Author Topic: Question about the ergodox keyboard vrow  (Read 3921 times)

Offline meepcode

Question about the ergodox keyboard vrow
« on: Thu, 04 May 2017, 13:42:38 »
    I am just wondering if when you press shift+a number on the ergodox, if it will create a symbol, and I am also wondering how to change said symbol.  Thanks!

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Re: Question about the ergodox keyboard vrow
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 04 May 2017, 13:43:29 »
As far as I know the ergodox is fully programmable so you can make it do whatever you want.

Offline ErgoMacros

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 04 May 2017, 15:04:30 »
Hi,
As far as I know there are 3 (possible) ways:
1. The Massdrop layout configurator for ergodox. Sorry, I don't have the URL handy.
2. The EdgoDox-EZ Layout editor. See: http://configure.ergodox-ez.com/keyboard_layouts/new
     Be sure to click the blue link: Clone and modify layout to get started.
3. Or compile the C code (most powerful, harder to do).
   These are the instructions I use for that because I have ergodox-ez and want some of these additional functions.
       https://github.com/algernon/ergodox-layout
   but there are other instructions to be found. Either "google" or search Geekhack.
good luck!
Today's quote: '...“but then the customer successfully broke that.”

Offline LuX

• 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 04 May 2017, 15:54:10 »
The problem is that keyboards only send scan codes, and changing that won't do the effect you are asking for... Well, you might be able to do some Frankenstein level stuff by sending the right scan code through complex programming, or perhaps sending alt codes, but I think the easier way is to use The Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator. That will literally do what you want. If you need something more portable, you could look into AutoHotkey or similar programs and carry it in a flash drive.

Edit: That is, assuming you are on Windows...
« Last Edit: Thu, 04 May 2017, 15:57:04 by LuX »

Offline ErgoMacros

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 04 May 2017, 17:20:53 »
Hi,

Yes, the processor on the keyboard scans the rows & columns looking for key-down and key-up. When it finds it it sends looks up the row and column in a table and sends the matching keyboard scancode to the computer via USB (or whatever).

If you've got a $15 Dell keyboard that's all you get on the keyboard side. Nothing is programmable.

If you've got a programable keyboard, however, you have more options.

Let's say your Esc key came at Row-0, Column=0.
Further let's say CapsLock is at Row=3, Column=0.

If you want to swap "Esc" and "Capslock" you can change the code emitted by each key by changing the look-up table. So Row=0, Col=0 will output the code for CapsLock instead of Esc.

(There are more complex options as well.)

Then, you never need The Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator, or similar, or a different program for every OS you use.
Every computer you bring your keyboard to will behave as you like.

Especially useful for Ergodox where the layout is "so odd" everyone will want something at least a little different.

Offline LuX

• 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 04 May 2017, 20:21:13 »
You don't need to lecture me. The OP asked to change the output of a shifted character, that's something scan codes can't directy achieve .

Offline vvp

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 05 May 2017, 03:29:26 »
You can change the meaning of chords (like Shift-A) on-the-fly (anytime without any support from OS or a PC software) with these firmwares:Other open firmwares can do it too but they may need to recompile and flash new firmware configuration to do it.
From the finished commercial products, at least Kinesis Advantage can do it on-the-fly.

Offline LuX

• 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 05 May 2017, 04:29:02 »
You can change the meaning of chords (like Shift-A) on-the-fly (anytime without any support from OS or a PC software) with these firmwares:Other open firmwares can do it too but they may need to recompile and flash new firmware configuration to do it.
From the finished commercial products, at least Kinesis Advantage can do it on-the-fly.

Interesting... How does it work? It was my understanding that there is no usb standard for sending character codes. So the option left is that it sends alt sequences, but won't that cause problems in non text programs such as games and cad? Or is there some other trick? What's the behaviour in those programs like? Legit interested, but I don't have the time to go through the code right now.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 05 May 2017, 04:50:04 »
QMK can send Unicode.

Offline LuX

• 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 05 May 2017, 05:41:54 »
QMK can send Unicode.

I'm more wondering about the how. In QMK documents the say "Unicode input in QMK works by inputing a sequence of characters to the OS, sort of like macro. Unfortunately, each OS has different ideas on how Unicode is inputted." For windows that's pretty much as I expected; alt sequence. Mac and Linux, I'm not entirely sure if they have a built in way to handle unicodes, but none the less, if portability is an issue that would make the keyboard unusable on any other OS than the one it was configured for. Also, in any of the above cases, I believe that would result in undefined behavior within non-text based programs, because they expect a scan code and not a random character. Also for the above cases you need to configure the settings in the OS to have them work in the first place. Doesn't sound that convenient. I would say that some open-source multi-platform remap program on a flash drive would be the best for portability. For personal use the layout editor would be the best option, because that's pretty much what you are supposed to use for guaranteed compatibility.

Offline vvp

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 05 May 2017, 06:07:24 »
Heh, sorry, I did not notice that you want support for all of the Unicode.

You can send only what the OS driver will support. You can send Unicode code points directly if you have your own keyboard driver which will accept Unicode code points. Otherwise (with the current standard keyboard drivers) the keyboard is interpreted based on the selected locale. As for as the special characters, you can go with Alt sequences on windows and Compose sequences on Linux. There are drivers to support Compose on Windows too (I do not know how well they work). Then one can have it the same both on windows and Linux. If there are differences then keyboard firmware can provide "configurations" where you can switch layouts with a special key combination. Chris' firmware has support for this. Though it does not replace also the macro definitions when changing configurations. I'll plan to support this in my branch but it is not there yet.

If somebody knows a firmware which is able to store and on-the-fly reconfigure not only keyboard layout but also all the macro (or interpreted program) definitions then please respond.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compose_key

Offline LuX

• 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 05 May 2017, 07:03:10 »
Ah, that makes sense, basically what I referred to as Frankensteining the scan codes in a non-standard fashion. But that has the same limitations (or more) than what I mentioned, in casual use it's probably fine. I think the OP was implying any unicode with "change said symbol". I guess there is no perfect solution here, but a good amount of options are mentioned. Someone should send a letter to the USB committee and ask them to add an optional 'request unicode character' parameter along with the scan code that could be favored in text input applications. Can't see them ever doing though, it would solve one problem but introduce ten more.

Offline ErgoMacros

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 05 May 2017, 13:51:18 »
(Lux, sorry for what came off as lecturing. I skimmed the OP too quickly and missed the "shift+" element of the question so the OP question seemed basic and fundamental. My remarks were intended to be educational for the OP.)

Algernon has a unicode approach, described here: https://github.com/algernon/ergodox-layout#unicode-symbol-input
And, alas, described as "This is an experimental feature, and may or may not work reliably." but may be worth looking at.

Not sure how he's detecting which OS the keyboard is connected  to.

Cheers!