Author Topic: Model M from eBay - some issues  (Read 1218 times)

Offline Pyotr

Model M from eBay - some issues
« on: Sat, 07 December 2019, 03:08:32 »
I just received my first vintage (1988) Model M, which I bought on eBay from a vendor in Cyprus. I paid about £100. There are a few issues so I wondered if any experts could offer their advice and opinions.

The MPN on the label on the case is 1393285. However, the MPN on the base-plate inside is 1391406, which happens to match the vendor's described MPN. To be fair, it is possible to see the discrepancy by looking carefully at the vendor's photos but I didn't notice at the time. Is this a problem? Does it indicate the keyboard is a bit of a hybrid?

The keys are nothing like as clicky as my new Unicomp Classic. They all work and they are all about the same. There is a discernible click in both directions but it is much more subtle than the Unicomp. This is the opposite of what I was expecting. Again, is this an indication of a problem? The springs all look okay, the keys are seated on the springs properly and, surprisingly, the plastic rivets on the base-plate appear to be intact, so I'm stumped. (I can send photos if that would help.)

The keycaps are all UK (which is fine) but the case MPN indicates that maybe they should have been UK/Greek. Again, this might be evidence of some mixing and matching of parts.

The left Alt key is subtly green, unlike all the other keys.

The right shift key is a bit sticky. It has an insert and doesn't look like it ever had a bar. Perhaps it needs a new insert or something.

The numpad + key has a bar but the numpad enter key is missing its bar and is a bit sticky. I've already got a bar on order.

So, all in all, a few issues, but a basically working Model M. Have I paid over the odds?

Offline yui

Re: Model M from eBay - some issues
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 07 December 2019, 03:34:02 »
I really can't say anything about the price, i looked at that keyboard as well (at least i looked at a uk M from cyprus on e-bay) and decided that i already had a 122 key and did not need it, other wise i would have bought it as well. I do definitively regret not going into the hobby earlier (5 euro Ms would have been nice).

As for the sound, unicomp use thinner plastic shells and steel plates (the older the M the thicker) and different dampening sheets so the sound being different makes sense, if all key register that is not a problem.
For the code discrepancy the most likely explanation is that the seller had a working M with a damaged case and a non working one with a good case and so made the swap to have a fully working and nicer looking M, the green alt key most likely is for a similar reasons, ibm and unicomp made (and still are making) keyboard with red, green and blue shift, alt and ctrl keys (not sure of the order) it was fairly common back then to have those keys colored. and you may also have 2 pieces keys that have different stem colors, one of mine had gray white and black stems and single piece keys all on one board.

if you are searching for stabilizer inserts unicomp still makes them new and there might be a few on sale on e-bay although you may try a bit of lube and see if the stikyness goes away(at least while you get your parts) or if your barrel plate uses bars you may try to find a key with them, as i think the inserts going from the bottom of the barrel plate (might be wrong, going to try that later and update you, if fohat has not done so 1st)

hope it helps
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline Pyotr

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 07 December 2019, 12:30:42 »
Thanks for the reassuring reply. I think I'll go ahead and give the vendor a reasonable rating on eBay. I get a bit nervous, buyer's remorse perhaps, after having made a purchase like this. I suppose it goes with the territory of buying something intrinsically old that it's going to have a few imperfections and things to sort out.

It had occurred to me that perhaps the Unicomp is noisier because it has more empty space inside for the sound to reverberate around. It's just that the things I'd read on forums like this had led me to believe the older keyboard would be even louder. The vintage Model M is certainly a lot heavier so perhaps it just absorbs the sound more. The keys certainly feel okay to type on.

I've just ordered a Model F XT so stand by for more of this!

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 07 December 2019, 12:47:53 »
Thanks for the reassuring reply. I think I'll go ahead and give the vendor a reasonable rating on eBay. I get a bit nervous, buyer's remorse perhaps, after having made a purchase like this. I suppose it goes with the territory of buying something intrinsically old that it's going to have a few imperfections and things to sort out.

It had occurred to me that perhaps the Unicomp is noisier because it has more empty space inside for the sound to reverberate around. It's just that the things I'd read on forums like this had led me to believe the older keyboard would be even louder. The vintage Model M is certainly a lot heavier so perhaps it just absorbs the sound more. The keys certainly feel okay to type on.

I've just ordered a Model F XT so stand by for more of this!

The thin white latex blankets that Unicomp uses in lieu of the thick black rubber ones in the originals probably has a lot to do with the pinginess of Unicomps.

I have updated several of the Ms that I have cracked open, I think I like the thin latex.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"