Author Topic: [IC] ALF x Sirius — UniGo66 - The Ultimate Wireless Ergo (coming tomorrow)  (Read 25569 times)

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
Hey guys (and girls),

We are super excited to present to you the newest offering: UniGo66, a true wireless ergo customized keyboard. This keyboard is elegant yet full of desired features rarely seen in prior designs from the community. Specifically, this keyboard will feature the following:

1. Wireless, cross sub-boards combination keys
2. Aluminum 6061 case
3. Logitech K230 chip,2032 button battery
4. Updated U2U adapter, QMK/TMK firmware
5. Compatible with MX Switches, Hot-swappable PCB, sockets pre-soldered
6. Acrylic bottom included
6. Fully programmable
7. Designed by Sirius
8. Manufactured by ALF

Let us know what you think about this and what we should improve! Here are some pictures of the actual sample.

Please let us know your interest and feedback for UniGo66: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1yNoqdmOj1e7-B8k0-He-cxy3oPvzpOEUSIO0pwyETPc

204693-0

204691-1

204695-2

204697-3

204699-4

204701-5

204703-6

204705-7

204736-8

Updates:

9/16/2018: prototype CNC finished
9/20/2018: prototype finished
9/29/2018: finalizing details for the GB, ready to go
« Last Edit: Mon, 01 October 2018, 15:01:05 by oldcat »

Offline PyroL

Re: [IC] UniGo66 - Wireless Ergo
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 10 August 2018, 00:41:27 »
I very rarely log in to Geekhack.

I also hate ergo layouts.

But I'm going to go out of my comfort zone and say: yes. I want this so bad.

Offline jebbra

• jebbra.net
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 10 August 2018, 00:48:35 »
Please change/add support for 1-1-1 bottom row instead of 1.25-1-1.25 that way this can easily use Ergodox Kit without any other kit (alpha + ergo kit don't have 1.25u)

Beside that, THIS IS ULTRA EXCITING :thumb:

Offline rioc

• Very Text - 键盘上瘾 ____rioc industries ink.
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 10 August 2018, 01:51:02 »
ooh yea! :)

Offline Dendrobium

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 10 August 2018, 02:22:06 »
Please change/add support for 1-1-1 bottom row instead of 1.25-1-1.25 that way this can easily use Ergodox Kit without any other kit (alpha + ergo kit don't have 1.25u)

Beside that, THIS IS ULTRA EXCITING :thumb:

According to the pictures I think the pcb actually supports 1-1-1 bottom row. I just wish the kit comes with corresponding plate and case :)

Offline SteffeMK

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 10 August 2018, 04:10:25 »
I only have 1 complaint, the escape key. I would suggest a blocker to make it 1u.

Skickat från min SM-N950F via Tapatalk

Offline saucybulgogi

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 10 August 2018, 07:01:04 »
Looks awesome! I’d be in for a set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline saucybulgogi

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 10 August 2018, 07:05:13 »
I only have 1 complaint, the escape key. I would suggest a blocker to make it 1u.

If you had one of these wouldn’t you buy the ergodox kit of whatever key cap set you were gonna use? Which would include a long enough Esc key so making it 1u is unnecessary. Or do you want 1u Esc for aesthetic reasons?

Offline saucybulgogi

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 10 August 2018, 07:08:38 »
If they use Logitech chips would they be able to communicate with each other? For layout changing and stuff?

Offline SteffeMK

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 10 August 2018, 07:25:14 »

If you had one of these wouldn’t you buy the ergodox kit of whatever key cap set you were gonna use? Which would include a long enough Esc key so making it 1u is unnecessary. Or do you want 1u Esc for aesthetic reasons?

I haven't built a split keyboard yet so I haven't bought a ergo kit, or been interested in it. If that is the case, that ergo kits include that size escape I get why he went for the design.

Offline ptiede

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 10 August 2018, 09:02:55 »
This is great!

« Last Edit: Fri, 10 August 2018, 09:09:38 by ptiede »

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 10 August 2018, 09:43:25 »
If they use Logitech chips would they be able to communicate with each other? For layout changing and stuff?

Yes, you can use a combination of keys across the boards.

Offline mrkantz

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 10 August 2018, 09:53:00 »
100% in on this.

Offline Gghi

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 10 August 2018, 09:54:35 »
Good work!! Love this

Offline Locnguyen1507

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 10 August 2018, 10:42:13 »
Wow! It's time for me to dig up nautilus ergo kit :D
How about the color? Any green/olive for this?

Offline shensmobile

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 10 August 2018, 10:42:42 »
Have to agree with Jebbra about changing bottom row to 1u-1u-1u.  To be fully honest, I prefer the 1.25u-1u-1.25u, but keycap compatibility will be a nuissance.  The layout is already so close to an Ergodox, why not just stick with the Dox layout?

Otherwise, everything else sounds great, I'm definitely in!

Offline Tyson

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 10 August 2018, 11:19:52 »
And just when I pull out of the game, I get pulled back in! I'm totally in for this, especially if you make an metal case for it, there's just something about alu cases that I love! Currently the only ergo that I use is a VE.A, I've never had something with a Dox layout. This will be super fun to learn and use! Can't wait! Have any prototypes by chance? I'd love to test one out if possible. :)

Offline Zilleon

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 10 August 2018, 11:33:13 »
I'm blown away by the case. Really love it!

I'm a hardcore user of Ergodox and other ortholinear keyboards, here is my feedback:

- I don't really get the layout. The Ergodox layout is widely adopted by many people and supported by many keycap sets. Overall I think that this layout brings potential incompatibilities and also loses awesome things about the Ergodox (will explain why I think so bellow).

- The 1u keys in the Ergodox bottom row (bellow C and V) are premium spots, they are easy and comfortable to press regardless of hand size. Cutting them off allows the thumb cluster to get a little closer, potentially giving easier access to the two outer keys, but at that point you are trading 2 keys in premium spots, for 2 keys in the outer column of the thumb cluster that are less comfortable. Not worthy.

- There is always arguments about the Ergodox thumb cluster, but the fact is that most people can reach the two first 2u keys. My hands are as small as it gets for an adult and I can reach them comfortably. I can't reach the outer keys (I just assign them to things that I rarely use), but many people with large hands can with very little reach, so I rather have a layout that works for as many people as possible and I think that the Ergodox layout accomplishes that.

What I mean by the two previous points is that by having the same bottom row of the Ergodox we get:

- Easier keycap compatibility
- Two 1u keys in premium position IN ADDITION to two 2u keys (also premium) in the thumb cluster. Not even necessary to have the same number of thumb keys as the Ergodox, it could be like the Redox (https://goo.gl/FUqB96) or even just two 2u keys (https://goo.gl/qpkCnR). To put it in another way, we get 4 keys in VERY nice positions instead of just 1 very nice (the 2u) and two ok ones (the outer column).
- Easier adaptation/adoption for Ergodox users (im sure that in some cases - mine included - the adaptation would not even be possible or worthy)

If it is too confusing, let me know and I can try to explain it better :)

** I don't really care for wireless, but don't mind it either (it is highly personal, but I thought I would mention anyway =D)

« Last Edit: Fri, 10 August 2018, 11:39:37 by Zilleon »

Offline Lotsati

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 10 August 2018, 11:49:31 »
Been looking for something exactly like this that uses Ergodox 1.5u mods but has thumb keys closer inward. In for sure.

Offline bthezebra

« Reply #19 on: Fri, 10 August 2018, 12:11:05 »
I need this, was about to plan for an ergodox Ez, now that plan is dead.

Offline japanitrat

« Reply #20 on: Fri, 10 August 2018, 13:12:25 »
This looks really cool and the specs sound great, too.

The thumb cluster however ... Am I the only one who thinks it looks extremely uncomfortable to use? Like, it's oriented in the wrong direction for a regular hand.

Offline senter

• * Maker
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 10 August 2018, 13:36:40 »
I have a very early version of this kit. https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/95r2su/split_and_wireless

Really love the layout and long battery life.

GLWS

Offline online

« Reply #22 on: Fri, 10 August 2018, 14:57:32 »
OMG, I've been holding myself back from getting an ergodox, but THIS I can't resist!!!!

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #23 on: Fri, 10 August 2018, 19:41:20 »
I have a very early version of this kit. https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/95r2su/split_and_wireless

Really love the layout and long battery life.

GLWS

Hey Senter! Thanks for stopping by the post and providing the support!

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #24 on: Fri, 10 August 2018, 22:10:58 »
I'm blown away by the case. Really love it!

I'm a hardcore user of Ergodox and other ortholinear keyboards, here is my feedback:

- I don't really get the layout. The Ergodox layout is widely adopted by many people and supported by many keycap sets. Overall I think that this layout brings potential incompatibilities and also loses awesome things about the Ergodox (will explain why I think so bellow).

- The 1u keys in the Ergodox bottom row (bellow C and V) are premium spots, they are easy and comfortable to press regardless of hand size. Cutting them off allows the thumb cluster to get a little closer, potentially giving easier access to the two outer keys, but at that point you are trading 2 keys in premium spots, for 2 keys in the outer column of the thumb cluster that are less comfortable. Not worthy.

- There is always arguments about the Ergodox thumb cluster, but the fact is that most people can reach the two first 2u keys. My hands are as small as it gets for an adult and I can reach them comfortably. I can't reach the outer keys (I just assign them to things that I rarely use), but many people with large hands can with very little reach, so I rather have a layout that works for as many people as possible and I think that the Ergodox layout accomplishes that.

What I mean by the two previous points is that by having the same bottom row of the Ergodox we get:

- Easier keycap compatibility
- Two 1u keys in premium position IN ADDITION to two 2u keys (also premium) in the thumb cluster. Not even necessary to have the same number of thumb keys as the Ergodox, it could be like the Redox (https://goo.gl/FUqB96) or even just two 2u keys (https://goo.gl/qpkCnR). To put it in another way, we get 4 keys in VERY nice positions instead of just 1 very nice (the 2u) and two ok ones (the outer column).
- Easier adaptation/adoption for Ergodox users (im sure that in some cases - mine included - the adaptation would not even be possible or worthy)

If it is too confusing, let me know and I can try to explain it better :)

** I don't really care for wireless, but don't mind it either (it is highly personal, but I thought I would mention anyway =D)

So I talked to Sirius, he said that the original design was to meet the needs of the FPS game players' needs to shift the thumb cluster to the left, and enlarged ctrl and alt accordingly (to 1.25u).

To meet the needs of others, we added 1-1-1 compatibility to pcb. There is a chance we will change the design to AAA battery power. If that becomes a reality, we will adopt the 1-1-1-1 compatible layout.

Offline Zilleon

« Reply #25 on: Sat, 11 August 2018, 08:26:22 »
So I talked to Sirius, he said that the original design was to meet the needs of the FPS game players' needs to shift the thumb cluster to the left, and enlarged ctrl and alt accordingly (to 1.25u).

To meet the needs of others, we added 1-1-1 compatibility to pcb. There is a chance we will change the design to AAA battery power. If that becomes a reality, we will adopt the 1-1-1-1 compatible layout.

Please just do whatever you guys need to do with the thumb cluster, but please keep that bottom row identical to the Ergodox at 1-1-1-1-1!

And then we will be ready to throw money at you :)

« Reply #26 on: Sat, 11 August 2018, 08:55:57 »
Will definitely be buying one of these to try gaming with.. will the case be available in more than 1 colour?

Offline Lotsati

« Reply #27 on: Sat, 11 August 2018, 12:58:39 »
This definitely looks great for gaming. Really like that larger Control key since it's bound to Crouch for a lot of FPS games (feels terrible when it's 1u in my opinion). The thumb keys being shifted over to the left definitely helps when you're mainly hovered over WASD. I definitely felt my thumbs had to stretch a bit when using the Ergodox while playing a lot of games.

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #28 on: Sat, 11 August 2018, 15:35:03 »
To streamline the interest check and feedback/requests from everyone, we have set up a simple Interest Check page, for you to provide feedback:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1yNoqdmOj1e7-B8k0-He-cxy3oPvzpOEUSIO0pwyETPc

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #29 on: Sun, 12 August 2018, 12:31:19 »
link fixed, sorry for the confusion around username text box.

Offline jebbra

• jebbra.net
« Reply #30 on: Mon, 13 August 2018, 07:03:38 »
This definitely looks great for gaming. Really like that larger Control key since it's bound to Crouch for a lot of FPS games (feels terrible when it's 1u in my opinion). The thumb keys being shifted over to the left definitely helps when you're mainly hovered over WASD. I definitely felt my thumbs had to stretch a bit when using the Ergodox while playing a lot of games.

I suggest moving the Ctrl key to the Caps Lock position. IMO it is the best position for it. And isn't it easier to hold too when navigating WASD?

Offline dummydecoy

Re: [IC] UniGo66 - Wireless Ergo (updated IC form)
« Reply #31 on: Mon, 13 August 2018, 07:35:31 »
Really interested in this wireless ergo keyboard, but the thumb cluster on it is gonna cause pain for big hands. :(

EDIT: What's the point of all that feedback, the final design is exactly the same as the initial prototype. LULZ. Pass.
« Last Edit: Fri, 28 September 2018, 11:44:51 by dummydecoy »

Offline Zilleon

« Reply #32 on: Mon, 13 August 2018, 09:30:16 »
Really interested in this wireless ergo keyboard, but the thumb cluster on it is gonna cause pain for big hands. :(
(Attachment Link)
Not only for big hands, small ones would also lose compared to the Ergodox :(

Offline garbo

« Reply #33 on: Mon, 13 August 2018, 11:45:06 »
I personally much prefer the way this thumb cluster is placed over the ergodox's, which I've always found unwieldy.
I'm generally OK about adapting to weird layouts but trying to type with semi-straightened fingers like in the image posted above feels very unnatural.

Would definitely prefer the case to support a 1u bottom row for compatibility with ergodox kits, though.

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #34 on: Wed, 15 August 2018, 00:01:07 »
I personally much prefer the way this thumb cluster is placed over the ergodox's, which I've always found unwieldy.
I'm generally OK about adapting to weird layouts but trying to type with semi-straightened fingers like in the image posted above feels very unnatural.

Would definitely prefer the case to support a 1u bottom row for compatibility with ergodox kits, though.

Thank you for the support, we will communicate the feedback to the designer

Offline nu_types

• Formerly Iredeus
« Reply #35 on: Thu, 16 August 2018, 20:40:19 »
Any chance of supporting kailh choc switches?

Offline anysky130

« Reply #36 on: Sat, 18 August 2018, 10:25:25 »
I love this.

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #37 on: Wed, 22 August 2018, 12:43:19 »
I love this.

thanks my friend. the designer takes the feedback seriously, and hopefully we can come up with a final design most people love.

Offline minidev

« Reply #38 on: Thu, 23 August 2018, 03:59:16 »
I want this so much ! ;D

Some remarks :
- I concur with the idea of a standard 1-1-1-1 bottom row (and tips for gamers : CAPS lock can always be remapped and is super comfortable),
- going with AAA batteries is lovely idea (easier to source, can even go rechargeable)
- adding 3 small LEDs and this would be perfect. Battery level, currently selected layer, CAPS/NUM lock, power... there is so much useful information to communicate! They can be the same color -or- 1 red, 1 green, 1 blue -or- all three RGB   

And will it be a kit? presoldered? switches included? keycaps included? fully assembled and ready to use?
Do you have a rough price range for this? (I need to prepare my wallet, my guess would be ~ $200 without switches/keycaps?)

Offline Tyson

« Reply #39 on: Thu, 23 August 2018, 11:10:32 »
Just joined the GMK Space Cadet drop just for the Ergo kit for this board! The compatibility for the bottom row is going to be hard though, I already planned on getting the base set, but if I have to use the bottom row modifiers for the 1.25u-1u-1.25u row on this board, I won't be able to use the rest of the base set on any other board since I won't have all the mods. Please consider changing this to standard 1-1-1-1 so people can just use most Ergo kits from sets. I really want to see how those keys closest to the thumbs feel, the placement seems a little different than the standard Ergodox placement.

Offline obertau

« Reply #40 on: Thu, 23 August 2018, 22:00:45 »
I think the thumb placement is too tight. Like the thread said, if it was made for gamers using WASD as arrows then by definition it’s too tight for the majority of people that are on homerow. Would prefer ergodox 2x 2u thumb layout.

Offline young_won

« Reply #41 on: Thu, 23 August 2018, 23:43:26 »
i like this  :thumb:

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #42 on: Fri, 24 August 2018, 15:28:16 »
i like this  :thumb:

Thanks for the support, man!

Good news, the designer Sirius has joined our ALF discord, and you may be able to send your direct feedback to him!

Offline Astrasa

« Reply #43 on: Tue, 28 August 2018, 01:22:18 »
Really liking the look of this and I've been itching to try an ergo for gaming. I do have smaller hands but the thumb cluster doesn't look too far to me, granted I've never tried ergo but I think I could adapt to this. Also echoing someone above, will there be more than one color for the case?
Kyuu Proto | Quasi Alice | Duck Viper | Tx87-Se

Offline Macflag

« Reply #44 on: Tue, 28 August 2018, 07:18:27 »
Any timeline for a GB?

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #45 on: Tue, 28 August 2018, 21:50:13 »
Any timeline for a GB?

The designer is in our discord :)
Depends on how fast he incorporates the changes proposed by the community I guess :)

Offline Macflag

« Reply #46 on: Sat, 08 September 2018, 12:55:26 »
Any updates?

Offline Baconheart

« Reply #47 on: Sat, 08 September 2018, 17:14:04 »
This looks pretty cool, but the thumb cluster just kills it. On an Ergodox, the thumb cluster's 2u keys are perfectly positioned and angled so they're natural and comfortable to use, on this to reach the 2u key I'd have to bend my thumb inwards enough that it's basically straight, making the angle of the key a hindrance vs just having a vertical 2u. Definitely a design for small hands only.

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #48 on: Sat, 08 September 2018, 22:28:21 »
Any updates?

I believe a new prototype is being made. Will share when I have more information. ALF has been working on the DC60 GB recently.

Offline OracleKev

« Reply #49 on: Sat, 08 September 2018, 23:54:23 »
Little late to the party here.
My thoughts are if you are making ortholinear layout, there is no reason to deviate to ergodox layout.  Maybe tweak it little bit which I think is a long shot because that layout has been optimized over the years.
If you are making split keyboard with thumb clusters for the masses, make the layout standard horizontal stagger. Then split spaces become thumb cluster.