Author Topic: [IC] Teton 78 - 68XT Update 4/26  (Read 6032 times)

Offline Bennettb

[IC] Teton 78 - 68XT Update 4/26
« on: Wed, 26 April 2023, 18:43:35 »

Teton 78 - 68 XT
Hello!

I am Bennettb! After over a year in the design process, I am thrilled to present my first project, the Teton 78! A 68 XT. :)

The goal of this keyboard was to create a simple, classic keyboard with a unique layout. Because of this, I went with a classic top-mounted board with no foam and a simple relatively clean side profile. This board has been in the works for over a year now and I am very excited to present it to you! Please read through the IC and at the bottom, if you would like, fill out the form! All feedback is greatly appreciated! Thank you! :). - Please check out my discord for updates. Link Below.

Design Details:

This design is based on the Tetons, a mountain range of the Rocky Mountains in Grand Teton National Park. I tried to emulate the smooth and sharp peaks of the range through my design! The most obvious design feature is the weight following the outline of the mountains.

Note the weight pictured is not sandblasted, only clear coated. The final version will either be sandblasted or polished.

Basic Info:

- Layout: 68 XT
        - Mounting: Top Mount and Top Burger Mount
        - Typing Angle: 6.5 degrees
        - Front Height: 16.61mm
        - EKH: 21.31 (Pictured below if you're interested)
        - Case: 6063 Aluminum Sandblasted and Anodized
        - Weight: Brass Sandblasted + Clear Coat (Not sandblasted pictured)
        - PCB: Solder 1.6mm using S1 UDB | QMK and VIA support *Updated solder with more compatibility, created a hotswap PCB. Working on order as of 4/5/2024 Ordered
        - Weight: ~2.2 kg or 4.85 lbs built (not entirely accurate, need to get a better scale)
        - Plates: Brass and Aluminium
        - SKUF Feet
        - Sales Format: Group Buy
        - Units: 30 MOQ
        - Vendors: Me

Keyboard Height Details:

Exploded View:

An exploded view for a better understanding of how the board is put together:

PCB Layout:

This is the current planned layout, please let me know in the IC if you are interested in an ISO layout, 6.25u bottom row support, or anything else you may want. Thanks! :) (1.25-1.25-1.25-6.25-1.25-1.25-1 support added + stepped caps)

Price:

The goal for this project at an MOQ of 100 MOQ of 30 (If there is more interest maybe 50) is $375 Update: will likely be cheaper, MOQ is 30

Colors:

I would like to have a two-tone design, but the colors I am not sure of yet. For the prototype, I have Light Blue and Silver which I love! Colors I am thinking for the Group Buy:

- Top Color/Bottom Color (Format)
        - Light Blue/Silver
        - Lavender/Silver*

Please fill out the IC and let me know what colors you want! If you want a one-tone option or even a raw option please let me know as well! :)
        *Will likely order the third proto in this color. Update: In process of getting quotes.
Update: Ordered proto type #3!!!

IC Link!: https://forms.gle/1QzRodqGsNPGy87j6
Discord Link:https://discord.gg/nm7m3pAu
Note I will be updating the discord as I get more people. It is in its very early stages.

Change Log:

Proto #1 (3D Print) Changelog
       - Changed screws from internal to the bottom.
       - Changed front chamfer.
       - Modified filets for a more ‘sharp’ look

PCB #1
       - Changed from 1.2 mm PCB to 1.6mm
       - Removed screw cuts because of screw placement change.

Proto #2 (Pictured) - Done
       - Changing the plate mounts to be a bit wider.
       - Changed the case screw head diameter to allow for a better fit.
       - Changed foot placement because of the screw head change.
       - Tightened Tolerances
       - Maybe fewer screws for weight?
       - Any other changes that might result from IC...
       - Slight shorting issue with the bottom case because of the flex. Because you don't notice it when typing, I would rather just put a layer in between. Right now I have masking tape on the bottom case and there are no issues whatsoever.

PCB #2
       - Currently happy with the PCB, might need to change some layout support depending on the IC.

The Third Proto is Coming soon - Getting quotes as of 4/5/2024 Ordered as of 4/26/2024

Current typing notes:
       - Currently, I am very pleased with how it sounds! I have it built with an aluminum plate and gateron cap yellow v2s L+F. It is slightly clacky right now with my current build configuration. In terms of flex, it is actually very good. There are only 5 mounting points leading to a pretty comfortable typing experience. Of course, I am biased, but I will be posting a sound test soon!  :)
       - It sounds like I am reviewing coffee haha! :))  ^
« Last Edit: Mon, 29 April 2024, 14:29:16 by Bennettb »

Offline Alva_Works

Re: [IC] Teton 78 - 68XT
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 27 April 2023, 05:20:56 »
So interested on this proyect :eek:

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 27 April 2023, 09:41:22 »
Would be interested in seeing 1.25 - 1.25 - 1.25 - 7 - 1.5 - 1.5 bottom row layout.

Offline Bennettb

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 27 April 2023, 19:25:04 »
So interested on this proyect :eek:

Thank you for the kind words!

Offline Bennettb

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 27 April 2023, 19:27:25 »
Would be interested in seeing 1.25 - 1.25 - 1.25 - 7 - 1.5 - 1.5 bottom row layout.

I have seen a few people wanting this and 6.25u support, I am going to work on the pcb to see what makes the most sense! Maybe 2 pcb options, I will update as I work more. Thanks! :)

Offline Bennettb

Re: [IC] Teton 78 - 68XT Update
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 05 April 2024, 19:07:29 »
Quick update, very sorry for the delay. I have been very busy in my personal life and did not have time to commit to the group buy in the way I wanted. As of 4/5/2024 I am back on track and working on getting another prototype and also a hot-swap PCB prototype. Please join the discord for more frequent updates if you are interested in this project.

Offline Bennettb

Re: [IC] Teton 78 - 68XT Update 4/26
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 27 April 2024, 00:28:52 »
Update 4/26/2024 Proto #3 ordered! If you are interested in the project please join the discord. Group buy in a few months hopefully!