Author Topic: [IC]Axolstudio Yeti: Gasket alice-layout (Updated 7/13/21, Sound test, demo)  (Read 44444 times)

Offline elmo

• Hello I like keyboards
    • Elmo's keyboards
Re: [IC] Yeti: Alice Gasket Mounted with extra heft (Prototype Gallery Included)
« Reply #50 on: Wed, 23 December 2020, 02:55:18 »
Lacking of LED indicator was intentional?

most custom boards don't have indicator LEDs

Offline AxolStudio

• Axol Studio
Re: [IC] Yeti: Alice Gasket Mounted with extra heft (Prototype Gallery Included)
« Reply #51 on: Mon, 28 December 2020, 18:06:49 »
Lacking of LED indicator was intentional?

Yes it was, Im personally not a fan of the indicators and didn't want them. I have a version with the LEDs and I didn't like how it turned out which is why it wont be featured.

Offline gex

this reminds me the previous generation of macbooks (especially in that silver) which is a good thing as it was the most beautiful computer mankind ever made. i dunno about keyboard cases but i felt i must buy this immediately i saw the renders. regarding the details, i prefer having the yeti inside (liked the explanation of Captain Apathy) and no visible indicators. i filled the feedback form and wish you (and myself) a successful gb!

Offline AxolStudio

• Axol Studio
this reminds me the previous generation of macbooks (especially in that silver) which is a good thing as it was the most beautiful computer mankind ever made. i dunno about keyboard cases but i felt i must buy this immediately i saw the renders. regarding the details, i prefer having the yeti inside (liked the explanation of Captain Apathy) and no visible indicators. i filled the feedback form and wish you (and myself) a successful gb!

Thank you! Unfortunately due to popular demand and almost every single feedback form I've gotten the yeti will be on the outside. I understand where you're coming from and personally my own choice would be to keep the yeti on the inside however I feel that having the yeti on the outside of the case adds more character to the board. Thank you for the feedback!

Offline Finite

• peer pressured into mk hobby, pls send help
Hoping this will be my first Alice inspired board, but those bezels on the left and right are a little too thick in the prototype compared to the renders. I still love it, here's hoping the price is nice!

Offline AxolStudio

• Axol Studio
Hoping this will be my first Alice inspired board, but those bezels on the left and right are a little too thick in the prototype compared to the renders. I still love it, here's hoping the price is nice!

Have you checked the image gallery? The bezel difference from the protos and the renders might just simply be due to the lighting and the angles. I can assure you that the render files used here are the ones that were sent to production so there should be no difference. I have checked over the files and made sure that it was within tolerances. Thanks for the kind words!

Offline CookieFlow

This Yeti is the cutest thing ever !

Sadly I don't think I could use a board without arrows, and I doubt this is a change that would be considered :(

Offline AxolStudio

• Axol Studio
This Yeti is the cutest thing ever !

Sadly I don't think I could use a board without arrows, and I doubt this is a change that would be considered :(

At this point and this late into the design unfortunately arrows wont be added however consider using layers, you can map arrows to the keys anyways c:

Offline CookieFlow

Totally understandable.

I tried using layers or functions on 60% in the past, but as a programmer I use arrows way too often that I need dedicated ones.

It's pretty difficult to find Alice style boards with them, and this rounded design with the cute Yeti is awesome but sadly I don't think I could use it myself.

Offline ReverbSlush

• 16/52 RNG score
Totally understandable.

I tried using layers or functions on 60% in the past, but as a programmer I use arrows way too often that I need dedicated ones.

It's pretty difficult to find Alice style boards with them, and this rounded design with the cute Yeti is awesome but sadly I don't think I could use it myself.

It took me about a month to get fully vested in the HHKB layout...  I have more issues with smaller boards ditching / and ' these days.   If you work at it though you can survive as a programmer without arrows for sure.  I promise!

Offline CookieFlow

Totally understandable.

It took me about a month to get fully vested in the HHKB layout...  I have more issues with smaller boards ditching / and ' these days.   If you work at it though you can survive as a programmer without arrows for sure.  I promise!

You are right, I'm sure you get used to it.
I misworded it.
I have several boards and I like to change between them fairly frequently, and all of them have arrows so in that sense it would be a lot harder to get used to. If I was only using a layout without them, I would eventually get up to speed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 14 January 2021, 08:13:52 by CookieFlow »

Offline AxolStudio

• Axol Studio
Updated 03/16/2021

Offline mariachiforhire

i love the design ... wish the yeti was at the bottom of the board.

Offline AxolStudio

• Axol Studio
i love the design ... wish the yeti was at the bottom of the board.

Its added onto the bottom, will update onto the post

Offline ReverbSlush

• 16/52 RNG score
Love the color choices.  Making it hard to choose (that’s a good thing!)

Offline andromache

The pink polycarb looks like it's going to be amazing. I love this.

Offline AxolStudio

• Axol Studio
The pink polycarb looks like it's going to be amazing. I love this.

Love the color choices.  Making it hard to choose (that’s a good thing!)

Thanks for the kind words! The colours went through many iterations and it was a struggle for me to decide on which colours to choose. Glad you like them

Offline Bub

• big bub's beepers
Looking forward to this! GLWIC

Offline hexa

Echoing the great colors, excited for this one!

Offline Xyzzyka

I liked the inner yeti/plainer bottom too... shame the weight’s not flippable. Pondering this anyhow!

Offline Milky_Mooncake

When i saw that pink polycarbonate case i was so excited about it until i saw KDBFans is the only vendor. :C
had to pay 40 euros in customs for an 22 dollar switch tester, never again
« Last Edit: Wed, 12 May 2021, 03:39:46 by Milky_Mooncake »

Offline AxolStudio

• Axol Studio
When i saw that pink polycarbonate case i was so excited about it until i saw KDBFans is the only vendor. :C

Glad to see that you like the board! Unfortunately for the customs thing that is tied into the EU region. Even if there was another vendor that was local in Europe, they would still have to pay for VAT and other customs fees and that cost will still be passed onto you in the form of a higher base price. I hope you understand that this isn't really a KBDFans issue however mainly just Europe really likes its import taxes. That being said, if you still find import costs unreasonable that's perfectly fine, please make financially responsible decisions.

Offline uamaxim

This looks like my dream board; gasket mount PC alice with a PC plate, but I wish there was a more neutral color option for the polycarbonate :(

Offline Tomn

Saw this on KBDFANS, looks really cute!

Offline WilsonWan

Glad to see that you like the board! Unfortunately for the customs thing that is tied into the EU region. Even if there was another vendor that was local in Europe, they would still have to pay for VAT and other customs fees and that cost will still be passed onto you in the form of a higher base price. I hope you understand that this isn't really a KBDFans issue however mainly just Europe really likes its import taxes. That being said, if you still find import costs unreasonable that's perfectly fine, please make financially responsible decisions.

Nice little cute alice! im almost certain to get one.

Regarding regional vendors, i think it is still worth getting a local vendor for UK/EU etc if you can because import cost also has courier fee which can be completely avoided with a vendor, meaning we are only subject to VAT rather than VAT + duties + courier fee

Offline yicaoyimu

No stepped caps? Is there a reason?
KMAC2 - Matrix Lab 8XV2.0 - TGR Jane v2 CE - KBD8X MKII - Meridian - Matrix Lab Noah - Fallacy x2 - MGA Standard - Geon Frog mini - Amano - Ciel60 - Prime_Elise - Matrix Lab 6XV3.0 aka Corsa

Offline AxolStudio

• Axol Studio

Its there, just not updated into the lastest version of the images.

Offline yicaoyimu

Its there, just not updated into the lastest version of the images.

Thanks! I can't read..
KMAC2 - Matrix Lab 8XV2.0 - TGR Jane v2 CE - KBD8X MKII - Meridian - Matrix Lab Noah - Fallacy x2 - MGA Standard - Geon Frog mini - Amano - Ciel60 - Prime_Elise - Matrix Lab 6XV3.0 aka Corsa

Offline Curin Derwin

Indicators aside: Will the PCBs have LEDs for keys?

Offline AxolStudio

• Axol Studio

There will not be LEDs for caps lock, however there will be RGB backlighting for the hotswap version of the pcb.

Offline Curin Derwin

There will not be LEDs for caps lock, however there will be RGB backlighting for the hotswap version of the pcb.

Thank you. What material will the gaskets be?

Offline AxolStudio

• Axol Studio

Thank you. What material will the gaskets be?

Poron

Offline mintyfruits

When is this projected to ship? I scoured the KBDFans page and the Axol site and couldn’t find it. :( mobile only though, so might be a formatting thing.

Offline AxolStudio

• Axol Studio
When is this projected to ship? I scoured the KBDFans page and the Axol site and couldn’t find it. :( mobile only though, so might be a formatting thing.

Currently, no projected time as the GB is unlimited. With how messy the current global situation is and how easily it is for lead times to shift especially when manufacturing time is linearly tied to the number of units sold, we cant give you an answer until the GB closes. Hope that answers your question

Offline mintyfruits

Currently, no projected time as the GB is unlimited. With how messy the current global situation is and how easily it is for lead times to shift especially when manufacturing time is linearly tied to the number of units sold, we cant give you an answer until the GB closes. Hope that answers your question

It certainly does! And that’s completely understandable. Thanks much for clarifying. Now I just have to pick a colour. :)

Offline jdbaker82

I don't see a ETA on production delivery once GB ends on Aug 15?

Offline mintyfruits

Hi all, another question for you. I’ve been away from building boards for a while and brass plates were still relatively new when I was last building. I’m a bit torn and uncertain on which plate to choose. I’ve read that brass plates can get dirty. Is this true? Are there any stability concerns on the half plate options?

Insights and opinions would be very valued. :)

Offline AxolStudio

• Axol Studio
Hi all, another question for you. I’ve been away from building boards for a while and brass plates were still relatively new when I was last building. I’m a bit torn and uncertain on which plate to choose. I’ve read that brass plates can get dirty. Is this true? Are there any stability concerns on the half plate options?

Insights and opinions would be very valued. :)

Brass, like all predominantly copper alloys, will patina over time as a result of oxidation. Most of the time brass pieces arent coated and will get "dirty" over time. In terms of stability for half plate nothing to worry about as long as you use a soldered pcb. The option to purchase a hotswap pcb along with a half plate has been disabled due to reliability and stability concerns.

Hope this answers your questions.

Offline vi0till

Will hotswap pcb support stepped capslock?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline HappyB0T

• I'm a Piggie
Those prototypes really resonated how cool this board is - couldn't get that from the renders for some reason. Great work. Generally I have passed on keyboards that had overstated logos on them. This is one I could be very happy with but I am sure for some it would be a turn off. Possibly having 2 versions of weights is a viable solution. Having 2 / 3 types of bottoms might be harder to QC. Excited to see what you go with. This is the first Alice style that I really have liked and would ever consider. Fantastic job!

Offline matchaboba

Those prototypes really resonated how cool this board is - couldn't get that from the renders for some reason. Great work. Generally I have passed on keyboards that had overstated logos on them. This is one I could be very happy with but I am sure for some it would be a turn off. Possibly having 2 versions of weights is a viable solution. Having 2 / 3 types of bottoms might be harder to QC. Excited to see what you go with. This is the first Alice style that I really have liked and would ever consider. Fantastic job!
GB is live! Check out KBDFans.