Author Topic: [IC] Quadrant R2  (Read 9481 times)

Offline Ealdin

[IC] Quadrant R2
« on: Tue, 06 October 2020, 11:03:49 »

Let me introduce you the Quadrant R2, a 5x14 ortholinear keyboard, inspired by the Plaid and The_RoMac.

It's been a while since we closed the first found of the Quadrant GB with great success. I was thinking that it's about time to dust off the project and inquire if there are fellow clackers out there who would like to get their hands on a minimalistic ortholinear board. For this round I want to improve the keyboard and I would like to ask about your ideas and opinions. Therefore I created an IC form:

IC form (closed)

UPDATE #1

More
Thank you all for your responses, I really appreciate that you have been so active! The IC form is still available, but I wanted to post about its result so far.
  • the Quadrant kit will be available both in white and black colour
  • in terms of PCB types, solderable version leads the vote, so the main PCB will be only this type, which gives you more freedom to use your favorite type of switch
  • in connection with this, the kit will contain an FR4 switch plate as well, in the same colour as the kit, to secure your switches in straight lines. Its other benefit is that you will be able to use 3 pin switches without any problems!
  • the acrylic layered case was divisive, but the majority of respondents would like to see their Quadrant in a case, therefore I will offer the laser cutted case in addition to the kit. The case itself will be made of semi-transparent 3 mm acrylic sheets and the top layer will be fully transparent to show all the fancy components (as seen in the product images)
  • of course, beside that the files for the case is still available on Quadrant's Github page
  • I plan to launch the GB in early November, more informations about it later

UPDATE #2

More
It’s just a small update for the upcoming Group Buy, mainly about the case:
  • in the GB I will offer 2 types of kits: 1. barebone kit (similar to Round 1 with an FR4 switch plate added to it) and 2. acrylic case kit
  • the latter one will contain the layered acrylic case and the main PCB (plus the electrical components, screws, etc.). The case will be laser cutted from 3 mm acrylic sheets. However I will add a spacer plate to the kit, as the 3 mm switch plate has a tendency to not fully secure the switches. The material of this sheet is on consideration, but its thickness will be 2 mm to fill the gap between the switch plate and the PCB
  • as I stated in the first update, the case you can buy during the GB will be semi transparent white (except the most top one, which will be clear), which gives you a great effect if using RGB stripes
  • and a miniscule but important thing: the GB will start on 6th of November (Friday)

UPDATE #3

Here is my final update before launching the Groupbuy. The IC form will remain open for the weekend, if you would like to share some of your insights about the board.
And now, the details about the GB:
  • the GB will start on 6th of November (Friday) at 19:00 CET, and will close after 3 weeks (27th of November) or until the maximum number of orders is reached
  • FCFS
  • there isn’t any MOQ, but the maximum number of slots is 50 for this round (25 in black and 25 in white)
  • pricing: barebone kit: 55 EUR; acrylic case kit: 90 EUR (exl. PayPal fees and shipping, which will be calculated individually according to the shipping address)
  • the invoices will be sent out via PayPal as soon as possible after the GB is closed. You will have 48 hours to complete the payment otherwise the slot will be raffled among the additional participants who left out the sale
  • lead time: 10 weeks after the GB closes

Album link for the T2.0_v1.0 prototype (using Teensy 2.0): https://imgur.com/gallery/Dtllkvf
Album link for the E-C_v1.1 prototype (built in an acrylic case): https://imgur.com/a/mSFzUCS
More pictures about the acrylic case: https://imgur.com/gallery/dqrPj6h
Link of the first round's IC thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=102193.0
Discord server's link: Ealdin Keyboards

Typing test

Features of the keyboard:
  • ortholinear layout
  • 5x14 matrix
  • Elite-C microcontroller support
  • QMK and VIA support
  • MX-style, Alps and Kailh Choc switch compatibility
  • rotary encoder support: on 1x1 and 1x5 of the matrix (only one of the 2 sockets can be used at a time, because they share the same traces for data)
  • WS2818B LED strip support
  • one programmable LED (Caps Lock LED as default)
  • reset button
  • PCB colour variants: black (white silkscreen) and white (black silkscreen)
  • two sided graphics on the bottom PCB
  • aesthetically placed diodes
  • transparent polycarbonate shield to protect the components from any damage and dust
  • estimated price: TBD

The construction of the Quadrant follows the usual "main PCB - standoffs - bottom plate" structure, without any plate. The kit contains a switch plate as well, in case you would like to use 3 pin MX-style switches.

The 5x14 matrix gives you the opportunity to use the extra columns for additional modifiers, macro keys or full “ISO” support to the fellow Europeans in the community.
Layout options:

The barebone kit contains:
  • 1pc top PCB
  • 1pc FR4 switch plate
  • 1pc bottom PCB
  • 70pcs 1N4148 THT diodes
  • 1pc 3mm LED (cool white)
  • 1pc resistor for LED
  • 1pc 6x6mm tactile push button
  • 10pcs 6mm standoffs
  • 4pcs 10mm standoffs
  • 12pcs M2x4mm screws
  • 4pcs M2x6mm screws
  • 4pcs M2x12mm screws
  • 1pc transparent polycarbonate shield
  • 4pcs rubber feet
Render:

The acrylic case kit includes:
  • 1pc top PCB
  • 11pcs laser cutted acrylic sheets
  • 70pcs 1N4148 THT diodes
  • 1pc 3mm LED (cool white)
  • 1pc resistor for LED
  • 1pc 6x6mm tactile push button
  • 2pcs 6mm standoffs
  • 6pcs 15mm standoffs
  • 16pcs M2x6mm screws
  • 6pcs rubber feet
Render:

Timeplan:
  • 06_10_2020: IC released
  • 13_10_2020: Update #1
  • 23_10_2020: Update #2
  • 30_10_2020: Update #3
  • 06_11_2020: GB is live

« Last Edit: Thu, 10 December 2020, 14:35:04 by Ealdin »

Offline Pyk_

Re: [IC] Quadrant R2
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 07 October 2020, 10:48:18 »
Looks great! I’ usually use 40%, but I might have to pick one up anyway since I like it. Out of curiosity, any plans for a 40% version?

Offline Ealdin

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 07 October 2020, 14:25:37 »
Thanks!
I have a proto board, which has extended Planck layout (4x12 with numpad), but so far I haven't thought about standard 40% size.

Offline astronavy

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 07 October 2020, 15:34:12 »
I have participated in the previous GB. This  kb is definitely missing a plate. I would love participate in this GB if it has a plate.

Offline Ealdin

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 08 October 2020, 06:03:46 »
Yep, that's one of the things what I will add to the kit due to the feedbacks  :thumb:

Offline iwanoo

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 09 October 2020, 11:19:36 »
Very happy this is getting a re-run! I bought R1 from the aftermarket a few weeks back, unfortunately the PCB had issue so I returned it to the seller. Hopefully I can finally get my hand on it.

Offline dibstern

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 29 October 2020, 21:38:12 »
I love the acrylic case kit. Looks hot!
« Last Edit: Tue, 24 November 2020, 06:08:26 by dibstern »

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 29 October 2020, 21:57:39 »
Nice bro
treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!

Offline bloodparticle

• A through hole keyboard fan!
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 05 November 2020, 06:19:49 »
YEAH almost launching!  ;)
« Last Edit: Thu, 05 November 2020, 06:51:22 by bloodparticle »

Offline Ealdin

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 06 November 2020, 12:05:47 »
Hi folks!

The Group Buy just started, so there will be its topic in the GB section, when the moderators approve it: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=109456.0

Good luck!
« Last Edit: Fri, 06 November 2020, 12:52:57 by Ealdin »

Offline T.Pineapples

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 06 November 2020, 18:52:41 »
Looking forward to building :D