Author Topic: [IC] GMK Bingsu R2 [GB Starts July 7]  (Read 59122 times)

Offline Project Keyboard

• Project Keyboard
[IC] GMK Bingsu R2 [GB Starts July 7]
« on: Sat, 12 June 2021, 08:53:20 »

GMK BINGSU R2
your favorite summertime dessert is back!

KITTING

Base kit covers most common layouts with terminal-ISO support with accent modifiers.
More

Hangul kit has been reverted back to a child kit. Includes extra B and mod pipe for aesthetic support.
More

Spacebar kit covers split, alice (extra B), and accent 625u and 700u spacebars.
More

Aesthetic kit includes Icon Mods, extends 65%, 660,  60% staggered with arrow cluster, and basic unix/mac support.
More

Mod kit provides coverage to replace mods to alpha-colored (including numpad and F13)
More

More

International kit has been reduced while terminal-ISO added to base.
More

DESKMATS

COLORS

ROUND 1 PHOTOS

Photo: @taehatypes

Photo: @_minterly

Photo: @hqle26

Photo: @tamvibes

RENDERS
*MORE RENDERS COMING*

Kendo

Tengu

Valkyrie

VENDORS:

US: projectkeyboard.com
CA: deskhero.ca
EU: mykeyboard.eu
UK: prototypists.net
AUS: dailyclack.com
SEA: ilumkb
CN: zfrontier.com
SA: fancycustoms.com
KOR: swagkeys.com

PRICING:

TIMELINE:

GB Start: JULY 7, 2021
GB End: AUGUST 8, 2021
Est. Ship Date: Q3 2022

« Last Edit: Fri, 02 July 2021, 14:20:46 by Project Keyboard »

Offline of_sam

Re: [IC] GMK Bingsu R2
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 12 June 2021, 08:59:32 »
Please consider not locking Alice bars in the extension kit.
Typing on: HHKB Pro 2 - Stock :aware:
Collection: F1.69, Police, Jubi, RF 87U, En Dash, Rosenthal, Soulless, Frog, Calliope, GAF 910, Sabre, W1-AT

Offline pcire

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 12 June 2021, 09:33:29 »

^ Please!

Offline cijanzen

[IC] GMK Bingsu R2
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 12 June 2021, 09:36:24 »
You’ve got spacebars in the accent, extension, and forties kit.

Edit: perhaps that actually warrants splitting them out on their own? I haven’t kept up with GMK kitting so much but that would be typical for SP kitting.
« Last Edit: Sat, 12 June 2021, 09:43:55 by cijanzen »

Offline Grant-GG

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 12 June 2021, 09:42:14 »
thank you for R2

Offline singabore

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 12 June 2021, 09:45:13 »
Let's goooo

Offline Ella

• Why is it called an oven
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 12 June 2021, 09:46:20 »
Not Interested.

Offline of_sam

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 12 June 2021, 09:47:22 »

Edit: perhaps that actually warrants splitting them out on their own? I haven’t kept up with GMK kitting so much but that would be typical for SP kitting.
There are plenty of ways to kit without putting alpha colored bars in kits that will be $40+. I don't need any of the other keys in the Extension or 40's kits besides the two bars. There is also not enough shifts in the base to make a makeshift Alice layout using shifts as spacebars.
Typing on: HHKB Pro 2 - Stock :aware:
Collection: F1.69, Police, Jubi, RF 87U, En Dash, Rosenthal, Soulless, Frog, Calliope, GAF 910, Sabre, W1-AT

Offline cijanzen

[IC] GMK Bingsu R2
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 12 June 2021, 09:51:16 »

There are plenty of ways to kit without putting alpha colored bars in kits that will be $40+. I don't need any of the other keys in the Extension or 40's kits besides the two bars. There is also not enough shifts in the base to make a makeshift Alice layout using shifts as spacebars.
Yeah, I guess I was initially just pointing out that they’re available in a couple kits, but now seeing that there’s a lot of redundancy there and hence the edit.

Would it be outrageous to put the bars and accent bars in a standalone kit and remove the bars from the other kits?

Offline Fraaaan

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 12 June 2021, 09:52:55 »
Consider adding basic ISO support to base kit.

Offline LittleAad

• Hello
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 12 June 2021, 09:53:36 »
What thread am I supposed to be looking at ._.

Anyhow, consider dropping off center space and adding alpha coloured 3-1-3 bars for the “accents” kit.  Some form of iso in base would be cool. Excited to see an r2 tho  :thumb:

Offline cijanzen

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 12 June 2021, 10:01:46 »
Personally, I think the kitting here makes a lot of sense. ISO users may see some better pricing because they’re grouped with the extension kit (in an ideal world at least).

Base kit covers a decent chunk of boards but perhaps with, I think just one more shift(?) could cover Alice in a less ideal way.

Offline hali

• hali.studio
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 12 June 2021, 10:08:16 »
that extension kit makes me want to quit the hobby

Offline Laur

• Formerly dudeship
  • gmk retro runic
    • wip
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 12 June 2021, 10:10:00 »

i couldn't have said it better myself

also why did you post this ic 4 times?

Offline pcire

« Reply #14 on: Sat, 12 June 2021, 10:14:21 »

Would it be outrageous to put the bars and accent bars in a standalone kit and remove the bars from the other kits?

Not sure how much it affects pricing, but something like this is what I’d love to see.

Offline SafeAtShore

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 12 June 2021, 10:18:09 »
An actual GH IC thread? Nice.

Really appreciate the re-introduction of accent keys in 40s kit. Would it be possible to add a 1.5u shift in 40s kit as well? Otherwise, I'd say it's looking real good.
EDIT: No, wait. Why is it only 1.75u enter? 1.5u enter + accent would be great.
EDIT 2: As Steve said below (and upon closer inspection), that 1.75u mod-colored enter appears to be mislabeled. Would still appreciate 1.5u enter accent and 1.5u shift.

I'm digging the icon + text, although I didn't mind just icons--as long as it's consistent throughout the kits.

Ambivalent about the extensions kit. A lot of other sets usually have those caps in the base kit, don't they? I'd only get it for the shift keys, which... idk if I want to pay for a whole kit just for shift keys. But if base kit pricing works out to be lower, then fair's fair I guess.

I kinda like the abundance of mini bars; can never have too many.
« Last Edit: Sat, 12 June 2021, 10:46:34 by SafeAtShore »

Offline cijanzen

[IC] GMK Bingsu R2
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 12 June 2021, 10:18:16 »

Neither of you have said why you dislike the kit or offered alternatives.

What isn’t working? And what about the kit would you change?

Offline Macmutant

« Reply #17 on: Sat, 12 June 2021, 10:33:07 »
Thanks for running this set again. Looking forward to picking it up. Def in for base, extension, and maybe the accent spacebars.

Offline Steve Laroo

« Reply #18 on: Sat, 12 June 2021, 10:38:45 »
I think the 1.75 mod colored enter in the 40s kit is meant to be labeled 1.5 maybe? Guessing since the 1.75 backspace is in there and you have a 1.75 accented enter already.

Offline iinko_mk

« Reply #19 on: Sat, 12 June 2021, 10:40:13 »

not either of the OPs, but i also think the extension kit can be trimmed a bit (and kitting as a whole), so i just quoted dis. here we go:

Right of the bat, i think that iso can be put in base. while not a huge chunk of buyers, it will help eu sales/places that use iso sales (so pretty much everywhere). No one is gonna want to buy a 110 base kit (110 is optimistic with the state that gmk is in rn) and a 50 dollar extension kit for 4 keys (the 4 needed for simple iso).

Second, there should either be an extra 2.25u shift or alice bars in base for the b to actually do anything. Currently, the base kit can only support one alice layout physically (the 2u, 2.75u bars one). Or the b can be put in extensions or with spacebars, where it belongs *cough cough, not based at all*

F13 can also be added to base, once again, no one should be paying 50 bucks for a single key.

There is no numpad 5 homing key anywhere in the set, please add this either to base or extention

In conclusion, clumping everything into one kit actually has more cons than pros. People who want iso, alice, f13, and 660 will have to pay 50 dollars (just and estimate, but i already know this kit is gonna be a higher price looking at projects previous sets) for only a few keys. This will ultimately cause less people to buy the extension than if it was smaller or more optimized. While this is a nice set in terms of colors and design, the kitting is just a lose lose situation.

this is all just my opinion, we can agree to disagree.

edit: taking a quick look at GMK Astral Light, the base kit actually had one less key and was 130, while the extension (only slightly bigger than the one seen here) is 65. Just for price comparison.
« Last Edit: Sat, 12 June 2021, 10:42:47 by iinko_mk »
Code: [Select]
[url=https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=110839.0][img width=300 height=120]https://i.imgur.com/GKL0Jxi.png[/img][/url]

Offline cijanzen

« Reply #20 on: Sat, 12 June 2021, 10:42:57 »

not either of the OPs, but i also think the extension kit can be trimmed a bit (and kitting as a whole), so i just quoted dis. here we go:

Right of the bat, i think that iso can be put in base. while not a huge chunk of buyers, it will help eu sales/places that use iso sales (so pretty much everywhere). No one is gonna want to buy a 110 base kit (110 is optimistic with the state that gmk is in rn) and a 50 dollar extension kit for 4 keys (the 4 needed for simple iso).

Second, there should either be an extra 2.25u shift or alice bars in base for the b to actually do anything. Currently, the base kit can only support one alice layout physically (the 2u, 2.75u bars one). Or the b can be put in extensions or with spacebars, where it belongs *cough cough, not based at all*

F13 can also be added to base, once again, no one should be paying 50 bucks for a single key.

There is no numpad 5 homing key anywhere in the set, please add this either to base or extention

In conclusion, clumping everything into one kit actually has more cons than pros. People who want iso, alice, f13, and 660 will have to pay 50 dollars (just and estimate, but i already know this kit is gonna be a higher price looking at projects previous sets) for only a few keys. This will ultimately cause less people to buy the extension than if it was smaller or more optimized. While this is a nice set in terms of colors and design, the kitting is just a lose lose situation.

Whether we agree or disagree, this is how you provide good actionable feedback!

I do agree with several of your points though. Especially the “B”. Kinda weird in the base kit when it adds no additional support in the base kit alone.

Offline XiXora

« Reply #21 on: Sat, 12 June 2021, 10:45:02 »
I was going to buy extension kit as I usually need 2x 1.5u Super keys… I can live with UK ISO being there as I'd be asking for that too usually.

All good for me as far as I can see.

Offline Entity.

• Entity#1234
« Reply #22 on: Sat, 12 June 2021, 10:47:55 »
Love this  :thumb:

Pls consider adding iso to base

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #23 on: Sat, 12 June 2021, 10:53:26 »

See I do not understand the point of putting extra B in the base kit. If you are putting B  please put the extra  shifts. Thank  you from treeleaf !!!
treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!

Offline hali

• hali.studio
« Reply #24 on: Sat, 12 June 2021, 10:58:06 »
The way GMK prices things is kind of scuffed. I'm not going to comment on where the B should go because of the current kitting, but I do want to say this:

Even if the Base kit was $100, a price that only Honor achieved IIRC, there's no way the Extension kit would be anything below $40. So if you want ISO, 660 compatibility, two 1u spacebars that don't exist on any non-ortho layout, or a simple F13 legend to avoid duplicates, then you have to shell out $140 for keys which commonly come in $125 Base kits.

also 40s kit has half assed van support lol

Offline sagarsiddhpura

« Reply #25 on: Sat, 12 June 2021, 11:08:52 »
Sad to see sub optimal kitting from an experienced designer. Why is there a B in base kit when it doesn't even have makeshift alice support?

Offline ZongZiWang

« Reply #26 on: Sat, 12 June 2021, 11:11:40 »
Somehow I'm fine with extra B in base kit as I have CP short Spacebars from other sets (Olivia / Ursa) that I can use as accent Alice bars here with just base kit purchase. Please do not remove the extra B from base kit, but consider adding additional 2.25u shift or alpha color short bars to base kit!

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Offline sagarsiddhpura

« Reply #27 on: Sat, 12 June 2021, 11:15:16 »
Also no renders. How does the set look like with novelties? How does it look with mod kit? How does a board look on new deskmats? Its up to you to imagine. You are trying to sell a set without even showing what that looks like. Astral suffered from this and now this. You should setup a gofundme for basic renders. People **** on half baked IC's without renders and this is the same. Please make an update

Offline _IanOfEarth

« Reply #28 on: Sat, 12 June 2021, 11:17:25 »

edit: taking a quick look at GMK Astral Light, the base kit actually had one less key and was 130, while the extension (only slightly bigger than the one seen here) is 65. Just for price comparison.

Nailed it, this is all really good feedback that makes sense. Very happy to see macOS/Unix support for HHKB/7u in the Extensions kit, but overall that kit is doing too much.

Offline noodleman

« Reply #29 on: Sat, 12 June 2021, 11:29:14 »
can we have two base kits so we don't need to buy base + hangul?

Offline Kinesiologist

« Reply #30 on: Sat, 12 June 2021, 11:36:45 »
Please add F13 into the base kit :D

Offline Seoulcialite

• MechSeoul
« Reply #31 on: Sat, 12 June 2021, 11:53:17 »
Let's go!

Here's my contribution.

Offline onefivenine

• Project Keyboard LLC
« Reply #32 on: Sat, 12 June 2021, 11:57:54 »
Personally, I think the kitting here makes a lot of sense. ISO users may see some better pricing because they’re grouped with the extension kit (in an ideal world at least).

Base kit covers a decent chunk of boards but perhaps with, I think just one more shift(?) could cover Alice in a less ideal way.

Yup! We wanted to be more inclusive for UK-ISO users by backing them up with other keys for extended support. An international kit has been considered, but opted against it for low attachment rates.

See I do not understand the point of putting extra B in the base kit. If you are putting B  please put the extra  shifts. Thank  you from treeleaf !!!
IMO, makeshift spacebars is not ideal. Argument for 660 support makes sense but why would you want mod-colored shifts as spacebars when convex alpha colored split spacebars are available?

Also no renders. How does the set look like with novelties? How does it look with mod kit? How does a board look on new deskmats? Its up to you to imagine. You are trying to sell a set without even showing what that looks like. Astral suffered from this and now this. You should setup a gofundme for basic renders. People **** on half baked IC's without renders and this is the same. Please make an update
We'll get these up for you soon bb. We wanted to get feedback on the changes to the kitting <3

can we have two base kits so we don't need to buy base + hangul?
I have also considered this, but I know a lot of folks from Round 1 missed out on Hangul Child kit. Also, if a user wanted both Latin and Hangul compatibility, they would have to purchase 2 base kits. Double base kits is a great idea for Round 3 :)

This is great feedback. I am going to play around with moving some keys around today at the office.
Here are some thoughts:
- Move terminal ISO to base / Remove UK-ISO from Extension Kit
- Move accent arrows to base / drop the Accent Kit
- Add a spacebar kit (alice/split support) / remove split bars from Extension Kit

Keep the feedback coming!
« Last Edit: Sat, 12 June 2021, 12:00:00 by onefivenine »

Offline Zetina

• El pajarraco
« Reply #33 on: Sat, 12 June 2021, 12:05:01 »
Thanks for R2 but I think base needs some work, at least consider having F13 on the base not on the extension kit
« Last Edit: Sat, 12 June 2021, 12:23:18 by Zetina »

Offline hali

• hali.studio
« Reply #34 on: Sat, 12 June 2021, 12:05:12 »
I suggest trying to move as many Extension keys to Base as possible and removing accent arrows from spacebars. The price of the bars kit is going to be completely dredged with three colours and the addition of doubleshot keys.

Offline crestia

« Reply #35 on: Sat, 12 June 2021, 12:05:45 »
please run R1 deskmats again, those were great.

Offline onefivenine

• Project Keyboard LLC
« Reply #36 on: Sat, 12 June 2021, 12:08:45 »
Thanks for R2 but I think base needs some work, at least consider adding F13 to the base or even an extension kit
I think F13 in extension kit is appropriate. Moving to base would make more sense as we see more boards support this key.

I suggest trying to move as many Extension keys to Base as possible and removing accent arrows from spacebars. The price of the bars kit is going to be completely dredged with three colours and the addition of doubleshot keys.
As a vendor, having less SKUs = better. We're trying to balance price and compatibility to keep everyone happy as possible :) I will look into this.

Offline wholypantalones

• text and icon mods plz.
« Reply #37 on: Sat, 12 June 2021, 12:27:06 »
where R5 kit?

Offline sup3r170va

« Reply #38 on: Sat, 12 June 2021, 12:46:56 »
I can’t seem to fill in the IC Google form.

Thumbs up for the R5 kit. Would definitively get it.

I prefer icon only mods over icon+text, especially with the hangul sublegends.

Offline hangul

« Reply #39 on: Sat, 12 June 2021, 13:01:29 »
I can't fill in the IC form
split spacebars in the base kit pls

Offline cijanzen

« Reply #40 on: Sat, 12 June 2021, 13:08:30 »
Yeah, the IC form is not setup properly. Can’t access it.

Offline hkhawk

« Reply #41 on: Sat, 12 June 2021, 13:13:56 »

This, and also please put F13 in the Base Kit

Offline A.Belousov

« Reply #42 on: Sat, 12 June 2021, 13:16:59 »
Need two 3u plum space bars
Please add them in any kit

Offline Project Keyboard

• Project Keyboard
« Reply #43 on: Sat, 12 June 2021, 13:34:24 »
where R5 kit?
Show Image

Fixed

Yeah, the IC form is not setup properly. Can’t access it.
Fixed

Offline Havattack

« Reply #44 on: Sat, 12 June 2021, 13:34:52 »
What the hell is wrong with this website? You can't delete threads, only "lock" them? That is beyond stupid.
Get it together GH.

Offline matthewdias

« Reply #45 on: Sat, 12 June 2021, 14:56:53 »
40s kit looks great now! Minus that mislabeled 1.5u enter that Steve Laroo pointed out.

Offline nebluh

« Reply #46 on: Sat, 12 June 2021, 15:34:47 »
LETS GOOOO

Offline IOVERCALLHISTIOCYTES

« Reply #47 on: Sat, 12 June 2021, 16:29:11 »
Mod kit pricing is always challenging. Mod kits that include numpad mods (I really like them, but I get your point if you don’t numpad) usually end up over 100$ at MOQ 100 and still ~95 at MOQ 150.

The decision to not run Hangul base leaves you another option: change the mod kit to a base kit w mod colored alphas, ie the inverse. Price at 250 MOQ is still…140? That isn’t a huge base kit. Get 500 MOQ and it’s obviously notably cheaper. This set is a monster and you know there’s interest. You leverage the community’s tendency to buy heavily into base kits, the pricing for the mods only crowd changed by about…half what that extension kit will cost? The r1 users who loved the colors get something new to buy.

Offline WejB

« Reply #48 on: Sat, 12 June 2021, 16:41:33 »
What thread am I supposed to be looking at ._.

Anyhow, consider dropping off center space and adding alpha coloured 3-1-3 bars for the “accents” kit.  Some form of iso in base would be cool. Excited to see an r2 tho  :thumb:

I agree. I dont wanna pay 40$+ just to use my preferred base layout

Offline LittleAad

• Hello
« Reply #49 on: Sat, 12 June 2021, 16:55:53 »
I just wanna take a moment to say thank you for listening to the comments and community.