Author Topic: [IC] Aqua F-rowless TKL || Now with estimated pricing and final weight design!  (Read 4921 times)

Offline SUB01

Have you ever procrastinated so hard that you made an entirely new keyboard, while trying to finish a keyboard?

Well I'm only half joking, here is my second keyboard design I would like to share with you all:

Aqua F-rowless TKL

More renders of different colors and angles can be found here: https://ellipse-antelope-7c7s.squarespace.com/keyboardcatalog/aqua-f-rowless-tkl
Password:keyboards
https://imgur.com/a/nJ25vvd
Some of the renders might be a bit outdated, the design now uses an unified daughterboard on the right side.

Inspiration and Design:
I wanted to make a flowing water-themed keyboard, so I spent a long time trying to experiment with different corner designs and symmetries trying to make metal resemble water flowing over the edge. After a while, I finally arrived at this design. The bottom carries over the flowing corners from above but I tried to do something different with the feet by having it resemble a canyon with a river cutting through the middle.

So yeah, I don't want to make this too long, but I have one really important note:I WOULD LIKE TO COLLABORATE WITH SOMEONE THAT CAN DESIGN AND PROTOTYPE A PCB FOR THIS BOARD.I don't know enough about pcb manufacturing and prototyping to feel comfortable trying to do this alone. If you are interested, please reach out to me, we can work out something together. Once a pcb prototype is ready I will make at least one prototype, and if there is enough interest I will start a small private run where people can contact me if they want to join. I don't want to take on too much at once and not be able to deliver properly. If you are a vendor, please leave a note if you would be ok with taking orders for this board too, I want to be as transparent and honest as possible.

Please take this strawpoll:
https://www.strawpoll.me/45589374/

Specs:
5 degree typing angle
frowless TKL
gasket mount
CNC aluminum with either aluminum or brass weight

Notes:
Are the feet uneven?: No, every part of the keyboard that contacts the desk is flat at 5 degrees.
Will the keyboard be unstable?: No, the feet run along the entire length of the top and bottom.
Will X layout be supported?: I'm not sure, maybe during an actual run, but right now I'm just trying to make it as simple as possible to prevent mistakes along the way.
Estimated price?: I know the prototype pricing for 1 is around 1k, but I would need to know how many I'm making for a better estimate.
Does it use unified daughterboard?: yes

Questions:
What colors would you guys be interested in?
Would you guys also like a brass weight option?

I'm thinking of making something like brass bottom for a single run only:

but it would probably be super expensive. Would that be something you would be interested in?

Reddit:
https://old.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/p7uynt/ic_aqua_frowless_tkl/?

Update 1:
Am working on possible additional weight designs

Update 2 8/25/2021 (also below):
Hello guys, this is probably going to be the last update before I order prototypes from the factory.

This means that the final weight design is done which is attached below:

more renders https://imgur.com/a/85it10a

I also have a quote from the factory, and after seeing the quote I think I'm going to aim for 50 boards if I can't get vendors on board. If it does get popular I will think about running it again.

Please fill out this form if you are interested in this board:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSd3T_QgJI29Irx9yaC8kREZKi514abKdY3_BDp14Bt7ZZhUIw/viewform?usp=sf_link

This is the estimated pricing and configs I'm going to offer unless something unexpected happens in the form above:
Board colors: Navy or Dark Red (If you are curious about the red, I'm going to try to match it to the ones in the renders above)
Weight option: only the wave weight option as shown in this post, as I think it's going to be more popular.

Either color is going to cost about 550~600 if we reach 50 boards. If we do get to more boards with more vendors, it's probably going to be closer to 500.

Additional plate 80
additional pcb 40~50

If e white/e black ends up being more popular, I will eat the cost difference between anodization and the electrophoresis process, at least for the first run.

« Last Edit: Wed, 25 August 2021, 06:48:27 by SUB01 »

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Typing on: Brutal60, Lavenders Linears, GMK Jamon
Re: [IC] Aqua F-rowless TKL
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 19 August 2021, 23:29:14 »
That Squarespace link is behind a password

Edit: apparently the password is listed in the post body... why though?
« Last Edit: Fri, 20 August 2021, 11:56:14 by _rubik »
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline Slayer77

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 19 August 2021, 23:33:29 »
Just add the imgur link instead of the password protected link.

Sent from my GM1911 using Tapatalk

Offline SUB01

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 19 August 2021, 23:37:30 »
I added an Imgur link but the password is right there guys ;-;

Offline doggo1dance

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 20 August 2021, 03:03:01 »
I added an Imgur link but the password is right there guys ;-;

apparently people cant read

Offline SUB01

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 20 August 2021, 04:57:53 »
I made an updated weight design what do you think? Still wip

I feel like I still like the original blue stripe but people seemed to want a bit more flair on the back so here it is.

Offline VXQN

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 20 August 2021, 05:18:35 »
Looks like you have no inner fillets on the top piece.

Offline SUB01

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 20 August 2021, 06:59:16 »
Yeah its a wip, I just changed it so that the lowest part of the weight sits flush with the base.

Offline MIGHTY CHICKEN

• buck buck, cluck cluck, squawk squawk
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 20 August 2021, 12:36:59 »
Interesting design, but I would at least finish the design in terms of if it were to be made, it would be usable as well as get some basic quotes from some manus for an estimated cost.

Offline tarokeebs

• TMOv2r2 || Kikuichimonji
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 20 August 2021, 14:25:08 »
the updated weight design is pretty cool, you should talk to some manufacturers and get a price estimate

collection: tmov2 | kikuichimonji

Offline SUB01

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 25 August 2021, 06:18:58 »
Hello guys, this is probably going to be the last update before I order prototypes from the factory.

This means that the final weight design is done which is attached below:

more renders https://imgur.com/a/85it10a

I also have a quote from the factory, and after seeing the quote I think I'm going to aim for 50 boards if I can't get vendors on board. If it does get popular I will think about running it again.

Please fill out this form if you are interested in this board:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSd3T_QgJI29Irx9yaC8kREZKi514abKdY3_BDp14Bt7ZZhUIw/viewform?usp=sf_link

This is the estimated pricing and configs I'm going to offer unless something unexpected happens in the form above:
Board colors: Navy or Dark Red (If you are curious about the red, I'm going to try to match it to the ones in the renders above)
Weight option: only the wave weight option as shown in this post, as I think it's going to be more popular.

Either color is going to cost about 550~600 if we reach 50 boards. This is a conservative estimate because I still have to contact the pcb/gasket factory. If we do get to more boards with more vendors, it's probably going to be closer to 500.

Additional plate 80
additional pcb 40~50

If e white/e black ends up being more popular, I will eat the cost difference between anodization and the electrophoresis process, at least for the first run.
Also after some deliberation I decided that this board is going to be 6.25u spacebar, and the plate will be changed.

Ah I accidentally pressed the submit button -_- please weight(heh) an hour or two until I'm done thanks!
« Last Edit: Wed, 25 August 2021, 09:53:22 by SUB01 »

Offline SUB01

Sorry about that if you came too early. It should be up and running now.