Author Topic: Second keyboard (Well, third..)  (Read 1601 times)

Offline mickd

Second keyboard (Well, third..)
« on: Tue, 21 February 2012, 23:08:33 »
I'm thinking about getting another mechanical keyboard but there's just so many to choose from hehe.

Currently I have 2 Filco Majestouch 1 full size keyboards (one with blue and one with brown switches). Both of them are standard black.

I started off using the blues for a day or 2 but in the end settled with the browns. What would you guys recommend? What I'm kind of thinking about is a TKL pink keyboard hehe. Any recommendations in that direction would be nice (or any in general with any switch types). Any general trend that people take when purchasing their second/third mechanical keyboards?

Ta!

Offline whiteduck

« Reply #1 on: Wed, 22 February 2012, 00:08:17 »
my 3rd was a leopold otaku white tkl hehe
^.^
-wd

Offline eth0s

• Peace & Love
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 22 February 2012, 00:55:07 »
Well my first bit of advice would be to get something different than what you have now.  My second bit of advice would be to get a TKL-sized keyboard.  After that, the choice is up to you.  But if you have your eye on a pink TKL, then that is probably what you should get next.  If you have been thinking about it for longer than 2 days, and you still want that pink TKL, then get it.  You can always sell it, or get another one after that.  If you are at a loss for ideas, here are some keyboards to think about, in order of my recommendation:  Filco TKL, Leopold TKL, KBC Poker with PBT caps, KBT Race with LED keys, Realforce or other Topre board, IBM Model M, or other vintage IBM clicky keyboard, Cherry G80-1800 series (I like the G80-1865).   As for color, go for pink if you like it, otherwise consider white, which looks nice too.  Also, you might want to look for an interesting vintage keyboard, there are a lot to choose from.

As for switches, you said you tried blue and brown, so I would try red and/or black next.  I personally prefer red over black, but they are both good in their own way.  Although IMO, brown are the best overall.  However, if you come across an unusual switch, like Cherry MX Clears, then get that keyboard immediately.  I learned my lesson never to pass up something exotic and rare if you have the chance to buy it.
I ♥ Click Clack.  I ♥♥♥ Bro Caps.

Offline shogrran

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 22 February 2012, 04:30:23 »
buy all the boards!

If I were you I'd try a different switch. :D But then that's me and not you.

I feel its kind of pointless to buy two boards with the same switch type. So regardless of the board maker, I'd say get mxreds or alps if you want.
Razer Blackwidow Elite
CMStorm Quickfire Rapid
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline boredgunner

• GND-Tech
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 22 February 2012, 17:32:30 »
Definitely begin with a different switch.  Design your own on WASDkeyboards, perhaps?
Ducky Shine II TKL (Green LED, Cherry MX Red) | Leopold FC210TP (Cherry MX Blue)

Offline mickd

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 22 February 2012, 22:03:49 »
Thanks for the replies guys. Hmm hard choice indeed.

If possible I'm thinking of getting a cherry mx red TKL white or pink keyboard. I'll have a look around to see what I can find based on the current suggestions! Have to consider my limited options in Australia too, doh!

Offline mickd

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 23 February 2012, 07:02:08 »
Sad to see that it appears Filco doesn't make red switches any more!