Author Topic: O-Ring Mod on Das Keyboard w/ MX Blues  (Read 22400 times)

Offline ViciousXUSMC

• http://www.ViciousComputers.com
O-Ring Mod on Das Keyboard w/ MX Blues
« on: Mon, 25 July 2011, 02:09:47 »
Hey guys, I have lurked the forums here and there and the other day started to google for a fix to the absurdly loud space bar on my Das Keyboard.  I bumped into the EK Soft Landing Pads thread here and read it through.

Somewhere in there somebody mentioned a mod called the o-ring mod and gave the part# and website for a good potential part to do the mod with.  I searched and could not find any sound samples, videos, or pictures of this mod for some reason only had seen it mentioned.

So I took it up to order the o-rings and make a video of the mod.

I am SUPER happy with the mod, the keyboard feels great, just as good or better than before and it took the vast majority of the sound away that I was having problems with but I do not feel it "neutered" my keyboard.  I still hear the switches and feel all the tactile feedback.

I have done all the keys (including space, enter, shift, etc) except the 10 key and F-Keys.  I will do those at a later time.

Here is the video so you can check out the sound samples and get a little insight on the mod.

http://youtu.be/79rWQ-CU9Lw?hd=1

Now I really want a MX Red board to do this too I think that would be so awesome.  Also I still sort of want to test both the firm & soft landing pads from EK to compare the sound dampening and feel v.s. the o-ring mod.  If anybody has a few spare and does not mind forwarding them to me with some snail mail PM me and I will do a follow up video comparing sound and feel.  I wish I had ordered 2 packs now because I am sure at some point I am getting a Brown or Red keyboard and will want to do this mod and hate to pay that $5.00 shipping again :(

Offline WasabiJ

« Reply #1 on: Mon, 25 July 2011, 02:39:56 »
I just bought them today.  Part number2418T114.  For some reason McMaster-Carr hates linking.

Just an FYI, the o-ring depicted here is the softest one on the site, in the correct dimensions.  You can go to the main page and select o-rings to get it in a different material that's harder.

Offline ViciousXUSMC

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 25 July 2011, 02:47:23 »
yeah it was recommended that softer = better.

I was thinking after the mod that it would be more personal preference.  I like the 50's though.

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 25 July 2011, 03:21:20 »
I bought 2 packs of O-rings (#250) because of the shipping issue. I dig the feel and after only a few days can't imagine not using the O-rings.

Thanks for the video/sound samples.
« Last Edit: Mon, 25 July 2011, 18:09:49 by input nirvana »
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline ViciousXUSMC

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 31 July 2011, 09:47:17 »
Did you put yours on blues or another switch type?  I just did it to my new keyboard with browns and it did not make a big change on the sound but the feel is still better.  Infact I think it made the feel of the browns even better than how it made the feel of the blues better if that makes sense.

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 31 July 2011, 10:53:20 »
[ Guests cannot view attachments ] 22931[/ATTACH]
http://geekhack.org/showwiki.php?title=Island:5450&viewfull=1&page=4&do=comments#post385117

Mine are on browns, Sordnas are on browns and reds. I have reds that the O-rings will go on soon.

I'm dialing in the O-rings, and I have a suggestion. Rather than put them on as far down (up) the stem as they will go, try putting them on the end, and putting the key cap on, and pushing the key cap till it stops, thereby moving the O-ring into place. On my Kinesis, sometimes the switch stem bottoms out first, sometimes the struts on the underside of the keycap. You can only know this if you look at keycap and switch thats not installed in your hand, (not installed). You will find the sweet spot. And, the downstroke sound will get a LOT quieter.

NOTE: On the Kinesis Contour, there are 12 different sizes, shapes, depth, angled keycaps. Some may work really well, some may work very poorly because of this, I haven't had the time to look that closely and consider the individual keycap situations. For you, it should be much easier because of the greatly reduced number of keycap styles (about 5?).

I think someone put 2 O-rings on a key for some situation, I have not (yet).
« Last Edit: Sun, 31 July 2011, 23:40:50 by input nirvana »
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  

Offline ViciousXUSMC

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 01 August 2011, 09:13:13 »
Yeah a few keycap sizes on the Das, but pushing the o-ring down to the end seems to work fine for all of them.  Have not noticed any bottoming out sounds from any keys.

Offline sordna

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 01 August 2011, 11:27:47 »
The easiest way to install o-rings, I found, is to actually roll them over the stem. They sort of snap into place at the bottom of the keycap.
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 01 August 2011, 11:45:50 »
I noticed the rolling/snapping...it was surprising at first.

I have keys that bottom out if the O-ring is all the way on the stem, like the "4" and "E" keys are doing right now.

Offline TexasFlood

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 01 August 2011, 11:47:19 »
I'm so confused as to what O-Rings to get.  I can never correlate one posters specs to another, they all seem different to me.  I admit that I haven't really focused on it but now thinking this is something I should try, like on my blue cherry Rosewill.  Is this stuff in one of the wikis already?  If not perhaps we should gather it and put it either in a separate article or fold into an existing, whatever makes the most sense.  It's possible I'm just behind the curve here but trying to catch up, :wink:

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 01 August 2011, 11:54:14 »
It's all right here for a Cherry MX switch. Compliments to Sordna.

Info so you can see what you're ordering:
http://geekhack.org/showwiki.php?title=Island:5450&viewfull=1&page=4&do=comments#post385117

Actual website link to order:
http://www.mcmaster.com/#as568a-o-rings/=dfjzic

You have to register on their website.
« Last Edit: Mon, 01 August 2011, 12:13:08 by input nirvana »

Offline sordna

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 01 August 2011, 12:00:15 »
Quote from: input nirvana;390961
I noticed the rolling/snapping...it was surprising at first.

I have keys that bottom out if the O-ring is all the way on the stem, like the "4" and "E" keys are doing right now.

Some of my arrow keys were still clacking after the o-ring install, so I just added some very thin rubber washers. You can even use tin foil or a folded piece of a plastic bag or something to put in the keycap before the o-ring, if you need a tad of extra thickness. Also, a remaining clack could mean the keycap isn't fully seated. Most of the times, I give the keycap a good firm push, and the clack goes away.

@texasflood: click "o-ring" on my sig for proper o-rings (I even list metric dimensions for our overseas friends), or see Input Nirvana's post as well.
« Last Edit: Mon, 01 August 2011, 12:02:26 by sordna »
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline TexasFlood

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 01 August 2011, 12:15:23 »
Quote from: input nirvana;390974
It's all right here for a Cherry MX switch. Compliments to Sordna.

Info so you can see what you're ordering:

Actual website link to order:
http://www.mcmaster.com/#as568a-o-rings/=dfjzic

You have to register on their website.
Thanks, figured it might be out there somewhere so might be a stupid question, but nothing wrong with a stupid question as long as it gets a smart answer than moves you ahead, :wink:.

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 01 August 2011, 12:18:50 »
Here is a screenshot.

You select the dash number '008" on the upper left (red) and scroll down to the part number "2418T114" on the main screen (red). It's Soft Buna-N O-rings for $9.17 per #125, but the shipping is about $5. You can see where I bought 2 packages.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ] 22964[/ATTACH]
« Last Edit: Mon, 01 August 2011, 12:41:12 by input nirvana »

Offline TexasFlood

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 01 August 2011, 12:26:05 »
Quote from: input nirvana;390995
Here is a screenshot.

You select the dash number '008" on the upper left (red) and scroll down to the part number 2418T114 on the main screen (red). It's Soft Buna O-rings for $9.17 per #125, but the shipping is about $5. You can see where I bought 2 packages.
Thanks, this is great.  I still can't quite correlate all the different references, like above where you state "I bought 2 packs of O-rings (#250)" which don't seem to be the same one referenced on this screen shot.  I don't care as long as I know what to buy, just don't understand.  Obviously I know little-to-nothing about how O-Rings are spec'd.  Thanks again.

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 01 August 2011, 12:26:31 »
Or----just click Sordnas O-ring link....another input nirvana overdo or what???

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 01 August 2011, 12:31:06 »
In the big red oval, that is the exact part to buy. It comes in packages of #125 as you can see in the red oval. I put a quantity of "2" in the box and got 2 packages of #125.

I added arrows. Does that make sense? I may have made this a little confusing.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ] 22969[/ATTACH]
« Last Edit: Mon, 01 August 2011, 12:40:16 by input nirvana »

Offline sordna

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 01 August 2011, 12:31:49 »
Quote from: TexasFlood;391004
Thanks, this is great.  I still can't quite correlate all the different references, like above where you state "I bought 2 packs of O-rings (#250)" which don't seem to be the same one referenced on this screen shot.  I don't care as long as I know what to buy, just don't understand.  Obviously I know little-to-nothing about how O-Rings are spec'd.  Thanks again.

By #250 he means he bought 250 pieces. Anyway, just put 2418T114 in the search box at mcmaster.com and it will land you to the exact product.

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 01 August 2011, 12:41:48 »
Quote from: sordna;391008
By #250 he means he bought 250 pieces. Anyway, just put 2418T114 in the search box at mcmaster.com and it will land you to the exact product.

Ahhh...the simple answer is usually the best...

Offline TexasFlood

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 01 August 2011, 13:03:39 »
Quote from: sordna;391008
HAH, no wonder it didn't make sense, I was trying to think of a square peg and a round hole.

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #20 on: Wed, 10 August 2011, 11:22:15 »
Quote from: TexasFlood;391033
HAH, no wonder it didn't make sense, I was trying to think of a square peg and a round hole.

Silly TexasFlood, that NEVER works! :)