Author Topic: Dell UltraSharp Monitor u3014t Graphical Glitch  (Read 3725 times)

Offline smarmar

• My other Dell Quiet Keys is a Model M
    • Short Stories to Read in the Dark
Dell UltraSharp Monitor u3014t Graphical Glitch
« on: Sat, 23 January 2021, 12:14:44 »
I have been using this Dell u3014t 30” monitor for many years. One day it began doing what you see in the video attachment. After a couple days of screwy graphics it just went to black and never came back. A friend suggested the problem is with the driver board. It looks like buying and swapping parts for this is pretty easy but I’d just like to be sure of which part to replace. Hopefully one of you geeks has the answer. 😉
Thanks.

1992 IBM Model M | Tesoro Durandal[Browns] | Hi-Tek Series 725[Space Invaders] | Tandy Enhanced[Sliders] | Dell Quiet Keys | Mitsumi[AT]

Offline smarmar

Re: Dell UltraSharp Monitor u3014t Graphical Glitch
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 23 January 2021, 12:21:12 »
I couldn’t attach the video so here are some screenshots of what it was doing before it went dark for good.
260442-0" alt="" class="bbc_img" />
260444-1" alt="" class="bbc_img" />
1992 IBM Model M | Tesoro Durandal[Browns] | Hi-Tek Series 725[Space Invaders] | Tandy Enhanced[Sliders] | Dell Quiet Keys | Mitsumi[AT]

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 23 January 2021, 15:15:48 »
mm.... depending on how much the board costs.  because it's not a guaranteed fix,  whereas if you buy a new monitor, that IS a guaranteed fix.   There could be something wrong with the PSU, which triggered the board failure, etc..

technology has moved on alot. you can get a better monitor for reasonably cheap.

Offline Coreda

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 23 January 2021, 15:27:07 »
There was a Dell display where smacking the back forcefully in the area of the internal display ribbon was known to bring it back from glitchiness.

Legit Fonz strats 

Offline smarmar

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 23 January 2021, 16:29:51 »
I don't necessarily need another monitor, I just really liked this one, when it worked. Bringing it back to life would be a bonus. I found driver boards on ebay for $25 which I'm willing to spend but if that doesn't do the trick then I'd be hesitant on putting any more money into fixing.

Hmm...the ol' smack it in the butt technique. I'll use that as a last resort. :thumb:

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 23 January 2021, 16:37:23 »
ha, my ultrasharp did this 3 times.  They replaced it after the first 2.  The 3rd happened 2 years later.  I threw it away

Offline smarmar

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 23 January 2021, 16:51:20 »
ha, my ultrasharp did this 3 times.  They replaced it after the first 2.  The 3rd happened 2 years later.  I threw it away
Jinkies! Maybe mine is simply destined for the dumpster  :(

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 23 January 2021, 16:59:46 »
That board must be overheating then,  if you do fix, you'll need to add a fan or heatsinks or both.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 23 January 2021, 17:01:48 »
There is somethign to that ribbon cable business I think.  See, this happened before I got into keyboards and repairing small electronics.  I never bothered to open it.  But it did always happen after a strong vibration.  My son used to slam the cabinet door on my desk when he was little.  That always set it off.  But whacking it never seemed to put it back like new.  But I bet it could be as simple as a loose part.  Man, I loved that monitor.  Even though it fragged out on me, I've never had a monitor since that I liked as much.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 23 January 2021, 17:35:15 »
What you want is a VA-panel w/ DCI-p3 gamut ,  and CURVED.

It'll blow away your old monitor.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 24 January 2021, 02:54:55 »
I hope you mean the recycling centre :-X
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 24 January 2021, 08:44:34 »
Good point.  I lived in a small town where most people had no idea what an ultrasharp monitor was, but we did have a recycling center that took electronics.  I made a point to show the monitor to the dude who was working that day before I added it to the stack. I was hoping he might pull it out for himself and make use of it somehow. Ha

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 24 January 2021, 09:01:31 »
If it is the ribbon, then what's happening is the LED heatsink or rig might be too close to it, and it overheats and burns out the ribbon.

If you can find cheap replacement ribbons , then it's worth while,  but again, repair is a rabbit hole, and you need to weigh the cost of the parts, always cognizant of the fact that the replacement parts are themselves NOT NEW/ Durable.

In reality, you'd only fix monitors if they're sentimental.

Offline smarmar

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 24 January 2021, 19:56:32 »
I hope you mean the recycling centre :-X
Yes! That's exactly what I meant  ;)

If it is the ribbon, then what's happening is the LED heatsink or rig might be too close to it, and it overheats and burns out the ribbon.

If you can find cheap replacement ribbons , then it's worth while,  but again, repair is a rabbit hole, and you need to weigh the cost of the parts, always cognizant of the fact that the replacement parts are themselves NOT NEW/ Durable.

In reality, you'd only fix monitors if they're sentimental.

That's a good point, tp.

I also forgot to mention that the monitor won't power on any longer. That happened after a few attempts to power it on after the screen finally went black. So, the order of events go thusly: a few days of glitchy graphics, followed by a few days of black screen, followed by not powering on at all.

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 25 January 2021, 08:48:42 »
I think it's time to put the panel in a box and give it a proper send-off.  Time to start looking for a new panel - I know I'm not going to be happy when my XF270HU goes out as it has been an amazing pane for work and play uses.

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D

Offline yui

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 25 January 2021, 10:29:05 »
i had a similar problem with a sony monitor, it was pretty old and i did not wait for it to got that bad but the output filtering caps on the power supply went bad, replaced them and back to life. been running for 3 years like that now, i salvaged the caps from a dead ATX supply. if you can do that it is a good idea to take a gander inside the display, unplugged that is, if it is dead anyhow you will not make it worse, and you have a chance of fixing it maybe even for "free" (for filtering caps, take the same or higher rating and it will work, if it contains 16V 120 uF and you got 50V 200uF those will work the same, if you can fit them)
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)