Author Topic: Key Size In Ducky Shine 2 vs Razer BlackWidow?  (Read 3420 times)

Offline DuckNorris

Key Size In Ducky Shine 2 vs Razer BlackWidow?
« on: Fri, 28 June 2013, 00:55:42 »
Hello There,

I have a question today regarding key sizes on certain keyboards. I am currently leaning for my 3rd mechanical keyboard and I am very interested in the Ducky Shine 2. However, due to a previous purchase when I bought a Corsair K70, I realized something odd, the keys in the K70 felt smaller to me in size, and it was hard for me to type on it (also the space bar was small). I wasn't sure if other keyboards were like this. I currently like the size keys in my Razer Black Widow, and was wondering if those of you with a Ducky Shine 2, have ever tried a black widow and saw that the keys were same sizes?

This may sound like an odd question but ever since that K70 that felt smaller to me, I have been keeping that in mind regarding keys.

Thank you for your time!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Key Size In Ducky Shine 2 vs Razer BlackWidow?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 28 June 2013, 00:57:55 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Both my Ducky Shines have "standard" sized keycaps.

99% of Cherry MX keyboards would also have standard sized keycaps.

Perhaps the K70 keycaps were more tapered at the top, so the finger area was less?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline DuckNorris

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 28 June 2013, 01:08:41 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Both my Ducky Shines have "standard" sized keycaps.

99% of Cherry MX keyboards would also have standard sized keycaps.

Perhaps the K70 keycaps were more tapered at the top, so the finger area was less?
Thanks!

Yeah it did felt that way indeed, and to me it was extremely awkward to type on that keyboard ,had to return it. So I was wondering if the Ducky Shine are tapered or not. I really hope not since I really want to buy one. I have a lot of finger area on that Razer BlackWidow, why I like it. However, I want to try the quality on the Ducky Shine and different led modes it has and customizations.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 28 June 2013, 01:22:21 »
General consensus is that the Ducky has a much higher quality than the BWU.

You can always replace the keycaps, BYW, Ducky or otherwise :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 28 June 2013, 01:39:38 »
Ducky has standard key sizing.

As rowdy mentioned you can always replace your keycaps, however on the Black Widow it uses weird bottom modifiers/spacebar, and another thing to note is that the F-row spacing is compressed. BWU is far from standard
I love Elzy

Offline ksm123

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 28 June 2013, 03:44:04 »
Razer BW modifiers are not wreid, there are pretty standard:

1,5 Ctrl
1 WinKey
1,5 Alt
6,25 Space (I'm not sure of this one)
1,5 AltGr
1 Fn
1 Menu
1,5 Ctrl

I'm managed to use 20+ years old keycaps on BW (minus Space, Enter, BackSlash/Pipe and narrow x1 modifiers)

Offline Topre

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 28 June 2013, 03:50:16 »
Razer BW modifiers are not wreid, there are pretty standard:

1,5 Ctrl
1 WinKey
1,5 Alt
6,25 Space (I'm not sure of this one)
1,5 AltGr
1 Fn
1 Menu
1,5 Ctrl

I'm managed to use 20+ years old keycaps on BW (minus Space, Enter, BackSlash/Pipe and narrow x1 modifiers)

The spacebar is 6x on the BlackWidow.

Offline DuckNorris

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 28 June 2013, 21:43:47 »
Thanks plenty for your input guys, I guess I might go ahead and purchase the ducky shine 2 and hopefully it is comfortable to type in.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 28 June 2013, 23:54:03 »
Thanks plenty for your input guys, I guess I might go ahead and purchase the ducky shine 2 and hopefully it is comfortable to type in.

Or if you are not in a particular hurry, maybe wait for a Shine 3.

Offline DuckNorris

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 07:23:29 »

Or if you are not in a particular hurry, maybe wait for a Shine 3.

Oh wow, thanks a lot for the heads up . I will wait for the Shine 3 instead. Also though, anyone knows a estimate of when it will  be released for purchase?

Offline nightsnack

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 30 June 2013, 05:06:30 »
It'll probably be August if you are in the US. Taiwan should be slightly earlier.