Author Topic: Noppoo Choc Mini Group Buy  (Read 48435 times)

Offline panda-R

Noppoo Choc Mini Group Buy
« Reply #100 on: Wed, 20 April 2011, 19:20:06 »
Quote from: keyboardlover;334557
.XL, watch out it's a trick!

haha u mad bro cuz u were on the bottom!
DO YOU FEEL THE BEAT? I DO.
One Keyboard to DOOM them all, REALFORCE.

Offline .XL

• http://www.paokfc.gr/
« Reply #101 on: Wed, 20 April 2011, 19:21:51 »
Panda: I waited until your business was done before I started asking questions. You couldn't show the same courtesy, I can see.

I apologized in your thread, stating that had I know that you were charged customs duties on both items I would not have commented.
Keyboards: Filco Majestouch-2 87key Browns - Realforce 103UB 55g - Compaq MX11800 (ghetto clears + doubleshots)

Offline panda-R

« Reply #102 on: Wed, 20 April 2011, 19:56:14 »
Quote from: .XL;334561
Panda: I waited until your business was done before I started asking questions. You couldn't show the same courtesy, I can see.

I apologized in your thread, stating that had I know that you were charged customs duties on both items I would not have commented.

i am a panda man, you ever tried reasoning with a panda that just wants to eat ur bamboo, wait no i want u to eat my bamboo...

besides i'm not threadcrapping your group buy, i think it's great whatever it is you are doing but I'mma still call you out on your lies and contradictions.

However I am willing to look the other way if u give me that hug u promised.

Offline .XL

« Reply #103 on: Wed, 20 April 2011, 20:02:19 »
Quote from: panda-R;334585
i am a panda man, you ever tried reasoning with a panda that just wants to eat ur bamboo, wait no i want u to eat my bamboo...

besides i'm not threadcrapping your group buy, i think it's great whatever it is you are doing but I'mma still call you out on your lies and contradictions.

However I am willing to look the other way if u give me that hug u promised.

I never promised any hug...

I never lied, either. The keyboards were tested in Hong Kong to see if they were functioning. They were used ;)
Keyboards: Filco Majestouch-2 87key Browns - Realforce 103UB 55g - Compaq MX11800 (ghetto clears + doubleshots)

Offline panda-R

« Reply #104 on: Wed, 20 April 2011, 20:04:18 »
Quote from: .XL;334589
I never promised any hug...

I never lied, either. The keyboards were tested in Hong Kong to see if they were functioning. They were used ;)

no hug no leave.

spock would be proud of your logic. I should be angry that amazon sold me a used keyboard then.

you have no integrity or honor. dood i caught u in ur big fat lies already u should just come clean already. your a customs form hacker.

Offline .XL

« Reply #105 on: Wed, 20 April 2011, 20:06:38 »
Quote from: panda-R;334592
no hug no leave.

spock would be proud of your logic. I should be angry that amazon sold me a used keyboard then.

you have no integrity or honor. dood i caught u in ur big fat lies already u should just come clean already. your a customs form hacker.

**** I wish I could hack.

And you're saying I have no integrity or honor because I marked several packages as used, and then said I don't lie on customs forms? LOL!

Hugs are forms of submission. I again refuse.

I can set you up a nice panda bed over there in the corner if you think you'll be spending the night...

Offline panda-R

« Reply #106 on: Wed, 20 April 2011, 20:10:36 »
Quote from: .XL;334595
**** I wish I could hack.

And you're saying I have no integrity or honor because I marked several packages as used, and then said I don't lie on customs forms? LOL!

Hugs are forms of submission. I again refuse.

I can set you up a nice panda bed over there in the corner if you think you'll be spending the night...

you aren't qualified to drive the ferd f-teenthousand because you can't man up and say you lie on customs forms.

panda's don't sleep on bed's stupid.

Offline .XL

« Reply #107 on: Wed, 20 April 2011, 20:13:29 »
Quote from: panda-R;334596
you aren't qualified to drive the ferd f-teenthousand because you can't man up and say you lie on customs forms.

panda's don't sleep on bed's stupid.

I prefer not getting 9 miles per gallon :wink:

Are you sure they don't?

*hug*

Is everything okay now?

Offline panda-R

« Reply #108 on: Wed, 20 April 2011, 20:17:27 »
Quote from: .XL;334598
Are you sure they don't?
Show Image

*hug*

Is everything okay now?

lol yup we coo now :D

*HUGZ*

Offline bassjones

« Reply #109 on: Wed, 20 April 2011, 20:28:58 »
Received my board yesterday and as far as I can tell, it's in perfect working condition.

Thanks again for putting this group buy together.  The purchasing process was simple and it came faster than I expected.

Offline .XL

« Reply #110 on: Wed, 20 April 2011, 21:10:33 »
Quote from: bassjones;334614
Received my board yesterday and as far as I can tell, it's in perfect working condition.

Thanks again for putting this group buy together.  The purchasing process was simple and it came faster than I expected.

Not a problem! I'd appreciate a rating in the members ratings section if it's not too much trouble :)

Offline jat4

« Reply #111 on: Thu, 21 April 2011, 08:23:16 »
WOAH.  I can't believe this.  Today I received a letter that I've received a package.  Apparently the local post office tried to deliver the board to me *yesterday*.  That's ridiculously fast.

Aanyway, the keyboard is in perfect condition and feels really nice. :-)

Thank you so much!

Offline .XL

« Reply #112 on: Thu, 21 April 2011, 09:22:40 »
Quote from: jat4;334795
WOAH.  I can't believe this.  Today I received a letter that I've received a package.  Apparently the local post office tried to deliver the board to me *yesterday*.  That's ridiculously fast.

Aanyway, the keyboard is in perfect condition and feels really nice. :-)

Thank you so much!

That's insane! I sent it Friday with the cheapest shipping method ($21) and you got it 4 business days later...

I definitely didn't expect that to happen :p

Offline tdh

« Reply #113 on: Thu, 21 April 2011, 11:31:18 »
Just got mine today (although I have yet to test it). Thanks a lot for setting this up. Death to PayPal!
« Last Edit: Thu, 21 April 2011, 11:34:02 by tdh »

Offline .XL

« Reply #114 on: Thu, 21 April 2011, 12:27:09 »
Quote from: tdh;334917
Just got mine today (although I have yet to test it). Thanks a lot for setting this up. Death to PayPal!

Good to hear! Damn - USPS was really moving this week! I still can't believe it made it to Finland before California though....

Offline spdx

« Reply #115 on: Thu, 21 April 2011, 12:36:59 »
Quote from: .XL;334951
Good to hear! Damn - USPS was really moving this week! I still can't believe it made it to Finland before California though....

Still waiting ....................................................................... in California :yawn:

Offline morphine

« Reply #116 on: Thu, 21 April 2011, 13:27:18 »
Got mine yesterday. Mine has faded keys but I thankfully I don't care. The board is solid and the key action just right - love it.

Exceptional service and communication by XL throughout.

Offline calavera

« Reply #117 on: Thu, 21 April 2011, 13:28:19 »
Hey, I received my keyboard a day earlier than I expected. Thanks again for setting this up.

Now for the bad part... everything on the keyboard is fine except the printing is horrible. Most of the letters are barely visible while Q and T and a few numbers have higher contrast. That's noppoo's poo quality control right there.

Offline morphine

« Reply #118 on: Thu, 21 April 2011, 13:31:53 »
calavera,

That's exactly the case with mine. The R is well defined but most of the other keys are heavily faded. My fiancee's first question was whether it was a used keyboard or exceptionally dusty.

I don't buy keyboards for aesthetics so it doesn't bother me in the least but I see how it could be an issue for some.

m

Offline .XL

« Reply #119 on: Thu, 21 April 2011, 13:54:55 »
I think this is a frequent issue - I've read about it on here a few times before. The lasering process is inconsistent and the result is the look of the keys is inconsistent :/

I wish I had the ability to swap out keys for you guys, as both I and user 'aming' love the board and want to get it into as many people's hands as possible. A cosmetic problem like this steers some people away from the board, even though the keyboard itself works fine

Offline popol

« Reply #120 on: Thu, 21 April 2011, 14:23:21 »
This keyboard is a ****ing scam. The print on the keycaps are uneven, some keys are almost not printed and only one or 2 are really golden printed.
        Recommending that keyboard is really not willing to help people.

High disapointment.

- look at the "{[" keys difference over the enter key: one is really printed the other one almost not at all.
        - look at the 2 keys on the left of the enter one: almost not printed at all.
        - The only really printed key (too much???) is the Q (by the way in phonetic "Q" means ass in French... ironic isn't it?) and almost the "7".

And I'm not talking about the kind of white veil covering unevenly the keys...

They don't do any QA.
        (Sorry for my bad English)

Offline tdh

« Reply #121 on: Thu, 21 April 2011, 14:33:40 »
Same thing here with regard to the faded keys. Board seems to function great though, so I don't really care.

Offline .XL

« Reply #122 on: Thu, 21 April 2011, 14:44:26 »
Quote from: popol;335019
This keyboard is a ****ing scam. The print on the keycaps are uneven, some keys are almost not printed and only one or 2 are really golden printed.
        Recommending that keyboard is really not willing to help people.

High disapointment.

- look at the "{[" keys difference over the enter key: one is really printed the other one almost not at all.
        - look at the 2 keys on the left of the enter one: almost not printed at all.
        - The only really printed key (too much???) is the Q (by the way in phonetic "Q" means ass in French... ironic isn't it?) and almost the "7".

And I'm not talking about the kind of white veil covering unevenly the keys...

They don't do any QA.
        (Sorry for my bad English)

I already admitted the keyprinting isn't good...that's the biggest downfall of the board. However if you notice almost all people that own the Noppoo prefer the layout and the feel to Filcos/Leopolds/etc.

You pay for the experience, not just the printing. If you wanted great printing and didn't care about a quality typing experience you'd be fine with a quietkey...but of course that's not why we're here.

Most people that have their Noppoo's love them, some people say it's the best keyboard they own. Shoddy lasering on the keycaps shouldn't prevent you from getting a great board, and definitely doesn't warrant calling it a '****ing scam.'

What do you think about Filcos? Are they a ****ing scam because the keys get shiny? You can always swap the stock keys if you don't like them, anyway.

Offline popol

« Reply #123 on: Thu, 21 April 2011, 15:00:03 »
Quote from: .XL;335038
I already admitted the keyprinting isn't good...that's the biggest downfall of the board. However if you notice almost all people that own the Noppoo prefer the layout and the feel to Filcos/Leopolds/etc.

You pay for the experience, not just the printing. If you wanted great printing and didn't care about a quality typing experience you'd be fine with a quietkey...but of course that's not why we're here.

Most people that have their Noppoo's love them, some people say it's the best keyboard they own. Shoddy lasering on the keycaps shouldn't prevent you from getting a great board, and definitely doesn't warrant calling it a '****ing scam.'

What do you think about Filcos? Are they a ****ing scam because the keys get shiny? You can always swap the stock keys if you don't like them, anyway.

Seriousl, I can understand what you say but here it's really not professional from a company. And the comparison with Filco keys is maybe a bit too much ;)
I can't imagine that stuff sold in Europe nor in US in stores.

Anyway, am i the only one to see only one or 2 highly printed keys and some almost not at all?

Based on what you said, I'll give it a try. Maybe I'll love it... if I manage to see the keys as i'm not an otaku-like typer ^^

Offline Parallaxis

« Reply #124 on: Thu, 21 April 2011, 15:45:18 »
The build quality is fine as far as I can tell.  The laser etching is inconsistent on mine as well, the Q and Y keys are noticeably more gold than the rest, but it's just the keyprinting, I couldn't really care less.  It still feels and types the same, and I'm not constantly staring at the keys to type.  I bought it for being a compact mechanical keyboard, not because it's pretty and shiny to look at, so I don't really have an issue with the sketchy keyprinting QA myself.

Offline .XL

« Reply #125 on: Thu, 21 April 2011, 16:01:38 »
Quote from: popol;335047
Seriousl, I can understand what you say but here it's really not professional from a company. And the comparison with Filco keys is maybe a bit too much ;)
I can't imagine that stuff sold in Europe nor in US in stores.

Anyway, am i the only one to see only one or 2 highly printed keys and some almost not at all?

Based on what you said, I'll give it a try. Maybe I'll love it... if I manage to see the keys as i'm not an otaku-like typer ^^

I think you should use one before you call it a scam :wink: It's a great board, once you get past the printing issue.

And I've seen much worse sold in both the EU and US. The Blackwidow, namely. The legends on the keys come off really quickly. Most gaming keyboards are pretty crap.

And, as I said earlier, you can exchange the caps. POM are quite nice (better than the ABS on the Filcos) but if the lettering bothers you that much you can stick some other caps on there. It's like not buying a house because the you don't like the color of the walls...you can change that! :p

Offline popol

« Reply #126 on: Thu, 21 April 2011, 17:39:05 »
I'm trying.. but I can't see anything on the keyboard. So as I'm getting from ISO to ANSI that's making it harder ^^

Offline Parallaxis

« Reply #127 on: Thu, 21 April 2011, 17:43:45 »
Quote from: popol;335118
I'm trying.. but I can't see anything on the keyboard. So as I'm getting from ISO to ANSI that's making it harder ^^

I don't believe the choc mini was intended to have all bright gold keys, I'm pretty sure it was intended to have the key symbols fairly faint for a somewhat stealth look.  I hope you didn't buy it thinking otherwise

Offline jat4

« Reply #128 on: Thu, 21 April 2011, 17:52:37 »
Quote from: Parallaxis;335120
I don't believe the choc mini was intended to have all bright gold keys, I'm pretty sure it was intended to have the key symbols fairly faint for a somewhat stealth look.  I hope you didn't buy it thinking otherwise

Right.  Unfortunately, it is possible to take a picture of the board in a way that makes the key symbols clearly visible so that might throw people off if they don't do their research before buying the board.  It also doesn't help that there is a significant number of pictures floating around the internet with the "older" pad printed keys.  Those pictures have clear, white symbols on the keys.

But as already pointed out upthread, what the keyboard looks like doesn't really matter that much; it feels really great and it's compact and quite light too.  I personally bought this for gaming and traveling, and I think it is great for both. :-)

Offline noodles256

• le legendary
« Reply #129 on: Thu, 21 April 2011, 18:00:05 »
The argument vs Filco and Blackwidow is stupid. Those are two different cases, the Noppoo's lettering is faded due to bad QA. The Blackwidow and Filco faded lettering is due to heavy use.

NOT a fair comparison in my opinion
AF | Ducky YOTD |

Offline .XL

« Reply #130 on: Thu, 21 April 2011, 18:53:09 »
Quote from: noodles256;335133
The argument vs Filco and Blackwidow is stupid. Those are two different cases, the Noppoo's lettering is faded due to bad QA. The Blackwidow and Filco faded lettering is due to heavy use.

NOT a fair comparison in my opinion

Quite fair, actually. When the Filco keys get shiny after a month, the Blackwidow keys wear off after a month, and the Noppoo keys are the same that does matter.

My main point with that was there aren't many 'perfect' keys. For a keyboard that's in the $75-$80 range before shipping that's almost as good quality as the Filco and better than the Blackwidow I think we can allow a little leeway when 2 keys are a bit brighter than the rest. It's really just nitpicking.

The Noppoo WAS supposed to have the stealth look, that's the general consensus. The brighter keys are the anomaly, not the other way around.

This is like saying the Realforce keycaps are **** because you can't see the legends - they're dark on purpose. The different shades of gold between the regular keys and the 2 that are lighter is a shame but IMO not an actual issue at all.

I'd gladly own one of these if it didn't have issues running on OS X. I personally think it's a fantastic board and if the only complaint is that 2 letter have a more visible gold legend than the rest then I think it's safe to say it's quite a good board for the money.

Offline n12

« Reply #131 on: Thu, 21 April 2011, 19:08:52 »
Quote from: ripster;335172
People who bought the keyboard without reading the reviews deserve what they get.
I must have posted this pic 20 times and commented on the Poo Noppoo keys.
So suck it up and stop whining.
Totally... Anyone who took a look at any pictures of one before they bought it could tell "Hey, the printing on those keys look quite faint/dark."

Some may like that, some don't. Is it really that big of a deal if one key cap has a slightly stronger print? Saying that the keyboard is a scam because of this is just hilarious...

Offline BaconKnight

« Reply #132 on: Thu, 21 April 2011, 19:13:47 »
Sorry for the nub question but is it possible to replace all the keys on a Noppoo with something else if it bothers people so much?
Leopold FC200RC/AB
Noppoo Choc Mini
TG3 Data911
Cherry G80-8113LRCUS
IBM Model M 1391401
SIIG Minitouch 1903
Dell AT101W GYUM90SK

Image Gallery

Offline .XL

« Reply #133 on: Thu, 21 April 2011, 19:18:44 »
Quote from: BaconKnight;335180
Sorry for the nub question but is it possible to replace all the keys on a Noppoo with something else if it bothers people so much?

Yeah, I don't see why not. They're all Cherry MX keycaps. The only difference would be there would be no printing on media keys and the LED keys wouldn't have a window.

It'd be nice if Noppoo released a limited-run black PBT set with light gray or white letters. That would get everyone else to stop complaining. If they went with ABS, people would complain they're stupid for making the keys of lower quality. If they went the Realforce route, people would still hate them.

You just can't win if you're a Noppoo CS rep :p The bosses are bi-winning though :wink:

Offline Parallaxis

« Reply #134 on: Thu, 21 April 2011, 19:29:08 »
Isn't the space bar an odd size also?  I thought that was brought up in the doubleshot group buy, someone wanting keys for their choc mini

Offline .XL

« Reply #135 on: Thu, 21 April 2011, 19:49:06 »
Quote from: ripster;335190
Front row and far right column is going to be a big problem on the Noppoo (glad I posted that pic so I could check it out).  Also small RShift normally.

Quote from: Parallaxis;335191
Isn't the space bar an odd size also?  I thought that was brought up in the doubleshot group buy, someone wanting keys for their choc mini

L2Bandsaw keycaps!

Offline RedCloudFuneral

« Reply #136 on: Thu, 21 April 2011, 19:50:39 »
I am thinking about buying one of these boards from the classifieds. The keys look fine, is this problem something to do with manufacturing or do they wear like this over time?

Offline calavera

« Reply #137 on: Thu, 21 April 2011, 20:06:03 »
I knew there were problems with quality control but didn't think it'd be that much noticeable. I don't really care about whether the prints are dark or light; it's the inconsistency of the prints that is the problem.

It bothered me for a few secs but I was planning on replacing all the key caps so it's not a big deal, but the whole "that's to be expected, deal with it" attitude isn't right either. Just because it's made in China doesn't give them the excuse to ship out half-assed key caps. People aren't "whining" because it's ABS or PBT or pad printed or whatever. It's like they set the laser to random before edging in the letters. lol

Anyways, as I said earlier even with this QC issue it's still a great keyboard. Compact size, plate mounted, thick key caps (this I liked a lot despite horrible prints)...etc.

Btw, can anyone check if the backspace came with stabil pieces? I don't know what they're called exactly. I was switching out key caps earlier and noticed it was missing the black plastic pieces that attach to the key cap side slots. Hard to explain. :P

Offline .XL

« Reply #138 on: Thu, 21 April 2011, 20:08:31 »
Quote from: calavera;335205
I knew there were problems with quality control but didn't think it'd be that much noticeable. I don't really care about whether the prints are dark or light; it's the inconsistency of the prints that is the problem.

It bothered me for a few secs but I was planning on replacing all the key caps so it's not a big deal, but the whole "that's to be expected, deal with it" attitude isn't right either. Just because it's made in China doesn't give them the excuse to ship out half-assed key caps. People aren't "whining" because it's ABS or PBT or pad printed or whatever. It's like they set the laser to random before edging in the letters. lol

Anyways, as I said earlier even with this QC issue it's still a great keyboard. Compact size, plate mounted, thick key caps (this I liked a lot despite horrible prints)...etc.

Btw, can anyone check if the backspace came with stabil pieces? I don't know what they're called exactly. I was switching out key caps earlier and noticed it was missing the black plastic pieces that attach to the key cap side slots. Hard to explain. :P

The stabilizers? I think that may be a cherry/filco thing. Is the backspace sitting on only the switch?

Offline fortran

« Reply #139 on: Thu, 21 April 2011, 20:21:05 »
Quote from: RedCloudFuneral;335202
I am thinking about buying one of these boards from the classifieds. The keys look fine, is this problem something to do with manufacturing or do they wear like this over time?

manufacturing iirc http://geekhack.org/showwiki.php?title=Island:15003

Offline calavera

« Reply #140 on: Thu, 21 April 2011, 20:25:32 »
Quote from: .XL;335207
The stabilizers? I think that may be a cherry/filco thing. Is the backspace sitting on only the switch?

Yes it's sitting on the switch only. The stabilizer bar? is there too, it's just the two black plastic pieces that hook to the bars and fit into the key caps that's missing.

Offline calavera

« Reply #141 on: Thu, 21 April 2011, 20:41:52 »
hey ripster, why are you ignoring my PMs. >:D

back on topic, the black plastic pieces I'm talking about is missing in those pics as well.

edit: Found them stuck somewhere. clumsy me :P

Offline calavera

« Reply #142 on: Thu, 21 April 2011, 23:05:48 »

group buy 3 can't come soon enough. :( moogle kits I need it...nao!

Offline BaconKnight

« Reply #143 on: Thu, 21 April 2011, 23:29:32 »
That looks surprisingly better than I thought it would.
Leopold FC200RC/AB
Noppoo Choc Mini
TG3 Data911
Cherry G80-8113LRCUS
IBM Model M 1391401
SIIG Minitouch 1903
Dell AT101W GYUM90SK

Image Gallery

Offline .XL

« Reply #144 on: Thu, 21 April 2011, 23:39:18 »
Quote from: calavera;335293

group buy 3 can't come soon enough. :( moogle kits I need it...nao!

That looks awesome! Doubleshot noppoo is pretty beastly :p It's a shame you don't have the Fn keys visible now...guess you just have to memorize them :p

Offline calavera

« Reply #145 on: Fri, 22 April 2011, 00:03:43 »
Quote from: .XL;335311
That looks awesome! Doubleshot noppoo is pretty beastly :p It's a shame you don't have the Fn keys visible now...guess you just have to memorize them :p

Actually that's why I only switched out DEL and PRT SC keys since I use them a lot but don't really use their secondary keys. On the other hand I use both PG UP/DN and their secondary keys so I won't switch them out until I get used to those. Other keys will be replaced once I get the moogle kit. I might also sand off the noppoo logo on the space bar.

I'll probably switch to beige/white double shots later. :)

Offline popol

« Reply #146 on: Fri, 22 April 2011, 00:35:07 »
If you don't see anything it's not hilarious... but thanks for your interesting comment.

Offline BaconKnight

« Reply #147 on: Fri, 22 April 2011, 00:53:50 »
Aside from the key cap printing issue, what's the general feel for the keyboard? Was thinking about getting one and keypad printing on it doesn't really matter to me. I read the reviews up on the site but was just wondering what people who might've received theirs from this group buy think about it.

EDIT: Actually went through the entire thread again and noticed some people already responded, it looks like general consensus is keypad printing does suck but the keyboard itself feels really solid. Actually sold me, picked up one for myself. :-)
« Last Edit: Fri, 22 April 2011, 03:05:53 by BaconKnight »
Leopold FC200RC/AB
Noppoo Choc Mini
TG3 Data911
Cherry G80-8113LRCUS
IBM Model M 1391401
SIIG Minitouch 1903
Dell AT101W GYUM90SK

Image Gallery

Offline n12

« Reply #148 on: Fri, 22 April 2011, 03:33:46 »
Quote from: BaconKnight;335346
Aside from the key cap printing issue, what's the general feel for the keyboard? Was thinking about getting one and keypad printing on it doesn't really matter to me. I read the reviews up on the site but was just wondering what people who might've received theirs from this group buy think about it.

EDIT: Actually went through the entire thread again and noticed some people already responded, it looks like general consensus is keypad printing does suck but the keyboard itself feels really solid. Actually sold me, picked up one for myself. :-)

The keyboard feels solid. Perfectly fine. I also prefer the texture of the Choc's keycaps greatly over my Filco.

Offline BaconKnight

« Reply #149 on: Fri, 22 April 2011, 04:03:47 »
Good to hear, can't wait till I get mines. The texture of the keycaps from pictures always intrigued me, part of the reason I wanted to try it out.
Leopold FC200RC/AB
Noppoo Choc Mini
TG3 Data911
Cherry G80-8113LRCUS
IBM Model M 1391401
SIIG Minitouch 1903
Dell AT101W GYUM90SK

Image Gallery