Author Topic: Typewriters - Reviews / Questions / Pictures  (Read 19843 times)

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Gentlemen, a bobsled is a simple thing.
    • KeyChatter
Typewriters - Reviews / Questions / Pictures
« on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 20:53:02 »
I figured it was time to create a proper thread for what eventually got me back into keyboards way back in the day. Typewriters. I've had almost as many typewriters as keyboards and have learned a few things along the way. Post pictures or videos, ask questions of any kind, or just generally rant about how much you love these old machines.

I figured I could dump a few resources here in the OP just to help people quickly find places to start looking for good typewriters. If you are looking to buy a typewriter to actually get a lot of use out of, I would highly recommend getting a restored/serviced typewriter and not the cheapest one you can find on Ebay. There are indeed a lot of great deals on Ebay, but I've found that they are often more trouble than they are worth.

MrsSpeedBump actually introduced me to Etsy a while back, and I've found that is actually a really, really good place to begin the search. Most restored typewriters tend to be in Europe, but even with ~$50 of shipping they are still normally cheaper than refurbished typewriters stateside (for those of you here).

https://www.etsy.com/search?q=working%20typewriter

If you take a gamble on Ebay, just be careful. You can luck out if you check the seller ratings/return policy. It is always good to ask for a type sample of the entire alphabet as well.

Manual or Electric?

Now, if you are thinking about buying your first typewriter you'll have to decide if you want an electric or manual typewriter. Along with personal preference, workload and what you plan to use the typewriter for can really influence what type will fit you best. For me personally, I enjoy manual typewriters. I write poetry with very spastic margins and spacing, and manual typewriters really make that easier. Manual typewriters made 50's and later are also usually a lot more portable and lightweight, allowing you to easily store the typewriter when not in use. The main downside to a manual typewriter is that your typing speed will be limited. While some allow for you to adjust the pressure needed to actuate the key, you still won't be able to touch type at 140WPM. Each stroke will need to be decisive, otherwise the lettering will be very light. Manual typewriters can also be extremely complex and difficult to fix. This is the main reason I really encourage looking to get a refurbished manual.

Electric typewriters are definitely made for heavy workloads. If you plan to write a novel or research papers, I'd strongly suggest looking for an electric. While they are often heavier and less portable than their manual siblings, electric typewriters are often robust enough to handle constant use and much higher typing speeds.

Finally: when in doubt, buy both.  :thumb:

« Last Edit: Thu, 05 November 2015, 15:50:43 by livingspeedbump »
<- My Collection (so far)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Re: Typewriters - Reviews / Questions / Pictures
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 20:56:48 »
I've got this non-profit in town that sells typewriters they refurbish....to fund the non-profit lol. I'm going to check it out sometime this week. I'm a complete noob. My questions are:

1) What should I look for in a typewriter? Or what do people look for? Size? How loud it is? Color? Layout?
2) Are there things that I should look out for in terms of condition? What are deal breakers and what are good things to see? Like I'm assuming if an arm is snapped off, that's bad.
3) Does anyone have preferences towards models or brands?

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 21:34:36 »
Uhhhh, gimme a week and I'll have something to post here.

* HoffmanMyster pillages the parent's house  >:D

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 21:40:09 »

Next on the LSB giveaways tour - typewriters  :eek:

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 21:57:18 »

Just don't send one to me, I already have some.  :)  Unless it's that orange one, then send them all to me.

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 21:59:54 »

Just don't send one to me, I already have some.  :)  Unless it's that orange one, then send them all to me.

i send **** to whoever the **** I wanna send stuff too, brah.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 22:12:38 »

oh

:-[

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 22:14:52 »

oh

:-[

You gotta post pics of these typewriters you say you have!

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 22:18:33 »

breh  :rolleyes:

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 22:24:36 »

so what you're actually telling me, is that you dont actually HAVE a typewriter?  :cool:

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 22:32:25 »

so what you're actually telling me, is that you dont actually HAVE a typewriter?  :cool:

Oh, Brother...  :rolleyes:

You make me post the least visually-engaging one I have...  -_-  (though it is the most functional)

Brother AX-250 by HoffmanMyster, on Flickr

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 23:01:10 »
Here's a pic of the exact model I have. Not my pic, but my pics are all potato, anyway.

115911-0

I typed a draft of a book I'm working on using it, and I learned how spoiled we've become with word processors. I learned all about margins, tabbing, when to enter/return, the beauty if hyphened words and justification, and how freaking loud these beasts can be.
I used typewriters back when I was a wee lad, but it had been years. When I interned at a local office over a decade ago, they had me use a Brother typewriter to punch out addressed envelopes. That was the last time I used one until I found the above at a Goodwill for $6. Needed a light cleaning, but it works charmingly.

I didn't know there were such things as electric typewriters (and, subsequently, manual typewriters) before my purchase. It's a fantastic typewriter, and really makes me consider my words carefully. Sure, I can always strike-out a letter or word, but it's not as great at erasing as our modern processors.

The place I work at now has a Selectric III I like to use when no one's in the office. I plan on obtaining one, as well as some models by Hermes, Olympia, Remington, Royal, some manual Smith-Coronas, and even an old Underwood. Hey--typewriters are far cheaper than mechanical keyboards!

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 23:15:33 »
Here's a pic of the exact model I have. Not my pic, but my pics are all potato, anyway.

(Attachment Link)

I typed a draft of a book I'm working on using it, and I learned how spoiled we've become with word processors. I learned all about margins, tabbing, when to enter/return, the beauty if hyphened words and justification, and how freaking loud these beasts can be.
I used typewriters back when I was a wee lad, but it had been years. When I interned at a local office over a decade ago, they had me use a Brother typewriter to punch out addressed envelopes. That was the last time I used one until I found the above at a Goodwill for $6. Needed a light cleaning, but it works charmingly.

I didn't know there were such things as electric typewriters (and, subsequently, manual typewriters) before my purchase. It's a fantastic typewriter, and really makes me consider my words carefully. Sure, I can always strike-out a letter or word, but it's not as great at erasing as our modern processors.

The place I work at now has a Selectric III I like to use when no one's in the office. I plan on obtaining one, as well as some models by Hermes, Olympia, Remington, Royal, some manual Smith-Coronas, and even an old Underwood. Hey--typewriters are far cheaper than mechanical keyboards!

I actually had one of these once. I honestly really liked it. Mine hummed loud as **** when it was on, but it was part of the experience. It is always nice to have a solid electric typewriter around even if you mostly have manuals just because the rate you can type at on an electric is quite a bit higher. Electric typewriters often have a higher chance of working as well usually! What a steal you got on yours.

The Hermes Baby is a classic, i have a few of those! Same with the Royal Quite De Luxe line. Olivetti typewriters have been my favorites for a while for handling actual work loads though. Extremely reliable.

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 23:16:23 »

Oh, Brother...  :rolleyes:

You make me post the least visually-engaging one I have...  -_-  (though it is the most functional)

Show Image

Brother AX-250 by HoffmanMyster, on Flickr

Are there MX or MY switches in that sucker?

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 05 November 2015, 11:37:14 »

My very first machine with some of the fruits of her labor.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 05 November 2015, 11:41:48 »
Show Image

Is that a conspiracy book? Because that title makes me want to get out my tinfoil hat. :eek:

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 05 November 2015, 11:45:01 »
Show Image

Is that a conspiracy book? Because that title makes me want to get out my tinfoil hat. :eek:

Its basically talking about the ancient astronaut theory and how that relates to global warming, the bible, and Richard Nixon. ^-^

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 05 November 2015, 11:47:18 »
Where can I get that white one? It's gorgeous.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 05 November 2015, 11:51:21 »
Where can I get that white one? It's gorgeous.

Luckily those are REALLY cheap compared to most. Even restored they can easily be found under $150! It's an Olympia Traveller.

Ebay and Etsy are great places to look! It was also very easy to take apart, and so you can find a lot of really cool colors as well as people often paint them during the restoration process.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 05 November 2015, 11:55:22 »
How difficult is it to find ink for it?

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 05 November 2015, 12:00:24 »

Super easy. http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Black-Red-nylon-Twin-spool-Ribbons-for-Olivetti-Typewriters-/171987280119?hash=item280b3da0f7:g:HDUAAOSwWnFWBakE

It uses a standard ribbon, which can be found on ebay, amazon, etc for around $5 a ribbon new. A ribbon will last quite a while at that. I type on mine daily and get 1-3 months out of a ribbon no problem

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #21 on: Thu, 05 November 2015, 12:01:15 »
Show Image

Its basically talking about the ancient astronaut theory and how that relates to global warming, the bible, and Richard Nixon. ^-^
Hook me up. :P

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #22 on: Thu, 05 November 2015, 12:12:14 »

Super easy. http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Black-Red-nylon-Twin-spool-Ribbons-for-Olivetti-Typewriters-/171987280119?hash=item280b3da0f7:g:HDUAAOSwWnFWBakE

It uses a standard ribbon, which can be found on ebay, amazon, etc for around $5 a ribbon new. A ribbon will last quite a while at that. I type on mine daily and get 1-3 months out of a ribbon no problem
Oh god I just found a red one ;_; so pretty.

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #23 on: Thu, 05 November 2015, 12:13:57 »

mhmmm. The red/white combo is killer

Offline FoxWolf1

« Reply #24 on: Thu, 05 November 2015, 12:14:13 »
Oh man. I took my Swintec apart a while back and didn't put it back together properly, so now it doesn't work. Then again, it didn't work that well ever (during my ownership at least), which is why I was taking it apart in the first place. Someday, I'll get around to replacing it.

I'm a fan of beige boxy typewriters, the kind that you buy because you actually want a typewriter rather than because you want hipster cred. The Swintec was a manual, but I think I'll go electric or even electronic next time-- I'm not a purist or a minimalist, so a little LCD display for spellcheck and editing wouldn't really threaten the things I like about typing on a typewriter rather than on a computer (fewer distractions, less eye-strain, instant hard copies). Unfortunately even "uncool" typewriters seem to have gotten pretty expensive over the last few years, so this project will have to wait for when (maybe "if" would be more accurate) I have a little money to spend. :-(
Oberhofer Model 1101 | PadTech Hall Effect (Prototype) | RK RC930-104 v2 | IBM Model M | Noppoo TANK | Keycool Hero 104

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #25 on: Thu, 05 November 2015, 12:15:44 »
Show Image

LSB, do you prefer electric typewriters to the mechanical ones? Do they feel different to type on? I've only really played with mechanical ones. I've found quite a few electric ones at thrift stores but I didn't know what they were really.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #26 on: Thu, 05 November 2015, 12:23:28 »
Show Image

LSB, do you prefer electric typewriters to the mechanical ones? Do they feel different to type on? I've only really played with mechanical ones. I've found quite a few electric ones at thrift stores but I didn't know what they were really.

So far as I know, electric typewriters make it easier (and faster) to type on since they don't require as much force when typing. But because of the electric innards they are HEAVY and require an outlet to use at all.

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #27 on: Thu, 05 November 2015, 12:23:51 »
Show Image

Personally I like mechanical ones, usually post 40's though. Early models, while they look amazing, aren't really great for the faster typing speeds most of us are capable of. That 70's Olympia, for example, is about as fast as mechanical ones come. You can adjust the force to accommodate touch typing, but still have to go slow enough to make decisive strokes (or else the letter will come out very lightly). Mechanical ones from post 50's are also much lighter than the electric ones, and much smaller as well, so they allow for easy movement/storage which is nice. As much as I love my typewriters, i like being able to stow them away to clear desk space when not in use.

If you want to set about writing longer format stuff though, like a novel, paper, etc, an electric one would probably treat you a bit better. You can pretty much type as fast as you want on most electric typewriters. Most newer model electrics offer a bit more in-depth formatting options as well. You can easily snag a selectric for under $50 that works just fine.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #28 on: Thu, 05 November 2015, 12:25:39 »
I've been wanting a Selectric for a while just because I proxied three for Halverson and I kinda fell in love. Ugh...the decisions. I don't think I have room for a Selectric in my apartment though. Plus I really like the look of the mechanical typewriters.

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #29 on: Thu, 05 November 2015, 12:30:29 »
Oh man. I took my Swintec apart a while back and didn't put it back together properly, so now it doesn't work. Then again, it didn't work that well ever (during my ownership at least), which is why I was taking it apart in the first place. Someday, I'll get around to replacing it.

I'm a fan of beige boxy typewriters, the kind that you buy because you actually want a typewriter rather than because you want hipster cred. The Swintec was a manual, but I think I'll go electric or even electronic next time-- I'm not a purist or a minimalist, so a little LCD display for spellcheck and editing wouldn't really threaten the things I like about typing on a typewriter rather than on a computer (fewer distractions, less eye-strain, instant hard copies). Unfortunately even "uncool" typewriters seem to have gotten pretty expensive over the last few years, so this project will have to wait for when (maybe "if" would be more accurate) I have a little money to spend. :-(

As people that are all fans of "typing devices" around here, I'm fairly sure nobody is looking for hipster cred in these parts. We are all on GH, thus we are all uber-geeks to begin with.  :eek:

The experience is far different on manual and electric typewriters. As I stated, if you are going to set out to write any longer format document, electrics are probably the way to go. Me? I've had a few books of poetry published and the manual is far better suited for my style. I like to screw with the formatting to make the works flow on the page in a bit more chaotic way, which is something electrics don't allow nearly to the extent as manuals (at least not with any ease). It is also far easier for me to throw a manual in the back of my car and head to my little cabin in the mountains and write on the porch, or at the table, or even while sitting in bed. There's a lot more to finding what typewriter suits your needs best than just "hipster cred" ;)

PS: I've never taken my manuals out to a swank brew pub or coffee joint, yet  :))

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #30 on: Thu, 05 November 2015, 12:32:59 »
I'll post my Remington Rand when I get some good pics of it. And my green Olympia Traveller. :)
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #31 on: Thu, 05 November 2015, 12:33:11 »
I've been wanting a Selectric for a while just because I proxied three for Halverson and I kinda fell in love. Ugh...the decisions. I don't think I have room for a Selectric in my apartment though. Plus I really like the look of the mechanical typewriters.

The other plus side of typewriters like Selectrics are that I don't see them going too far up in price anytime soon, as there are still soooo many floating around. They are also generally very reliable, so taking a gamble and getting one off Ebay will probably result in a working typewriter. So you can always just pick one of those up whenever you have the space in the future. The same can't be said for manuals. They can be far more finicky, but finding a nice serviced one will last you for ages. Especially since you have that shop near you to take advantage of!

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #32 on: Thu, 05 November 2015, 12:33:50 »
I'll post my Remington Rand when I get some good pics of it. And my green Olympia Traveller. :)

Nice! I had a green one as well for a long time. I cant not buy a Traveller when I see a good deal on one.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #33 on: Thu, 05 November 2015, 12:34:57 »
We are on geekhack right? I think the obvious answer is to buy both and then figure it out later :)).

I think it's kinda ironic that you say that Selectrics are really reliable. Of the three typewriters that Halverson proxied through me, I think only one worked? But I also didn't know how to test them lol.

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #34 on: Thu, 05 November 2015, 12:39:58 »
We are on geekhack right? I think the obvious answer is to buy both and then figure it out later :)).

I think it's kinda ironic that you say that Selectrics are really reliable. Of the three typewriters that Halverson proxied through me, I think only one worked? But I also didn't know how to test them lol.

I've probably had 6 or 7 Selectrics go through my hands. Half of them probably needed very minimal work to get them back to 100%. Usually just a bit of oil and they were good to go.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #35 on: Thu, 05 November 2015, 12:40:38 »

mhmmm. The red/white combo is killer

200 ;_;

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #38 on: Thu, 05 November 2015, 12:49:03 »
Stupid question incoming:  What paper do I load in? Just regular 8x11 copy paper? Or like A4 paper?

Never mind, the US Navy is holding me down:

« Last Edit: Thu, 05 November 2015, 12:51:27 by CPTBadAss »

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #39 on: Thu, 05 November 2015, 12:51:15 »

Yeah the problem is... EU. shipping will make it $$$

will make it less $$$ than a Topre keyboard  ;D

I will say, a lot of my newer ones have come from Etsy shops that refurb them lately. They are often cheaper with shipping than refurb ones that are already stateside online. Having a perfectly tuned and working typewriter really makes it actually get used a lot more in my case, ones with small issues even can be annoying enough that they aren't worth the effort.

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #40 on: Thu, 05 November 2015, 12:53:17 »
Stupid question incoming:  What paper do I load in? Just regular 8x11 copy paper? Or like A4 paper?

Yup! It will really handle paper up to 9.5 inches wide, and as long as you want. Any Paper under 9.5 inches wide works, as the margins can be adjusted to automatically fit just about anything. Pretty much all typewriters allow for margins to be set as well.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #41 on: Thu, 05 November 2015, 12:54:22 »
Damn son....look how many WPM they're getting on a typewriter @.@

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #42 on: Thu, 05 November 2015, 12:56:57 »

Yeah the problem is... EU. shipping will make it $$$

will make it less $$$ than a Topre keyboard  ;D

I will say, a lot of my newer ones have come from Etsy shops that refurb them lately. They are often cheaper with shipping than refurb ones that are already stateside online. Having a perfectly tuned and working typewriter really makes it actually get used a lot more in my case, ones with small issues even can be annoying enough that they aren't worth the effort.

Yeah but topre is godly.

Gotta see my finances and decide. They're just so nice to look at I need one ;_;

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #44 on: Thu, 05 November 2015, 14:35:47 »

(Attachment Link)

I actually had one of these once. I honestly really liked it. Mine hummed loud as **** when it was on, but it was part of the experience. It is always nice to have a solid electric typewriter around even if you mostly have manuals just because the rate you can type at on an electric is quite a bit higher. Electric typewriters often have a higher chance of working as well usually! What a steal you got on yours.

The Hermes Baby is a classic, i have a few of those! Same with the Royal Quite De Luxe line. Olivetti typewriters have been my favorites for a while for handling actual work loads though. Extremely reliable.

Yeah, that hum actually helps me when I'm writing!

I don't think I have an Olivetti on my wish list. What do you recommend?

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #45 on: Thu, 05 November 2015, 15:52:55 »

(Attachment Link)

Yeah, that hum actually helps me when I'm writing!

I don't think I have an Olivetti on my wish list. What do you recommend?

The Lettera 22, 35, and Valentine are among my all time favorites, especially the Valentine.

Offline lolpes

« Reply #46 on: Thu, 05 November 2015, 16:20:54 »
I feel like i can ask this here, if you don't think it is appropriate feel free to let me know ;)

I am looking for a very specific typewritter, a triumph adler vsp 500, why? because it is one of the few i know that has a numpad. I found one a couple months ago bu i didn't have money for it, and now it is gone, so i am on a quest to find another, if someone knows where to find one or where to purchase one, please let me know, this is the only pic I have of it:

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #47 on: Thu, 05 November 2015, 16:22:20 »
I feel like i can ask this here, if you don't think it is appropriate feel free to let me know ;)

I am looking for a very specific typewritter, a triumph adler vsp 500, why? because it is one of the few i know that has a numpad. I found one a couple months ago bu i didn't have money for it, and now it is gone, so i am on a quest to find another, if someone knows where to find one or where to purchase one, please let me know, this is the only pic I have of it:

Show Image

as far as I'm concerned anything at all remotely related to typewriters belongs here  :thumb:

I've seen a few of those, never picked one up though. Very few do seem to have a numpad indeed.

Offline lolpes

« Reply #48 on: Thu, 05 November 2015, 16:31:20 »

Show Image

as far as I'm concerned anything at all remotely related to typewriters belongs here  :thumb:

I've seen a few of those, never picked one up though. Very few do seem to have a numpad indeed.

This one had a numbpad and if you look close it also has subscript red lettering which may be dyesubed or pad printed, because i doubt someone would put sticker just on certain keys, but hey it could happen :p I has a miammi odessa vibe to it with that red font that i loved ^^

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
  • on Buckling Springs since '88
    • http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com
« Reply #49 on: Thu, 05 November 2015, 20:12:03 »
Wow!  I never knew there was a typewriter with a numpad on it.  Very cool.