Author Topic: Gaming mousepads!  (Read 284854 times)

Offline hfcobra

Gaming mousepads!
« on: Sun, 06 February 2011, 22:22:15 »
So what do you use and why?   What else have you used in the past and what was wrong with that?

I dont have a mousepad at the moment but i ordered an Artisan Kai 3G yesterday and if anyone else has used one i would love some input especially about that mousepad!
Own/Love: REɅLFORCE 87UB EK Edition 45g

Have owned/used: Realforce 103-UB, XArmor U9BL, Filco Majestouch 104-key with Cherry MX Blues, Browns, and Reds, Steelseries 6gv2, Leopold with Browns

Offline chel-

Gaming mousepads!
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 06 February 2011, 22:30:58 »
Im using a razer mantis speed. I dont think they even make them anymore but I'm assuming that the razer goliathus is pretty much the same thing. I plan on picking one up within the next week to replace my aged mantis, so I'll post back once I try it out.

The most popular brands of mouse pads for gaming are razer, steelseries, and roccat. Also everglide used to be fairly popular but I havent heard of many people using them anymore.
« Last Edit: Sun, 06 February 2011, 22:33:26 by chel- »

Offline hfcobra

Gaming mousepads!
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 06 February 2011, 22:41:00 »
what kind of mousepad is that anyways?  hard or soft?   I hear that soft are better so your feet dont wear down and they have better tracking, but arent as smooth.  The new Kai 3G is the smoothest of the soft mousepads though and also on a whole new level for soft pads from what i have heard.  I am really looking forward to it getting here!

Have owned/used: Realforce 103-UB, XArmor U9BL, Filco Majestouch 104-key with Cherry MX Blues, Browns, and Reds, Steelseries 6gv2, Leopold with Browns

Offline chel-

Gaming mousepads!
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 06 February 2011, 22:48:23 »
Quote from: hfcobra;291051
what kind of mousepad is that anyways?  hard or soft?   I hear that soft are better so your feet dont wear down and they have better tracking, but arent as smooth.  The new Kai 3G is the smoothest of the soft mousepads though and also on a whole new level for soft pads from what i have heard.  I am really looking forward to it getting here!

Its a cloth pad and speed means that the surface is smoother than the control counterpart (as far as I know). Razer markets its cloth pads as either speed or control. I've never used a control pad so I have no idea what the difference is. Its a smooth pad..I cant really imagine anything smoother, or why it would make a difference but it depends what kind of gaming your doing I suppose.

Offline Azuremen

Gaming mousepads!
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 06 February 2011, 23:47:28 »
I just use some large (13.5 inches square) generic soft mouse pad I picked up at Office Depot. Just some fabric over foam, works great and is comfortable for me to rest my wrist on since I kind of hold my mouse in a weird way. Some review said it doesn't work with Laser mice, but my G9x has had no issues with it.

I've always liked my surfaces to have some resistance to them as well. A lot of hard surfaces are almost too slick and the mouse will just move too easily for my taste.
Filco Tenkeyless Tactile Click ~ Kinesis Professional ~ White label Model M ~ DX HHKB Killer
Mionix Naos 5000 ~ Logitech Mx518
Flickr

Offline hfcobra

Gaming mousepads!
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 07 February 2011, 00:02:28 »
alright, well that just assures me that the artisan kai is a good choice for a mousepad!  BTW, if anyone is looking for a new mousepad these are supposed to be the best soft mousepads around and they are on sale right now for $10 but you have to import them from japan so final price is something more like $20-$25, still a great deal!

Offline verbel

Gaming mousepads!
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 07 February 2011, 01:21:11 »
I currently have a ratpadz and one of the razer goliath ones. For a surface I like the ratpadz better, but I got the razer one because I wanted the size. I got the extended on that is 920 x 294 x 4.3 mm and I like it quite a bit.

Offline manfaux

Gaming mousepads!
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 07 February 2011, 02:52:16 »
I'm on a Qck Mass right now, it's extremely comfortable to rest my wrist on :)

I used to use hard pads (razer exactmat, ss S&S, ss SX to name a few) with one of those foam wrist rests. Plastic and aluminum pad still track better(for certain mice) and provide a better gliding feel than soft cloth mats like the Qck, but now I don't game nearly as much and I really don't care, I just went with whatever decent pad that has the most comfortable cushion.

Offline sawedust

• Zealot Chef
Gaming mousepads!
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 07 February 2011, 04:52:45 »
I use a SteelSeries QCK.

Heard a lot of good stuff about them, so I bought one from Amazon.  They're nicely priced at around $10~ or so which is quite reasonable for such a large mousepad with great quality.

It's a soft cloth pad, which works quite well with my Razer DeathAdder.  The mouse just glides right across the surface.  I absolutely love the combination.
find me on twitter: @sawedust
starcraft 2 related blog: QuanticSawe.851
QuanticGaming.com

Offline db_Iodine

Gaming mousepads!
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 07 February 2011, 05:25:43 »
I used a Steelseries Qck until I recently purchased the Hien Kai G3 both hard and soft pads. I prefer both of them over my old Qck.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline RiGS

Gaming mousepads!
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 07 February 2011, 07:36:30 »
I use a Roccat Taito. This is a good quality clothpad and very very smooth. Imo much better than the razer goliathus speed mousepad.(bigger,cheaper, more smooth and more durable)
Last edited by RiGS; Jan 2011

Offline Jerri

Gaming mousepads!
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 07 February 2011, 09:59:03 »
I have a Razer Ironclad. On top i use a Lachesis 5600DPI with Soft Mousefeet.
I really like that, because it's very smooth motionwise and it has sort of a anti acceleration (i use activated mouse acceleration). That fits my mouse movement very well. It's very hard, too, so i think it won't easily wear down.

With my predecessor pad (had the razer vespula before, used the control surface), i was very disappointed, because it had heavy wear down after ~3weeks; the pad before the vespula was fine, that was an everglide ricochet, i had that for 5 years.

But the ironclad is the best i ever had!

My summary is something like that:
-laser mouse
-soft feet
-hard pad
-mouse acceleration activated
-very low sensitivity

Jerri
You can take the man out of the 80's, but you can't take the 80's out of the man.

Offline Salash

Gaming mousepads!
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 07 February 2011, 11:12:39 »
I use a Razer Vespula. It is double sided, one side smooth for speed and one side a little rougher for control. I use the control side for Starcraft 2 and the speed side for team fortress 2. Do note that it is a hard pad and probably wears down my mouse sliders, though it has yet to cause me any problems.

http://store.razerzone.com/store/razerusa/en_US/pd/productID.173893100

I find the wrist rest great for my pivot point while playing Starcraft 2, though I know it isn't ergonomically appropriate.

Offline phillip

Gaming mousepads!
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 07 February 2011, 11:12:53 »
currently using an artisan kai g3 hien hard at home and a steelseries qck at work.  i also have a soft version of the artisan pad that i'm not using.

previous mousepads (in order of use):
func f10.s
x-trac hammer
steelseries qck heavy
steelseries qck+
xtrac ripper
func 1030

Offline CeeSA

Gaming mousepads!
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 07 February 2011, 12:03:49 »
i'm a low sense gamer and prefer big cloth pad.
the best laying on my desktop until now is
Puretrak Talent
trying a dozen other cloth pads...
razer qpad and so on ...
a few are good but could no mess with the Talent.
Gliding is awesome and my mouses all working great.
i only wish the would produce more different skins

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
Gaming mousepads!
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 07 February 2011, 14:07:02 »
I currently use 5 fabric mouse pads and 3 plastic ones.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
Gaming mousepads!
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 07 February 2011, 14:41:40 »
Mousepads? I never need them.  I prefer trackball mice anyways, even for gaming.  The IBM TrackPoint L40 works well for playing COD5 and Black Ops...
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
Gaming mousepads!
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 07 February 2011, 15:53:38 »

I thought you loved mousepads!
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline speakeasy

Gaming mousepads!
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 07 February 2011, 17:18:56 »
I haven't used a mousepad since optical mice came out...

I've got a Razer Abyssus in the mail though, and I'd love to try out of the Grow Up Japan mousepads that a bunch of people here seem to like, but all of the soft pads on their site are out of stock.
[sigpic][/sigpic]
PiaNoppoo Choc Mini 茶轴

PUNCH THE KEYS FOR GOD\'S SAKE!

Offline Arc'xer

Gaming mousepads!
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 07 February 2011, 18:05:01 »
Quote from: speakeasy;291449
I haven't used a mousepad since optical mice came out...

I've got a Razer Abyssus in the mail though, and I'd love to try out of the Grow Up Japan mousepads that a bunch of people here seem to like, but all of the soft pads on their site are out of stock.

If I'm not mistaken they are planning on revision 2s to come out sometime mid-month or so.

Offline Lethal Squirrel

• I <3 60%
Gaming mousepads!
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 07 February 2011, 18:11:58 »
Xtracpads Ripper XXL
« Last Edit: Mon, 07 February 2011, 18:14:46 by Lethal Squirrel »

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
Gaming mousepads!
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 07 February 2011, 20:39:33 »
It's never a smart idea to name a fabric mouse pad, or quite frankly anything made of fabric, a "Ripper".

Offline Lethal Squirrel

• I <3 60%
Gaming mousepads!
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 07 February 2011, 20:57:50 »
xD I never thought of that

Offline hfcobra

Gaming mousepads!
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 07 February 2011, 21:03:28 »
you know....there is a point where it gets a little ridiculous when your mousepad can have your keyboard on it too and still have too much room for the mouse.  What are you, 8 feet tall and play with 100DPI?   :P

Offline Lethal Squirrel

• I <3 60%
Gaming mousepads!
« Reply #24 on: Mon, 07 February 2011, 21:41:27 »
The only reason I got this is because it was annoying having my keyboard half way on my mouse pad because my desk is so small.  and this makes makes it so the sound of my keyboard doesn't resonate through my desk so much, and doesn't slide around.

Offline hfcobra

Gaming mousepads!
« Reply #25 on: Mon, 07 February 2011, 21:43:33 »
gotcha!  well it is just enormous   :P

Offline J888www

Gaming mousepads!
« Reply #26 on: Tue, 08 February 2011, 15:45:27 »
Have two Artisan Kai 3G Blue Hard surface, the surface still have a slight "give" when pressed, but it is not spongie. They retired my two FUNC Custom Archetype MBAs (great tracking but too "scratchy").
Your preferences may differ, so I can only say "I like them, very much", I can not say the same same on your behalf.
Often outspoken, please forgive any cause for offense.
Thank you all in GH for reading.

Keyboards & Pointing Devices :-
[/FONT]One Too Many[/COLOR]

Offline speakeasy

Gaming mousepads!
« Reply #27 on: Tue, 08 February 2011, 16:25:09 »
Quote from: Arc'xer;291465
If I'm not mistaken they are planning on revision 2s to come out sometime mid-month or so.

Thanks, confirmed via google, good info to know. Almost bought a Steelseries QcK mini :)
[sigpic][/sigpic]
PiaNoppoo Choc Mini 茶轴

PUNCH THE KEYS FOR GOD\'S SAKE!

Offline Shuki

Gaming mousepads!
« Reply #28 on: Tue, 08 February 2011, 17:19:54 »
Quote from: CeeSA;291288
i'm a low sense gamer

Don't be so hard on yourself.

Offline Arc'xer

Gaming mousepads!
« Reply #29 on: Tue, 08 February 2011, 17:29:11 »
Quote from: speakeasy;291948
Thanks, confirmed via google, good info to know. Almost bought a Steelseries QcK mini :)

Yeah, I ran into the OCN post by skylit describing a few changes.

They also plan on releasing a glass pad not sure if it's like the icemat(pure glass) or a cloth-glass derivative like their g2 with glass beads. It's called the Shiden and is being offered up to a large 42cm x 32cm x 0.3cm. Either way it's going to last until it breaks because the only hard pad(or for that matter any type of mouse pad) that doesn't wear in some way, shape or form; unless you break it or scratch it is the glass pads like the magna and I-1/2.

Hard to find info maybe I'm putting in the wrong words, can't seem to find much.
« Last Edit: Tue, 08 February 2011, 17:32:45 by Arc'xer »

Offline hfcobra

Gaming mousepads!
« Reply #30 on: Tue, 08 February 2011, 18:55:46 »
the shiden looks like its basically the hard g3 but it requires a little less initial motion and the tracking is just a little bit worse   :P  

any idea one how much this will cost?

Offline BababooeyHTJ

Gaming mousepads!
« Reply #31 on: Tue, 08 February 2011, 19:48:02 »
I love my QCK+. It's big, comfortable and does the job.

Offline hfcobra

Gaming mousepads!
« Reply #32 on: Tue, 08 February 2011, 22:20:09 »
alright, i got a steelseries 9HD in the mail today and i have to say it is very easy to move my mouse on and i really like it!   waiting for the arisan kai still.  Should be here either friday or monday next week!  I still dont know which one i will like more, i may not be able to decide, who knows? lol

Offline db_Iodine

Gaming mousepads!
« Reply #33 on: Wed, 09 February 2011, 01:58:47 »
I bet you're going to love those high tech high class Japanese mouse pads.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline Shuki

Gaming mousepads!
« Reply #34 on: Wed, 09 February 2011, 06:53:20 »
I've got the soft artisan kai g3 and it is indeed a very fast pad and is well made. The foam claims to have some special technology to prevent it from being uneven like other mousepads which just use standard rubber. However it feels like the cheap foam you get on standard cheap mousepads tbh, however that doesn't really have any impact on performance except that it feels quite fragile and you can't fold it even though it's a soft pad. Theoretically this foam is supposed to eliminate any unevenness on the surface, and I do not notice any unevenness. I also don't really feel any unevenness on any other mousepad I use so it isn't really a concern for me.

All in all it's a nice pad, it has a nice surface, the edges are stitched, it comes in a decent size (the large one at least). However to my personal tastes the pad is actually a bit too fast, and I prefer a slower pad as I feel it gives me better precision.

A day or two after using this pad I switched back to my Puretrak Talent.
« Last Edit: Wed, 09 February 2011, 07:11:25 by Shuki »

Offline J888www

Gaming mousepads!
« Reply #35 on: Wed, 09 February 2011, 08:09:31 »
If your mouse is too fast, go and implement the Mouse software in the Control Panel ?
A mouse pad cannot be fast, it does not have any motion,  it can only have less or more friction when in contact with a Mouse.
« Last Edit: Wed, 09 February 2011, 08:13:54 by J888www »
Often outspoken, please forgive any cause for offense.
Thank you all in GH for reading.

Keyboards & Pointing Devices :-
[/FONT]One Too Many[/COLOR]

Offline hfcobra

Gaming mousepads!
« Reply #36 on: Wed, 09 February 2011, 12:37:12 »
i think he means there isnt enough friction   :P

Offline Mercen_505

Gaming mousepads!
« Reply #37 on: Wed, 09 February 2011, 13:26:19 »
I'm using a medium-sized Razer Goliathus (control). No complaints... so much so that I have one at home as well as the office.

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
Gaming mousepads!
« Reply #38 on: Wed, 09 February 2011, 13:40:11 »
The whole "Gaming mouse pad" thing's a big ripoff. There really isn't much difference between those "Gaming" mouse pads and any old fabric mouse pad they give you for free at a business expo.

Offline hfcobra

Gaming mousepads!
« Reply #39 on: Wed, 09 February 2011, 13:41:45 »
i would have to disagree.  The 9HD is not even made of fabric and the artisan kai does not absorb liquid at all because of the higher quality make and it is a cloth pad.

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
Gaming mousepads!
« Reply #40 on: Wed, 09 February 2011, 13:42:07 »
Quote from: microsoft windows;292391
The whole "Gaming mouse pad" thing's a big ripoff. There really isn't much difference between those "Gaming" mouse pads and any old fabric mouse pad they give you for free at a business expo.

Like you would know, you can't game using Windows 3.1...
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline Lethal Squirrel

• I <3 60%
Gaming mousepads!
« Reply #41 on: Wed, 09 February 2011, 13:48:04 »
Quote from: ripster;292380
Super XXL FTW!!!!

Hellz yeah! I agree with ripster

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
Gaming mousepads!
« Reply #42 on: Wed, 09 February 2011, 13:51:19 »
Quote from: Computer-Lab in Basement;292393
Quote from: Microsoft Windows
Like you would know, you can't game using Windows 3.1...

Any good mouse pad should work just fine on a fabric mouse pad.

It's stupid to make fun of somebody for spending his money on things more important than mouse pads.

Offline itlnstln

Gaming mousepads!
« Reply #43 on: Wed, 09 February 2011, 13:54:15 »
Quote from: ripster;292380
I still can't get over Geekhackers  using that open net drawer liner to hold their keyboards - So Ghetto!  This you just shake off the crumbs and wipe off the spooge with a sponge.

Rubber feet don't grip laminate cubicle desks like shelf liner.  Glass or real wood isn't a problem, though.

Offline hfcobra

Gaming mousepads!
« Reply #44 on: Wed, 09 February 2011, 13:55:22 »
Quote from: Lethal Squirrel;292400
Hellz yeah! I agree with ripster

that mousepad is just ridiculously big  :P   I never thought they came is sizes this large until I made this thread lol

They seem to be popular though so who am I to judge?

Offline aynjell

Gaming mousepads!
« Reply #45 on: Wed, 09 February 2011, 14:41:34 »
Presently the Razer Goliathus. However once I get my new desk sometime in the next month or two, I'll be buying an Xtrac Ripper XXL.
Das Keyboard Professional -mx blue- @ Work
Das Keyboard S Ultimate Silent -mx brown- @ Home

Do not fart in the same room as a dark brother or sister, to do so is to invoke the wrath of Sithis...

Offline Mercen_505

Gaming mousepads!
« Reply #46 on: Wed, 09 February 2011, 14:52:56 »

This is not necessarily the case. Although I have no concrete empirical evidence to back up my assertion, I can say that after experimenting with different surfaces over several days, my current mousepad significantly improves my accuracy, both while gaming and doing more menial work inside the OS's GUI. Using the Goliathus, I immediately noticed significantly better vertical tracking than using other surfaces... keep in mind mine is rotated 90 degrees, so that would translate to better horizontal tracking for most people.

That aside, a regular old cloth lined mousepad will serve 99% of people well, but the nice thing about gaming pads is you have options. As to whether the performance justifies the price, that's subjective.

Offline Shuki

Gaming mousepads!
« Reply #47 on: Wed, 09 February 2011, 17:56:08 »

Very true. Some people even buy a mechanical keyboard even though there is no difference between that and a regular keyboard (I mean they all have the same keys right?).

Offline aynjell

Gaming mousepads!
« Reply #48 on: Wed, 09 February 2011, 18:27:32 »
Quote from: Mercen_505;292458
This is not necessarily the case. Although I have no concrete empirical evidence to back up my assertion, I can say that after experimenting with different surfaces over several days, my current mousepad significantly improves my accuracy, both while gaming and doing more menial work inside the OS's GUI. Using the Goliathus, I immediately noticed significantly better vertical tracking than using other surfaces... keep in mind mine is rotated 90 degrees, so that would translate to better horizontal tracking for most people.

That aside, a regular old cloth lined mousepad will serve 99% of people well, but the nice thing about gaming pads is you have options. As to whether the performance justifies the price, that's subjective.

I can offer empirical evidence in a way. My mouse pad specifically, is very different from those cloth pads you receive from electronic expos, which typically are smaller than a sheet of paper, feature branding from some company you don't care about but will inadvertently endorse for the remainder of it's use, and feature a bland texture. As I stated in my prior post, I own and use the Razer Goliathus mouse pad, specifically the alpha control version which has a texture and surface not unlike a sports jersey, but more clothy and less nylon-y. The texture is unlike any other pad I've used.

Sure these textures may not offer a performance improvement for your conventional mouse, or even performance mice but it may be that certain types of surfaces are easier to track for different types of sensor equipment. I don't know and don't care to know as this is beyond my desire of understanding. More important to me is the relationship between the mouse and pad texture wise, how it glides, how my hand rubs against it, how easy it is to stop and start moving, whether or not it'll outlast the mouse, etc.

Your statement is not unlike saying "all mechanical keyboards are the same". We know that this is the farthest from the truth. You can't even say "all cherry blue based boards are the same" without getting laughed off these boards, and that's a degree more specific and believable. I would say given today's sensor tech, any mouse pad would do for the sensor, but for the hand, and the feedback, it becomes a very personal affair.
Das Keyboard Professional -mx blue- @ Work
Das Keyboard S Ultimate Silent -mx brown- @ Home

Do not fart in the same room as a dark brother or sister, to do so is to invoke the wrath of Sithis...

Offline tash

Gaming mousepads!
« Reply #49 on: Wed, 09 February 2011, 21:04:00 »
MOUSEPADS? wth
what's next? golden usb cable?
ohh wait...

if you can sell it, somebody will buy it (at least make a nice package)
by putting the word "gamer" on something, it becomes gold
« Last Edit: Wed, 09 February 2011, 21:08:13 by tash »