Author Topic: Bunch of Unicomps, all different prices?  (Read 3566 times)

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
Bunch of Unicomps, all different prices?
« on: Wed, 18 January 2017, 23:11:35 »
This isn't really a "great find"—but since it involves stuff for sale, this seemed like an appropriate place.

Why do you think all these new Unicomp Ultra Classics are suddenly appearing on eBay, at different prices?:

At first I thought they were all from the same seller, but each one's different. Did Unicomp start some sort of resale-incentive program?

And I don't know what Unicomp's shipping rates are these days, but at $84+shipping, it seems obvious you'd get a better deal buying directly from them instead.
« Last Edit: Thu, 19 January 2017, 04:12:04 by ander »
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
Re: Bunch of Unicomps, all different prices?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 20 January 2017, 03:06:58 »
Guess it'll remain a mystery then. (Woo!)
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline JWK

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 03 February 2017, 01:04:19 »
Arbitrage.  If you buy one of those, you'll receive it from Amazon with a gift receipt in the box.

https://www.entrepreneur.com/article/278622
http://www.webretailer.com/lean-commerce/amazon-to-ebay-arbitrage/

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 03 February 2017, 08:01:27 »
I bought some paper supplies on ebay recently and they came from Costco.

It was the cheapest price on ebay (probably because the base price was low but shipping was high and the seller probably had a "free shipping" deal that made his "delivered" price the lowest, even after adding his mark).

Now I know how it works.

"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 03 February 2017, 15:00:07 »
Arbitrage.  If you buy one of those, you'll receive it from Amazon with a gift receipt in the box...

https://www.entrepreneur.com/article/278622
http://www.webretailer.com/lean-commerce/amazon-to-ebay-arbitrage/

Ah! Thanks for explaining. I knew someone here would understand what was going on.

Apparently it's automated. People run software that checks Amazon for certain products, then copies the text and places eBay ads for it at randomly higher prices. Someone who doesn't bother checking Amazon first—or in this case, Googling the product name and finding Unicomp's site—buys the item for the higher price; then the software drop-ships it to them (drop-shipping being where you order from one merchant, who has another merchant, or the manufacturer, ship it to you).

I see Unicomp has listed practically all their stuff on Amazon. You can't blame them—but unfortunately, that brought it to the attention of the drop-shippers, who would never have known about it otherwise.

What I don't get is, how can anyone (e.g. the entrepreneur in the article JWK linked to) be upset about this? Drop-shipping is an age-old practice. I did it for a couple of years myself as a teen, placing ads in Popular Science's classified section for cheap science supplies I had drop-shipped from an Asian manufacturer. (I didn't make much—a couple of hundred, I think—but it was good experience.)

The market's based on supply and demand. If someone's willing to pay a certain price for an item, someone will sell it to them. It's up to the consumer to be sure they're not paying an unnecessary premium. 20 years ago, this would've required making phone calls to various vendors. Nowadays, all it takes is a few seconds searching the Web. Meanwhile, each item someone drop-ships for 10% over its regular price generates the same profit for the supplier. So what's to complain about? If the buyer finds out later that they paid more than they had to, they have no one to blame but themselves for being lazy and/or impulsive.

Finally, I might also point out that when it comes to KB quality, it's all relative. 20 years ago, when I got a Key Tronic RD to replace my ultra-cheap membrane board, I was delighted with the difference in feel. I can't remember if I was even aware of MKs then. Had I, though, I probably would've preferred the quiet board, which would've still felt "crisp" without disturbing anyone around me.

It's very much like making a decision whether to buy a real piano, with its sensual, organic touch and sound; or, for much less dough, a digital piano keyboard, with its simulated touch and sound, but the ability to use headphones for privacy. There are always pros and cons, and everyone makes their own choices.
« Last Edit: Fri, 03 February 2017, 15:23:50 by ander »

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 03 February 2017, 16:46:44 »

Drop-shipping is an age-old practice.

With shipping costs climbing, and with shipping often approximately equal to, or greater than, the price of the item itself, a seller or re-seller who can monkey with shipping prices (and especially if he can get it for free) can undercut ordinary sellers who are paying ordinary postage.

"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 05 February 2017, 23:14:27 »
With shipping costs climbing, and with shipping often approximately equal to, or greater than, the price of the item itself, a seller or re-seller who can monkey with shipping prices (and especially if he can get it for free) can undercut ordinary sellers who are paying ordinary postage.

"Monkey with prices"? You'd have to elaborate.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 06 February 2017, 08:18:29 »
There are many ways to manipulate shipping prices. Printing Post Office postage through ebay yields a 10%-15% discount on retail price, as I remember. Commercial accounts are usually charged less than personal accounts. Companies like Amazon have membership clubs that sometimes even provide free shipping.

My experience in buying and selling keyboards is that shipping costs can equal or exceed the cost of the items themselves, so if a seller is doing something to get free shipping, the cost and/or price difference can be huge.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 06 February 2017, 17:17:10 »
Okay... Somehow I thought you were implying some kind of chicanery. But now it sounds like you're just describing someone who's doing good business.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 06 February 2017, 17:55:34 »

good business

My reply #4 referred to a transaction wherein the price of shipping exceeded the price of the item, so a seller who had a "free shipping" deal was able to offer the item to me at the lowest "delivered" price and was able to still make a profit.

"Good Business" or "Gaming the System" - you decide.