Author Topic: suggestions for nylon switch housings (i'm not up on the new stuff)  (Read 2067 times)

Offline nevin

looking for some suggestions on switches.... mainly sound & feel (at a decent price)
i haven't purchased switches in a couple years and i'm not up on all the different variants that have popped up lately.

- i like the sound of the old black cherry nylon housing (little deeper than PC)
- i don't like the sound of PC (polycarbonate/clear/transparent) housings (higher pitched)
- a lot of switches don't specify what material they are using
- it doesn't have to be nylon, just can't "sound" like PC
- will be swapping out the springs and stems anyway, so spring weight and stem really don't matter.

i remember hearing talk about newer cherry switch molds being messed up which is my only hesitation of just getting cherry switches.

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Keeb.io Viterbi, Apple m0110, Apple m0120, Apple m0110a, Apple 658-4081, Apple M1242, Apple AEK II, MK96, GH60/Pure, Cherry g84-4100, Adesso AKP-220B, Magicforce 68

Offline kiks64

Re: suggestions for nylon switch housings (i'm not up on the new stuff)
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 13 February 2022, 10:12:55 »
I can't help you much because I've owned very few switches. But for my project I was looking for switches that were smooth, soft and inexpensive, and I chose the Gateron Pro Milky Yellow.
It's a mix of nylon and pc with pom stems, and they're stock lubbed. I'm happy with it even though I know there are not the "thockiest" switches  :)

Offline TheIcyKoala

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 14 February 2022, 00:54:44 »
From what I gather cherry's nylon blend is quite unique in terms of it's sound. If you are going to be doing a bit of mixing of switch parts I would defiantly consider putting a cherry top on what you end up making as it will give you that lower pitched top out sound without introducing too much of that cherry scratch or wobble (granting you film).

Offline nevin

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 14 February 2022, 04:39:58 »
thanks for the suggestions.
Keeb.io Viterbi, Apple m0110, Apple m0120, Apple m0110a, Apple 658-4081, Apple M1242, Apple AEK II, MK96, GH60/Pure, Cherry g84-4100, Adesso AKP-220B, Magicforce 68