Author Topic: Post your ALPS keyboard  (Read 179218 times)

Offline JP

Re: Post your ALPS keyboard
« Reply #350 on: Fri, 17 November 2017, 17:20:43 »
About Me | The Collection
Therapy is expensive so I buy keyboards and bike parts.

Offline sncbraxsc2

• ⭐Domesticated Dweeb⭐
« Reply #351 on: Fri, 17 November 2017, 20:52:13 »
Fat Alps!

Texas Instruments Business-Pro Keyboard from 1985

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

Full post here:
https://imgur.com/a/gl1DS
https://deskthority.net/photos-videos-f64/texas-instruments-low-profile-customizable-layout-fat-brown-alps-t17569.html

I was glued to that thread for like an hour. What an incredible find :D That click sounds delicious too, much more subtle than an skcm blue or white from what I can tell. The doublespring, thick slider, curved plate and pcb... It reminded me of, TI + ALPS's version of the 3270 or F122

Offline FearsomeCubedWarrior

« Reply #352 on: Thu, 07 December 2017, 13:07:52 »
Just a humble submission:

SKCM whites, DSA lightcycle, KBDfans 5° Cyan

Offline PainMaster

• Formerly cjakma
  • IBM(PainMaster)
« Reply #353 on: Fri, 08 December 2017, 04:53:27 »
it's all ALPS

183920-0

183922-1

183924-2

> Prism v1
183926-3

> Prism v2
183928-4

> New Dell (basic)
183930-5

> New Dell (black)
   OberHofer (Handcraft Wood Keyboard)
183932-6

> Focus-FK2001
183934-7

> the Ukraine's cyrillic alps keyboard
   Apple Extend
183936-8

> Alps Kustom
183938-9

> IBM 5140
183940-10

> Frankenstein 18xx -
   Cherry 18xx Housing + Alps SKBM Grey Linear Switch + Apple Extened Keycaps (6 keysets) + Windows Enverment
   This is abnormal concept.
183942-11

183944-12

« Last Edit: Fri, 08 December 2017, 05:00:00 by PainMaster »
SaiB-CP Black - Kailh Bronze (Non Click / 58g) - Finish
Light Saver v1 Black - Cherry Wyze Black (Linear / 64g)
Light Saver v2 Gray - Cherry 1501 Black (Linear / 64g)
Light Saver v3 Silver - Cherry 8200 White (Non Click / 64g)
Light Saver Acryl (Duck96 base) - Gateron Yellow (Linear / 62g) - Season 1 Fin.
Octagon v1 Black - Cherry 1501 Black (Linear / 64g) / TX-1800 v1 Red/Black - Cherry Wyze Black (Linear / 58g)
VE.A Test Housing- Cherry 8113 White (Non Click / 58g)
TC-V3 , LZ*ASRH Black, VE.A 2nd
... etc.

Offline JP

« Reply #354 on: Fri, 08 December 2017, 08:33:02 »
That is an impressive collection of Alps boards.

A couple more of mine.

Prism N5 (BSI branded) portable computer keyboard
183946-0

Ortek MCK-142 Pro
183948-1

Offline PainMaster

• Formerly cjakma
  • IBM(PainMaster)
« Reply #355 on: Fri, 08 December 2017, 21:10:29 »

A couple more of mine.

(Attachment Link)

Ortek MCK-142 Pro
(Attachment Link)

Oh?

There is no Windows key in " Prism " v1.

Is it mixed with v1 and v2 ?
SaiB-CP Black - Kailh Bronze (Non Click / 58g) - Finish
Light Saver v1 Black - Cherry Wyze Black (Linear / 64g)
Light Saver v2 Gray - Cherry 1501 Black (Linear / 64g)
Light Saver v3 Silver - Cherry 8200 White (Non Click / 64g)
Light Saver Acryl (Duck96 base) - Gateron Yellow (Linear / 62g) - Season 1 Fin.
Octagon v1 Black - Cherry 1501 Black (Linear / 64g) / TX-1800 v1 Red/Black - Cherry Wyze Black (Linear / 58g)
VE.A Test Housing- Cherry 8113 White (Non Click / 58g)
TC-V3 , LZ*ASRH Black, VE.A 2nd
... etc.

Offline JP

« Reply #356 on: Fri, 08 December 2017, 22:11:26 »

A couple more of mine.

(Attachment Link)

Ortek MCK-142 Pro
(Attachment Link)

Oh?

There is no Windows key in " Prism " v1.

Is it mixed with v1 and v2 ?

I can't seem to find much online about these Prism keyboards. The Prism N5 was a portable lunch box pc with a keyboard similar to your v1 but has a Windows key. There is an example on Etsy of one that sold long ago and it has the same keyboard as mine except that example is beige instead of black.

Offline MMKB

« Reply #357 on: Sun, 17 December 2017, 23:02:30 »
Think I can finally call this finished, now that it has a new badge (thanks E3E!) and some GH caps (thanks JD!)

This board had a ridiculous amount of ping when I got it, so I not only lubed the springs after cleaning out the switches, but took a page out of the Model F book and cut neoprene foam to fit between the PCB and plate. No more ping and it retains the flex it has due to the way the plate is mounted to the top of the case that was lost when I had padded the case with dampening foam. I've been slacking on putting a small build log together, but I might get to that eventually.

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Just realize that I've been staring at this old post for ten minutes.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #358 on: Tue, 06 February 2018, 14:29:15 »
SKCM blue swapped v60, mostly Wang keycaps, and all my alps artisans

188101-0
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline eksuen

• Ambassador of explosions.
« Reply #359 on: Tue, 06 February 2018, 16:42:53 »
SKCM blue swapped v60, mostly Wang keycaps, and all my alps artisans

(Attachment Link)

Very nice! Is that the V60 I sold you?

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #360 on: Tue, 06 February 2018, 22:20:06 »
Very nice! Is that the V60 I sold you?

Yep, same board
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

Offline smithyithy

• a l p s
« Reply #361 on: Wed, 07 February 2018, 03:28:11 »
Finished photo of my latest build:

KBDfans Tina-C case in silver; Custom polished copper plate; Alps64 PCB; SKCM Cream - cleaned, linear-modded, un-dampened, dry-lubed, 70cN springs; DCS Alpine Winter
KBD75; Alps64 trio; some other stuff

Offline Taeha Types

• Subscribe to me :D
« Reply #362 on: Mon, 05 March 2018, 11:36:43 »

Offline Taeha Types

« Reply #363 on: Mon, 05 March 2018, 11:39:45 »

Offline Taeha Types

« Reply #364 on: Mon, 30 April 2018, 11:36:50 »

AEK64 w/lubed SKCL Green Alps

Offline Taeha Types

« Reply #365 on: Tue, 01 May 2018, 04:13:50 »
194874-0194876-1

Offline Taeha Types

« Reply #366 on: Sun, 27 May 2018, 17:55:51 »
Chicony KB-5160AT

196472-0
196474-1

Offline Mattheuk9

« Reply #367 on: Mon, 28 May 2018, 00:20:53 »

Offline zacheadams

• Friendly Neighborhood Keyboard Enthusiast
« Reply #368 on: Sat, 16 June 2018, 14:21:02 »
198175-0

198177-1

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #369 on: Mon, 18 June 2018, 08:08:14 »

Leading Edge DC-2214 and DC-3014, Blue alps, Ansi, NKRO, Thick doubleshots  :thumb:

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #371 on: Mon, 18 June 2018, 21:01:56 »
(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

I love how this board ended up

Also great to know the Perma has a forever home

Offline MandrewDavis

• Chasin' That Neon Rainbow
« Reply #372 on: Thu, 21 June 2018, 22:22:47 »
A few years ago, I posted on the Alps Appreciation Thread about the NOS Blue Alps keyboard I won on eBay. Well, I finally finished it up this week!

Orihalcon tried hard to help me with the Soarer's converter but there was nothing but error codes.  I messaged the owner of the only other documented K-430 on the internet and he said that he could only get it to work with a certain Compaq computer but once that died, he gave to a collector. Even though this is simply a unique Chicony 5160 variant with arrow keys, there is some charm to its yellowing and status as a 30-year-old NOS keyboard which made it worth the work.

I would love for everyone to check out the buildlog but here is the end product - same pictures are in the Imgur album here.

More

Often regarded among the best keyboard switches ever made, blue Alps were manufactured in the late 1980s by Alps Electric. I started looking for blue Alps switches (about two years ago in the summer of 2016 before prices skyrocketed) and soon found this keyboard on a one-day eBay auction of which, I was the only bidder.

The only record of this mysterious Copam K-430 model on the internet was from a user GH user who got rid of it due to the non-standard protocol. With such little documentation, I wasn't 100 percent sure it actually had blue Alps but took a chance since it was NOS and still in original packaging.

It indeed contained Blue Alps! The keyboard felt great to type on but using my DIN-5 AT/XT Soarer's converter, it yielded nothing but error codes.

After sitting in my closet for almost a year, I decided this yellowed dinosaur was worth teaching myself KiCad in order to design a PCB that supports press-fit TE Connectivity Holtite sockets.  Other benefits include full reprogrammability, native USB compatibility and less stress on the delicate switch legs due to the heat that comes with soldering and de-soldering - should I decide to swap them out

Most modern keyboards follow the widely adopted IBM spacing standard of 0.75” or 19.05mm from center-to-center of each (1 unit) key.  The difficult part was determining the spacing from the function keys and numpad area to the middle portion.  Really wanted to get it right the first time.

After bit of measuring, I was able to determine the additional spacing of ~9.5mm amounting to the equivalent separation of 1.5 units or 28.575mm.

'Measuring' where the new lock LEDs should be located to line up with the lock light windows.
(Picture for illustrative purposes)

The 8134-HC-8Px Holtite connector spec-sheet recommends a mounting hole diameter of 2.08mm ±0.05mm so I had a friend send a prototype PCB to test a few different drill sizes.  I settled on 2.00mm, but in retrospect I should have chosen 2.05mm.

Using KiCad's Footprint Editor, a footprint was created for each switch using retooled Alps specification sheets from Matias and widening the drill size.  The footprints for diodes, resistors and LEDs were taken from the default KiCad library.

For the brain of this project, I selected the PJRC Teensy++ 2.0 as it utilizes the AT90USB1286 chip and has more EEPROM and I/O compared to ATmega32U4 in the Teensy 2.0. The extra pins will be able to accommodate a 5 x 21 matrix rather than something like a 9 x 10.

The first step in KiCad was creating the component schematic in Eeschema. Each switch, diode, and resistor is laid out and routed accordingly.  Eeschema is also used for associating the individual component drawings with their corresponding PCB footprints.  The resulting .net file will be imported into Pcbnew.

Importing the .net file from Eeschema will create ratsnest lines that indicate the necessary path of each trace.

In KiCad, custom grid spacing of 19.05mm divided by 8 was used to place each switch and diode footprint. Before I started routing traces, a basic 2D .dxf file was drawn up in AutoCAD then superimposed to double check my switch spacing.

Provisions were also made so the USB cable would be secured, and Bluetooth could be added in the future.  Later, I came across very similar keyboards presumably manufactured by the same Chicony OEM, so additional support was added to accommodate their slightly different bottom rows.

Very happy with how my manually routed traces came out as the automatic tool was a tad messy.  The red traces correspond with the top layer and the green traces correspond with the back layer.
I also knew the Teensy would be removed and reinstalled periodically during testing, so its footprint was modified to use smaller Holtite sockets.

PCBs arrived, the yellow solder mask was chosen since it seemed more fitting for this retrofit project than something like blue or red.

All 89 SMD 1n4148 diodes soldered in and tested with a multimeter to ensure they are all orientated correctly.

Installation of smaller TE Holtite sockets to make the Teensy++ 2.0 hotswappable.

LED SIP sockets soldered in for the lock lights. I chose these since the LED height inside the case can be adjusted by just clipping the legs.

Thankfully there were only three 805 SMD resistors to solder in, I didn’t realize they were so small.  Should have chosen a lower resistance than 1k Ohm because the stock LEDs were too dim.

I designed the PCB with the possibly of a detachable cable in mind, but it would have required hacking up the case. It was soldered in anyway and later on in the build, this ended up working out.

Beginning the socket installation with the number pad area, you can see a few lifted pads. This happened less frequently as time went on.

The heat applied from the soldering iron has discolored the area around the solder pads.  They fit very snug and illustrates the main reason why a 2.05mm drill size would have been better choice.

In preparation to desolder the switches, all keycaps were removed.

Adding fresh 63-37 rosin core solder to loosen up what had been sitting for nearly 30 years.

The Japanse-made Engineer solder-sucker is very strong and it's great that the silicon tip can touch the iron directly for better suction.

Desoldering the LEDs

she gone

All the switch legs have been desoldered so that the original PCB can simply be peeled back and separated.

GREAT SUCCESS!

Peeling the PCB back in that manor allows the switches to removed from the rear so the clips aren't damaged.

Test fit.  The original PCB had only one side etched with small pieces of wire used to jump traces. Highlighted are the screw holes I did not notice during the design phase and needed to be drilled out to help secure the plate to the PCB.

The two screw holes were done with a hand drill.  Luckily there were no traces running through those locations.

This took forever.

Pressing in the TE holtite sockets using a soldering iron. I found that using a conical, B-shape tip that is set to around 275º C in short periods can help any prevent pads from lifting.

At this point, everything was assembled with the plate screwed to the pcb, switches installed and sockets pressed into place.  The lifted traces were easily fixed by bridging the columns with some wire.

Building the TMK firmware. In these two pictures we are defining the rows, columns, and their corresponding I/O pins on the Teensy.

When a switch is pressed, this diode matrix will tell the controller of the input location using coordinates of the two electrical signals.

Defining the keymap and function layers using the designated TMK keycodes. For me, the ability to remap each key is the biggest benefit of this retrofit. The ACTION_LAYER_TAP_KEY allows the down arrow key to act normally when tapped, but accesses the function layer when held.

Writing the code for the lock LEDs was the most frustrating part of this entire process. Both the switch matrix and keymap worked flawlessly after flashing the first .hex file though it took many more tries before the LEDs behaved as desired.  Commented out at the bottom is the function written to keep the lock LEDs from turning on while the computer is in sleep mode.

It’s alive! Each component now sits in its rightful place and functions as it should.  I used it as pictured for a few days and boxed it up.  Using a generic black USB cable while I had the hefty original coiled cable sitting around started to bother me.

After a few months, I decided to finish this project up for good. The internal connector was cut off and each wire was soldered to the corresponding wire of the USB cable then heatshrinked.

This project box with a panel mount 5-pin AT/XT socket allows the use of the original connector and passively changes the interface, not the protocol. It usually sits out of sight behind my computer.

There is a plastic trim piece that covered the large hole where original cable connector had to fit through the case.  Its clip broke when I initially took it apart but the mini-USB just happens to keep the piece perfectly in place.

In order to flash the .hex file, there is a reset button on the Teensy that puts it into bootloader mode. What didn't occur to me, was that once the top is screwed on, the button would no longer be accessible.  I wired this switch (that was originally intended for Bluetooth) to the reset pin on the Teensy.

The goal was always to modify this keyboard as little as possible. A discreet hole was made under one of the case feet to access the external reset switch for flashing new keymaps.

The switch feel of Blue Alps can truly be appreciated now that the keyboard is operational. Though, the inability to remap backspace to where the backslash sits on a normal ANSI board is a bummer and I'm not yet sure if I prefer them to SKCM Amber. Regardless, it was very rewarding to see this project through and save a rather unique board which others would have certainly harvested the switches from then discarded. Big thanks to the community members that checked my PCB schematic and I hope you enjoyed the read!
« Last Edit: Wed, 25 July 2018, 14:54:13 by MandrewDavis »
I've come to view humanity as predominantly monkey business.

My Classifieds Thread

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #373 on: Fri, 22 June 2018, 21:43:16 »
wow. That is one impressive project, I love it! Nice job  :thumb:
-Dana

Offline ollir_

« Reply #374 on: Wed, 11 July 2018, 12:34:19 »
Chicony KB-5160AT

What a beautiful board, and nice photos as well!

Offline PerniciousPony

« Reply #375 on: Thu, 26 July 2018, 21:26:14 »

More

Offline MandrewDavis

« Reply #376 on: Thu, 26 July 2018, 21:37:56 »
Show Image

Show Image

Siiick, really wish my set of Alpine winter had the arrow keys. How did you mount the 6.5u spacebar with cherry stabilizers?

My Classifieds Thread

Offline PerniciousPony

« Reply #377 on: Thu, 26 July 2018, 22:19:25 »
Siiick, really wish my set of Alpine winter had the arrow keys. How did you mount the 6.5u spacebar with cherry stabilizers?

I bent it myself!  I've got a ton of wyse boards that have 10u stab wires.  It usually takes me 2-3 tries to get it right.  I was originally planning on using the 6u spacebar with the build so I could use a full 1.25u bottom row, but the spacing on that 6u bar is nonstandard and wasn't compatible with the plate or pcb iirc.  Somehow I didn't know that Alpine Winter had a 6.5u spacebar and I really didn't want to build it with a 6.25u spacebar as I didn't like the non symmetry of the bottom row with that layout so I ended up building the board with a JIS bottom row.

About a week ago I found the 6.5u spacebar and decided to rebuild the board with a more standard bottom row as I couldn't get accustomed to the split spacebar.  The spacing seemed really awkward to me and my thumb would end up pressing almost perfectly between the two spacebars.

Offline MandrewDavis

« Reply #378 on: Fri, 27 July 2018, 19:02:44 »

I bent it myself!  I've got a ton of wyse boards that have 10u stab wires.  It usually takes me 2-3 tries to get it right.  I was originally planning on using the 6u spacebar with the build so I could use a full 1.25u bottom row, but the spacing on that 6u bar is nonstandard and wasn't compatible with the plate or pcb iirc.  Somehow I didn't know that Alpine Winter had a 6.5u spacebar and I really didn't want to build it with a 6.25u spacebar as I didn't like the non symmetry of the bottom row with that layout so I ended up building the board with a JIS bottom row.

Show Image

About a week ago I found the 6.5u spacebar and decided to rebuild the board with a more standard bottom row as I couldn't get accustomed to the split spacebar.  The spacing seemed really awkward to me and my thumb would end up pressing almost perfectly between the two spacebars.

Great stuff as always!

My Classifieds Thread

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #379 on: Tue, 31 July 2018, 23:32:17 »
Kinda hacked together a Fourier with some Salmon ALPS the other weekend. I need to figure out a cap situation.

-Dana

Offline senter

• * Maker
« Reply #380 on: Fri, 10 August 2018, 21:05:18 »

Offline efex

« Reply #381 on: Tue, 18 September 2018, 02:49:09 »
Monterey K110, a lovely 75%
« Last Edit: Wed, 19 September 2018, 11:53:11 by efex »

Offline PerniciousPony

« Reply #382 on: Wed, 12 December 2018, 10:50:51 »

Offline frosty

• jukebox hero
« Reply #383 on: Wed, 12 December 2018, 21:29:28 »
Show Image

neat looking, what case is this? and is that foam dampener on the plate?

Offline Edy

« Reply #384 on: Sun, 17 February 2019, 22:05:13 »
Show Image

Where did you get these keycaps from?

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #385 on: Sun, 17 February 2019, 22:12:26 »
Show Image

looks like a GSKT-00 and i am about 80% sure that that's some weird plate material (some kind of plastic?) as opposed to foam on the plate
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline PerniciousPony

« Reply #386 on: Sun, 17 February 2019, 22:13:53 »
Show Image

looks like a GSKT-00 and i am about 80% sure that that's some weird plate material (some kind of plastic?) as opposed to foam on the plate

It is indeed a GSKT-00 and the plate is ABS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #387 on: Sun, 17 February 2019, 22:20:33 »
Show Image

It is indeed a GSKT-00 and the plate is ABS.

interesting texture on that plate for sure

wonder if it'll attract a lot of dirt

i hope not
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline DocNoc

« Reply #388 on: Wed, 20 February 2019, 20:49:30 »
My current daily driver

Offline futurecrime

• Get Zooted
« Reply #389 on: Fri, 03 May 2019, 11:49:36 »

Offline PerniciousPony

« Reply #390 on: Fri, 03 May 2019, 11:50:56 »
Show Image

Hard want.

It’s a wonderful board. I’ll be getting a new camera soon, then I’ll share some typing tests with it and my SMK clueboard!

Offline Hālian

• the Protogen
    • Safir Alliance Wiki
« Reply #391 on: Fri, 10 May 2019, 01:39:44 »
Matias Quiet Pro with default caps (and a few chattering switches, I'll admit :-X)

Offline Dumble_Hub

• Lets Go Bills!!!
« Reply #392 on: Sun, 09 June 2019, 17:19:50 »
Not the best pic but whatever.

Offline JP

« Reply #393 on: Mon, 10 June 2019, 17:53:14 »
Not the best pic but whatever.

I thought picture would be meh but when opened it's very nice. I like the clean aesthetic.

Offline GLaDOS

« Reply #394 on: Wed, 31 July 2019, 07:16:41 »
Linearised AT102W that has really been through the wars.

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
« Reply #395 on: Wed, 31 July 2019, 10:24:46 »
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Offline JP

« Reply #396 on: Wed, 31 July 2019, 11:22:32 »
Just a few from this year.

223467-0

223469-1

223471-2

223473-3

223475-4

223477-5

223479-6

Offline ProfCalamitus

Offline JP

« Reply #398 on: Wed, 31 July 2019, 12:13:25 »
That is an absolute unit of a board.  Where'd you find it?

Yahoo Auctions Japan.

Offline MMKB

« Reply #399 on: Wed, 31 July 2019, 12:51:18 »
Is that a Chinese keyboard? I mean a keyboard that outputs Chinese  :eek: