Poll

Preferred port

Mini USB
74 (15.6%)
USB C
401 (84.4%)

Total Members Voted: 475

Author Topic: [IC] Rukia (GB form opens Thursday 5/23/19 @9pm PST, confirm your local time)  (Read 67490 times)

Offline Rafa_n

Re: [IC] Plastic Alice (CRITICAL UPDATE - Need Your Input)
« Reply #200 on: Mon, 06 May 2019, 08:42:13 »

Offline NRbigfoot

« Reply #201 on: Mon, 06 May 2019, 08:48:10 »
1 especially if 2 would put you at financial risk and might not result in anything due to manufacturing issues. I'd support using those funds from the PC gb and using for IRMA as well
HBCP | FLX Virgo | aanzee | Mira SE | Leaf 80 | HHKB pro 1 | qxp | Rukia | IDB60 | equinox | No1Rev1 | Whale | Montage | 268.2 | Anniversary Whale | Jer80 | Evolv

Offline lolafineday

« Reply #202 on: Mon, 06 May 2019, 08:55:09 »
It seems like 1 is the popular choice, so what type of material will you offer for the plate? Half plate? RGB on pcb to diffuse on pc?

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #203 on: Mon, 06 May 2019, 09:58:19 »
I really admire the attitude of this GB's leader. While most, not all, GB runners put a great effort on their works, this sets a milestone for extra attention to details and communication. Regarding the proposal, while nice and interesting is well beyond my personal range of expenditure on KBs. Mainly while I have what I really use. So, good luck.

Offline yicaoyimu

« Reply #204 on: Mon, 06 May 2019, 10:43:37 »
KMAC2 - Matrix Lab 8XV2.0 - TGR Jane v2 CE - KBD8X MKII - Meridian - Matrix Lab Noah - Fallacy x2 - MGA Standard - Geon Frog mini - Amano - Ciel60 - Prime_Elise - Matrix Lab 6XV3.0 aka Corsa

Offline JohnWest

« Reply #205 on: Mon, 06 May 2019, 20:46:49 »
1. Slow and steady mate.

Offline Jaxxstatic

• Haptic Recon
« Reply #206 on: Tue, 07 May 2019, 04:04:00 »
OK. SO...

Yuktsi also recommended "1."

And I think I need to reiterate this so people understand:
polycarbonate is not a CHEAP option. Or easy. There is are reasons why Yuktsi didn't run a polycarbonate Alice GB.
Also, this is NOT the Lubrigante. If that price is all you care about, please just MAKE ONE. The files are open source. Laser cutting and acrylic material are cheap.

This will be a premium keyboard at what is to me a premium price.
A price at which--being completely honest--I still don't come out ahead compared to what I've spent on these projects. But I'll be locking the price down because people will never really want to spend more than a certain amount for something that isn't anodized aluminum. There is no getting around that preconception.
But hopefully, if enough sell, I will have funds to develop the UHMW boards.

Again, being totally open: polycarbonate is great. People who have the high end polycarb boards love them for a reason. They sell for higher prices sometimes than the metal versions for a reason. Polycarbonate sounds great, is durable, looks great with RGB, and is just sexy to feel up on. I get it.

But I'm not going to give up on UHMW or injection molding. It's coming, and I want it as soon as possible.
I already don't sleep, but if I can get to be the actual manufacturer, I assure you, I will be TIRELESS with this thing.
And if there's one thing I've learned that the community does much better than any other niche hobby I've been a part of--it's talk ****.
Which is great for correcting things, if you can take things constructively.
So I plan to blog/vlog the process when I get going. It'll be a way for people to check in on the project in real time, but it will also be helpful for me to get over barriers and avoid pitfalls.

Okay, so here it is...I'll be temporarily halting the updates to this IC while the "PC Alice GB" goes up later today or tomorrow.
It will be about a 90-day lead time because pretty much everything is already set up with PCBs, plates, and the manufacturer of the case parts and weights.

Offline vegs

« Reply #207 on: Tue, 07 May 2019, 05:06:39 »
OK. SO...

polycarbonate is not a CHEAP option. Or easy. There is are reasons why Yuktsi didn't run a polycarbonate Alice GB.
Also, this is NOT the Lubrigante. If that price is all you care about, please just MAKE ONE. The files are open source. Laser cutting and acrylic material are cheap.

A price at which--being completely honest--I still don't come out ahead compared to what I've spent on these projects. But I'll be locking the price down because people will never really want to spend more than a certain amount for something that isn't anodized aluminum. There is no getting around that preconception.

Again, being totally open: polycarbonate is great. People who have the high end polycarb boards love them for a reason. They sell for higher prices sometimes than the metal versions for a reason. Polycarbonate sounds great, is durable, looks great with RGB, and is just sexy to feel up on. I get it.

But I'm not going to give up on UHMW or injection molding. It's coming, and I want it as soon as possible.
I already don't sleep, but if I can get to be the actual manufacturer, I assure you, I will be TIRELESS with this thing.
And if there's one thing I've learned that the community does much better than any other niche hobby I've been a part of--it's talk ****.
So I plan to blog/vlog the process when I get going. It'll be a way for people to check in on the project in real time, but it will also be helpful for me to get over barriers and avoid pitfalls.

Okay, so here it is...I'll be temporarily halting the updates to this IC while the "PC Alice GB" goes up later today or tomorrow.
It will be about a 90-day lead time because pretty much everything is already set up with PCBs, plates, and the manufacturer of the case parts and weights.
woo!
hhkb | hhkb bt | cherry g80-5000 | haus | unikorn se

buy less

Offline Furikurichemy

« Reply #208 on: Tue, 07 May 2019, 06:19:15 »
Wow! so excited now for this. You can count me in on the PC and the UHMW when the time comes.

Offline KingOfMemes

« Reply #209 on: Tue, 07 May 2019, 08:37:48 »
OK. SO...

Hell yeah, let's goooo bois

Offline slxdegrees

• Nerds With Keebs
    • Donate to Room To Read!
« Reply #210 on: Tue, 07 May 2019, 08:44:01 »
Lezzgo bois.

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

Offline andrewregal

« Reply #211 on: Wed, 08 May 2019, 01:55:20 »
I think a PC Alice will be awesome and I'm totally for paying a premium for a well made board :thumb:
Discord: andrewregal#7830

Offline Villa

• Bang.
Question for Jaxxstatic
« Reply #212 on: Wed, 08 May 2019, 02:13:08 »
Will this thread be updated after the PC run, or will there be a new thread altogether?

Offline fishinaspacesuit

« Reply #213 on: Wed, 08 May 2019, 02:27:10 »
Awwww yeah! Thank you for explaining your thought process behind this, I'm very excited for the GB thread and (hopefully) joining it successfully.

Offline DeadlyPoison

« Reply #214 on: Wed, 08 May 2019, 05:35:33 »
It would be nice to have it all in aluminum and place an acrylic diffuser under the case.
like this, I think it's the optimal solution for the lighting look.

Offline Esheu2

« Reply #215 on: Wed, 08 May 2019, 06:08:31 »
It would be nice to have it all in aluminum and place an acrylic diffuser under the case.
like this, I think it's the optimal solution for the lighting look.
Show Image

Bruh. Alu is literally the opposite of what OP is trying to go for here. He is using plastic materials as a means of having a product that sounds different (metal cases can sound harsh) and is more portable and durable.
Ojou

Offline DeadlyPoison

« Reply #216 on: Wed, 08 May 2019, 06:23:39 »
I know, but since other users mentioned the top alu, I only expressed my opinion on what I'd like to see in this GB.

Offline blizzara01

« Reply #217 on: Wed, 08 May 2019, 08:14:38 »
I know, but since other users mentioned the top alu, I only expressed my opinion on what I'd like to see in this GB.
TGR Alice is already an aliminum. I think its best to stay out of alu for top/bot piece.

Offline KingOfMemes

« Reply #218 on: Wed, 08 May 2019, 08:28:07 »
Will this be a limited unit run? Or will everyone who wants one have the ability to get one with an MOQ? I only ask I'm going to be in meetings all day, and I don't want to miss the GB that is allegedly today

Offline dexie

« Reply #219 on: Wed, 08 May 2019, 08:45:09 »
Will this be a limited unit run? Or will everyone who wants one have the ability to get one with an MOQ? I only ask I'm going to be in meetings all day, and I don't want to miss the GB that is allegedly today

I am in the same boat as you. So many limited runs lately.
ISO Life

Offline Jaxxstatic

• Haptic Recon
« Reply #220 on: Thu, 09 May 2019, 00:53:39 »
Ok so it’s not happening tonight.
I’m still waiting on a couple things from some people, but we’re almost there.
As far as availability, I would love for it to be MOQ based and everyone who wants one gets one. And for me, that would equal more money right?
But quality is paramount.
This is my first GB. Polycarb is difficult. QC is so important.
If I do too many, this GB will run very long. And that leaves it open to more complications.
So for the sake of meeting deadlines or being ahead of them, and for the sake of putting out a really good board that people will enjoy, I’ll be limiting the numbers.
If demand really is that high, I’ll just immediately do a second round.
So stay tuned for an update.
The new name is “Rukia” btw. It means “ray of light.”
Which is probably better than the original name of “Nightlight.”
And it was also the name of my cat who died. She travelled with us from Japan and helped raise my two kids. She was basically a tiny squirrel dog.

Offline yicaoyimu

« Reply #221 on: Thu, 09 May 2019, 01:03:09 »
And it was also the name of my cat who died. She travelled with us from Japan and helped raise my two kids. She was basically a tiny squirrel dog.

Sorry about your loss. My cat is like a squirrel dog too and I really enjoyed her accompany. And thanks for sharing your reasoning behind making the GB a limited run. I'm sure your GB slots will be filled in minutes. Hope I can make it in.  :thumb:
KMAC2 - Matrix Lab 8XV2.0 - TGR Jane v2 CE - KBD8X MKII - Meridian - Matrix Lab Noah - Fallacy x2 - MGA Standard - Geon Frog mini - Amano - Ciel60 - Prime_Elise - Matrix Lab 6XV3.0 aka Corsa

Offline raphaelf

« Reply #222 on: Thu, 09 May 2019, 01:05:13 »
Ok so it’s not happening tonight.
I’m still waiting on a couple things from some people, but we’re almost there.
As far as availability, I would love for it to be MOQ based and everyone who wants one gets one. And for me, that would equal more money right?
But quality is paramount.
This is my first GB. Polycarb is difficult. QC is so important.
If I do too many, this GB will run very long. And that leaves it open to more complications.
So for the sake of meeting deadlines or being ahead of them, and for the sake of putting out a really good board that people will enjoy, I’ll be limiting the numbers.
The new name is “Rukia” btw. It means “ray of light.”
Which is probably better than the original name of “Nightlight.”
Thanks for the info. Super excited for this. But please pretty please remember of us in Europe and the 9h difference from the west coast when launching it. I really don't wanna miss this for being asleep =P

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Offline jaang

« Reply #223 on: Thu, 09 May 2019, 01:07:15 »

Will updates on the GB be in this thread or will there be a new thread specifically for "Rukia"?

Offline SJHL

Re: [IC] Rukia
« Reply #224 on: Thu, 09 May 2019, 08:28:16 »
Interested in joining this GB when it launches but I have a question.

If you're the type of person who opens the case alot, wouldn't the thread be stripped sooner or later? Other than trying not to open it as much or even maybe gluing a metal insert, is there any other solution out there? Never had a polycarbonate case before so I figure that I ask.

Offline KingOfMemes

« Reply #225 on: Thu, 09 May 2019, 08:35:50 »

If you're the type of person who opens the case alot, wouldn't the thread be stripped sooner or later? Other than trying not to open it as much or even maybe gluing a metal insert, is there any other solution out there? Never had a polycarbonate case before so I figure that I ask.

You could probably use plastic screws to avoid stripping the threading on the PC case

Offline SJHL

« Reply #226 on: Thu, 09 May 2019, 09:16:50 »

You could probably use plastic screws to avoid stripping the threading on the PC case

Yeah, was thinking about this also but the verdict would be the same (I think). I guess this option would be the best choice, though. Along with not opening it as much. Thanks!

Offline KingOfMemes

« Reply #227 on: Thu, 09 May 2019, 09:22:20 »

Yeah, was thinking about this also but the verdict would be the same (I think). I guess this option would be the best choice, though. Along with not opening it as much. Thanks!
Sure. I guess my point is that if you are using plastic/nylon screws, the heavy wear would go more onto the cheap, replaceable screws rather than the nice case

Offline SJHL

« Reply #228 on: Thu, 09 May 2019, 09:30:10 »

Sure. I guess my point is that if you are using plastic/nylon screws, the heavy wear would go more onto the cheap, replaceable screws rather than the nice case

Ah, I understand. I was thinking it'll still do dmg to the thread and not the screw itself. Makes sense. Thanks for clarifying.
« Last Edit: Thu, 09 May 2019, 20:56:06 by SJHL »

Offline superdoedoe

• ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
« Reply #229 on: Thu, 09 May 2019, 20:28:15 »
Polycarb threading does have the tendency of stripping and/or cracking.

Offline Bahm78

• https://blog.naver.com/hjg7808
« Reply #230 on: Thu, 09 May 2019, 21:15:24 »
Very interesting

Offline AlcoholEnthusiast

« Reply #231 on: Thu, 09 May 2019, 22:04:49 »
Would love to see plastic screws included. Or something like in the picture I am linking (idk how possible this is, but it seems like it shouldn't be too hard).
« Last Edit: Thu, 09 May 2019, 22:14:44 by AlcoholEnthusiast »

Offline TuCZnak

« Reply #232 on: Fri, 10 May 2019, 00:17:06 »
Why not do metal inserts for the threading? That seems like the most sensible choice

Offline menuhin

« Reply #233 on: Fri, 10 May 2019, 02:01:41 »
... The new name is “Rukia” btw. It means “ray of light.”

“Rukia” reminds me of Bleach’s Rukia
Wishlist: 1) nice thick Alps caps; 2) Cherry profile POM;
More
Wishful-list: 1) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 2) usable Trackpoint module for all keyboards
IBM M13 black
NeXT non-ADB keyboard (AAE)
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT
[~90WPM, in love with Emacs, and Lisp]

Offline Jaxxstatic

• Haptic Recon
« Reply #234 on: Fri, 10 May 2019, 04:36:52 »
Threaded inserts in plastic are not always consistent. Plastic screws are cheap.
But I will go with the best, most durable option. Screws will be included, of course. If it's plastic screws, extra sets will be included.

My wife and I named our current cat Ichigo. It means strawberry in Japanese. He is an idiot but still a kitten.

The GB is not posting this weekend. I'm waiting on a few things still to be delivered.
I apologize.
I got ahead of myself and over-excited.
I'll make sure there is plenty of warning for people to know when the GB actually drops, taking international timezones into consideration. 

There is no Discord channel or server for Rukia, but I'm jaxxstatic#2116 on there. Hit me up if you have questions.

Offline Petch

« Reply #235 on: Fri, 10 May 2019, 04:38:10 »
Threaded inserts installed with heat might be the way to go

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #236 on: Sun, 12 May 2019, 05:58:13 »
My wife and I named our current cat Ichigo. It means strawberry in Japanese. He is an idiot but still a kitten.

Sounds like most cats.

Threaded inserts installed with heat might be the way to go

Agreed. Many people often aren't careful enough when screwing and with a plastic case you'd definitely want to prevent stripping those threads.

Offline Jaxxstatic

• Haptic Recon
« Reply #237 on: Sun, 12 May 2019, 10:32:20 »
That is what has been in my head since the beginning: threaded brass inserts applied into slightly too large cutouts like in Matt3o's vid/build log.
Seems cheap and effective

Offline lolafineday

« Reply #238 on: Sun, 12 May 2019, 10:42:22 »
That is what has been in my head since the beginning: threaded brass inserts applied into slightly too large cutouts like in Matt3o's vid/build log.
Seems cheap and effective
Link?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline menuhin

« Reply #239 on: Sun, 12 May 2019, 11:29:16 »

You must be Urahara and she's probably Yoruichi...
Wishlist: 1) nice thick Alps caps; 2) Cherry profile POM;
More
Wishful-list: 1) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 2) usable Trackpoint module for all keyboards
IBM M13 black
NeXT non-ADB keyboard (AAE)
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT
[~90WPM, in love with Emacs, and Lisp]

Offline shuangmu

« Reply #240 on: Sun, 12 May 2019, 19:34:05 »
Very cool, interesting <3
                                                                           Love Artisan<3
                                                                                                                                       Love geekhack                     

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #241 on: Mon, 13 May 2019, 01:28:07 »

Yoruichi, oh my.

Offline Jaxxstatic

• Haptic Recon
« Reply #242 on: Mon, 13 May 2019, 02:13:34 »

Yoruichi, oh my.
Uhh..I won't show you the hat my wife bought me. Or the way she would tie her hair up while we watched the show...
If I make an Orihime board it will come with free charm keycaps, and built-in wrist rests

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #243 on: Mon, 13 May 2019, 02:15:43 »

Yoruichi, oh my.
Uhh..I won't show you the hat my wife bought me. Or the way she would tie her hair up while we watched the show...
If I make an Orihime board it will come with free charm keycaps, and built-in wrist rests
I'm dead

Offline Esheu2

« Reply #244 on: Mon, 13 May 2019, 21:06:42 »

Yoruichi, oh my.
Getting to know all the heartwarming backstory in the naming process has made me so much more invested and interested in this project and your potential future ones. Can't wait for this group buy!
Ojou

Offline The_Royal

• That's what I call, a Sunday.
« Reply #245 on: Mon, 13 May 2019, 21:24:02 »
So I’ve joined a few Separate Alice/Alice Clones GB lately for just the PCBs.

Will there be an option for just the Case+Plate in the Gb?

If so, will that knock a few Hamilton’s off the Price? Or is the current price estimate for just the Case already?

Offline Jaxxstatic

• Haptic Recon
« Reply #246 on: Tue, 14 May 2019, 03:11:17 »
So I’ve joined a few Separate Alice/Alice Clones GB lately for just the PCBs.

Will there be an option for just the Case+Plate in the Gb?

If so, will that knock a few Hamilton’s off the Price? Or is the current price estimate for just the Case already?

So the original thing in my head was that this would be a la carte, like if you already had a pcb or plate or case, the new stuff is compatible, so people could pick what they want, and I would just invoice for that. Like a store.

But I can't really offer that, as the case design is really all I did. This GB will just be for a kit. Sorry.
However, it's all compatible. OG Alice plates and PCBs will work. 159's PCBs and plates will work. Maarten's PCB will work.
So along with that, I won't be offering extras. The kit options are just between carbon fiber or polycarbonate plates.
If you need extras, other cloned parts will likely work out.

What I need to know now, honestly, is if people are interested in a case made of stacked carbon fiber layers.
I've got a stack of carbon fiber plates here, and it is.....oof. I want it. I'll make it happen, but if others want it too, I'll run a concurrent buy. Turnaround will likely be even quicker.

Offline lakeboredom

« Reply #247 on: Tue, 14 May 2019, 04:02:50 »
I'd definitely buy the carbon fiber version. Would it look like one piece?

Offline lolafineday

[IC] Rukia
« Reply #248 on: Tue, 14 May 2019, 04:25:35 »
Could you elaborate how different carbon fiber and polycarb plate would be? Sound properties, Which one is more bendable? Etc... is it possible for just a UHMW plate?

Edit: is there a possibility for a half plate?
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline demonahz

« Reply #249 on: Tue, 14 May 2019, 05:04:13 »
What I need to know now, honestly, is if people are interested in a case made of stacked carbon fiber layers.

REALLY interested here!