighting.......with dark orange (sorta Geekhack color)......and the legends are......wait.....wait....wait for it.....KLINGON!
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  

Offline vatin

« Reply #516 on: Tue, 13 December 2016, 01:55:52 »
Pbt keycaps

Sent from my HUAWEI RIO-L02 using Tapatalk

OLKB Planck V6

Offline Fib

« Reply #517 on: Mon, 19 December 2016, 05:16:02 »

Very nice. How did you get your keycaps? I've tried doing this myself, but I couldn't find any cherry ml keycaps in the right size, and I've tried 3d printing keycaps to fit but have trouble making stems to fit the cherry ml switches.

Offline natas206

• * Commercial Vendor
« Reply #518 on: Tue, 10 January 2017, 17:47:19 »

Ah man, I totally missed this thread, awesome job on installing the ML switches. Where did you get the blank ML key caps? I'd like a source or two I can direct customers in the future. 

Offline dvnmk

« Reply #519 on: Tue, 10 January 2017, 22:48:08 »
Ah man, I totally missed this thread, awesome job on installing the ML switches. Where did you get the blank ML key caps? I'd like a source or two I can direct customers in the future. 

Very nice. How did you get your keycaps? I've tried doing this myself, but I couldn't find any cherry ml keycaps in the right size, and I've tried 3d printing keycaps to fit but have trouble making stems to fit the cherry ml switches.

from LEGO :)

Offline sordna

« Reply #520 on: Sat, 14 January 2017, 14:47:22 »
from LEGO :)

That's brilliant !  True geekhacker !
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline Salt Peanuts

« Reply #521 on: Mon, 13 February 2017, 19:02:04 »
So I finally got around to replacing the switches on my Advantage2 and Advantage.

Here are some photos of the process if anyone's interested.

http://imgur.com/a/V8x6H

Offline natas206

• * Commercial Vendor
« Reply #522 on: Tue, 14 February 2017, 17:09:30 »
So I finally got around to replacing the switches on my Advantage2 and Advantage.

Very nice work.

Offline weazen

« Reply #523 on: Wed, 01 March 2017, 11:59:53 »

This looks fantastic!

Offline F2a

« Reply #524 on: Wed, 07 June 2017, 10:37:54 »
After using the advantage 2 for a couple days I can say for sure I already want to add function keys.

Offline pasharik

« Reply #525 on: Sun, 21 March 2021, 18:13:07 »

MLs on PCB via hand-wiring

Hi,
I'm trying to do similar mod with replacing old rubber functional keys with ML switches.
I'm looking for a way to connect wires to the controller. I guess one option is to solder each wire on the back side of controller's PCB, but I'm afraid to damage it. So I was trying to connect wires using already existing 13-pin socket.
My wire connection does not work very well  :( , and I'm not sure if problem is with connection itself or may be I have a short circuit somewhere in my own PCB.
How did you connect wires from switches to the controller?

Offline dvnmk

« Reply #526 on: Mon, 22 March 2021, 05:15:27 »
Just solder with wire. Nothing will be damaged.
264993-0

Offline pasharik

« Reply #527 on: Mon, 22 March 2021, 09:53:01 »
Just solder with wire. Nothing will be damaged.

Thank you! This connector on your picture is a very good idea, I'll use something similar.

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #528 on: Tue, 18 May 2021, 01:11:49 »
Would be nice to see some more in dept photos of the work you are doing for the function switches.

Offline james97

« Reply #529 on: Wed, 09 June 2021, 10:08:58 »
A bit more colorful, not just black and white at the moment, I guess ;D

Offline pasharik

« Reply #530 on: Mon, 13 June 2022, 17:39:25 »
Some pictures