Author Topic: Looking for a new keyboard, without knowledge of keyboards (!)  (Read 1735 times)

Offline Xpace

Looking for a new keyboard, without knowledge of keyboards (!)
« on: Wed, 22 February 2012, 13:55:40 »
Hey guys, new to these forums so I'm just gonna throw a quick intro. I've been lurking these forums for about three weeks now as I'm trying to find that keyboard. Yes, that keyboard. The keyboard that, once I buy and use, will fall in love with and I'll probably end up ordering two or three more for the future. The thing is, even after reading through this well-written WIKI about eight times, I'm finding myself more confused on getting that keyboard (whereas I was told I'd know more than most senior Geekhackers and 99% of the Overclockers.net mod team :\). So I thought I'd just jump on the proverbial noob bandwagon and ask you geekhack enthusiasts. Without further ado..

That keyboard will probably have:

- Standard layout, nothing else. And no ergonomic curving crap, which is a nightmare to type on.

- Macro/multimedia keys are a plus, can live with or without 'em. Something like the upper-right corner of this. I can do the same thing with AutoHotkey so it's not a big deal.

- Sensitive keys, requiring little or practically no effort to press down. From what I've read Cherry MX Red is the lightest, and I'm all for that, but I'm also good for Blue.

- Noise doesn't matter. I actually love the loud mechanical sound when I'm typing, loud or quiet is fine.

- Backlighting. Yes, it's purely aesthetic, but it's literally the only aesthetic thing I want.

- Durability. Would love it if I didn't have to break out the replacements I'm going to buy after a year or so. 2-3 years lifespan, or more if possible. Got a laptop for travels so it's not going to move around, ever.

- Easy to clean. Something that cloth and compressed air can clean. Glossy keys and such that leave tons of traces probably won't cut it. I do smoke once or twice per gaming session so...

- Pricing up to $200. Not looking for boutique keyboards, but if it's that keyboard, I'd consider it.

- Primarily for gaming.

I was looking at the Blackwidow but I hear it gets mad dirty fast, and the 6Gv2, but I'm not so sure. DAS Model-S Professional with backlighting would probably be that keyboard.
I don't intend to do any of this or any kind of modding for that matter, as I'd probably fail miserably and lose what's left of my nerd dignity after browsing these forums.

I'm using a brandless rubber-dome POS right now, so can someone here show me the light? Much appreciated!

Offline REVENGE

« Reply #1 on: Wed, 22 February 2012, 14:42:51 »
Welcome. You've got cash to blow. Here are your options:
Ducky Shine
Razer Blackwidow Ultimate

Disregard:
Qtronix / XArmor U9BL
Deck
Mionix Zibal

Unknown:
Max Keyboard Nighthawk (This one is interesting, not seeing a lot of chatter on it, but suspiciously resembles a Qtronix)

Anyways, I would go for a Shine if the BlackWidow is not your thing. The Nighthawk fits the bill on paper, but I haven't seen any info regarding OEM, controller, etc.
◕ ‿ ◕

Offline Xpace

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 22 February 2012, 16:22:14 »
Thanks for the replies! And yeah, the Blackwidow is definitely a widely popular and very talked about keyboard, and I was this close to buying it but I couldn't help seeing the fact that most people giving it props don't seem to know much about it ie. "I play a lot and I like it!", whereas those who found it lacking were more... eloquent?

The Ducky Shine looks as gorgeous, and it seems available in both Cherry Red/Blue. How is it in terms of durability?
This is definitely promising.

Edit:
Unfortunately unlike OCN I don't tell people what to buy. They have to figure it out for themselves. Sort of a Walter White socratic method of teaching.

Acknowledged. But could you throw some suggestions this way? If you really are the #1 expert on keyboards ;)

Offline Henry Allen Venture

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 22 February 2012, 20:14:14 »
Seconding (third-ing?) the Ducky Shining. I'm very happy with mine.
I can't comment on the BlackWidow having not used one myself. I have observed that most people concerned with the BlackWidow's quality don't seem to be the people that actually use the keyboard (i.e. Razer haters).
Most people that actually have one around here seem to be pretty happy with it.
I'm thinking of getting one for fun down the track.

If you've got your heart set on backlighting, you really don't have many choices I'm afraid.
Most of them have been mentioned earlier:

Quote from: REVENGE;522093
Ducky Shine
Razer Blackwidow Ultimate

Disregard:
Qtronix / XArmor U9BL
Deck
Mionix Zibal

The only other one(s) I can think of are the KBT "Race" and "Pure" keyboards, although I know very little about either of those.
Not even sure they're available yet, or if they're just a concept.
I've only seen pictures, but the pictures do look very nice. I need to do more research myself - I figured I'd mention them here, just in case.
Current collection:
Filco Majestouch 104-Key, w/ MX Browns
IBM Model M 52G9700
Leopold FC200R, "white" w/ MX Clears
Ducky DK9008S \'Shining\', white backlit w/ MX Blues
Cherry G80-3494(LCYUS-2), w/ MX Reds for Portal Mod

Not mine, but I\'ve got access to:
Filco Majestouch Linear R Limited Edition, w/ MX Reds
Filco Majestouch 2 \'Ninja\' Tenkeyless, w/ MX Blues
Leopold FC500R, w/ MX Browns

Offline Henry Allen Venture

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 22 February 2012, 20:26:35 »
Oh, I forgot to mention that the one bonus about the Ducky is you do get your choice of backlight colour, depending on where you order from.

While I'm here, this seems like as good a place as any to ask - now that there's a bit of interest in the Ducky Shining, does anyone want me to do up a review for it?
Do the more senior geekhackers think it'll be worthwhile? (See the review for the Leo FC200R in my sig for what to expect.)

Off topic, but speaking of the Leo review I did, I just realised that thing has got ~1600 views.
Holy ****!
Didn't expect it to get any where near that much traffic...
I guess geekhack is more popular than I thought.
Current collection:
Filco Majestouch 104-Key, w/ MX Browns
IBM Model M 52G9700
Leopold FC200R, "white" w/ MX Clears
Ducky DK9008S \'Shining\', white backlit w/ MX Blues
Cherry G80-3494(LCYUS-2), w/ MX Reds for Portal Mod

Not mine, but I\'ve got access to:
Filco Majestouch Linear R Limited Edition, w/ MX Reds
Filco Majestouch 2 \'Ninja\' Tenkeyless, w/ MX Blues
Leopold FC500R, w/ MX Browns

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 22 February 2012, 20:29:23 »
If you are spending $200, you can get 3 good used keyboards.

If you don't plan to marry the first girl you date, you might want to test the waters a bit.

Don't discount buckling springs, there is no experience like them. And if you can jump through all the hoops it takes to make an IBM Model F work, you get all the KRO that you want.

Harrison is right, back-lighting really limits the dimensions of your keyboard universe.

This forum would not exist if there was any such thing as "THE" keyboard.
State Freedom Caucus News 2024
Missouri state Senator Nick Schroer sponsors a bill that would allow senators to duel one another — in the Senate chambers! – legally.

Offline daniel0731ex

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 22 February 2012, 22:50:12 »
"I hated the Blackwidow. Hated, hated, hated, hated, hated the Blackwidow. Hated it. Hated every cheapening feeble useless user-insulting gimmicks of it. Hated the keycap font that thought anyone would like it. Hated the marketing pretense to the keyboard by its belief that anyone would be impressed by it."

Roger Expert - The Number One Keyboard Critic On The Planet.
« Last Edit: Wed, 22 February 2012, 22:54:25 by daniel0731ex »
"I hated the Blackwidow. Hated, hated, hated, hated, hated the Blackwidow. Hated it. Hated every cheapening feeble useless user-insulting gimmicks of it. Hated the keycap font that thought anyone would like it. Hated the marketing pretense to the keyboard by its belief that anyone would be impressed by it."

Roger Exbert - The Number One Keyboard Critic On The Planet.

Offline Xpace

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 23 February 2012, 05:13:09 »
Was browsing this thread while I was out checking out keyboards (mostly looking for the Ducky 9008 S), but couldn't seem to post a reply on my phone. Found a great place that sells the Ducky, guy knows fluent English and was very well versed and knowledgeable about asian keyboards. Carried a ton of Taiwan/Japanese brands. Apparently he's aware of geekhack, lol.

Took down some prices for various stuff I was interested that he had on stock:

Ducky 9008 Shining
Red Switch - $1100 (Blue, Pink, White, Red, Green, Aqua backlight)
Blue Switch - $1010 (Pink, White, Red, Green, Aqua backlight, no stock on Blue)
Black Switch - $1010 (Blue, Pink, White, Red, Green, Aqua backlight)
Brown Switch - $1010 (Blue, Pink, White, Red, Green, Aqua backlight)

Ducky 9008 S
Red Switch - $820
Blue Switch - $790
Black Switch - $790
Brown Switch - $790

Razer Blackwidow Ultimate - $1210
Razer Blackwidow (Chinese) - $1070

KBT Race 75% LED version
Red Switch - $900 (Green backlight, no stock on white)
Blue Switch - No stock
Black Switch - $840 (Green, White backlight)
Brown Switch - $860 (Green, White backlight)

According to him, the Blackwidow doesn't sell well in his shop, probably because the area I went to was pretty ghetto.. he was the only shop carrying Duckys/Razers/Flicos, etc... a hundred other shops over 2 floors carried brands of peripherals I've never even heard of like Lyco/Team Scorpion mice, but a few people do come by for the Duckys/Flicos and the Japanese keyboards (HHK?). I'm guessing people willing to spend ~$1000+ on a keyboard wouldn't get the Blackwidow?
He let me get my hands on all the switches for the Ducky, must say it's a hard pick between Blue/Red. It's a nightmare, I can't decide, and the clicks were hella sexy! >< He'll also change whatever keys I choose to whatever color I want for a small price if I pay by cash, lol.  
Gonna go to a few more places tomorrow and the day after before I decide, but right now I'm leaning hard on the Ducky.

EDIT:
Just re-read my post, realized I put the prices in HKD, lol.
1 USD = 7.8 HKD, roughly.

Offline Xpace

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 23 February 2012, 09:01:10 »
Quote from: harrison;522997
that doesn't surprise me in the least.  the 'black widow' is  a gamer board, not an enthusiast board.  it was made to be sold in big-box retail stores where it's a premium over standard rubber dome options, not other mechanical keyboards.

the price is fair for the ducky boards he's carrying.

the thing to keep in mind though, is that no one switch will end up being your be-all-end-all.  chances are you'll learn to love different characteristics of various switches for different tasks.  that's largely true for most of us, and why most of us keep more than one keyboard around.

Still gonna check other shops for better pricing. Dollar saved is a dollar earned!

But yeah, prior to actually knowing about switches, I was considering just the Blackwidow. At the moment Red/Blue both feel incredible. I'll probably end up buying both switches for whatever keyboard I decide (Ducky atm), 'cause 10 minutes typing on it in a shop doesn't do any justice. I was planning on getting backup boards anyway, so might as well spend that money on boards with different switches.