Author Topic: SSL for geekhack  (Read 6889 times)

Offline jalaj

SSL for geekhack
« on: Sat, 14 June 2014, 20:57:21 »
I'm a proponent to implement SSL for geekhack's webserver.
Especially since registered users have to authenticate to the site, SSL will help prevent the password from being visible in plain text from traffic sniffers on the same network, ISPs, or other guvment agencies.
I know there's a lot of private, sensitive NFO passed around on these forums and we need to safeguard it.
Fundraiser for SSL cert???
I'd chip in for the peace of mind.
« Last Edit: Sat, 14 June 2014, 21:00:04 by jalaj »

Offline smknjoe

• I like tactile, clicky, switches.
Re: SSL for geekhack
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 14 June 2014, 21:06:17 »
I completely agree. Any site that requires a password should use SSL/TLS. Godaddy certs are only about $80 a year. Otherwise, assume that your username and password used on this site have been or will be compromised at some point in time.

Edit: that's why I use a password that is unique to this site only...same goes for any other site that requires a password without SSL.
SSKs for everyone!

Offline jalaj

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 14 June 2014, 21:11:13 »
Also all PMs are currently insecure, the messages can be sniffed plain text.
Or someone can sniff the traffic, pull your account password, log into your account, and see all your PM history.
Bam private, sensitive info exposed.
I prefer digicert, but any SSL certificate authority is better than none at this point.

Offline smknjoe

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 14 June 2014, 21:19:07 »
Not to get OT, but why pay more for the same thing? Godaddy = $70 for one single year     Digicert = $175 for one single year. As long as 99% of browsers recognize it why not go cheaper, or am I missing something else that's better about the Digicert? No sarcasm...
SSKs for everyone!

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 14 June 2014, 21:41:14 »
yah, we should probably do this. there's basically no impedance. we've just been lax about it

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 14 June 2014, 21:49:54 »
I've gotten certificates from Comodo for less. However, it may of been a resellers discount. Definitely worth checking into.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 14 June 2014, 21:51:17 »
samwisekoi is almost certainly a reseller. I'll get this done, just keep bugging me about it

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline smknjoe

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 14 June 2014, 21:54:24 »
Comodo is $99 for 1 year. They (and Digicert) offer a multi-year discount though. Godaddy is the cheapest I know of and I've used them for about 14 years. They were $40 until a few years ago...
SSKs for everyone!

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 14 June 2014, 22:10:16 »

Offline smknjoe

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 14 June 2014, 22:16:04 »
Nice!
SSKs for everyone!

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 14 June 2014, 22:36:30 »
StartSSL.com class 1 certificates are free. You can't beat that price.

You need to generate a new one each year, but it's a good idea to do that anyway.
« Last Edit: Sat, 14 June 2014, 22:38:26 by Techno Trousers »

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 14 June 2014, 22:43:30 »
This is a great idea! I would gladly chip in, if needed, to help cover the cost of an SSL cert.

As a side note, I use DigiCert at work for our all certificates and have always been very happy with their service. They may not be the cheapest but having unlimited server licenses and unlimited duplicates for our wildcard is very convenient.

Realforce EK45 (Silenced)  |  Realforce 87UW (45g)  |  Realforce 87UWS (Variable)
Filco MJ2 TKL (Cherry Clears)  |  Phantom 87 (78g Gateron Clears)  |  Phantom 86 (67g Zealios)

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 15 June 2014, 11:45:05 »
the blocking function here is that i need to reset my access to the geekhack back-end to implement this. the cert won't be an issue.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 15 June 2014, 11:46:07 »
Very serious question. Can someone explain SSL to me like I'm in kindergarten? I'd like to learn more about it. I'm assuming that it's a security feature that GH should have.

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Church of the Ergo Clear
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 15 June 2014, 12:00:19 »
Very serious question. Can someone explain SSL to me like I'm in kindergarten? I'd like to learn more about it. I'm assuming that it's a security feature that GH should have.

Edit: see reply below, way better description.
« Last Edit: Sun, 15 June 2014, 12:03:45 by bueller »
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

[WTT] bueller's trade thread - CLACKS WANTED

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 15 June 2014, 12:02:06 »

Caveat: I don't claim to really understand this stuff, but here's what SSL/TLS (Secure Sockets Layer/Transport Security Layer) lets you do:

I want to accomplish two things: 1) verify that messages sent from geekhack.org are actually sent from geekhack.org (and not someone pretending to be), and 2) encrypt messages sent between the server and me. Number 2) means that if I submit my password and someone intercepts my message, all they see are "random" characters, not my actual password. Actually, they shouldn't even know that I submitted my password at all. SSL/TLS lets me accomplish both of these.

First, someone called a Certificate Authority issues an SSL certificate to geekhack.org. When I initiate a connection, geekhack.org sends me this special certificate, which I then send back to the Certificate Authority to "verify" that geekhack.org is who they say they are. Due to some crypto magic that I won't go into, it's not possible for someone else to fake this certificate. This gets me 1) above.

Since I now know that geekhack.org is who they say they are, we exchange a set of keys that we will use to encrypt further traffic. This uses something called Public Key Cryptography. The basic idea is that I generate a public key and a private key. I sent you my public key, which is kind of like a thing that takes some text and outputs some garbled text. The trick is that you can't get back the original text unless you have the private key. So you send me the encrypted message, and I use my private key to turn it back into the actual message you wanted me to receive. So I use the server's public key to encrypt messages I send it, and it uses my public key to encrypt messages it sends back. This gets me 2) above.

Corrections welcomed. If this didn't make sense, CPT, feel free to ping me on Skype. ;)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #16 on: Sun, 15 June 2014, 12:03:47 »
Hooray! Basic understanding achieved :D. Thanks riotonthebro and bueller!

Offline Coreda

« Reply #17 on: Sun, 15 June 2014, 12:03:51 »

It's the https part of the URL on secure sites. Non secure (http) connections can be eavesdropped, so anyone looking at data from your connection can see all the info being exchanged between you and geekhack in the clear.

On the other hand, setting up SSL on the site would allow the user to connect securely to GH, essentially like a secret handshake. This allows the data to be encrypted and prevents others from snooping on the communication as it's being sent.

Edit: heh, beaten by riot  :thumb:

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #18 on: Sun, 15 June 2014, 12:06:40 »
Your explanation actually made something like Coreda. Now I understand why people/tech support have referred to something as handshakes when talking about browsers.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #19 on: Sun, 15 June 2014, 12:24:28 »
ssl is just an encryption mechanism for http sessions

although now it's really called tsl, not ssl. the ssl standards are broken. same diff though

edit: sorry, it's an encryption and integrity. the basic idea behind integrity is that integrity proves that each message passed between users definitely came from the sending user.
« Last Edit: Sun, 15 June 2014, 12:27:36 by mkawa »

Offline intelli78

« Reply #20 on: Sun, 15 June 2014, 12:26:04 »
Is the use of SSL considered strictly superior over NOT using it for all situations?  Are there any downsides other than the cost of the certificate?
Please consider carefully before you decide to comment, for Jesus.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #21 on: Sun, 15 June 2014, 12:29:00 »
the SSL standards are completely subsumed by the TLS standards because of the number of attacks which make breaking SSLv1-2 trivial. i'd rather not implement sslv1-2 and go plaintext than go with either one, because sslv1-2 are equivalent to having no secure exchange at all, but give the illusion of being secure.
« Last Edit: Sun, 15 June 2014, 21:33:07 by mkawa »

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #22 on: Sun, 15 June 2014, 12:41:50 »
the SSL standards are completely subsumed by the TSL standards because of the number of attacks which make breaking SSLv1-2 trivial. i'd rather not implement sslv1-2 and go plaintext than go with either one, because sslv1-2 are equivalent to having no secure exchange at all, but give the illusion of being secure.

I don't think anyone here actually means SSL when they say SSL. Just assume everyone's talking about TLS.

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 16 June 2014, 18:50:58 »
HTTPS is probably the most correct generic terminology. I still need to break myself of using the term SSL as well.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #24 on: Mon, 16 June 2014, 19:28:48 »
you aren't the only one. apache has called it mod_ssl since the beginning of time, and doesn't plan on changing the name.

Offline esko997

• Linux Lover
« Reply #25 on: Mon, 16 June 2014, 19:43:03 »
Not sure whether the Geekhack site entity has money available to spend on this kind of thing, but if not I would also be willing to chip in something for SSL implementation.
Daily Drivers:  Unicomp Customizer (BS -- Linux Layout) | Vortex Race 3 (Clears)
Other Boards: CM Quickfire Stealth (Greens) | Poker II (Blues) | PLU-ML 87 (Ergo Clears)  | JD40 (Browns) | Leopold FC660C (Topre) | IBM Model M | ErgoDox (Clears) | Sentraq s60x DIY (Blacks) | Anne Pro 2 (Blues) | Cherry G80-11900 (Blacks) | Kira (99 Key) (Hako True)

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #26 on: Wed, 22 October 2014, 20:04:43 »
Any news on this?

Realforce EK45 (Silenced)  |  Realforce 87UW (45g)  |  Realforce 87UWS (Variable)
Filco MJ2 TKL (Cherry Clears)  |  Phantom 87 (78g Gateron Clears)  |  Phantom 86 (67g Zealios)

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #27 on: Wed, 22 October 2014, 21:23:32 »
PM sent to mkawa regarding money for certs.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #28 on: Thu, 23 October 2014, 01:09:19 »
Is the use of SSL considered strictly superior over NOT using it for all situations?  Are there any downsides other than the cost of the certificate?
There are no major downsides. The site might appear to be a bit slower because the server has to do a bit more work to encrypt the messages and terminate the SSL connection, but it won't be a big difference. Commonly people who are not logged in are served http pages and when you log in you are served HTTPS pages. This helps reduce the work of the server while still keeping all the user transactional data secure.

Offline atlas3686

• HHKB Elite
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Preacher at the church of Thorpe
« Reply #29 on: Thu, 23 October 2014, 01:23:05 »

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #30 on: Sun, 02 November 2014, 19:59:31 »
Hi everyone, just wanted to let ya'll know that this is happening. We're getting some https action. But since I don't understand how all this works, I'll let samwisekoi, mkawa, jwaz, or someone much smarter than me chime in.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #31 on: Sun, 02 November 2014, 20:33:51 »
Hi everyone, just wanted to let ya'll know that this is happening. We're getting some https action. But since I don't understand how all this works, I'll let samwisekoi, mkawa, jwaz, or someone much smarter than me chime in.

You just add an s to the end of http and it's magic.

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #32 on: Sun, 02 November 2014, 20:34:25 »

Just like Scrabble.
Add S to win.
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #33 on: Sun, 02 November 2014, 20:38:18 »
So what you're saying is that even though S is a ***** letter and only gives me one stupid point, it's important for SSL Scrabble? TIL.

Offline Zeal

• Actually the King of Green Tea Kit-Kats
  • * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #34 on: Sun, 02 November 2014, 20:41:28 »

Just like Scrabble.
Add S to win.

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=59555.30

Am I doing it right? :p
        "Bird have wing, bird will fly. Henry had wings.  Henry now fly." -Sent

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #35 on: Sun, 02 November 2014, 20:42:19 »
So what you're saying is that even though S is a ***** letter and only gives me one stupid point, it's important for SSL Scrabble? TIL.

If someone wants to be like
"CONNOTATION, BISH! 1 BAJILLION PTS!"

You be like
"CONNOTATION + S. 1 bajillion and 1 pts. Get rekt son.
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #36 on: Sun, 02 November 2014, 21:05:23 »
It will most likely be implemented in the next month but for sure before the end of the year. We've got the hookup on a cert, but thanks for the suggestions everyone. This is something we realize we should have done a long time ago and are working to resolve in a timely manner.

Offline tbc

« Reply #37 on: Sun, 02 November 2014, 21:14:23 »
is this breaking image uploading or is that something else?

tons of 500s
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #38 on: Sun, 02 November 2014, 21:15:26 »

tons of 500s

nothing technical has been done yet AKAIK

and if we had done anything it shouldn't break images
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #39 on: Mon, 03 November 2014, 12:05:04 »

tons of 500s

That's a separate issue entirely, we're working on it and appreciate your patience.

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #40 on: Tue, 04 November 2014, 22:38:54 »
Thanks for pushing this forward. Definitely a worthwhile feature  :thumb:
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #41 on: Wed, 05 November 2014, 01:42:06 »
I think that each HTTP request should be automatically be redirected to the corresponding HTTPS request.
That way, you would not loose TLS protection if you follow a link to a thread or to the Wiki.

Maybe that could be an optional feature for logged-in users only.

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #42 on: Wed, 05 November 2014, 13:21:32 »
I think that each HTTP request should be automatically be redirected to the corresponding HTTPS request.
That way, you would not loose TLS protection if you follow a link to a thread or to the Wiki.

Maybe that could be an optional feature for logged-in users only.

This is definitely something we'll be planning on doing.