Author Topic: wood keycaps  (Read 5466 times)

Offline loganville

wood keycaps
« on: Tue, 26 September 2017, 16:01:31 »
I've finally gotten around to making a wooden keycap that fits snuggly on an mx stem. Now I just need to make it the proper profile and laser on some legends. This one is made out of walnut, but I got a dozen different types of wood I plan on using. Also need to sand and stain this one before using it.

Offline AuthenticDanger

Re: wood keycaps
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 26 September 2017, 16:07:04 »
Looks cool!

Any plans to copy an existing profile? I'd be *very* excited to get some wooden DSA caps.
F Keys belong on the left.

Offline loganville

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 26 September 2017, 16:19:38 »
I'm planning on doing a dsa ergodox layout for myself once I get the rest of the process down smoothly. I'll keep posting updates here if you're interested. I'm right now torn between lasering the legends or carving them in...

Any particular types of wood you'd be interested in?

Offline AuthenticDanger

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 26 September 2017, 16:50:36 »
I'm planning on doing a dsa ergodox layout for myself once I get the rest of the process down smoothly. I'll keep posting updates here if you're interested. I'm right now torn between lasering the legends or carving them in...

Any particular types of wood you'd be interested in?

I know nothing about wood, just that I like it dark and/or red-ish. I'd be super interested in blank DSA profile keys, which saves time doing legends :). You could run a group buy depending on how much time each cap takes. I know I'd be interested in at least 10 if the price is good.
F Keys belong on the left.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 27 September 2017, 15:59:23 »
Glass caps is where it's at

Offline loganville

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 27 September 2017, 16:20:39 »
Glass caps is where it's at

Maybe but my keyboard has a custom wooden case I made... wooden keys match better...
Plus I don't have the right equipment to mill glass.

Offline loganville

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 27 September 2017, 23:40:41 »
Here's my first go at dsa profile. It's a bit off center from when I flipped it but that's because I messed up my jig. Hopefully this weekend I'll have a chance to clean up the process.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

Offline kialios

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 28 September 2017, 03:21:34 »
it can be more beauty,perhaps

Offline loganville

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 01 October 2017, 14:32:44 »
I think I am pretty happy with the process here. Still needs to be finished on the top with some light sanding and finishing oil to bring out the grain.

Offline mrhead

• Thread \ (•◡•) / Stopper
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 01 October 2017, 15:14:32 »
This looks pretty good so far!

Offline Landcaps

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 02 October 2017, 00:41:35 »
I think I am pretty happy with the process here. Still needs to be finished on the top with some light sanding and finishing oil to bring out the grain.
Show Image
Show Image

that's a pretty stem you got there.

Offline maylily

• Custom keyboard | Artisan keycap
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 20 October 2017, 06:34:09 »
Show Image
Show Image

wow, have you tried the CherryMx test, is it fit?

Offline loganville

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 20 October 2017, 08:15:56 »
Show Image
Show Image

Fits my browns. Some other woods have stem cracking. I'm working on a different stem design which is a shame because I love the current look. I've also figured out how to do more than one at a time.

Offline kurplop

• THE HERO WE DON'T DESERVE
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 20 October 2017, 13:43:42 »
Fits my browns. Some other woods have stem cracking. I'm working on a different stem design which is a shame because I love the current look. I've also figured out how to do more than one at a time.

You’re probably limited to exotic tropical hardwoods (think rosewood, cocobolo, bocote, etc.) if you are running the grain perpendicular to the stem. Most common woods just don’t have the density to be reliable.

You might consider glueing a dowel of similar wood type in the center of your blank before milling as an alternative.

Offline maylily

• Custom keyboard | Artisan keycap
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 20 October 2017, 14:47:08 »
Show Image
Show Image

Keep going, what you do is great, I'm also researching to make the base of the wooden keycap.
C