Author Topic: Eyes protection  (Read 14077 times)

Offline Excuse-Me

Eyes protection
« on: Tue, 10 October 2017, 16:06:02 »
Hello there
I would like to know if you have good advices to protect eyes while been working on my computer
Is there any recommended glasses for that??
Thank you

Offline Duckyreddy

• Better skadoodle, poodle.
Re: Eyes protection
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 10 October 2017, 16:17:42 »
Eye protection is important, especially if you work long hours in front of the screen, I use a Low-blue light setting on my monitor which essentially turns the colourway to a slightly warmer temperature, it helps quite a lot especially when I'm working at night, most modern monitors should have this built in.  :thumb:

Ducky One Cherry MX Silent Reds

Leopold FC660M MX Blue
Logitech G403/ Razer Naga 2014

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 10 October 2017, 16:23:19 »
That and antiglare coating. (Glasses like gunnars or equivalents from your local optometrist may help with this too.)

Also "eye yoga" and keeping eyes wet.
« Last Edit: Tue, 10 October 2017, 16:24:51 by davkol »

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 10 October 2017, 16:26:19 »
What do you mean?

Like when doing case mods with power tools? Any cheap protective goggles should be fine.

There are people that use yellow-tinted glasses so as to not disturb their sleep cycle with cold light when using the computers at night... but you could just as well use software that tints the screen's colours.
Some recent modern OS'es and devices have a night mode built in.

Then there are people who use "computer glasses", that are similar to "reading glasses" because of far-sightedness or astigmatism. If high-resolution text on the screen looks blurry then you should see an optician.

If your eye sight is fine, then I would not worry.
I do believe, however that using bright monitors or bright point-lights (such as backlit keyboards) in too dark rooms can lead to eye strain. Too brightly lit rooms with direct sun and reflections is also bad.
It is probably best to have a moderate amount of ambient light and a keyboard with legible legends that are not backlit.
« Last Edit: Tue, 10 October 2017, 16:28:28 by Findecanor »

Offline Duckyreddy

• Better skadoodle, poodle.
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 10 October 2017, 16:49:42 »
That and antiglare coating. (Glasses like gunnars or equivalents from your local optometrist may help with this too.)

Also "eye yoga" and keeping eyes wet.

As mentioned, These "Gunnar Optiks" are glassed with coated lenses installed, these coatings claim to cut down visual stress fatigue and artificial blue light and are marketed towards heavy computer users, gamers and even graphic designers, I'm sure they come in prescripted specifications too!
I've never looked into them or used them so I can't tell you much about them.

I would say the best thing for your eyes are to take regular breaks and go outdoors to relief your eyes every 30 minutes or so.  ;)

Ducky One Cherry MX Silent Reds

Leopold FC660M MX Blue
Logitech G403/ Razer Naga 2014

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 10 October 2017, 17:49:30 »
it depends on what you do.

if your software UI is tune-able for grey text on black background, that is best.

If not, then ANY yellow tinted glasses will work..

Cutting out blue light is the key.

That said.. if Computer use is the problem,  the correct solution is to Stop using the computer.

Offline Tom_Kazansky

• Oblivion Knight
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 10 October 2017, 21:06:12 »
you can tune the color of your monitor, that will work though if you want to see right color, you have to tune it back (what a hassle).

so my solution is pc glasses, I'm using a pair from elecom http://www2.elecom.co.jp.e.gj.hp.transer.com/life-goods/glass/og-yblp01/ (retailers on Amazon should have these)

another reason for me to choose pc glasses instead of tuning is that I have >10 years old monitor (don't know if tuning still work on it, lol)

you also should keep other suggestions in mind, moderate your computer usage.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 11 October 2017, 03:43:35 »
... keeping eyes wet.
Good point. Many office environments are too dry. That depends of course a lot on the climate where you live.

If your air is too dry, then that could also dry out your nose and allow dust - which could cause more allergic reactions than otherwise, and also dry your skin.
The solution is to use a air humidifier.

Offline AMongoose

• happy workman user
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 11 October 2017, 04:32:51 »
That said.. if Computer use is the problem,  the correct solution is to Stop using the computer.

Are you going to become a computer vegan?  :p

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 11 October 2017, 05:29:10 »
I had more luck turning the brightness down a few shades than using the fancy computer glasses.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline vvp

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 11 October 2017, 05:53:27 »
Yep, adjust color balance of your monitors to warmer colors. Make sure there are no reflections on your monitors. If they have glossy finish then you need to adjust the angles of the monitors or room lightning; or get matte monitors. If you still have some reflections on the monitors then use white background in your applications. If you do not have reflections then use dark background. Check with peripheral vision that your monitors are not blinking. If yes get monitors with higher refresh rated (CRT) or higher brightness PWM (LCD). Put white sticker on any glowing LEDs (on your computer case or your keyboard). The sticker is not pretty but it will dim them nicely. Make sure you are at a location where the air is still.

Offline yensteel

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 11 October 2017, 13:14:25 »
I use three methods,

the first is blue light reduction glasses. You can get lenses that are both darken-when under uv and blue light blocking. Its worth it.

The second is to habitually adjust the brightness of the monitor. lower it at night, etc. F.lux also helps, but its more for better sleep cycles than eye protection.

the third is to take breaks. I'm not doing this well, only whenever my eyes feel tired but it should be more often than that.

There have been at least one report of people losing eyesight because of staring at their screen too long, this one is from October 6 2017:

http://www.scmp.com/news/china/society/article/2114214/chinese-woman-loses-sight-one-eye-after-marathon-session-playing
21 years old only :(

Oh, I also want to add yearly checkups. Problems like glaucoma can be detected early and cannot be cured once noticeable. (That's a scary silent killer)

Offline Excuse-Me

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 11 October 2017, 15:52:52 »
thanks all ,,,

its really helpful solutions
i appreciate that .

Offline LuX

• 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 13 October 2017, 16:28:00 »
http://www.scmp.com/news/china/society/article/2114214/chinese-woman-loses-sight-one-eye-after-marathon-session-playing
21 years old only :(
Murphy's law... Luckily this isn't some global epidemic.

Windows 10 comes with a feature called Night Light, it's pretty useful. Allows you to change the color from a subtle yellow tint to a completely red mode. The yellow setting is useful around the clock but setting it a bit more red is pleasant during nights. I think it also tries to maintain saturation to some extent, so it's not like most programs that just blend an opaque panel across the screen.

The problem about eyes drying has more to do with staring and forgetting to blink. It's just something you need to remember to do consciously until you learn to keep doing it automatically. I've also seen eye drops that help dry eyes.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 13 October 2017, 18:14:00 »
Tp4 Mode, The Darkness Consumes !!

180150-0

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 13 October 2017, 19:02:45 »
OMG.. installed honor of kings..  WTF guys.. this is awesome,  it gets rid of alot of the tedious stuff in LOL, made by the same company.

I can see how this would be addicting to children..  If I had this game as a kid, I wouldn't go to skool.. hahahaha, or do my homework.

Offline LoveYouFyi

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 16 October 2017, 11:51:56 »
Over 20 years I have tried many things to help with eye problems due to monitors and lighting.  I've purchased many different monitors, screen tinting, glasses, etc.  Finally, the two things that worked best overall were:

1) Turn down the brightness and contract as low as you can without it causing you to squint or have problems looking at the screen

2) Get a high-end monitor.  Get an EIZO.  Dell, ASUS, MAC do NOT sell high end monitors, regardless of how much you shell out.  They do not manufacture, outsource, or sell high end monitors.  Mac sells pretty looking monitors that are trash.  Dell, ASUS and all the other standard manufacturers sell junk

3) Yup, get an EIZO.  They are superior, and last much longer than the competition. 
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1107577-REG/eizo_flexscan_ev2455fx_bk_widescreen_lcd.html

Offline yensteel

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 16 October 2017, 11:59:18 »
Now that you've mentioned it, is buying a flicker free monitor important? For me it is.

Seems like Eizo monitors have auto dim brightness control, very nice feature to have, as well as less than 1 percent brightness control for night mode for their newest ones. Very ergonomic

Offline LoveYouFyi

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 16 October 2017, 12:07:55 »
Extremely ergonomic.  And they have a small form factor as well.  Notice the edges of the monitor are about 10 millimeters.  I have two of those 24 inch monitors and then a 27inch Eizo Color Edge that cost $1500.  They are awesome.  I cannot imagine using anything else. 

When I go on vacation, I take the two 24 inch monitors with me in two Gator Cases, here's a link for larger monitors, but mine are for up to 24 inch monitors:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1222506-REG/gator_cases_g_lcd_tote_md_padded_nylon_carry_tote.html

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 16 October 2017, 14:05:26 »
BTW. If I could I would double all my light sockets: a could bulb and a warm bulb, and control them all with an automatic dimmer that varies the colour temperature during the day.
I know that there are "smart" bulbs, but they are much more expensive and violate the KISS principle.

3) Yup, get an EIZO.  They are superior, and last much longer than the competition. 
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1107577-REG/eizo_flexscan_ev2455fx_bk_widescreen_lcd.html
It has only 94.07 PPI.  But yes, an ambient light sensor is something that all monitors should have.
I wish the light sensor's output was also available as a USB device and exposed through a standard API so that the result could be used to control light output of other peripherals.

Offline LuX

• 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 17 October 2017, 16:36:55 »
BTW. If I could I would double all my light sockets: a could bulb and a warm bulb, and control them all with an automatic dimmer that varies the colour temperature during the day.
I know that there are "smart" bulbs, but they are much more expensive and violate the KISS principle.

Philips makes "Scene Switch" bulbs which go from 'bright warm' to 'medium orange' to 'dim red' in color. They are not that expensive either, around 6€ on sale. I've been trying one out and enjoy it very much. Not automatic though, but I like the simplicity and ease of use. You just flick the switch to change mode.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 18 October 2017, 20:39:30 »
Yea.. or i could just buy 3x lamps.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
  • on Buckling Springs since '88
    • http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 01 November 2017, 22:49:45 »
Over 20 years I have tried many things to help with eye problems due to monitors and lighting.  I've purchased many different monitors, screen tinting, glasses, etc.  Finally, the two things that worked best overall were:

1) Turn down the brightness and contract as low as you can without it causing you to squint or have problems looking at the screen

2) Get a high-end monitor.  Get an EIZO.  Dell, ASUS, MAC do NOT sell high end monitors, regardless of how much you shell out.  They do not manufacture, outsource, or sell high end monitors.  Mac sells pretty looking monitors that are trash.  Dell, ASUS and all the other standard manufacturers sell junk

I second getting an EIZO.  I have almost a dozen of their older CRT displays because they are practically flawless.  I could sit and stare at one of those for up to 20hrs without eye fatigue.  Not cheap, but not cheaply made either.  They are top-notch stuff.  And when you think about putting a price on your eyesight, the extra expense of a good monitor is pennies on the dollar.  ;)

Offline typo

« Reply #23 on: Wed, 01 November 2017, 23:35:39 »
TP, how did you do that?

Depending on the size of the monitor the best thing is called a privacy screen. it goes over the monitor and no glasses needed. it is very easy on your eyes but going to be dark. you can turn up the brightness some. these 500cdm monitors will burn my eyes out in minutes. very dangerous and gaming kids do not know they will be blind at 30.

I had an NEC which was a good high end display. My new Eizo CG-4K is freaking insane. Not sure anyone wants to spend that other than a photographic studio. It was worth it because the picture is surreal. It is the Prominence. This is not like my query of overpriced chairs. I hear they are very uncomfortable. This is worth it because it is gorgeous. Again, some might see a price conflict :)

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #24 on: Thu, 02 November 2017, 00:05:44 »
I would love to get an Eizo like that.  Sadly, I'm going to have to settle for whatever can do 2560x1600 and be available and reasonably priced since I can't put a CRT at this desk.

Offline typo

« Reply #25 on: Thu, 02 November 2017, 19:50:22 »
A good CRT is free now and maybe better than under $500 panel. The issue is your back and radiation. There is no reason to touch them now due to the radiation. Anyways biggestyou get is 21 except I think for that sony 16:9 was 23 or something. Funny that was like 6 grand once. Some day LCD's will be replaced, No, OLED is not better for a monitor.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #26 on: Fri, 03 November 2017, 00:25:35 »
The hard part is finding a CRT anymore.  I got a bunch of free ones a couple of years back including a nice Sony 20", but I can't bring one of those to this desk because the wife will make comments--so it will have to be a flat screen, hopefully not crappy.

Offline Phenix

« Reply #27 on: Fri, 03 November 2017, 06:13:37 »

What do you think of the LG27" 4K - is that junk as well?
(i own one, so im curious)
Winter is coming.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #28 on: Fri, 03 November 2017, 10:08:38 »

What do you think of the LG27" 4K - is that junk as well?
(i own one, so im curious)
A lot of time monitors can be like keyboards in that one will fit you better than another.  If it's perfect for you, then that's the right one.  :thumb:

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Typing on: Brutal60, Lavenders Linears, GMK Jamon
« Reply #29 on: Sun, 05 November 2017, 22:10:11 »
I would very much recommend either Felix Gray or Pixel glasses. They are great glasses for filtering blue light, but they also have an aesthetic appeal..... or just adjust your monitors.
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline gak1234

[pwnd by Massdrop]
« Reply #30 on: Mon, 06 November 2017, 08:56:21 »
[pwnd by Massdrop]
« Last Edit: Fri, 06 July 2018, 08:02:37 by gak1234 »

Offline topretoucher

« Reply #31 on: Tue, 28 August 2018, 10:03:31 »
Eye protection is important, especially if you work long hours in front of the screen, I use a Low-blue light setting on my monitor which essentially turns the colourway to a slightly warmer temperature, it helps quite a lot especially when I'm working at night, most modern monitors should have this built in.  :thumb:

I do this as well. I use it all through the day, warm temperature and dimmed brightness. Surprising how quickly you adjust. Could never go back!