Author Topic: Post-Chicago/Great Lakes/Nashville Meetup Switch Reviews  (Read 16457 times)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Post-Chicago/Great Lakes/Nashville Meetup Switch Reviews
« on: Sun, 21 April 2013, 22:58:38 »
Preface: I know I say this at the end of this review, but if you are using this as a reference for my thoughts, please also refer to my Switch Try Bag review.

For those who don't know, I get asked a lot (Because of my Switch Try Bag and having gone to multiple meets I guess...or because I'm making this statement up :P) how different switches feel. And I love giving my opinion. So this is a post meetup review that I told people in IRC I'd write so that they could find my thoughts.

TABLE OF CONTENTS

The Universal Switch Tester’s Layout

The last two weekends have been spent staring at various highways as I traveled around to meet bros/sisses (whatever the plural of a sis is) and more importantly type on a ton of keyboards that I’ve never tried out before. People are forever asking what different switches feel like so I thought I’d write my thought down so that people can more easily and repeatedly see them.

Two weeks ago, I was in the Nashville and met up with mashby. Before our lovely tour of MechanicalKeyboards.com’s storefront, I got to play with the Universal Switich Tester. Before I write this review, I’m going to just say that the ghetto switches feel the same as the regular switches. They are slightly more wobbly but that’s the only difference I felt.

First off, I re-confirmed that I still dislike MX Reds and Browns. They are both way too light for me. The Reds feel horrible, just linear and if I accidently hit one of the keys too hard, the entire board gets actuated. Browns take the feeling of Reds and add barely-felt bump. I think Browns are almost worse for me than Reds because sometimes they feel linear, sometimes they feel a touch tactile, and sometimes they feel like something got jammed in Reds. Bleh.

As my signature indicates, I love MX blues. It was nice to have the left alpha side be in MX Blues so that I had a baseline for the other switches on the board. On the left side are Browns which my thoughts are shown before.  And then the infamous ergo-clears were in the middle. Honestly? I didn’t like them at all. The first time I pressed down on them I thought they were Browns. On paper, they sounded great. Clears are supposed to be a little heavy and the swap to lighter springs seemed like a great idea. A lighter actuation force with the heavier bump sounded like a dream. However, on the actual board, it felt like a Brown switch. When I pointed the ergo-clears out to Mashby, he said the same thing and instantly popped a cap to check the stem color. I wasn’t that impressed. But I figured I’d give the ergo-clears another try at the Chicago meetup, so more opinions on that later.

So I might have disliked ergo-clears, but the little cluster above with the MX clears was amazing. They felt a little like Blacks in terms of actuation force. And they have this HUGE bump. It’s not like the little one in browns where I get confused half the time if it’s actually there. This one is very very noticeable. They felt really amazing and were relatively quiet. Unfortunately they’re not as smooth as Blacks and Whites. They remind me of Blues in the action but instead of clicking, they have bumps. I don’t think Blues are smooth but they do have a fun mechanical feel which I adore.

Moving to the top left, this was the most interesting cluster to me. Because of my Switch Try Bag, I was really into MX Whites and I couldn’t wait to try them mounted on a keyboard. And I wasn’t disappointed. Imagine if MX Blacks were a touch heavier, were smooth, had a click, and the bottom out was almost cushiony. I really loved how they feel. So the white on the escape felt lovely; just as good as they felt even without being mounted on the keyboard. The two Whites in the F1 and F2 with the Black springs also felt great. They were lighter but still maintained the great feel of Whites. Then the ergo-whites on the F and V keys felt incredible. Unlike the ergo-clears, the switches had a lighter actuation but still had the rest of the feel of MX Whites.

On the F3 key, there was a MX Green switch which felt like super clicky Blue and a little heavier. I would say it was between Blues and Blacks. I got to confirm this later on one of the Ducky DK9008G2 with MX Greens in the MechanicalKeyboards.com showroom.  I really enjoyed them and I wish that I wasn’t so swept up with MX Whites. Greens definitely deserved their own attention.

Finally on the Switch Tester, MX Greys are absurdly heavy. Way too heavy.  They were laughable on the Universal Switch Tester and then I tried them on the Ducky DK9008G2 Red/Black/Grey hybrid board.

Other really cool keyboards I got to try out at Mechanical Keyboards are the Matias boards. The Tactile Pro felt exactly like the tactile Grey Alps I had in my Switch Try bag. Imagine clicky whites Alps but instead of having a click at the top, they just have a crispy bump. The Quiet Pro felt like a muffled version of the Tactile Pro. Both are a real delight to type on and I wish that I had the chance to try the clicky Matias switches out. I've since discovered that the "clicky Matias" switches are the switches in the Tactile Pro. Lovely switches.

So my summary from the MechanicalKeyboards.com meet:
  • Whites are great; clicky, smooth, and quiet
  • Ergo-Whites are super sexy as well
  • Ergo-Clears feel like Browns and I don’t like them
  • I still hate Reds and Browns
  • Clears are the everything I wish Browns were
  • Both Dark Greys (linear) and Greys (Tactile) are hilarious and heavy
  • I really love the Tactile Pro switches and if the GH60-Alps comes out, I’d like those in the GH60 (Although I also hear great things about the Matias Clicky switches)

In Chicago/At the Great Lakes meetup, I got to play with i3oilermaker’s QFR again.

The infamous i3oilermakrer QFR with Ergo-Clears

So yet again, I tried the ergo-clears and I really wasn’t impressed with this board. I know you love your new board Keymaster, but I wasn’t impressed with the sticky mods on the left side. When I pressed down on buttons like Tab, Caps Lock, Left Shift, and Tilde, the buttons seemed to stick. They wouldn’t return to their original position after I pressed down on them which annoyed me.

I also got to try out an SSK and a Model M. I really loved that mechanical feel when the buckling springs hit against the barrel. It makes that amazing ping and just feels so solid and mechanical. I would’ve instantly bought one of the Model M’s Tipo33 was selling but I really fell in love with the SSK. That being said, for the Chicago Mod meetup, I’m going to get a Model M anyways. So Buckling Spring boards apparently all feel different and the ones I felt were a little crispy at the top, then the buckling action happens, followed but a bottom out that felt like a harder version of MX Blues. I really loved how tactile/clicky these felt. If anyone has an SSK, please let me know. I really would love to have one.

I think from the Chicago meetup writeup, people know my thoughts about the Filco Zero but just in case people missed that *Ahem*:
I
NEED
ONE
OF
THESE
RIGHT
NOW
PM ME OFFERS

Seriously…I wish I was kidding but this is so cool. It’s go the build and looks of a Filco with the great clicky-ness of Alps. I know they were XM clones but I’m already salivating over the thought of having complicated blue Alps, clicky White Alps, or the Matias Clicky/Tactile switches in it.

I also got to mess with prdlm2009’s Kinesis and Maltron. The Kinesis was an exercise in futility since I could NOT figure out where to place my hands after messing with it on and off for 45 minutes. The blank caps coupled with the layout still boggles my mind. The Maltron was a bit tamer for me but I’m not sure what happened to some of the Clears in the board; some of which felt like they weren’t tactile or somehow lost their bump. I should’ve prefaced this part by saying that I think that the ergonomic layouts change my perception of switches because I didn’t hate the reds in the Kinesis or the Browns in deepthawt’s G80-5000 but I didn’t care for the Clears in the Maltron.  Oh and deepthawt’s G80-500 had 2 Superblacks which felt like pushing against a wooden fence. There was a SLIGHT flex but really just felt super solid.

Some other thoughts I had were that the vintage switch and Korean spring debates might not be so far off. I tried the Blues in a Dolch PAC keyboard and they really did feel lighter and smoother than the Blues in my Filco or Leopold. And the 65g Korean springs in SmallFry’s Phantom made the Blues feel clicker, springier, and had a slightly cushiony bottom out.

Finally, I also tried a HHKB Pro 2 with 45g Topre switches I believe an HHKB-S. I was already disappointed and found out I really hate Topre switches. In fact, they are now my least favorite mechanical switch. They feel like a rubber dome switch except that there is an actuation point in the middle and the bottom out isn’t completely mushy. Instead, it is more reminiscent of the bottom out in MX Whites: A little cushiony. For the price point, I’d prefer to keep using my Microsoft Ergonomic 4000.

So my summary from the Chicago meet:
  • Still don’t like ergo-clears
  • Korean springs and vintage switches really do feel different
  • Ergonomic boards like the G80-5000, Maltron, and Kinesis throw my perception of switches
  • Superblacks are more hilarious than greys
  • I really like Alps switches

Overall from the two meets I now know my favorites and what switches I don’t like:

Favorites
  • MX Blues
  • MX Whites
  • MX Greens
  • Buckling Springs
  • Clicky White Alps
  • Matias Tactile

Dislikes
  • Topres
  • MX Reds
  • MX Browns
  • MX Dark Grey
  • MX Linear Grey
  • MX Super Blacks

You can combine this with my review on the Mr. Interface Switch Try Bag to get a full picture of what I think of different switches. And since I'm using MX Blues as a baseline for all my reviews, I thought I'd point out that Best Buy carries BlackWidows which has the little cutout around the arrow cluster so you can try MX Blues pretty easily for free. MicroCenter also carries various boards in MX Reds, MX Blacks, MX Browns, and MX Blues. My local MicroCenter even carried Clicky White Alps.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 August 2013, 21:33:51 by CPTBadAss »

Offline keymaster

• Topre Revolution Theorist
Re: Post-Chicago/Great Lakes/Nashville Meetup Switch Reviews
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 21 April 2013, 23:21:00 »
Awesome review, CPTBadAss. I appreciate your extensive review of the different switch types and keyboard you've encountered. I remember the left-side mods sticking on l3oilermaker's QFR sticking at the meet. However, this has not been the case with the thick IMSTO PBT keys I now have on the keyboard. The mods do not stick whatsoever, rather, the ` key and an occasional 1x1 key sticks on the upstroke. I'm thinking of switching out the MX brown springs for 62g or 65g springs.

I really liked the MX Whites at the meet and I could see a lighter spring being a great mod. While I have grown to dislike MX Blues, the Dolch PAC keyboard with "vintage" blues really did feel different -- and the difference was a very pleasant one.

Online Nask

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 22 April 2013, 01:42:54 »
This is a very well written test, and very detailed.
I appreciate it is very subjective and very precise when it comes to talk about of touch feeling and especially you compare with other switches.
It makes me want to try all those different switches, of course, on keyboard.
Keyboards: IBM SSK | Noppoo Choc Mini MX-Blue | PLU ML-87 MX-Brown | CM QFR Mx-Red | CM Novatouch

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
  • Location: 75% You have received a warning for attempting to circumvent the classifieds rules
    • Dubs - Sneakers, Keyboards, and Life
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 22 April 2013, 13:04:29 »
The Wall of Text here. i like it.

Finally on the Switch Tester, MX Greys are absurdly heavy. Way too heavy.  They were laughable on the Universal Switch Tester

All MX Greys on a GH60 of mine.  :p

Solid Write up

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 22 April 2013, 13:18:37 »
Great review, great summary and a lot of fun to read. Thank you.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 22 April 2013, 13:26:53 »
Boo, I'm in Nashville right now. For about an hour before I catch a flight to Cleveland. Anybody in Cleveland who would want to meet up before I drive out of there?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 22 April 2013, 13:28:24 »
Boo, I'm in Nashville right now. For about an hour before I catch a flight to Cleveland. Anybody in Cleveland who would want to meet up before I drive out of there?

If you're driving through Cincy let me know man.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 22 April 2013, 13:31:34 »
Aww, sorry bro. That's in the opposite direction of where I'm heading... :/

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 22 April 2013, 13:35:11 »
Next time :D

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 22 April 2013, 13:55:32 »
I'll be driving to Youngstown. I would be able to drive around there to meet people. Let me know.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 22 April 2013, 17:37:24 »
I'll be driving to Youngstown. I would be able to drive around there to meet people. Let me know.

A bit far from me. If you're there over the weekend though...

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 22 April 2013, 18:17:27 »
Maybe we can meet up in Columbus one night? It's roughly halfway between us. Can you drive? And drink?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 22 April 2013, 18:17:53 »
Maybe we can meet up in Columbus one night? It's roughly halfway between us. Can you drive? And drink?

I don't drink but I can drive up. PM me ^__^

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 22 April 2013, 19:35:13 »
I fell in love with Topre on that HHKB.  I feel exactly the opposite at CPTBadass.  I can't wait to get my hands on one of those new Leopold Topre boards.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 22 April 2013, 19:37:20 »
I demand you write a review when you get your Leopold sir :D

Offline dante

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 22 April 2013, 19:43:42 »
CPTBadAss: while I didn't like MX Whites on your Pure I did notice how much more solid the board feels compared to the Poker.   I had a couple Poker's with Red and Black switches that caused the board to buckle in the middle.  So I was curious how the MX Whites and I'd say the Pure is much improved.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 22 April 2013, 19:46:00 »
The Pure case is better than the Poker? I'm surprised because my Pure is a little shaky and it's kinda flimsy IMO. But maybe I'm not used to this type of case/board. What didn't you like about MX Whites dante?

Offline dante

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 22 April 2013, 19:51:08 »
The Pure case is better than the Poker? I'm surprised because my Pure is a little shaky and it's kinda flimsy IMO. But maybe I'm not used to this type of case/board. What didn't you like about MX Whites dante?

Well it does feel a little flimsy - but on the Poker if you type towards the center of the keyboard the PCB itself would buckle - even on Reds; but I never encountered that on the Pure.

The Whites ... two issues ... first the tactility doesn't have as much bite as buckling spring; also the whites seemed to suffer the same fate as blues/greens: Half the whites I tried didn't click.

Cherry ML doesn't have as much bite as the buckling spring but I love that springy gritty feel :)  Ok I'm weird.

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 22 April 2013, 20:02:02 »
I demand you write a review when you get your Leopold sir :D

We'll see if I could even get the thing.  Looks like we need a Korean proxy at the moment.

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 22 April 2013, 20:03:27 »
Oh yeah, the Model M is living up the hype.  No other clicky switch like that tank of a keyboard.  Makes all my Alps board feel like child's play.

Offline dante

« Reply #20 on: Mon, 22 April 2013, 20:25:25 »
Oh yeah, the Model M is living up the hype.  No other clicky switch like that tank of a keyboard.  Makes all my Alps board feel like child's play.

Buckling spring would be my only keyboard if noise wasn't a consideration.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 22 April 2013, 20:30:49 »
Does the floss mod cut down on the noise?

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #22 on: Mon, 22 April 2013, 20:48:52 »
Also, CPTBadass, did you see this for sale on Ebay?  Not a Filco Zero, but interesting enough.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221208105758?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 22 April 2013, 20:53:27 »
Yes but I have a new Filco Zero Wannabe Project

Offline tipo33

• "Ski"
« Reply #24 on: Mon, 22 April 2013, 21:23:07 »

Buckling spring would be my only keyboard if noise wasn't a consideration.
same, the GF absolutely HATES the racket it makes.
KM4COL    R.I.P.  SmallFry

Offline Glissant

« Reply #25 on: Tue, 23 April 2013, 22:01:39 »
I didn't think about browns like that before you mentioned it. Now I'm beginning to find it difficult to feel the difference when typing xD.
It felt like you missed the green switches in your summary by the way. Not sure if that was intentional or not. I guess you really said everything in the review itself.

I am really glad I am getting some white switches after reading your review. Thanks for a comprehensive and thorough write up.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #26 on: Tue, 23 April 2013, 22:04:58 »
I didn't get nearly enough time on Greens to make a proper impression. I enjoyed that they were clicky. Pretty much, they were Blues but a bit heavier. Somewhere between Blues and Blacks. You get that lovely touch of resistance when you hit the keys and they click like Blues. I liked em so much that they're going on my next custom board.

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #27 on: Wed, 24 April 2013, 08:38:14 »
I didn't get nearly enough time on Greens to make a proper impression. I enjoyed that they were clicky. Pretty much, they were Blues but a bit heavier. Somewhere between Blues and Blacks. You get that lovely touch of resistance when you hit the keys and they click like Blues. I liked em so much that they're going on my next custom board.

What to buy a QFR with MX-Greens?  :p

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #28 on: Wed, 24 April 2013, 08:43:09 »
If it didn't have that rubber coating, I would've bought it at MechanicalKeyboards!

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #29 on: Wed, 24 April 2013, 11:03:43 »
If it didn't have that rubber coating, I would've bought it at MechanicalKeyboards!

That's easy to fix with a Vortex Aluminum Case. Sorry, I shouldn't be thread crapping like this. LOL.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #30 on: Wed, 24 April 2013, 22:57:01 »
Wasn't a huge fan of those cases tbh. And it's fine XD

Offline Dianoda

« Reply #31 on: Thu, 25 April 2013, 00:27:45 »
Nice write up CPT.  Reading through this thread made me realize I spent way too much time playing with my camera at the meetup and not enough time playing with keyboards...

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #32 on: Thu, 25 April 2013, 20:47:08 »
The solution is to come to the next meetup!

Offline Dianoda

« Reply #33 on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 01:02:14 »
Yeah, and my LZ-GH should be ready in time for the next Chicago area meetup, too :D.  Should be fun to see, although judging from your switch reviews/preferences, I'm not sure you'll like my switch choice much - 55g blacks, lubed, stickered (what can I say, I like my switches light).

Offline keymaster

• Topre Revolution Theorist
« Reply #34 on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 09:33:59 »
Yeah, and my LZ-GH should be ready in time for the next Chicago area meetup, too :D.  Should be fun to see, although judging from your switch reviews/preferences, I'm not sure you'll like my switch choice much - 55g blacks, lubed, stickered (what can I say, I like my switches light).

That sounds really good, Dianoda. Isn't the 55g Korean spring not much different from the MX Red spring, though? I've read good things about 62g blacks.

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • "DO NOT BRING YOUR EVIL HERE." -Swamp Thing
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #35 on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 10:36:10 »
Great review! Extremely detailed.
GeekHack Artwork Resources | The Living GeekHack Logo Thread | Signature Plastics ABS Chip Scanning Project | Krog Flocks Around | Keyboard Color Scheme Archive | [GB] PBT DyeSub DSA Granite Set
More
Quote from: Samuel Adams
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Offline Dianoda

« Reply #36 on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 11:05:39 »

That sounds really good, Dianoda. Isn't the 55g Korean spring not much different from the MX Red spring, though? I've read good things about 62g blacks.

Yeah, the 55g springs should be a little lighter than the stock mx red springs, although now that I think about it, I'm using the 55g springs from sherryton/originative.  There was some discussion earlier on his vendor forum as to whether his 55g springs are truly 55g or not (some reported that they are slightly heavier than the stock springs in mx reds/blues/browns).  So it could be that my springs are actually closer to 62g than 55g, I'll need to test it against a stock mx red board at the next meetup.

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #37 on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 11:20:42 »

Yeah, the 55g springs should be a little lighter than the stock mx red springs, although now that I think about it, I'm using the 55g springs from sherryton/originative.  There was some discussion earlier on his vendor forum as to whether his 55g springs are truly 55g or not (some reported that they are slightly heavier than the stock springs in mx reds/blues/browns).  So it could be that my springs are actually closer to 62g than 55g, I'll need to test it against a stock mx red board at the next meetup.

The 55g springs I got from sherry were, as far as I could tell, lighter than stock red/blue/brown springs. Not by much, but then again, they aren't really suppose to be all that much lighter

Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline Dreamre

• kbdlife
« Reply #38 on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 19:30:02 »
Too bad there's no meet-ups in Canada :(.

Offline tsangan

• ★★★
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
  • 1000/600
« Reply #39 on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 19:32:13 »
Keyboardless

Offline Dreamre

• kbdlife
« Reply #40 on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 19:51:14 »
Too bad there's no meet-ups in Canada :(.
You're too slow!

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=38206.0

No!!!

I will definitely go during the next meet up :0.

Well...since I just got into this expensive hobby, you can't blame me!

Offline Jocelyn

• 조셀린
« Reply #41 on: Fri, 24 May 2013, 12:00:46 »
Are the springs/stems on this board lubed?  :)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #42 on: Fri, 24 May 2013, 12:02:11 »
Are the springs/stems on this board lubed?  :)

Oh which board Sisbot?

Offline Jocelyn

• 조셀린
« Reply #43 on: Fri, 24 May 2013, 12:03:11 »
The Universal Switch Tester or anything with browns/ergo-clears for that matter.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #44 on: Fri, 24 May 2013, 12:04:39 »
I don't think so. And I've never tried lubed Browns and Ergo-Clears.

Offline Jocelyn

• 조셀린
« Reply #45 on: Fri, 24 May 2013, 12:07:20 »
K, well I'm not trying to say anything bad about your switch review (It's excellent & I'm thankful for it), but you should definitely try more switches that are lubed.
If you haven't tried lubed ergo-clears by the time I have my GH60, I'll let you borrow my Poker for a little while :)

Edit - I forgot to add in that unlubed switches feel horrible comparatively imo
« Last Edit: Fri, 24 May 2013, 12:08:57 by Jocelyn »

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #46 on: Fri, 24 May 2013, 12:10:43 »
If and when I try lubed MX switches, I'll probably add another writeup to this. I'm trying to compile my thoughts on switches in one place so I don't have to keep repeating myself :D. And I appreciate the offer. I might have to take you up on it.

Hopefully I'm not too biased against Browns and Ergo-Clears and I'll give them a fair chance when the time comes. I've read that lubed Browns feel like Reds and lubed ergo-clears feel like Topre. Both of which I'm not a fan of as I've written.

Offline naokira

• The King in the North
« Reply #47 on: Fri, 24 May 2013, 12:39:09 »
So, whites are like blues with a silent click with a stiffer string? I came from blues and I want to be silent this time. :) I can go for clears too. But I'm intrigue on whites.
FaceW in LZ-CE

Offline Jocelyn

• 조셀린
« Reply #48 on: Fri, 24 May 2013, 12:41:40 »
So, whites are like blues with a silent click with a stiffer string? I came from blues and I want to be silent this time. :) I can go for clears too. But I'm intrigue on whites.

They're much quieter, but definitely not silent and yes they have stiffer springs.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #49 on: Fri, 24 May 2013, 12:43:07 »

They're not silent. It's a muffled click and like Jocelyn said, they have heavier springs. Clears are also not silent. When I'm in calls on Skype, I always think Clears are Blacks or a clicky switch that is modded. And I've written all my other thoughts in the OP.