Author Topic: [IC] Kuro Shiro Deskmats  (Read 8615 times)

Offline ThePanduuh

• Discord @ThePanduuh#0001
[IC] Kuro Shiro Deskmats
« on: Sun, 01 December 2019, 00:23:25 »
Hello!

First things first, I did ask gok [designer of Kuro Shiro] about doing this, and potentially making a group buy out of it. He was okay with it as long as I got KBDFans on board with it, since they were the vendor of the set. I am hoping to get Novelkeys to actually get the mats as they do a lot of them for a lot of keysets. I think it's doable as long as I can get both vendors on board. Before I get there, I want to see how many people would legitimately be interested in this design.

As we all patiently wait our Kuro Shiro sets to arrive, and order more keysets, and more deskmats, I got thinking about a simple Kuro Shiro inspired deskmat. I quickly got to work in Photoshop mocking things up and posted in a Discord server and the man himself MiTo reached out to help me progress the design and get things set up properly (alignment of the characters). I can't thank him enough for his help in getting it just right and worthy of printing.

A few quick design elements:

- The RAMA caps for this set are opposite the deskmat, and putting shiro before kuro was not something I really wanted to do (Shiro Kuro just doesn't seem the same).

- If the right side was white background and black letter, the right side would get dirty from the mouse arm moving around.

- MONOCHROME, Kuro Shiro, black white, literally all I want since my theme has been black and white monochrome.

So here it is, the Kuro Shiro inspired deskmat.

If you're interested just comment here. Just seeing how many people would legitimately buy one of these. I'm not sure of any MOQ requirements or anything, but I'm not opposed to finding out from Novelkeys.

Thanks for reading!
Bias BE | Polaris | Frog | Matrix 8xv2.0 Add | Iron165 SE | HHKB Pro 2 Type-S | Cypher

Offline McBerto

Re: [IC] Kuro Shiro Deskmats
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 01 December 2019, 00:27:24 »
I would definitely be down to purchase one. I actually like the simplicity of the design.

Good luck making this a reality :3

Offline wellbeing44

• kebord good kebord fun yum yum
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 01 December 2019, 00:37:50 »
As an asian person, I would be interested in an exotic english version like so

Offline ThePanduuh

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 01 December 2019, 00:39:33 »

Show Image

I talked about why I didn't go with this style; how your right arm/hand would dirty up the right side when you move the mouse around.

you can get any design your heart desired printed for $20 on aliexpress :)
Bias BE | Polaris | Frog | Matrix 8xv2.0 Add | Iron165 SE | HHKB Pro 2 Type-S | Cypher

Offline Hell-es

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 01 December 2019, 01:04:12 »

Show Image

I talked about why I didn't go with this style; how your right arm/hand would dirty up the right side when you move the mouse around.

Nice idea

Maybe just for me, so that left handed people won‘t be dissapointed   :'(  :cool:

Offline Owl

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 01 December 2019, 12:02:56 »
not very creative or interesting to be honest. Anyone could mock this up in MSPaint and get it printed by a website.

Offline ThePanduuh

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 01 December 2019, 13:00:14 »
not very creative or interesting to be honest. Anyone could mock this up in MSPaint and get it printed by a website.

judging by the lack of interest, I think it's good I just got it printed for myself.

it is a pretty basic set, so how can you make something basic into something "creative or interesting"?

Offline kiriiya

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 01 December 2019, 18:53:13 »

Show Image

Nice idea

Maybe just for me, so that left handed people won‘t be dissapointed   :'(  :cool:

Something tells me that the initial comment may be sarcastic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ThePanduuh

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 01 December 2019, 20:10:06 »

Show Image

Nice idea

yeah I gathered the sarcasm as Asian culture circle jerking is kinda a meme (similar to Asian tattoos), so it was a comment in pure sarcasm mocking the obsession that western culture has for Asian culture (similar to an Asian getting some corny, google translated english words/phrase tattooed).

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 02 December 2019, 18:52:00 »
it is a pretty basic set, so how can you make something basic into something "creative or interesting"?

Good designers figure it out. Sometimes the $20 AliExpress special is the way to go. This is one of those cases.

Offline ThePanduuh

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 06 December 2019, 18:35:11 »

Good designers figure it out. Sometimes the $20 AliExpress special is the way to go. This is one of those cases.

As a challenge, and for humor, try and design a mat for WOB, Minimal, or Kuro Shiro. Let me know what goes on in your design process. They're all simple sets with no out of the ordinary inspiration. No volcanos, samurai's, Japanese soccer teams here. I designed a simple mat to go with a simple set, that ultimately I would use. I only posted public to gauge interest.

If I was at all a designer, I would agree. I'm just a guy with photoshop/illustrator and wanting a new deskmat. Figured instead of make a 1-off I'd gauge interest. Seems no interest is avail, so when I put one of mine on mm to sell it, because I ordered 2, I better stare at the post for days.

The best part is; none of this is possible. I have learned there are issues when making large white mats, so this is dead anyway.

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 06 December 2019, 19:57:59 »
I’m not big on graphic desk mats. I use a big leather desk mat. I’m sorry for being a prick. Thanks for making the interest check and please don’t let me being an ******* keep you from making things and opening interest checks

Offline adxlk

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 06 December 2019, 22:42:00 »
Hello, I want to get into contact with you, what's your discord name?

Offline kiriiya

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 06 December 2019, 22:43:16 »

Show Image

Nice idea

yeah I gathered the sarcasm as Asian culture circle jerking is kinda a meme (similar to Asian tattoos), so it was a comment in pure sarcasm mocking the obsession that western culture has for Asian culture (similar to an Asian getting some corny, google translated english words/phrase tattooed).

Yes my comment was also sarcastic

Offline ThePanduuh

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 19 December 2019, 19:27:30 »
so my official review of the deskmats:
the "printed on stitching" one: it's softer feeling. not like a blanket, but like foam. it's squishier, more malleable. there was a bit of a mark on the white side which i promptly was able to wash out (both mats had a piece of paper included in with them and my guess is the paper transferred some oil).
the "black stitching" one: it's more like a traditional deskpad. the feel is very similar to my MekaMat from Dixie, the bottoms look and feel very similar, but the stitching around the edge isn't perfect. the white side shows it more (obviously). there was 1 print defect where there's a slightly whiter "drop" in the black side.

They both feel very similar on top. they both feel like a deskmat lol. both look very similar when looking up close as well. I'm still not sure which i'm keeping and which i'm selling, i might just keep both. I will put the file and seller on geekhack so you can get one printed for yourself. I did message the seller to confirm that the printed on stitching one is supposed to feel this way, I'm curious to see what their response is.
/review

Here's some pictures of the received deskmats: https://imgur.com/a/Kf817Kn
Here's the listing I bought from: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32866691042.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.62844c4dHJRlr5
Here's a link to the full res image: https://i.imgur.com/mlUWhmM.png