Author Topic: Anyone buying an iPhone 6?  (Read 117345 times)

Offline Belfong

Re: Anyone buying an iPhone 6?
« Reply #300 on: Fri, 21 November 2014, 22:59:44 »
So, I'm going to the mall to get a Spigen case. Slim Armor or Neo Hybrid? I can't tell the difference from the website. Or should I go  with Tough Armor? Decisions!

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
« Reply #301 on: Sat, 22 November 2014, 00:27:53 »
Those 2 Spigen cases (Neo Hybrid/Slim Armor)are damn sweet looking. And one of them comes with the JWAZ seal of approval! Did anyone ask if he had a couple Czech beers before dumping his on the mean streets of SF from his bike?

My concern is a serious drop and the gas breaking/denting a corner. I have a proven track record of smashing iPhone glass screens. I have a 6 Plus which is bigger and heavier, so I'm imagining it may not hold up as well as the Jwazcell. I'm still kicking around having 2 cases, a slim, sexy job like Spigen and a heavier duty jobber like this Ballistic that I'm waiting for in the mail:
https://www.goballisticcase.com/shop/apple/iphone-6-plus/urbanite/#.VHAq04tRrMW

A construction buddy just got a Samsung Note 4, which seems pretty nice, but once he encases it in an Otterbox knock-off with an additional screen protector it seems like crap. He wanted to show how good videos are on it. First thing he does...takes it out of the case so he can remove the screen protectors, lol
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline Belfong

« Reply #302 on: Sat, 22 November 2014, 00:43:22 »
So I was at the mall and the guy was nice enough to let me take a look at all 3 types of Spigen. The Hybrid is no good because it does not have a hard back. Bendagate and what not. So it's down to Slim Armor and Tough Armor. Both weigh the same, so it's a aesthetic and durability question. I ended up with Tough Armor because, I think I will be clumsy with the 6+. If it's not me, it going to be my 5 year old and 3 year old daughter. For protection sake, I went with Tough Armor.

It feels really good. Love the grip! Time will tell if it's a good case.

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #303 on: Sat, 22 November 2014, 00:49:25 »
Soooo.... you're like my buddy with the Oterboxed Note 4...you can't tell what a sleek phone machine you spent all that money on!

Watching news here in San Francisco. A window washer fell 11 stories and landed on a moving car, crushed the car, didn't hurt the driver, but the guy that fell is still alive and may survive. 11 stories! Maybe he should a be encased in an Otterbox.
« Last Edit: Sat, 22 November 2014, 00:56:49 by Input Nirvana »
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  

Offline Belfong

« Reply #304 on: Sat, 22 November 2014, 01:04:36 »
I went naked from iPhone 3G, 4, 4S and then slim casing on the 5S. The 4S has just too many battle scars. I think I'm ok to have a tank armor at this juncture. Let's see if my pocket/pants will like it as much, lol.

Offline Laiyo

« Reply #305 on: Sat, 22 November 2014, 01:49:32 »
I went naked from iPhone 3G, 4, 4S and then slim casing on the 5S. The 4S has just too many battle scars. I think I'm ok to have a tank armor at this juncture. Let's see if my pocket/pants will like it as much, lol.
Funny, for me it was the other way around. 4S was the last one of mine that I used a case with. The iphone 5, which was all black, was pretty banged up for me after a year, the 5s however was a miracle and looks like new today. I feel like the iphone with the rounded edges can take even more heavy daily use before getting scratches.

Offline YoungMichael88

• HHKB Wannabe
  • * Elevated Elder
  • After all, music soothes even the savage beast
« Reply #306 on: Sat, 22 November 2014, 01:53:55 »

I couldn't imagine putting an otter box or any other bulky case on a phone that is already this big. The increased size would probably lead to more drops anyway as it's harder to handle and easier to fumble. I went Neo hybrid metal. Yes, the back is soft but I feel the aluminum bumper might give it another 10 pounds or so of flex protection. Oh and it makes the phone look pretty fantastic. I personally feel that all otter boxes and all bulky "tough" cases are just way too ugly and well, bulky (this thing just fits into my pocket as is). I too was very worried about bendgate when I was waiting for my phone and for a few weeks after. Now, I'm pretty confident that it is in fact way overblown (486 bent phones reported to oneofthenine.com out of 40 million sold as of three hours ago. Or in other words 0.00122% of all devices sold) This phone is plenty strong enough to withstand day to day use. Also the Neo hybrid has shock absorption built into that soft part of the case. Any other solid, rigid case will not protect against shock without cushion. I paired the case with a tempered glass screen protector and now my phone is about 95% covered on all sides excluding the home button and the apple logo on the back (yuck). I regularly check my iphone for bends on flat surfaces and it isn't bent at all, not even a hair. I carry it in my pocket (front, cuz I'm not an idiot) all the time, I sit down with it in my pocket, drive with it in there, etc.

TLDR: If you find otter boxes or other "tough" cases visually appealing, then by all means use one. But if bendgate is preventing you from getting something that shows off your iPhones sexiness a little more, then I think you are worried for nothing.
Too Soon™          LZ-GH       Full Metal Poker

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #307 on: Sat, 22 November 2014, 02:09:52 »
There is no bendgate.
Yet another thing that goes "viral" for 15 mins of fame.
Sensationalism.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #308 on: Sat, 22 November 2014, 02:55:47 »
There is no bendgate.
Sensationalism.

Everything has to be a major issue for it to attract any attention, and thus money. But there does seem to be a problem with the strength and build of the new iPhones, allowing them to be bent during normal day-to-day use, and Apples way of dealing with it has been pretty mixed.
Hopefully this whole thing will push the seemingly new Tim Cook Apple forward and force the old Steve Jobs Apple away...

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #309 on: Sat, 22 November 2014, 03:21:58 »

There is no bendgate.
Sensationalism.

...there does seem to be a problem with the strength and build of the new iPhones, allowing them to be bent during normal day-to-day use...

Huh.
Qualified,verified citation? (other than guy purposefully bending phone on YouTube for subscribers)

I'm sure my phone is exactly the same as the other 40 million sold so far. it doesn't show any signs of defective weakness or I would return it. Nor did the half dozen phones I pressed at Apple and ATT.  It's more delicate of an item than it could be, that's for sure...its a high use mobile device that has glass, it's thin, unlike candybar phones from 10 years ago. If it was really bending and was a real problem people would be returning, it would still be headline news, and there would be serious action at some level to pursue the problem. But so far there isn't. 

There's no bendgate, but phones will break from misuse. From what I can tell the phone seems fine, and I'm rough with phones. But I know there are definitely smaller, tougher phones in the market, but that doesn't mean the 6 Plus has proven "problems" at this point. It's not mil-spec.

Huh.

Offline YoungMichael88

• HHKB Wannabe
  • * Elevated Elder
Anyone buying an iPhone 6?
« Reply #310 on: Sat, 22 November 2014, 03:30:41 »
There is no bendgate.
Sensationalism.

Everything has to be a major issue for it to attract any attention, and thus money. But there does seem to be a problem with the strength and build of the new iPhones, allowing them to be bent during normal day-to-day use, and Apples way of dealing with it has been pretty mixed.
Hopefully this whole thing will push the seemingly new Tim Cook Apple forward and force the old Steve Jobs Apple away...
I dunno. Granted, the phone isn't as strong as its predecessors or some of its competition, but is that really a  flaw in design or even a legitimate problem considering the numbers and data? You could literally take a flawless product, slap an apple logo on it and people will find it's "weakness" and exploit it in the media. 90 pounds is a lot of force to be called normal day-to-day use.

EDIT: Too late. My point was taken in the above post!
« Last Edit: Sat, 22 November 2014, 03:32:54 by YoungMichael88 »

Offline Belfong

« Reply #311 on: Sat, 22 November 2014, 03:46:09 »
Wow! Anyone use Display Zoom?

"The iPhone 6 Plus in zoomed mode displays the equivalent of what's displayed on the iPhone 6. While the amount of content on the iPhone 6 in zoomed mode is equivalent to the iPhone 5S."

Gotta be my favorite feature!!

Offline YoungMichael88

• HHKB Wannabe
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #312 on: Sat, 22 November 2014, 03:57:10 »
I compare this bendgate "problem" to recalls on motor vehicles. If it's a legitimate, widespread design flaw, then of course the company will recall every unit of that model or offer a fix to all owners for free. Assuming that it is in fact a design flaw/oversight at the fault of the company. But they will not do a recall or fix because a very small percentage of people get say a blown wheel bearing (which is bound to happen). It's the same with the iPhone. The number of effected people is so small compared to units sold that the design and strength of the phone is obviously completely acceptable, therefor apple will not (and should not) be held responsible for replacing every bent unit no questions asked. Seriously, a 0.00122% failure rate should almost be praised for being so low.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #313 on: Sat, 22 November 2014, 03:58:35 »

There is no bendgate.
Sensationalism.

...there does seem to be a problem with the strength and build of the new iPhones, allowing them to be bent during normal day-to-day use...

Huh.
Qualified,verified citation? (other than guy purposefully bending phone on YouTube for subscribers)

I'm sure my phone is exactly the same as the other 40 million sold so far. it doesn't show any signs of defective weakness or I would return it. Nor did the half dozen phones I pressed at Apple and ATT.  It's more delicate of an item than it could be, that's for sure...its a high use mobile device that has glass, it's thin, unlike candybar phones from 10 years ago. If it was really bending and was a real problem people would be returning, it would still be headline news, and there would be serious action at some level to pursue the problem. But so far there isn't. 

There's no bendgate, but phones will break from misuse. From what I can tell the phone seems fine, and I'm rough with phones. But I know there are definitely smaller, tougher phones in the market, but that doesn't mean the 6 Plus has proven "problems" at this point. It's not mil-spec.

Huh.

Mmhmm and I never had a problem with the signal with my iPhone 4... Guess that was all lies too eh loool

Offline YoungMichael88

• HHKB Wannabe
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #314 on: Sat, 22 November 2014, 03:59:02 »

Wow! Anyone use Display Zoom?

"The iPhone 6 Plus in zoomed mode displays the equivalent of what's displayed on the iPhone 6. While the amount of content on the iPhone 6 in zoomed mode is equivalent to the iPhone 5S."

Gotta be my favorite feature!!
I haven't tried zoomed mode yet. I don't find the text too small in standard mode and I love having all that extra stuff on my screen. I'm gonna give that zoom a try tho for a few hours.

Offline Belfong

« Reply #315 on: Sat, 22 November 2014, 04:01:15 »
That's because you are Young, Michael. Ha ha. Display Zoom is great for old eyes like mine.

Offline YoungMichael88

• HHKB Wannabe
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #316 on: Sat, 22 November 2014, 04:09:56 »

That's because you are Young, Michael. Ha ha. Display Zoom is great for old eyes like mine.
Do you have one of those giant calculators too?

Offline Belfong

« Reply #317 on: Sat, 22 November 2014, 04:21:58 »
Lol, as a matter of fact, yes. But I think I don't need it anymore as I have the giant 6+ as calculator!

Offline YoungMichael88

• HHKB Wannabe
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #318 on: Sat, 22 November 2014, 04:25:01 »

Lol, as a matter of fact, yes. But I think I don't need it anymore as I have the giant 6+ as calculator!
iPhone 6+. Putting giant novelty calculator makers out of business since 2014

Offline Belfong

« Reply #319 on: Sat, 22 November 2014, 04:32:36 »
There's a great write up on Display Zoom in daring fireball:

It’s a great solution for anyone who wants a bigger iPhone to show larger content instead of more content. On the iPhone 6, zoomed mode looks a little fuzzy to my eyes. Not bad at all, just a little fuzzy. It should be unnoticeable to anyone whose vision is such that they’d want to use this feature. On the iPhone 6 Plus, it looks nearly perfect. I’m not sure I detect any fuzziness at all. Using the downsampling technique that allows the 1920 × 1080 display to masquerade as a 2208 × 1242 display in standard mode, in zoomed mode, the 401 PPI density and @3x retina graphics allow it to just work, and look nearly perfect, masquerading as a 2001 × 1125 display. It makes sense — in both modes, standard and zoomed, the iPhone 6 Plus is scaling down at @3x, not scaling up at @2x.

I'm so in love with this feature. Probably the most under rated.

http://daringfireball.net/2014/09/the_iphones_6

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #320 on: Sat, 22 November 2014, 05:09:46 »
I can see why some people might like it, but it's not really a feature most users would probably want or be interested in. It's a cool accessibility option.

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #321 on: Sat, 22 November 2014, 11:30:59 »

There is no bendgate.
Sensationalism.

Huh.

Huh.

Mmhmm and I never had a problem with the signal with my iPhone 4... Guess that was all lies too eh loool

Dude, I didn't say it was lies, and don't take the discussion personally. It's one thing to say "This is my opinion" verses saying your opinion is a quantified fact.

"Antennagate", yet another 15 min. sensationalist media frenzy, was clearly shown to be a fairly similar signal issue with most phones from several top-line phones in a well publicized Apple demonstration. Maybe the iPhone 4 was slightly more susceptible due to skin touching the antenna, I don't remember all the details. The free bumpers were a piecemeal "catch up" for Apple to show they were being responsive, but mostly a PR stunt. The most clear message we get from all this is that anything Apple does gets unparalleled scrutiny, good, bad or whatever. They innovate, make and deliver some amazing stuff, and it's definitely not 100% perfect. Maybe 88% perfect or whatever. But it's certainly fun to bash what's popular and be a skeptic, especially on the web.

Offline YoungMichael88

• HHKB Wannabe
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #322 on: Sat, 22 November 2014, 14:29:12 »

There is no bendgate.
Sensationalism.

Huh.

Huh.

Dude, I didn't say it was lies, and don't take the discussion personally. It's one thing to say "This is my opinion" verses saying your opinion is a quantified fact.

"Antennagate", yet another 15 min. sensationalist media frenzy, was clearly shown to be a fairly similar signal issue with most phones from several top-line phones in a well publicized Apple demonstration. Maybe the iPhone 4 was slightly more susceptible due to skin touching the antenna, I don't remember all the details. The free bumpers were a piecemeal "catch up" for Apple to show they were being responsive, but mostly a PR stunt. The most clear message we get from all this is that anything Apple does gets unparalleled scrutiny, good, bad or whatever. They innovate, make and deliver some amazing stuff, and it's definitely not 100% perfect. Maybe 88% perfect or whatever. But it's certainly fun to bash what's popular and be a skeptic, especially on the web.
Yea, my 4 never had antenna problems. Nor did the 4 that many of my friends had. I never heard of a single case IRL where anyone had any issues with "Antennagate" on their iPhone 4. But of course if you throw a hashtag involving iPhone up on Twitter and get someone to make a YouTube video with Apple tagged in it, it will get hyped and blown up. You could probably choose any component from any phone of any manufacturer out there and if that company had as many haters and skeptics as apple does, you would definitely see an equal or greater number of reports of that component being faulty as you do with the iPhone's bending. The iPhone simply suffers from "The Apple effect".

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #323 on: Sat, 22 November 2014, 14:34:21 »
I mean, all I was trying to say was just because an issue dsnt hit you directly, dsnt discredit the issue...

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #324 on: Sat, 22 November 2014, 14:47:38 »
I mean, all I was trying to say was just because an issue dsnt hit you directly, dsnt discredit the issue...

Tru dat 100,000%.

BUT...just because a tiny fraction of people report a an alleged problem that COULD be a devastating deal changer...does NOT mean it is in fact a REAL issue (poor design, manufacturing, etc). Every day I encounter 5% of people are total nut-job-freaks-that should be medicated/institutionalized. So using that figure as a guideline, I'm guessing that bending iPhones reported by the .001% of people (that we have no proof they even purchased an iPhone) could easily fall into the 5% of nut-job-freaks-that should be medicated/institutionalized.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #325 on: Sat, 22 November 2014, 14:54:07 »

Tru dat 100,000%.

BUT...just because a tiny fraction of people report a an alleged problem that COULD be a devastating deal changer...does NOT mean it is in fact a REAL issue (poor design, manufacturing, etc). Every day I encounter 5% of people are total nut-job-freaks-that should be medicated/institutionalized. So using that figure as a guideline, I'm guessing that bending iPhones reported by the .001% of people (that we have no proof they even purchased an iPhone) could easily fall into the 5% of nut-job-freaks-that should be medicated/institutionalized.

But Apple don't put out figures do they?

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #326 on: Sat, 22 November 2014, 14:57:48 »

Tru dat 100,000%.

You win.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #327 on: Sat, 22 November 2014, 15:04:31 »
^^

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #328 on: Sat, 22 November 2014, 17:46:29 »
Back to cases, I got the Ballistic Urbanite, the black grippy soft-touch in the mail. It's 12-13mm thick and 83mm wide for the 6 Plus. It's sort of a medium case, not big not slim. It's easier to hold the phone now, not as slippery and the thicker sides allow more contact area so it feels much more secure. But I sure loved the sleek Apple leather case I tried in the store!

EDIT: add links
review - http://techaeris.com/2014/10/25/iphone-6-plus-ballistic-urbanite-case-review/
best price I found ($17 today) but I paid $20 eBay - http://www.amazon.com/BALLISTIC-Urbanite-Case-iPhone-Plus/dp/B00M9UG9SG/ref=lh_ni_t?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3CK3HACG2SM4Z
« Last Edit: Sun, 23 November 2014, 01:02:19 by Input Nirvana »

Offline YoungMichael88

• HHKB Wannabe
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #329 on: Sat, 22 November 2014, 21:05:02 »

Tru dat 100,000%.

Well, Apple released the sales figures for this quarter on iPhone 6/6+ and claim 39.2 million sold. More time has past since then so it's probably well over 40 million but let's just stick to 40 million for now. The 0.001% comes from my math using bent phone reports from the site oneofthenine.com whose figures are posted to Twitter under the hashtag #bendgate regularly. Most people who know about bendgate have searched it on Twitter (it was a major trending topic for a long time) and have likely come across the OneOfTheNine tweets. There's now 494 reported bends on there as of about 30 mins ago. Now, I know that not everyone is going to report their bent phones there, but for the sake of this discussion lets increase that number drastically by 100 times to 49400 cases of bent iPhones. That would still only be 0.124% which is still a very low number haha. I'm not arguing here, I'm just trying to ease the minds of the skeptics who fear the bends.

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #330 on: Sat, 22 November 2014, 21:12:07 »
So I tried to like Android on my OnePlus One but just couldn't get over how poor the notification system is so it looks like I'm keeping my 6 plus. I have been researching cases all day and eventually settled on the Zagg InvisbleShield Orbit case in gray. I saw that the BestBuy a couple miles away had them on hand so I went and picked one up for $25.

I really like how minimal the case is, it's really just a bumper and not a case. Since I've never had an issue dropping any of my phones (knock on wood) I really just wanted something to keep the camera lens elevated so it wouldn't get scratched. The only complaint I have is that the button covers have way too much play and rattle like crazy. I need to figure out something to use to stop the rattling and this case will be perfect for me.

BTW, I was one of those unfortunate people who had *horrible* antenna issues without a case on the i4. My cell signal would drop from like 4 bars to 1 bar by doing nothing other than touching a certain part of the case. I worked with multiple people who had the exact same problem.

Realforce EK45 (Silenced)  |  Realforce 87UW (45g)  |  Realforce 87UWS (Variable)
Filco MJ2 TKL (Cherry Clears)  |  Phantom 87 (78g Gateron Clears)  |  Phantom 86 (67g Zealios)

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #331 on: Sat, 22 November 2014, 21:14:56 »
Click this link and this portion of the thread with be over. Finally.

http://www.lg.com/us/mobile-phones/gflex

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #332 on: Sat, 22 November 2014, 21:30:50 »
So I tried to like Android on my OnePlus One but just couldn't get over how poor the notification system is so it looks like I'm keeping my 6 plus. I have been researching cases all day and eventually settled on the Zagg InvisbleShield Orbit case in gray. I saw that the BestBuy a couple miles away had them on hand so I went and picked one up for $25.

I really like how minimal the case is, it's really just a bumper and not a case. Since I've never had an issue dropping any of my phones (knock on wood) I really just wanted something to keep the camera lens elevated so it wouldn't get scratched. The only complaint I have is that the button covers have way too much play and rattle like crazy. I need to figure out something to use to stop the rattling and this case will be perfect for me.

BTW, I was one of those unfortunate people who had *horrible* antenna issues without a case on the i4. My cell signal would drop from like 4 bars to 1 bar by doing nothing other than touching a certain part of the case. I worked with multiple people who had the exact same problem.

I saw that case at Best Buy, I think it looks sharp, and you can get it to match the phone color so it almost disappears.
I have a hard time understanding the comment "I never drop my phone". Inevitably, my phone is with my 98% of the time, and my activity varies from a little to a lot, and some very type A hustling around town. Never dropping a phone is not an option though I'm generally very careful with stuff.

Offline Belfong

« Reply #333 on: Sat, 22 November 2014, 21:50:34 »
Yeah, I'm extremely careful with my phones but since it's something I bring around everyday, dropping is inevitable. And with the 6+ being such a huge device, I'm not used to handling it at all. It's like a new class of device for me and so I needed that extra protection until I can handle it well.

Offline YoungMichael88

• HHKB Wannabe
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #334 on: Sat, 22 November 2014, 22:36:03 »

I saw that case at Best Buy, I think it looks sharp, and you can get it to match the phone color so it almost disappears.
I have a hard time understanding the comment "I never drop my phone". Inevitably, my phone is with my 98% of the time, and my activity varies from a little to a lot, and some very type A hustling around town. Never dropping a phone is not an option though I'm generally very careful with stuff.
In all honesty my iPhone 4 was only ever dropped once in its life time. The day I bought it. By my friend Greg. Call me lucky, but I have never dropped my iPhone 4 not once the entire 4 years I had it. It never fell out of my pocket or off a table etc. With that said, I will always have cases with drop protection because you can't just decide to not drop something. It either happens or it doesn't.

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #335 on: Sat, 22 November 2014, 23:30:19 »

In all honesty my iPhone 4 was only ever dropped once in its life time. The day I bought it. By my friend Greg. Call me lucky, but I have never dropped my iPhone 4 not once the entire 4 years I had it. It never fell out of my pocket or off a table etc. With that said, I will always have cases with drop protection because you can't just decide to not drop something. It either happens or it doesn't.

Never dropped iPhone 4 in 4 years. Absolutely unbelievable. lol
Me: screen replacement, wi-fi sometimes works, the speakerphone + video microphone doesn't work, gps can only get within 1/8 mile (useless in the city), some small chips/dings on the edges. The screen really should have shattered a half dozen times, so I consider myself lucky. Screen broke in my pocket.

I don't know what to do with my 32gb iPhone 4, I doubt I can get much money for it. Maybe convert it into a keyboard trackpad?

Offline YoungMichael88

• HHKB Wannabe
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #336 on: Sat, 22 November 2014, 23:34:18 »

Never dropped iPhone 4 in 4 years. Absolutely unbelievable. lol
Me: screen replacement, wi-fi sometimes works, the speakerphone + video microphone doesn't work, gps can only get within 1/8 mile (useless in the city), some small chips/dings on the edges. The screen really should have shattered a half dozen times, so I consider myself lucky. Screen broke in my pocket.

I don't know what to do with my 32gb iPhone 4, I doubt I can get much money for it. Maybe convert it into a keyboard trackpad?
Hahaha no matter how unbelievable it is, it's still the absolute truth! Everything on my 4 is perfect except the home button is a little bit of a prick sometimes and needs a few presses to work. I never used a screen protector the entire time and there isn't even a single scratch in the glass either.

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #337 on: Sat, 22 November 2014, 23:44:25 »
SONOFA*****!
Do you have to rub my nose in it? That thing belongs in a museum, it's perfect. What's that vintage dialer WORTH? Do you live in an hermetically sealed egg? Did you use a case?

Over 1460 days in use about 99% of the time, damage happens. I don't think I've ever used a case, but I've meant to get one like about every week.

Offline YoungMichael88

• HHKB Wannabe
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #338 on: Sun, 23 November 2014, 00:36:01 »

SONOFA*****!
Do you have to rub my nose in it? That thing belongs in a museum, it's perfect. What's that vintage dialer WORTH? Do you live in an hermetically sealed egg? Did you use a case?

Over 1460 days in use about 99% of the time, damage happens. I don't think I've ever used a case, but I've meant to get one like about every week.
it was only out of a case maybe the first week I had it. That's when it was dropped. But luckily it was on a basement carpet. First I had it in a bamboo wooden case. Then it went into a mophie juice pack for the remainder of its days.

Offline Belfong

« Reply #339 on: Sun, 23 November 2014, 00:54:03 »
This reminds me of an incident once. I parked my car beside a small drain. It was drizzling and I got off the car and the phone, which is in my pants pocket slipped out, drop on the gravel road, bounced into the drain. I remember my face turning white as I thought that it is gone for sure, the drain is not deep but there's flowing water! And when I turned to look, the iPhone 4s was inside the drain but the drain has steps, like a jagged V if you cut it in half and look at it from the front - the phone stood precariously at that step, just inches away before it dropped into the water! OMG, that was how lucky I was!!!

And this makes me super worry with the 6+ because it is so big, it doesn't go deep into my pants pocket! I am afraid it might fall out of my pants when I get out of a car!

Offline YoungMichael88

• HHKB Wannabe
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #340 on: Sun, 23 November 2014, 01:47:47 »
This reminds me of an incident once. I parked my car beside a small drain. It was drizzling and I got off the car and the phone, which is in my pants pocket slipped out, drop on the gravel road, bounced into the drain. I remember my face turning white as I thought that it is gone for sure, the drain is not deep but there's flowing water! And when I turned to look, the iPhone 4s was inside the drain but the drain has steps, like a jagged V if you cut it in half and look at it from the front - the phone stood precariously at that step, just inches away before it dropped into the water! OMG, that was how lucky I was!!!

And this makes me super worry with the 6+ because it is so big, it doesn't go deep into my pants pocket! I am afraid it might fall out of my pants when I get out of a car!
With that mentality, you'll probably form habits for making sure it doesn't fall out which is probably a good thing. I'm doing that now too I notice. I place my hand on my pocket when exiting my vehicle. I don't even realize I'm doing it sometimes.

Offline Belfong

« Reply #341 on: Sun, 23 November 2014, 02:01:44 »
We are slaves to our devices! Ha ha ha!

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #342 on: Sun, 23 November 2014, 02:20:00 »
I think it's fair to compare it to the antena nonsense of the iPhone 4. It's a design floor but it's not a reason to just not buy the phone.

Offline Belfong

« Reply #343 on: Sun, 23 November 2014, 03:03:46 »
SOOOO... What is this TLC and MCL NAND chip nonsense that cause some iPhone 6 Plus to hang and boot looping?

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #344 on: Sun, 23 November 2014, 03:50:02 »
Yea, and why does my phone not rotate portrait-landscape sometimes? If it's that crsppy "RotateGate" I've got sevetal days left to return and buy a brickphone.

Offline IPT

• Formerly projectD
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #345 on: Sun, 23 November 2014, 04:11:37 »
i got a tech21 impact case for my Note4 =)
And I got my mom the same case for her 6 plus.

btw seriously Bendgate is silly.
Personally i don't prefer the iphones but the bendgate stuff is just trololo.
Just look at consumer report's video

You know how much force is needed to bend these phones? lol.

Offline Belfong

« Reply #346 on: Sun, 23 November 2014, 06:44:05 »

Yea, and why does my phone not rotate portrait-landscape sometimes? If it's that crsppy "RotateGate" I've got sevetal days left to return and buy a brickphone.
It doesn't rotate because you are in Display Zoom mode. Do you mean the Home screen?

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #347 on: Sun, 23 November 2014, 07:32:58 »
SOOOO... What is this TLC and MCL NAND chip nonsense that cause some iPhone 6 Plus to hang and boot looping?

MLC nand is the desirable one. Performance is light years ahead of TLC. TLC supposedly has a shorter lifespan and some people are even blaming the wifi bug on devices with TLC memory. Also, some people are reporting problems with their TLC phones once they've used 90%+ of their storage.

MLC vs TLC performance benchmarks

How to check TLC or MLC

FWIW, My current 16gb 6+ has MLC and I have no wifi issues. I hope the 64gb I have coming arrives with MLC memory! It seems like it's mostly the 128GB phones that came with TLC but there are definitely some users out there saying their 64GB has TLC.

Realforce EK45 (Silenced)  |  Realforce 87UW (45g)  |  Realforce 87UWS (Variable)
Filco MJ2 TKL (Cherry Clears)  |  Phantom 87 (78g Gateron Clears)  |  Phantom 86 (67g Zealios)

Offline Belfong

« Reply #348 on: Sun, 23 November 2014, 07:36:30 »
Thanks strict. I hate to jail break my phone just to find out about this. Is there no other way? Perhaps I should load it up with movies and test it out?

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #349 on: Sun, 23 November 2014, 07:38:19 »
Thanks strict. I hate to jail break my phone just to find out about this. Is there no other way? Perhaps I should load it up with movies and test it out?

About half way down that page they have a section on how to check non-jb phones using an IOKITBroswer application  :thumb: