Author Topic: [Feedback] GMK Untitled  (Read 7085 times)

Offline General_Pretzel

[Feedback] GMK Untitled
« on: Fri, 19 June 2020, 12:53:37 »
Hi all,

I'm looking to get some feedback on a keycap set that I've been working on a bit using the Keyboard Layout Editor. (Sorry, no fancy renders here)

I've never done anything like this before and the likelihood of this actually going anywhere is pretty slim, so I didn't really want to post this in IC quite yet, but I thought it would be fun to just make a keycap set that I enjoyed and get some initial feedback on it from others and just see what people generally thought.

Be honest - I really don't mind constructive criticism, or if you just don't like the color, that's fine too.

245315-0

I don't really have a name for it - I wasn't particularly 'inspired' by anything, I just really enjoy these colors together, so if you have any name suggestions, feel free to drop 'em on me!

I feel like I haven't seen a keycap set with these specific colors and wanted to make something with them. (closest I could really find is GMK Samurai, which has Burgundy/Maroon as the Alpha color, rather than the off-white main tone that I'm going for here). Let me know if you know of something with these colors already - if not, who knows, maybe this will inspire someone else to make a similar keycap set and actually make a GB out of it! (Or if I put a lot of effort in and there is enough interest, perhaps I will actually do something with this!)

Lastly if you have any tips for inserting custom legends through Keyboard Layout Editor, let me know - I just used the default legends/symbols that are available there, but would like to play around with the legends a bit to see what I can make.

Any feedback is appreciated! Thanks!

Offline ddrfraser1

• RIP Neil
Re: [Feedback] GMK Untitled
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 19 June 2020, 12:55:53 »
Not bad looking. I'm not sold on the mod fonts but that's purely subjective. I like the color scheme. Try bunging it in here.

https://kle-render.herokuapp.com/

Offline PseudoLlama

• Ṗ̵̡̝̀̓e̸͉̲͛̔̓͝p̵̢̳̦̲̬̌͊̃̑͝e̷̯͔̾g̶̢̡̳̀̑̋a̶͕̺͆͌͒
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 11 July 2020, 21:24:31 »
If you are really serious about designing this set and making it a reality, you can join the keycaps designers discord, we have a bunch of resources and you can also receive help on getting your set ready for IC.

Link:https://discord.gg/BFqHRd

Offline JCraftCables

• Instagram
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 13 July 2020, 08:14:20 »
Really like this colour combi! It looks a little similar to PBT Hives except the accent colours. Also prefer the standard fonts and icons. I tried to illustrate a similar colour scheme previously but I think yours is more refined :)

Offline WholesomeDucky

• lemme get uhhhhhhhhhhhhh bread
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 13 July 2020, 10:38:33 »
I don't know if this is just a quirk of KLE or an intentional decision, but I would say many people seem to be a fan of consistency between legends. That is, either all centered, or all top-left (with mods often being center-left).

The centered Signature Plastics style legends on the alphas/mods conflict somewhat with the GMK-esque legends on the outlying keys (function row, numpad, nav cluster).

I'm also not sure GMK can even do those centered alphas. Thinking about it now, I've never seen them on a GMK set but that could just be my lack of experience.
12 years of spending money on typing

"Name checks out" -Kustoms, 2020

Discord:wholesomeducky
Inbox always open, for whatever reason.

Offline creativikey

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 14 August 2020, 19:27:24 »
Hey! Do you have another invite link to the keycap designers discord? That one seems to have expired and I can't find another working link..

Offline CustomerSupport

• 🕸 developer
    • Discord
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 02 September 2020, 12:47:09 »
I don't know if this is just a quirk of KLE or an intentional decision, but I would say many people seem to be a fan of consistency between legends. That is, either all centered, or all top-left (with mods often being center-left).

The centered Signature Plastics style legends on the alphas/mods conflict somewhat with the GMK-esque legends on the outlying keys (function row, numpad, nav cluster).

I'm also not sure GMK can even do those centered alphas. Thinking about it now, I've never seen them on a GMK set but that could just be my lack of experience.

Yeah I believe these would not be doable as a GMK set; maybe JTK, otherwise a dye sub shop like ePBT or Infinikey could do these.

GMK uses double-shot moulds, which is why most GMK sets have uniform legends and positioning. Lately, some GMK sets (I believe many run through Dixie Mech) have popularized horiztonally-left, vertically-centered legends for mod keys and F-row keys; some people don't love those, but I think they look nice.

Not saying these mods are impossible to do with GMK or JTK, but it would increase the cost of the set and may require you to buy the custom moulds up front. I may be wrong though