Author Topic: $100 for pretty ordinary Model M?  (Read 3614 times)

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
$100 for pretty ordinary Model M?
« on: Fri, 19 February 2016, 19:05:27 »
It seems we've been using GF to also discuss less-than-great "finds"—so, here's one:

128819-0

Will someone please tell me why people are bidding $100 + $20 shipping for a 1996 Lexmark Model M? Just because it's clean?
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline pr0ximity

Re: $100 for pretty ordinary Model M?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 19 February 2016, 19:07:19 »
reddit, mostly. I swear every time I read a discussion there the prices are silly.

Coming from a person who frequents reddit and enjoys it quite a bit over there at times, btw. It has its place, but the explosion of people has had some interesting side effects. Especially when coupled with the rest of the reddit ecosystem's culture.

EDIT: You should see the market for Korean customs. I thought I paid a pretty large sum for mine and I'm fairly confident even I could make a sizeable profit currently.
« Last Edit: Fri, 19 February 2016, 19:11:56 by pr0ximity »
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 19 February 2016, 19:35:22 »
1996 should be one of the last ones made though, right?
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 19 February 2016, 19:56:02 »
From my own observations, I think the 1391401 model number commands a semi-premium price. Of course we all know that it's silly, but for whatever reason that model number has really captured a place in the hearts of the non or semi enthusiasts out there.

I saw a seller list three separate Model Ms in a row, and the 1391401 had a $10 higher starting price for no apparent reason.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 19 February 2016, 21:58:26 »
From my own observations, I think the 1391401 model number commands a semi-premium price.

I had no idea that they were still numbering blue labels 1391401 as late as 1996.

Personally, I would prefer a Lexmark-branded specimen if it was made by Lexmark.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 20 February 2016, 01:01:07 »
reddit, mostly. I swear every time I read a discussion there the prices are silly... Coming from a person who frequents reddit and enjoys it quite a bit over there at times, btw. It has its place, but the explosion of people has had some interesting side effects. Especially when coupled with the rest of the reddit ecosystem's culture.

EDIT: You should see the market for Korean customs. I thought I paid a pretty large sum for mine and I'm fairly confident even I could make a sizeable profit currently.

Thanks for your input... However, I don't understand what you mean about Reddit having something to do with it. So people mention a certain eBay listing there, which causes people to bid on it whether it's especially worthwhile or not? The sheer power of suggestion?

And maybe I'm just being dense, but what could Korean customs possibly have to do with this? That seems like a rather marvelous non sequitur (which I could also appreciate).

Personally, I would prefer a Lexmark-branded specimen if it was made by Lexmark.

Lexmark-numbered, you mean?
« Last Edit: Sat, 20 February 2016, 01:04:39 by ander »
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 20 February 2016, 05:16:16 »
reddit, mostly. I swear every time I read a discussion there the prices are silly... Coming from a person who frequents reddit and enjoys it quite a bit over there at times, btw. It has its place, but the explosion of people has had some interesting side effects. Especially when coupled with the rest of the reddit ecosystem's culture.

Thanks for your input... However, I don't understand what you mean about Reddit having something to do with it. So people mention a certain eBay listing there, which causes people to bid on it whether it's especially worthwhile or not? The sheer power of suggestion?

And maybe I'm just being dense, but what could Korean customs possibly have to do with this? That seems like a rather marvelous non sequitur (which I could also appreciate).

You asked why the price was so high. It's because the explosive growth in demand.
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 20 February 2016, 05:26:12 »
From my own observations, I think the 1391401 model number commands a semi-premium price.

I had no idea that they were still numbering blue labels 1391401 as late as 1996.
Well, the '1401 is just the part number for non-square detachable two-part American Model Ms isn't it? That's why there are so many of them.

From what I've seen though, square-badge or industrial seems to fetch from than 1401 (and for good reason).
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 20 February 2016, 07:39:22 »

Looking at this again, they seem to be even more uncommon than I had thought, only the 1398601:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Model_M_keyboard
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"