Author Topic: [IC] KAM_Superuser | GB: NOW LIVE UNTIL 2ND MARCH  (Read 183357 times)

Offline zaapiel

Re: [IC] KAM_Superuser | GB: FEBRUARY 2021 | New samples photos!
« Reply #300 on: Sat, 12 December 2020, 09:14:22 »
I'm designing my daily after this set. I love it and can't wait for the GB to begin.
« Last Edit: Sat, 12 December 2020, 09:16:16 by zaapiel »

Offline EdgeOfInfinity

« Reply #301 on: Sat, 12 December 2020, 15:37:35 »
really wishing we could see accent color split spacebars in the spacebar kit so you could build a candybar like the one pictures w/o buying 4 kits. awesome set tho, cant wait for GB to start!

Offline PuchuKing33

« Reply #302 on: Mon, 14 December 2020, 18:16:31 »
Any news or pictures on the cable? Would love to see a sample!

Offline paperassgasket

« Reply #303 on: Mon, 14 December 2020, 19:11:13 »
really wishing we could see accent color split spacebars in the spacebar kit so you could build a candybar like the one pictures w/o buying 4 kits. awesome set tho, cant wait for GB to start!
Ortho 40's kit + Alphas + Numpad should work

Offline EdgeOfInfinity

« Reply #304 on: Tue, 15 December 2020, 18:09:07 »
Ortho 40's kit + Alphas + Numpad should work

tyvm - oversight on my part. kitting on this set is complex haha.

Offline BraveOtter

« Reply #305 on: Thu, 17 December 2020, 15:38:10 »
I love then. Waiting for the group buy.

Offline Jhambone9160

« Reply #306 on: Thu, 17 December 2020, 15:53:35 »
The community needs to band together and speak with their wallets regarding future KAT/KAM sets. Nothing will change as long as MOQ keeps getting hit. One day MOQ will not get hit though and the hard work a designer has put into a KAT/KAM set will be all for nothing and it will not be the designers fault, other than choosing KAT/KAM as their platform. Hate to see a good idea wasted is all. Nice set. good luck.

I'm sure this set will hit MOQ because of flashy advertisement. Even if it will take 18 months to deliver.

Are you affiliated with keyreative?
« Last Edit: Thu, 17 December 2020, 16:39:36 by Jhambone9160 »

Offline sevenseacat

« Reply #307 on: Thu, 17 December 2020, 22:33:10 »
The community needs to band together and speak with their wallets regarding future KAT/KAM sets. Nothing will change as long as MOQ keeps getting hit. One day MOQ will not get hit though and the hard work a designer has put into a KAT/KAM set will be all for nothing and it will not be the designers fault, other than choosing KAT/KAM as their platform. Hate to see a good idea wasted is all. Nice set. good luck.

wait, what's this regarding?

Offline NoteMakoti

• for sale, baby shoes, never worn
« Reply #308 on: Thu, 17 December 2020, 22:58:59 »
He might be talking about the complex kitting, but honestly that's my favorite thing about KAT/KAM sets. I can pay for exactly what I want for whatever layout.

Offline Jhambone9160

« Reply #309 on: Thu, 17 December 2020, 23:04:38 »

KAT/KAM is absurdly behind schedule but yet people are still pumping out ICs...why? I honestly can not figure out why a designer would want to put their name behind a set that they will recieve backlash from the participants of. The gb is going to already be behind schedule before it even closes. Unless of course some designers are affiliated with keyreative, then it all makes sense.
« Last Edit: Thu, 17 December 2020, 23:06:20 by Jhambone9160 »

Offline psxndc

« Reply #310 on: Fri, 18 December 2020, 01:12:08 »
KAT/KAM is absurdly behind schedule but yet people are still pumping out ICs...why? I honestly can not figure out why a designer would want to put their name behind a set that they will recieve backlash from the participants of. The gb is going to already be behind schedule before it even closes.

Because maybe they like the way KAT/KAM feels? Because the kitting approach is frigging awesome and designers aren’t hamstrung into supporting only TKLs because that’s the only thing that’ll sell 250 units?

When GMK Thinkpad canceled the full ortho kit, one week into the GB, I was furious. Not because it was canceled, but because Voodoo looked at the numbers and decided “yeah, this isn’t going to work” and I couldn’t blame them for it.  The ortho kit was a brilliant offering, that a lot of folks, myself included, provided input on. I felt like it was a true IC that the community built and it got canned because of GMK’s MOQ approach.

KAT was a much needed alternative. The popularity is a testament to that. But a lot of things contributed to their backup - the popularity, COVID, growing pains with a new profile; it’s kinda hard to fault anyone for backlogs in 2020.

Unless of course some designers are affiliated with keyreative, then it all makes sense.

This is just asinine. Is this really what you think? Shilling is the only explanation?
Ortho. Always.

Offline eskimojo

• KeycapLendar
« Reply #311 on: Fri, 18 December 2020, 06:17:13 »

KAT/KAM is absurdly behind schedule but yet people are still pumping out ICs...why? I honestly can not figure out why a designer would want to put their name behind a set that they will recieve backlash from the participants of. The gb is going to already be behind schedule before it even closes. Unless of course some designers are affiliated with keyreative, then it all makes sense.

You seem to be peddling this conspiracy theory in multiple KAT/KAM IC/GB threads. Do you honestly think that the only possible explanation is that the designers are somehow "affiliated" with Keyreative?
« Last Edit: Fri, 18 December 2020, 07:18:21 by eskimojo »

Offline Runningtarrens

« Reply #312 on: Fri, 18 December 2020, 08:32:45 »
what are you talking GMK is way behind with all of their sets as well. the GMK laser was suppost te be shipped this month, they are delayed to april or even later because of the new german lockdown.

Offline Jhambone9160

« Reply #313 on: Fri, 18 December 2020, 09:14:08 »

You seem to be peddling this conspiracy theory in multiple KAT/KAM IC/GB threads. Do you honestly think that the only possible explanation is that the designers are somehow "affiliated" with Keyreative?

So I guess this is just the state of the hobby now. We're just that desperate that we have to support bad business practices? No wonder everything is delayed, there are no repercussions.

Designers are pushing sets for a profile that is currently 18 months lead time without mentioning that anywhere in the IC/GB. Designers are also devoting a significant amount of time to marketing the sets. KAT Cyperspace was the same way. I don't know what is worse, an admittedly self-made conspiracy theory that the manufacturer is funding the marketing for sets like this, or that the community is doing it to itself. So much greed.

Offline eskimojo

• KeycapLendar
« Reply #314 on: Fri, 18 December 2020, 09:23:08 »

So I guess this is just the state of the hobby now. We're just that desperate that we have to support bad business practices? No wonder everything is delayed, there are no repercussions.

Designers are pushing sets for a profile that is currently 18 months lead time without mentioning that anywhere in the IC/GB. Designers are also devoting a significant amount of time to marketing the sets. KAT Cyperspace was the same way. I don't know what is worse, an admittedly self-made conspiracy theory that the manufacturer is funding the marketing for sets like this, or that the community is doing it to itself. So much greed.

I think it's perfectly valid to question how wise it is to continue running KAT and KAM sets at this relatively high rate while Keyreative are struggling with QC and communication.

However, accusing designers of ulterior motives will immediately put people on the defensive, and discredits your argument.

Offline FreshFromTheGrave

« Reply #315 on: Fri, 18 December 2020, 10:22:02 »
Well, all I'm going to do is give my reasons for choosing KAM:

They are one of the few manufacturers who can actually produce this design. GMK can't do it, SP can't do it, ePBT can't do it yet, Drop/MT3 can't do it as far as I can tell, maybe Infinikey can do it and that's about it? The design is the leading factor in choosing a manufacturer and not something I would have considered compromising on, otherwise there's no point in doing it at all.

I wanted a uniform profile for this set for it's ease of kitting, flexibility for those with less common layouts and the aesthetic which to me fits the theme.

The MOQ system and pricing from Keyreative is attractive and ensures no kits get canned and everyone gets what they order.

Communication for me has been good enough, I've received my samples which were produced exactly per my requirements and were colour matched perfectly 1st time round. I'm just awaiting quotes now. So sure there probably are issues with lead times and comms but it was the best choice for this particular set, and I stand by it.

Offline psxndc

[IC] KAM_Superuser | GB: FEBRUARY 2021 | New samples photos!
« Reply #316 on: Fri, 18 December 2020, 14:28:51 »

So much greed.

What are you on about? There’s a global pandemic that’s mucking up entire economies and you want what? Keyboard fanatics to say “hold up! I refuse to accommodate this! I shall withhold my support, financial or otherwise, unless keycap companies overcome supply chain difficulties that others can’t!”

It seems like you’re saying the community needs perspective, but it’s not the community that needs to rethink its expectations here.

I’m genuinely curious what is driving this clearly personal beef with keyreative.
« Last Edit: Fri, 18 December 2020, 14:31:06 by psxndc »
Ortho. Always.

Offline geewiz

« Reply #317 on: Fri, 18 December 2020, 17:22:44 »
So much greed.

Don't want to rain on your parade, Don Quixote, but these are windmills.

Offline candravamsa

« Reply #318 on: Fri, 18 December 2020, 17:39:19 »

So much greed.

What are you on about? There’s a global pandemic that’s mucking up entire economies and you want what? Keyboard fanatics to say “hold up! I refuse to accommodate this! I shall withhold my support, financial or otherwise, unless keycap companies overcome supply chain difficulties that others can’t!”

This. Very well put.

Offline Jhambone9160

« Reply #319 on: Fri, 18 December 2020, 17:52:32 »
Buy the set. I would say I don't care, but I do, but that does not matter when the mindset of the enthusiast's in this hobby renforces that the product suppliers can do no wrong. Enjoy your 18 month wait. Enjoy the back lash from all the ill informed new-comers that buy this kit as their first set. Enjoy telling the people that wait 18 months for the kit that they will have to wait longer because the manufacturer did not do proper QC and that is why they are missing a key.

Offline psxndc

« Reply #320 on: Fri, 18 December 2020, 18:21:59 »
...Enjoy telling the people that wait 18 months for the kit that they will have to wait longer because the manufacturer did not do proper QC and that is why they are missing a key.

Of all the things you’ve complained about, this is the only one that seems legit. Yes, Keyreative had some QC issues. As far as I know, it was only with two sets. That’s not excusing them, and it’s entirely fair to be cautious for that reason. But your gripes seem to go well beyond QC (e.g., delays) and are all equally applicable to other manufacturers, you’re just singling them out for some reason.
Ortho. Always.

Offline sevenseacat

« Reply #321 on: Sat, 19 December 2020, 00:36:09 »
I think everyone knows specified timeframes are a fantasy at this point due to COVID - not just for KAT sets but for everything. We all still want to buy it anyway. So let's do it, I'm still looking forward to the set :)

Offline geewiz

« Reply #322 on: Sat, 19 December 2020, 04:23:04 »
I think everyone knows specified timeframes are a fantasy at this point due to COVID - not just for KAT sets but for everything. We all still want to buy it anyway. So let's do it, I'm still looking forward to the set :)

Exactly. I'm waiting for GMK sets I ordered ages ago like Dracula. I'm waiting for keyboards I ordered ages ago like M0lly. I'm waiting for KAM Wraith. I'm waiting for KAT Space Cadet. They're all affected the same way.

Offline U_Mage25

« Reply #323 on: Sat, 19 December 2020, 22:22:25 »
Enjoy the back lash from all the ill informed new-comers that buy this kit as their first set.

Literally my first set, damn happy to be getting these beautiful caps and well aware of how supply chains are in disarray rn

Offline winsome

« Reply #324 on: Sun, 20 December 2020, 01:34:28 »
can't wait! love this set   :thumb:

Offline Jhambone9160

« Reply #325 on: Sun, 20 December 2020, 19:59:33 »
...Enjoy telling the people that wait 18 months for the kit that they will have to wait longer because the manufacturer did not do proper QC and that is why they are missing a key.

Of all the things you’ve complained about, this is the only one that seems legit. Yes, Keyreative had some QC issues. As far as I know, it was only with two sets. That’s not excusing them, and it’s entirely fair to be cautious for that reason. But your gripes seem to go well beyond QC (e.g., delays) and are all equally applicable to other manufacturers, you’re just singling them out for some reason.

Just saying, looks like KAT eternal is still having issues and KAM Little pilot is missing keys...let's keep blindly defending keyreative though. Literally every set they make has QC issues, along with comically long delays, and terrible communication. But yes, I'm just singling out keyreative...of course.
« Last Edit: Sun, 20 December 2020, 20:15:32 by Jhambone9160 »

Offline JJ48_24

« Reply #326 on: Mon, 21 December 2020, 09:26:57 »
I all ready bought cyberspace and now this comes out. ughhhhhhh

Offline psxndc

« Reply #327 on: Mon, 21 December 2020, 10:56:09 »
Good thing the keycap equation is n = k+1 where n is the number of keycaps you need and k is the number of keycaps you have.
Ortho. Always.

« Reply #328 on: Mon, 21 December 2020, 12:14:10 »

Offline dibstern

« Reply #329 on: Wed, 23 December 2020, 00:43:58 »
I’m liking this more and more, even with my KAT Cyberspace coming in Feb. Argh. Any pricing estimates?

Offline sevenseacat

« Reply #330 on: Wed, 23 December 2020, 06:53:37 »
Haha your KAT Cyberspace won't be coming anywhere near February, sorry :P

Offline bluephoenixra

« Reply #331 on: Wed, 23 December 2020, 16:59:41 »
I'm soo interested in this! I need it now.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #332 on: Thu, 24 December 2020, 13:54:57 »
I'm soo interested in this! I need it now.

You may have to wait a year, or even more. Train your patience.
« Last Edit: Thu, 24 December 2020, 14:04:44 by ideus »

Offline br4n_d0n

« Reply #333 on: Sat, 26 December 2020, 01:22:39 »
It seems like 40% ortholinear users kind of get screwed with the current sets.  :(

Offline psxndc

« Reply #334 on: Sat, 26 December 2020, 01:42:16 »
It seems like 40% ortholinear users kind of get screwed with the current sets.  :(
How so? The 40s ortho options are pretty dope imho.
Ortho. Always.

Offline br4n_d0n

« Reply #335 on: Sat, 26 December 2020, 16:41:06 »
If I have a planck like build I'd need to purchase the base kit plus the ortho which comes with 33 keys or more that I would never use and most likely make it cost more

Offline geewiz

« Reply #336 on: Sat, 26 December 2020, 16:45:20 »
If I have a planck like build I'd need to purchase the base kit plus the ortho which comes with 33 keys or more that I would never use and most likely make it cost more

If I'm not mistaken, you'd just need the alphas kit and one of the 40s ortho kits. That's a very common way to cover ortho boards.

While KAT/KAM would allow for even more specialised kits with less overhead for specific boards, the combinatorial complexity would eventually become unmanageable for the manufacturer and the vendors. I'd rather get a few keys too many (that would allow me to put the kit on a different board as well) than have vendors pass on the GB because of the logistical nightmare.
« Last Edit: Sat, 26 December 2020, 16:50:52 by geewiz »

Offline br4n_d0n

« Reply #337 on: Sat, 26 December 2020, 17:04:59 »
I get it. I'm just saying it would be nice to not have to buy the extra keycaps that I will never use and most likely never be able to even sell.

Offline psxndc

« Reply #338 on: Sat, 26 December 2020, 19:24:18 »
I get it. I'm just saying it would be nice to not have to buy the extra keycaps that I will never use and most likely never be able to even sell.
So what exactly are you asking for? Separate the 40s/ortho kit into two separate kits, one for 40s and one for ortho? You should put your request into actionable terms.
Ortho. Always.

Offline br4n_d0n

« Reply #339 on: Sat, 26 December 2020, 20:43:51 »
It would be nice if the kits were split a little bit more like you say or something like the set below, but I'm not going to ask for the unreasonable if there is little, to no demand or if it's just not cost effective.

Offline trimegistus555

« Reply #340 on: Mon, 28 December 2020, 22:38:29 »
This is it!

Offline mrvco

« Reply #341 on: Tue, 29 December 2020, 22:55:10 »
I'll be happy to join this GB regardless of the wait time (after 2020, 2021 is going to be so awesome that 2022 will be here before we know it  :p).  Regardless of Keyreatives current backlog, KAM is the right and best choice for this set.

Offline MdotMaxson

« Reply #342 on: Wed, 30 December 2020, 06:24:39 »
Sometimes I wonder if the people who make KAT and KAM regret offering designers unlimited kits so long as the total keys sold breaks X number of keys lol. People have more kits than they have keys sometimes.

Offline dibstern

« Reply #343 on: Wed, 30 December 2020, 06:43:21 »
Haha your KAT Cyberspace won't be coming anywhere near February, sorry :P

What!? Noooo!!! Daily Clack I thought you keep updated estimates :(

Also I’m definitely in for this. Agh.

Offline mrvco

« Reply #344 on: Wed, 30 December 2020, 11:50:48 »
Dumb question, but having never owned or used an 'ergo' keyboard I have to ask.  I know that KAM is non-sculpted and caps can be moved from row to row as desired for a given size (I'm typing on a KAM set now).  Is there any reason that the caps in the 'Ergo Blanks' kit wouldn't be usable as standard blanks in a non-ergo layout?  And is there any difference (e.g. stem placement) between the horizontal and vertical 1.5U caps?
« Last Edit: Wed, 30 December 2020, 11:54:26 by mrvco »

« Reply #345 on: Wed, 30 December 2020, 13:18:45 »
Dumb question, but having never owned or used an 'ergo' keyboard I have to ask.  I know that KAM is non-sculpted and caps can be moved from row to row as desired for a given size (I'm typing on a KAM set now).  Is there any reason that the caps in the 'Ergo Blanks' kit wouldn't be usable as standard blanks in a non-ergo layout?  And is there any difference (e.g. stem placement) between the horizontal and vertical 1.5U caps?

They should just be standard keys, no difference between the horizontal and vertical :) The main reason for the blanks (apart from those who just like blanks) is to give some support for Redox boards and the like.

Offline mrvco

« Reply #346 on: Thu, 31 December 2020, 14:38:44 »
Thanks, I like having some blanks around just in case.

Offline SwordLaker

« Reply #347 on: Fri, 01 January 2021, 02:42:45 »
I assume there is going to be MOQ for each kit? What happens when a mod kit doesn't meet MOQ? I'm stuck with a set of alpha?

I've just found out how KAM MOQ works. It's odd, but that answered my concern.
« Last Edit: Fri, 01 January 2021, 02:46:31 by SwordLaker »

Offline Alejo1707

• Gimme some more caps!
« Reply #348 on: Fri, 01 January 2021, 05:48:12 »
Very interested!

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

Offline zaapiel

« Reply #349 on: Sat, 02 January 2021, 01:21:03 »
Saw the custom N65 Superuser and mat on the Discord. Those look sick.