Author Topic: [ENDED] Sperry UNIVAC UTS 30 keyboard, v. clean, $100 shipped  (Read 2898 times)

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
[ENDED] Sperry UNIVAC UTS 30 keyboard, v. clean, $100 shipped
« on: Thu, 02 February 2017, 23:34:04 »
Anyone seen one of these? I don't know how old it is, or what kind of switches it may have, but as it's a seldom-seen board in such nice shape (and I don't have anything more interesting to do at the moment), I thought I'd draw it to your attention.

Sperry UNIVAC UTS 30 Single Operator Station Expanded Typewriter Keyboard

BIN $80.00 + 20.86 shipping.

The listing page has a fair amount of detail (some of it educated conjecture).

If the cable's any indication, this example has hardly been used. Of course it doesn't actually say "Sperry" on it—could it be a newer OEM replacement?
« Last Edit: Fri, 10 February 2017, 00:45:07 by ander »
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline Tactile

Re: Sperry UNIVAC UTS 30 keyboard, v. clean, $100 shipped
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 02 February 2017, 23:44:45 »
They've pulled a cap on this one so you can see the switch stem.
REΛLFORCE

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 03 February 2017, 06:16:59 »
KT F&F. Damn, how many boards did those ****ers at KT make in their day?! xD
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 03 February 2017, 15:03:13 »
KT F&F. Damn, how many boards did those ****ers at KT make in their day?! xD

Ah—foam 'n' foil, with the spring removed? This is why we post about stuff here. Good job.

I've never tried F&F switches, but the mere name implies shoddiness, like "smoke and mirrors". That said, I've read some positive comments about F&F's, and I gather they can be restored (the foam often having deteriorated). And the caps are undeniably cool. So to those in the know, are they irredeemably icky?

I'm no Key Tronic fan either. As far as cursing them, though—well, they've just ridden the surf of supply and demand.

Not everyone wanted to pay hundreds of '90s bucks for a mechanical KB. (It's hard to believe, but there have always many people don't care about KB feel or sound, and just want to type.) So KT created a mushier, shorter-lived version of the product at a fraction of the price. Virtually all consumer items have those kinds of options. It's how the market works. It's up to the buyer to do a bit of research and be sure they're getting what they really want.

I don't know what went through IBM's mind at the time, but I'm guessing they sniffed and ignored the cheap boards, the way Mercedes would've ignored VW. If there'd been any legal grounds to challenging the cheap Model M knock-offs, and any reason to do so, I doubt IBM would've hesitated, given their resources.
« Last Edit: Fri, 03 February 2017, 15:16:51 by ander »
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg