Author Topic: Ulnar Nerve Entrapment  (Read 5042 times)

Offline Kavik

Ulnar Nerve Entrapment
« on: Fri, 16 October 2020, 10:04:05 »
Occasionally, I'll get a strange, annoying feeling deep in the rear of my armpit. I especially got this frequently a couple years ago and always assumed it was related to my shirt sleeves riding up too high and/or fatness preventing my arms from hanging completely straight down.

Last night, I woke up with a very severe case of this. The sensation pulsed from my armpit through my elbow and forearm and made my ring and pinky fingers tingle. The symptoms were so clear this time that I decided to google it and found Ulnar Nerve Entrapment or Cubital Tunnel Syndrome (not sure if they're exactly the same). It's basically like hitting one's "funny bone" (same nerve), but the sensation lasts longer and runs from the armpit through the whole arm. It also causes temporary grip weakness. I was able to straighten and rotate my arm in certain ways and get back to sleep. I presume it is caused by sleeping with one of my shoulders in total flexion (arm above head), which probably tugs on that nerve or puts pressure on it. At least, now I know what it is. Now that I think about it, I used to wake up with a noticeably weak grip sometimes that lasted for a few minutes; maybe it was related to this.

Does anyone else ever experience this? Apparently, it's no big deal if it's intermittent, but if it's long-lasting (weeks at a time) it can cause permanent muscle atrophy in the hand.

Basically I need to sleep in a full body cast or in zero gravity because this isn't the only problem I've had caused by sleeping position.
« Last Edit: Fri, 16 October 2020, 11:41:23 by Kavik »
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
Re: Ulnar Nerve Entrapment
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 16 October 2020, 10:08:04 »
Surely there is some type of sleeping shirt that will keep you sleeping in a healthier position.  Your description sounds very uncomfortable.  I hope it can be resolved.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 16 October 2020, 16:00:45 »
If back-sleeping doesn't help .. Try m0ar Veggie. It could be arthritic in nature/ inflammation compressing nerve.

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 18 October 2020, 10:14:27 »
I dislocated and fractured my right elbow in New Hampshire snowboarding about 22 years ago. It was a 4 hour ride to the hospital. I felt like I was hitting my funny-bone (ulnar) nerve for the entire time. I told the nurses to kill me (which they almost did with mass amounts of valium on top of the morphine). I woke up with my arm reattached but with chunks of bone all wandering in the area. I did a year of physical therapy, had a custom spring-loaded arm-straightener, and saw every hand and elbow doc in the Philly area. I was told that even if I got surgery, there was a chance I'd never straighten my arm again anyhow... plus they'd have to move my ulnar nerve to the outside of the joint. I opted to not have surgery.

Two decades later I still can't straighten my arm, it hurts like **** if I sleep on it, my pinky is always numb, etc.

Take care of that **** sooner than later, IMO.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 18 October 2020, 12:39:32 »
I dislocated and fractured my right elbow in New Hampshire snowboarding about 22 years ago. It was a 4 hour ride to the hospital. I felt like I was hitting my funny-bone (ulnar) nerve for the entire time. I told the nurses to kill me (which they almost did with mass amounts of valium on top of the morphine). I woke up with my arm reattached but with chunks of bone all wandering in the area. I did a year of physical therapy, had a custom spring-loaded arm-straightener, and saw every hand and elbow doc in the Philly area. I was told that even if I got surgery, there was a chance I'd never straighten my arm again anyhow... plus they'd have to move my ulnar nerve to the outside of the joint. I opted to not have surgery.

Two decades later I still can't straighten my arm, it hurts like **** if I sleep on it, my pinky is always numb, etc.

Fantastic Story ABsyrd-Fren..

Tp4 has decided early in lyfe to Nevar-Outside.   Your wisdom strengthens Tp4's Resolve.

Will sit patiently, waiting to be uploaded 2 the cloud.

Offline Kavik

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 20 October 2020, 18:07:17 »

That sounds awful. I can only imagine that moving the nerve to the outside of the joint would make it even easier to hit it on stuff.

Except for this particular episode, mine has never ventured beyond temporary discomfort, so I doubt there's anything to be done about it. I think I just need to be aware of it so that I can avoid putting myself in a position to irritate it. Mostly, this middle-of-the-night episode of pain elucidated what the weird feeling in my armpit has been all these years because it connected different symptoms into something concrete, so maybe it was a good thing.

Offline yui

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 21 October 2020, 09:27:49 »

Tp4 has decided early in lyfe to Nevar-Outside.   Your wisdom strengthens Tp4's Resolve.

Will sit patiently, waiting to be uploaded 2 the cloud. [/size][/color]
funny there is a game about peoples getting uploaded to the cloud, and it does not goes well to say the least, memory censorship, paywalls and the company going under may be in your future :)
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 21 October 2020, 09:30:13 »

That sounds awful. I can only imagine that moving the nerve to the outside of the joint would make it even easier to hit it on stuff.

Except for this particular episode, mine has never ventured beyond temporary discomfort, so I doubt there's anything to be done about it. I think I just need to be aware of it so that I can avoid putting myself in a position to irritate it. Mostly, this middle-of-the-night episode of pain elucidated what the weird feeling in my armpit has been all these years because it connected different symptoms into something concrete, so maybe it was a good thing.

I have to sleep with my arm straight out as possible under my pillow under my head. If I wake up with it folded in any odd position, the pain and numbness is set to high.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 21 October 2020, 11:54:37 »

Will sit patiently, waiting to be uploaded 2 the cloud. [/size][/color]
funny there is a game about peoples getting uploaded to the cloud, and it does not goes well to say the least, memory censorship, paywalls and the company going under may be in your future :)

Tp4 has little doubt that Tp4's Irrationalities-of-Will once digitized would overwhelm and overtake the whole of cyberspace.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 21 October 2020, 11:57:17 »
I have to sleep with my arm straight out as possible under my pillow under my head. If I wake up with it folded in any odd position, the pain and numbness is set to high.

TP4 went from a normally side-sleeper to back sleeper. This took many months of training.   The purpose was similarly arm issues, particularly Shoulder compressive pain.

In the back sleeping position. Tp4 rests hands right above the hip bone. Tp4 has tried leaving them at the side, but the elbows felt hyperextended in the mornings if left in that position.

Offline Kavik

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 22 October 2020, 10:18:00 »
This morning was the third time this has been bad enough to prevent me from falling back asleep for an hour or two, although not as bad as the first time. I had to down some Aleve and Tylenol to doze back off. I guess it's time to see my doctor about it, even though he won't do anything useful. I've been off my thyroid hormone medicine for a couple weeks since it hasn't been refilled (no word from doctor about this. pharmacy says it needs doc authorization and then never fills it after requesting authorization). I've been reading that hypothyroidism is a risk factor for this, so maybe just getting my med refilled will resolve it.

I did try sleeping on my back last night, which helped at first. I'm not sure why I can't remain on my back since that's how I always sleep away from home (camping, friend's house, hotel, etc.). Once the issue starts, switching back to the supine position does nothing, at least not immediately.

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 22 October 2020, 11:10:58 »
Yeah. Get that **** taken care of. I have found that gabapentin does wonders for nerve pain (as well as being a mood stabilizer on the side). You can see a neurologist if your family doc won't try it.

Damn thyroid. Can cause so many issues. Blood test time.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 22 October 2020, 11:59:23 »
Yeah. Get that **** taken care of. I have found that gabapentin does wonders for nerve pain (as well as being a mood stabilizer on the side). You can see a neurologist if your family doc won't try it.

Damn thyroid. Can cause so many issues. Blood test time.

It's all dem' nukz 'murica tested on its own soil.  The wind blows the radioactivo dusto all over the continent.

Offline Kavik

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 25 May 2021, 15:20:05 »
It's weird that this was such a big issue for me a few months ago, so much so that I was going to seek treatment for it, and then I completely forgot it was even happening. Maybe I stopped leaving my elbows bent for long periods of time, and it resolved itself.

Regarding my thyroid issue, which I thought might be causing it, I got that retested before refilling the prescription, and apparently, that issue also resolved itself, so I no longer need that medicine, which is weird since I was under the impression that's a lifelong problem.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 25 May 2021, 15:57:06 »
It were covid, and dat vaccine cured kavik ?

Offline Kavik

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 10 March 2022, 02:05:50 »
This is back with a vengeance. I'm fairly confident it's related to weight lifting, specifically the press and bench press because they put so much compression on my palm. It mostly occurs when I go to bed and first wake up, but it's also been bothering me when I'm awake. It's in both arms, but it's significantly worse in my left arm. Grasping things with my hands causes a catching and zinging pain in my palms, sometimes my fingers go numb (usually the pinky and ring, but a couple times the middle and index), my elbow feels a varying intensity of a strike to the "funny bone", my armpit feel an uncomfortable pressing feeling, and reaching for things causes a tugging feeling from my armpit to my hand (as though the nerve were a rope being pulled taut). Last night, an intense pressure/throbbing pain on a dime sized area of my right palm started out of nowhere and lasted a minute or two.

I see my doctor about it tomorrow (I never did last time because it went away, coinciding with when I stopped lifting because of my shoulder problem). I'm not sure what he'll do about it besides tell me to stop all activity. I've been making significant progress in weightlifting the past few months after several years of a plateau, so I hope that's not the cause; even though, it most likely is. The only other potential causes I can think of are using wrist wraps when I lift, gaining body weight, and excess sodium's causing edema that presses on the nerves.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 10 March 2022, 09:25:51 »
Tp4 recommends a Whole Food Plant Based Bodybuilding.

Greatly cuts down in inflammation.

Nimai Delgado,  has never eaten meat, EVER

Offline kurplop

• THE HERO WE DON'T DESERVE
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 10 March 2022, 15:31:18 »
Unfortunately, it is possible that the weightlifting is exacerbating your condition. That’s a tough one to take when you enjoy gym time and seeing strength and hypertrophic improvements. Take it from an old veteran of weightlifting and pain management; try avoiding inflaming the area that is causing the problem (sounds like the shoulder) for a while. Concentrate on pulling movements for the upper body, core, and leg work. Give it the time it take to relax the afflicted area, then reintroduce the pushing movements gradually. This may be a good time to add aerobic activity if you aren’t including it now.

I put together a home gym last year and got back into training. I’ve had bouts of patellar tendonitis, a tricep tendon injury and bicep tendon ossification (both unrelated to training), and lower back soreness. Taking a break from working those body parts was all that was necessary for the body to heal. You don’t need to avoid the gym. I recommend a book called Rebuilding Milo. It’s available on Amazon. It may offer some ideas that could help.

Recovery takes longer at my age (67) than yours but I had a tendency to overtrain even when I was 20. It’s easy to overtrain. Remember, growth only comes after the muscle stimulus. Give it the time it needs to recover.

Offline Kavik

« Reply #18 on: Sat, 12 March 2022, 02:41:37 »
Unfortunately, it is possible that the weightlifting is exacerbating your condition. That’s a tough one to take when you enjoy gym time and seeing strength and hypertrophic improvements. Take it from an old veteran of weightlifting and pain management; try avoiding inflaming the area that is causing the problem (sounds like the shoulder) for a while. Concentrate on pulling movements for the upper body, core, and leg work. Give it the time it take to relax the afflicted area, then reintroduce the pushing movements gradually. This may be a good time to add aerobic activity if you aren’t including it now.

I put together a home gym last year and got back into training. I’ve had bouts of patellar tendonitis, a tricep tendon injury and bicep tendon ossification (both unrelated to training), and lower back soreness. Taking a break from working those body parts was all that was necessary for the body to heal. You don’t need to avoid the gym. I recommend a book called Rebuilding Milo. It’s available on Amazon. It may offer some ideas that could help.

Recovery takes longer at my age (67) than yours but I had a tendency to overtrain even when I was 20. It’s easy to overtrain. Remember, growth only comes after the muscle stimulus. Give it the time it needs to recover.

Thanks for the advice. I know resting now and avoiding making it worse will actually be faster than pushing myself until I absolutely can't do anything and hurting it further. I had one injury a while back that probably would have been fine if I'd stopped everything for a couple weeks, but I ended up making it so bad it lasted for two years. Incorporating some different exercises is actually a great idea since I mostly focus on just the compound powerlifting exercises. I'll check out that book as well.

My doctor thinks it's carpal tunnel syndrome instead of ulnar nerve entrapment (I think it could be both), given the pain in my palms. He tapped the undersides of my wrists during the exam, and I felt electric shocks, which apparently isn't normal. I have a curse where my symptoms improve substantially the day I have a doctor's visit, so I think he could have missed the issue with my ulnar nerve since it didn't hurt much at that moment. He referred me to another doctor for an EMG test, so I guess that will specify the diagnosis.

Anyway, he gave me a steroid and anti-inflammatory and told me to sleep with a wrist splint. Last night with the wrist splint was the first night in a week or two that my sleep hasn't been interrupted by extreme pain/discomfort. Today was the first day on the steroid, and there's definitely an improvement, mainly in my elbow and armpit. My hands are still screwed up but a little better too, I guess.

Offline kurplop

« Reply #19 on: Sat, 12 March 2022, 04:48:04 »
I had carpel tunnel release surgery about ten years ago and it helped a lot. I had the tingling, numbness, and pain from CTS for over 40 years. CTS usually just affects the sensory nerves in the thumb and the two or three adjacent fingers so I think you might be right about the ulnar nerves involvement.

I hesitated getting the CT surgery because I didn’t want to be unable to work (construction) for an extended period of time but was able to swing a hammer within two weeks and fully healed in just over a month. I’ve heard that ulnar nerve problems are more problematic to solve. I wish you the best.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #20 on: Sat, 12 March 2022, 04:51:46 »
I had carpel tunnel release surgery about ten years ago and it helped a lot. I had the tingling, numbness, and pain from CTS for over 40 years. CTS usually just affects the sensory nerves in the thumb and the two or three adjacent fingers so I think you might be right about the ulnar nerves involvement.

I hesitated getting the CT surgery because I didn’t want to be unable to work (construction) for an extended period of time but was able to swing a hammer within two weeks and fully healed in just over a month. I’ve heard that ulnar nerve problems are more problematic to solve. I wish you the best.

Tp4 has CT from piano,  how bad does it have to get to warrant surgery ?

Offline kurplop

« Reply #21 on: Sat, 12 March 2022, 05:02:35 »

Tp4 has CT from piano,  how bad does it have to get to warrant surgery ?

I’d say to let pain and function guide the decision but realize that if it gets bad enough the symptoms may be irreversible. I was told that my tests indicated that my case was so bad that I may never recover fully but I have. The doctor told me that it doesn’t work as well for everyone but, given the relatively quick recovery time and minimal risk, I think it’s worth the try.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #22 on: Sat, 12 March 2022, 05:05:06 »
I’d say to let pain and function guide the decision but realize that if it gets bad enough the symptoms may be irreversible. I was told that my tests indicated that my case was so bad that I may never recover fully but I have. The doctor told me that it doesn’t work as well for everyone but, given the relatively quick recovery time and minimal risk, I think it’s worth the try.

Thx for deets. :D

Offline kurplop

« Reply #23 on: Sat, 12 March 2022, 05:10:01 »
As a side note, when I cut three of my fingertips off on my left hand, it barely hurt. My hand specialist, who had done the CT release on my right hand a couple years earlier, thought that was a pretty good indicator that I needed the procedure on the left as well.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #24 on: Sat, 12 March 2022, 05:22:25 »
As a side note, when I cut three of my fingertips off on my left hand, it barely hurt. My hand specialist, who had done the CT release on my right hand a couple years earlier, thought that was a pretty good indicator that I needed the procedure on the left as well.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #25 on: Sat, 12 March 2022, 07:48:58 »

when I cut three of my fingertips off on my left hand, it barely hurt.

Wasn't that because you were building a stunning keyboard?
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline kurplop

« Reply #26 on: Sat, 12 March 2022, 07:57:05 »

when I cut three of my fingertips off on my left hand, it barely hurt.

Wasn't that because you were building a stunning keyboard?

No, but it was during that era and thanks for the complement.  It was a jointer accident.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #27 on: Sat, 12 March 2022, 11:53:11 »
No, but it was during that era and thanks for the complement.  It was a jointer accident.

Tp4 was just looking @ jointers. But 2spensive.

Offline kurplop

« Reply #28 on: Sat, 12 March 2022, 15:15:18 »

Tp4 was just looking @ jointers. But 2spensive.

I noticed that the last time I was looking through a Grizzly catalog. I’m glad I bought my stuff when I did.