Author Topic: Cherry MX Trampoline Mod!  (Read 92992 times)

Offline mecano

Re: Cherry MX Trampoline Mod!
« Reply #200 on: Fri, 18 December 2015, 05:18:28 »
What about sorbothane? As it is *said* to be the most efficient material available nowadays for shock absorption, it may be used in a much smaller proportion and so be of better use with cherry profile caps (ie not reducing the switch travel as others). Problem will be to find proper size sheets and cut them I guess.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #201 on: Fri, 01 January 2016, 00:10:23 »
I don’t know if sorbothane really makes sense for this use case. Sorbothane is a great tool for damping high-frequency vibrations when it’s under a particular range of load. This makes it great for e.g. isolating delicate components from shock, or isolating loudspeakers from whatever surface they’re sitting on. I don’t know if anyone uses it in applications where the sorbothane itself would be directly impacted starting from zero load.

You could probably reduce keyboard noise by e.g. squeezing a piece of sorbothane in between a PCB-mounted switch and the PCB (though you still would have a direct connection via the solder, so all you’d really prevent is plastic-on-plastic collisions), or using sorbothane pieces to isolate PCB/plate/case/table from each-other.

Offline spectre6000

« Reply #202 on: Thu, 04 February 2016, 17:25:25 »
(First post)
Intro: Software engineer by day, shop rat (wood, metal, machines, etc.) by night. I build and maintain all my own rides, and I don't own any newer than me.

I have an answer for the liquid latex longevity issue. Permatex Right Stuff gasket maker.

It is used to seal engines where you have to deal with lots of chemicals, vibration, heat, time, pressure, and on and on and on. In the muscle car world, this is the preferred way to seal an intake manifold on a performance-oriented V8. Ditch the factory end seals, and lay a bunch of this stuff down. Seriously heavy duty stuff. It sticks very well to ABS (the material the switch housings are made of), but does NOT stick well to the stem material (fortunately/unfortunately). When cured, it feels very much like silicon, but they call it "elastomeric 'formed-in-place' material".

In my initial test, I applied a small amount on a single switch with an eyeglass screwdriver. This worked very well. In a subsequent test, I applied a crap load with the same screwdriver, allowed it to fully cure, then trimmed away the excess (seems more repeatable and less monotonous over ~100 keys). In the latter case I left a much heavier amount, and the result was complete silence on the upstroke. A properly mounted red/black with this, o-rings, stickers, and a little grease will be absolutely completely silent without qualification.

You can get it at any FLAPS (Friendly Local Auto Parts Store). I'm not sure what sizes it comes in, but I get the size pictured and it runs about $20 a tube. You definitely won't use all of it, but it can get pretty messy and there will be quite a bit of waste. It's not especially smelly, but it's super messy. If it gets on anything but an absolutely smooth surface, it's permanent. It can be permanent on smooth surfaces as well if not wiped up immediately. It's nasty stuff in that regard. Wear properly fitting gloves and disposable clothing.

There are other types of gasket maker available with different qualities. I imagine there are harder and softer varieties (different feels). Save the ultra-high temp stuff for exhausts though (I believe it contains copper, and thus presents some potential concerns), this is the only stuff I really use in the shop. Of all the varieties I've used though, this is the most hard core and least likely to let go.
« Last Edit: Thu, 04 February 2016, 17:28:14 by spectre6000 »

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #203 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 11:19:09 »
Interesting! If you end up doing this again, please shoot some photos, or videos.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #204 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 17:59:54 »
I strongly preferred the naked switches to the silicon balls. Long time passed and I finally got the silicon balls from IMSTO, I tried them but again, I really hate the mushiness, any way, I gave it a try.

Offline spectre6000

« Reply #205 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 22:26:30 »
[url]https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=79400.0[/u]

Uploading videos now (assuming they ever make it through the tubes). I was going toward a slightly different goal, but I think I ended up with something with a similar net result.

Offline rioc

• Very Text - 键盘上瘾 ____rioc industries ink.
« Reply #206 on: Tue, 30 May 2017, 02:21:19 »
I read through the whole thread but couldn't find comment of someone who tried all options. (Cut up O-Rings, punched out landing pads (or similar) and silicone balls).

Did anyone here try multiple variants and if so, which one was best or most consistent?

PS:

Offline dubious

• 쏘쿨
« Reply #207 on: Fri, 02 June 2017, 18:36:20 »
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=50632.msg1894447#msg1894447

Oobly tried out all three, and gives a short comparison of each.

I'm interested in the silicon/gasket maker mod... might be worth trying silicon on the stems, similar to how they make the new Cherry MX Silent switches..

ghetto silent clears  :eek:

Offline lordchecksalot

« Reply #208 on: Tue, 15 February 2022, 19:55:56 »
I tried this with sorbothane inside the pole and it felt better than the o-ring (both o-ring trampoline and o-ring standard application).  More specifically, it felt more progressive and there was no hard stop.

Very interested to hear if anyone else tries the permatex (noted above by spectre) as that sounds the most promising.