Author Topic: infiniti assembles a 60% Keyboard (FaceW PCB)  (Read 237175 times)

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
    • PM me and ask for a custom title!
infiniti assembles a 60% Keyboard (FaceW PCB)
« on: Sun, 06 April 2014, 01:26:52 »
So after a few months of waiting and accumulating parts I'm ready to start assembly.

List of parts / components that I already have:
  • 1N4148 through-hole diodes from a local electronics shop
  • 0805 SMD resistors from a local electronics shop
  • silver switch stickers I had cut at a local shop
(picture to follow :p)

List of parts / components that I am still waiting for:

Edit: Reuploaded pictures to Imgur.  RIP Dropbox Public Folder.
« Last Edit: Sat, 17 June 2017, 11:03:16 by infiniti »

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
Re: infiniti assembles a 60% Keyboard (FaceW PCB)
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 06 April 2014, 01:27:36 »

« Last Edit: Sat, 17 June 2017, 11:04:41 by infiniti »

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 06 April 2014, 02:13:41 »
NOTE: It is a better idea to solder the through-hole diodes to the back/rear of the PCB (i.e. the side that faces the case.

I originally installed the through-hole diodes on the front of the PCB (i.e. the side facing the plate) and discovered that some diodes interfere with the PCB mount stabilizers.  I remedied this by transferring some diodes to the back of the PCB.  Later, I had free time and transferred all the diodes to the rear of the PCB.

28 March 2014 - Soldered on the 1N4148 through-hole diodes

The diodes were individually cut instead of in a roll.  It actually made things easier when I had to bend the legs.

I used a pair of Kelly forceps as a guide in bending the legs.  You need to adjust depending on the size of your forceps and the diode holes on the PCB.

Step 1: Align the first leg

Step 2: Bend the first leg

Step 3: Align the other leg

Step 4: Bend so that the leg is parallel with the first leg

Step 5: Voila!

Here's a guide to what goes where on the PCB:

Note: there are some switches on the PCB where the diode is horizontal rather than vertical.

Done! :thumb:

« Last Edit: Sat, 17 June 2017, 11:09:31 by infiniti »

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 06 April 2014, 03:03:39 »
6 April 2014 - Soldered on the SMD resistors for the LEDs

I originally bought 0603 diodes since the first store I ordered from didn't have 0805 and it didn't seem that small when I checked the size online prior to ordering: 1.6 mm × 0.8 mm (0.063 in × 0.031 in)

See that on Bob's forehead?  That's a 0603 size SMD. :eek:

I decided to be kind on my eyes and looked for another shop that had 0805 size SMD resistors - 2.0 mm × 1.25 mm (0.079 in × 0.049 in).

0603 on the left and 0805 on the right:

________

As this was my first time to solder SMD components, I watched some instructional videos on youtube.

I ended up using the following strategy using:

Step 1: Apply a little solder to one pad

Note: I chose the right hand pad since I hold my iron in my right hand and the tweezers in my left hand.

Step 2: Heat the pad with the solder and lay down the SMD resistor

Note: I heated the pad with the soldering iron in my right hand and then slid in the SMD using tweezers in my left hand.  You can gently use the soldering iron and tweezers to fix the alignment of the SMD.

Step 3: Solder the other pad

Rinse and repeat until done.

Tip: Take a break if you start getting frustrated.  Also, rest your hands every so often if you start trembling and have difficulty aligning the SMD components.
________

Next Step: sticker and lube the switches

« Last Edit: Sat, 17 June 2017, 11:12:20 by infiniti »

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 06 April 2014, 03:14:20 »
Looking good! I usually do it in a batch. First apply solder to the one pad for all the resistors, then place them all on, and then solder the other pad for all the resistors. This allows me not to get frustrated with aligning those tiny part, just do it in one go. Also I always listen to music while soldering, keeps you calm. :D

Offline Zeal

• Actually the King of Green Tea Kit-Kats
  • * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 06 April 2014, 03:48:15 »
Will be watching this thread! Can't wait for my board to arrive.  :)
        "Bird have wing, bird will fly. Henry had wings.  Henry now fly." -Sent

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 06 April 2014, 03:59:51 »
Are these SMD really intended for hand-soldering?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 06 April 2014, 04:36:46 »
It honestly just BGA/FN packages which are not meant for hand soldering, anything which had exposed leads can be hand soldered restricted primarily only be the user skill level.

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 06 April 2014, 05:06:36 »
Looking good! I usually do it in a batch. First apply solder to the one pad for all the resistors, then place them all on, and then solder the other pad for all the resistors. This allows me not to get frustrated with aligning those tiny part, just do it in one go. Also I always listen to music while soldering, keeps you calm. :D

That's a good workflow!  This was my first time to do SMDs so I took it slow. :p

I'll try than when I do the LEDs when the time comes.

________

Will be watching this thread! Can't wait for my board to arrive.  :)

The next update might be a while...the switches are taking longer than expected to arrive. :-X

I piggy-backed with a sea-freight shipment and didn't pay for shipping so I can't really complain.
________

Are these SMD really intended for hand-soldering?

While you can hand-solder SMD components, they are usually used placed and soldered by machines.  But rework on defective SMD components is still done by hand.

Offline matt303

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 06 April 2014, 05:17:38 »
Hats off to you with the SMD soldering  :thumb: , used to repair the odd SMD board in a previous job, even with a proper rework station and training it was always a pain to do resistors and caps, so small and easy to move when soldering.

Offline pexon

• * Maker
  • El Jefe of Sleeving
    • Pexon PCs
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 06 April 2014, 05:17:46 »
Those 0603 sized SMD as sooooo tiny!  :o

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 06 April 2014, 05:55:39 »
I actually prefer the SMD stuff as opposed to the TH, one of the reasons being repair, it is such a pain to remove the diodes if you TH solder them and you realize later, that you go the orientation wrong. where as SMD, it is just so much easier.

I don't know if there is a guide out there or if this is the correct method for soldering LEDs, but here is what I do: When installing LEDs, I have noticed that they tend to fall through the hole sicne nothing keeps them locked into their position. What I do is, have the keyboard facing up, place the LEDs, use a hard surface like a cardboard, flip the keyboard and place it on working desk so all the LED pins stay in the wholes, they do fall off a bit, but not out of the holes, I then use a needlenose plier or my hands, pull the LED via one leg (Gently, not to tight and the holes are large enough that both the legs are pulled up evenly even when only pulling using one leg). I then solder the other leg not held, let it cool and move to the other LED. After this is done, I then solder the other leg on all the LEDs, following by trimming of the pins.

Comments on technique?

Offline jorgenslee

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 06 April 2014, 06:08:42 »
Hi infiniti,

can you post some other pics of the diode soldered on the pcb, preferably on the esc,1,2,3 area. I saw a diode on one of your pics which I think is in wrong direction. I actually have this issue with sprit's pcb.

Offline Latin00032

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 06 April 2014, 07:04:45 »
I thought the SMDs and diodes come pre installed on the board.

Offline sprit

•  Post Editing Timeout
  • Location: The Geek Symphosion :::::: Mechanical Engineering ::: Alta Magna Uniforma :::::: 哀吾生之須臾羨長江之無窮 ::
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 06 April 2014, 07:11:40 »
Hello!  infiniti !  ;)
Nice Job!   :thumb:
You prefer to sold Diodes on the front side of PCB.

1st Round fell sort for the factory SMD presoldering MOQ.   I am doing the SMD soldering now for people.
2nd Round is waiting for that SMD presoldering MOQ. 
;)
« Last Edit: Sun, 06 April 2014, 07:41:39 by sprit »

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 06 April 2014, 07:18:52 »

Edit: Sprit answered. :)
« Last Edit: Sun, 06 April 2014, 07:22:57 by epzy »
FaceW ~ Duck Viper ~ Kishsaver ~ HHKB Pro 2 Cherry G81-3000SAU ~ Filco Majestouch 2 ~ GON NS NerD 60 HHKB ~ 360 Corsa (jk skam) ~ KMAC Happy (jk skam) ~ JD40 (jk skam)

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #16 on: Sun, 06 April 2014, 08:01:28 »
I actually prefer the SMD stuff as opposed to the TH, one of the reasons being repair, it is such a pain to remove the diodes if you TH solder them and you realize later, that you go the orientation wrong. where as SMD, it is just so much easier.

I don't know if there is a guide out there or if this is the correct method for soldering LEDs, but here is what I do: When installing LEDs, I have noticed that they tend to fall through the hole sicne nothing keeps them locked into their position. What I do is, have the keyboard facing up, place the LEDs, use a hard surface like a cardboard, flip the keyboard and place it on working desk so all the LED pins stay in the wholes, they do fall off a bit, but not out of the holes, I then use a needlenose plier or my hands, pull the LED via one leg (Gently, not to tight and the holes are large enough that both the legs are pulled up evenly even when only pulling using one leg). I then solder the other leg not held, let it cool and move to the other LED. After this is done, I then solder the other leg on all the LEDs, following by trimming of the pins.

Comments on technique?

Whatever works for you is fine, I say.

What I do when soldering LEDs is to place a whole row of them in their holes, then use a long strip of masking tape to tape down the whole row of LEDs. Then I turn the PCB over, trim the legs, and solder. It's the same technique I use when soldering through hole diodes.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #17 on: Sun, 06 April 2014, 09:03:01 »
Cool,  I should try that on my next board.

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
« Reply #18 on: Sun, 06 April 2014, 09:26:17 »
Hats off to you with the SMD soldering  :thumb: , used to repair the odd SMD board in a previous job, even with a proper rework station and training it was always a pain to do resistors and caps, so small and easy to move when soldering.

Thanks!  I discovered that they're easy to lose too :))
________

Those 0603 sized SMD as sooooo tiny!  :o

Bob stuck one in his nose...he sneezed and it popped out again! :))
________

Hi infiniti,

can you post some other pics of the diode soldered on the pcb, preferably on the esc,1,2,3 area. I saw a diode on one of your pics which I think is in wrong direction. I actually have this issue with sprit's pcb.

Here you go buddy:

(Click for biggie)

Note: I soldered the diodes to the front of the PCB and I think I made a boo-boo since the PCB stabilizers won't fit.  Check my reply to sprit's post below for more.
________

Hello!  infiniti !  ;)

Thanks sprit!

I was thinking about your comment...before soldering, I test fit some PCB mount Cherry MX switches and they fit with the diodes in front of the PCB.  BUT I now realize that the diode should go on the back of the PCB since it interferes with the PCB mount stabilizers on Backspace, left shift, and right shift. :'(

Backspace:

Right Shift

Left Shift

I R NOOB.

So...even the through-hole diodes should be installed at the back of the PCB?

________

Comments on technique?

Whatever works for you is fine, I say.

What I do when soldering LEDs is to place a whole row of them in their holes, then use a long strip of masking tape to tape down the whole row of LEDs. Then I turn the PCB over, trim the legs, and solder. It's the same technique I use when soldering through hole diodes.

That tape method sounds like a good idea.

When I modded my Shine 2, this is what I did for the LEDs:
  • fill all the negative LED holes on a row with solder
  • push in an LED while I heat up the solder, let it cool, let go of the LED
  • do the same for the next switch until I complete the row
  • solder up the positive LED holes in that row

« Last Edit: Sat, 17 June 2017, 11:14:40 by infiniti »

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #19 on: Sun, 06 April 2014, 09:40:33 »
Infiniti, I had the exact same issue with the stabilizers when I mounted them after soldering all my diodes. Unfortunately I didn't realize it until after most of the switches were soldered as well and had to do some fancy stuff to remove them and flip them to the other side of the board. Worked out fine in the end though :thumb:

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
« Reply #20 on: Sun, 06 April 2014, 10:00:31 »
Infiniti, I had the exact same issue with the stabilizers when I mounted them after soldering all my diodes. Unfortunately I didn't realize it until after most of the switches were soldered as well and had to do some fancy stuff to remove them and flip them to the other side of the board. Worked out fine in the end though :thumb:

Okie dokie.  I'll do that tomorrow. :thumb:

Out of curiosity, why did you solder the diodes to front of the PCB (the side facing the switches)?  I think I did so because of the pads.

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #21 on: Sun, 06 April 2014, 10:03:11 »

Out of curiosity, why did you solder the diodes to front of the PCB (the side facing the switches)?  I think I did so because of the pads.

I don't quite remember. I believe I did it because jdcarpe had done the same for my JD40, which was the only other PCB I had with through-hole diodes and the polarities were on the front of the PCB so it was easier to orient the diodes correctly (this isn't actually the case, so it must have been that first thing – I don't remember :P ).

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #22 on: Sun, 06 April 2014, 14:33:21 »
After building my Phantom, I have made it a point never to solder the diodes on the front, for two reasons:
1. Possible interference with stabs
2. If I make a mistake, I can just heat up the two pads and remove the diode using a a needle-nose plier, which is almost impossible if you solder them on the front and then have a plate. To install them pack in, you can solder them like SMD, no problem, which I had to do as I got one diode wrong on my Phantom.

Offline pichu23

• ୧༼ಠ益ಠ༽୨ FITE ME
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • ʕ ͡·ᴥ ͡· ʔ
« Reply #23 on: Sun, 06 April 2014, 14:44:21 »
Looking forward to look at the complete thing :)
I'm waiting for my pcb from sprit as well. =D
Collection(s) : Ducky Shine 2 TKL x Poker II x 62g FaceW x 62g Gateron Black GON NerD TKL x 65g Z GON NerD 60

Offline sprit

•  Post Editing Timeout
  • Location: The Geek Symphosion :::::: Mechanical Engineering ::: Alta Magna Uniforma :::::: 哀吾生之須臾羨長江之無窮 ::
« Reply #24 on: Sun, 06 April 2014, 19:32:50 »
Hello!  infiniti !  ;)

Thanks sprit!

I was thinking about your comment...before soldering, I test fit some PCB mount Cherry MX switches and they fit with the diodes in front of the PCB.  BUT I now realize that the diode should go on the back of the PCB since it interferes with the PCB mount stabilizers on Backspace, left shift, and right shift. :'(

Backspace:
Show Image

Right Shift
Show Image

Left Shift
Show Image

I R NOOB.

Not always!   But this PCB has quite complicate Diode positions, for ANSI + ISO enter, L-shift, 1x1 Backspace, 1.75x 1x R-shift.... Various Bottom row supports .
When You find problems w Stabilizers,  You can solder those diodes on the backside of the PCB.    ;)

I usually solder all SMD's on the backside as I posted on our GB.   When the Front side is clear, thick 5mm plates can fit.
« Last Edit: Sun, 06 April 2014, 19:43:04 by sprit »

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
« Reply #25 on: Mon, 07 April 2014, 07:57:51 »

I don't quite remember. I believe I did it because jdcarpe had done the same for my JD40, which was the only other PCB I had with through-hole diodes and the polarities were on the front of the PCB so it was easier to orient the diodes correctly (this isn't actually the case, so it must have been that first thing – I don't remember :P ).

I've been thinking and I soldered the diodes on the front of the PCB because that's how it was on my QFR. :))
________

After building my Phantom, I have made it a point never to solder the diodes on the front, for two reasons:
1. Possible interference with stabs
2. If I make a mistake, I can just heat up the two pads and remove the diode using a a needle-nose plier, which is almost impossible if you solder them on the front and then have a plate. To install them pack in, you can solder them like SMD, no problem, which I had to do as I got one diode wrong on my Phantom.

That's true.  I wish I used SMD diodes...it would make everything prettier hehe
________

Looking forward to look at the complete thing :)
I'm waiting for my pcb from sprit as well. =D

It's worth the wait!  I can't wait to get this complete and start typing on it!
________

Hello!  infiniti !  ;)

Thanks sprit!

Backspace:
Show Image

Right Shift
Show Image

Left Shift
Show Image

I R NOOB.

Not always!   But this PCB has quite complicate Diode positions, for ANSI + ISO enter, L-shift, 1x1 Backspace, 1.75x 1x R-shift.... Various Bottom row supports .
When You find problems w Stabilizers,  You can solder those diodes on the backside of the PCB.    ;)

I usually solder all SMD's on the backside as I posted on our GB.   When the Front side is clear, thick 5mm plates can fit.

I used through-hole diodes since I expected SMDs to be a pain.  After soldering the SMD resistors, it's actually easier...no bending and trimming legs.  I'll go with SMD diodes next time but only in size 0805 :)) 0603 is waaay too small. ^-^

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
« Reply #26 on: Mon, 07 April 2014, 08:06:13 »
7 April 2014 - Moved the diodes that interfered with the PCB-mount stabilizers to the back of the PCB

I installed the through-hole diodes on the front of the PCB (i.e. the side facing the plate and depending on your layout, there may be some diodes that will interfere with the PCB mount stabilizers.  This can easily be remedied by installing the diodes on the back of the PCB. :cool:

Backspace:

Left Shift:

FN (originally thought it was for the Right Shift):

TA-DAH!

« Last Edit: Sat, 17 June 2017, 11:16:32 by infiniti »

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #27 on: Mon, 07 April 2014, 12:12:44 »
Thanks for posting this. I'm really enjoying watching your progress.

Great photos too by the way.

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #28 on: Mon, 07 April 2014, 12:13:54 »
Yep, this should be a huge help for everyone about to assemble these :). I wish I had this resource before I assembled mine.

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
  • REEEeeeeEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeee
« Reply #29 on: Mon, 07 April 2014, 12:52:33 »
I think I need to have you do my 360 Corsa PCB :P

Offline Dreamre

• kbdlife
« Reply #30 on: Mon, 07 April 2014, 21:07:48 »
I love your build threads, looking forwards towards your final build :D.

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #31 on: Mon, 07 April 2014, 21:17:19 »
I don't think I actually posted in this thread yet, but I am watching it for sure. Good luck, I cannot wait to start building mine, it will be my first keyboard I have built from the ground up :)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #32 on: Tue, 08 April 2014, 05:46:10 »
Great pictures, even if they are a bit Bob-less :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
« Reply #33 on: Tue, 08 April 2014, 08:07:45 »
Thanks for posting this. I'm really enjoying watching your progress.

Great photos too by the way.

Thanks!  I enjoy putting this together for community reference. ;D

== = == = == = ==

Yep, this should be a huge help for everyone about to assemble these :). I wish I had this resource before I assembled mine.

Exactly!  The stabs and the through-hole diodes is something you'll only learn by doing.

== = == = == = ==

I think I need to have you do my 360 Corsa PCB :P

I'd gladly trade services for BroBots or ZomBros! ;) 

P.S. Don't worry I will pack very well...much like this.

== = == = == = ==

I love your build threads, looking forwards towards your final build :D.

Thanks!  The final build...depends on a major consideration...WHAT CAPS DO I PUT ON IT??? :'(

== = == = == = ==

I don't think I actually posted in this thread yet, but I am watching it for sure. Good luck, I cannot wait to start building mine, it will be my first keyboard I have built from the ground up :)

This is my first too!  *fist bump*

== = == = == = ==

Great pictures, even if they are a bit Bob-less :)

Thanks!  Bob just got back from vacation...he tried working on his tan but only his red eye got more red :))

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
« Reply #34 on: Tue, 08 April 2014, 08:13:28 »
Struck gold!

« Last Edit: Sat, 17 June 2017, 11:17:32 by infiniti »

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
« Reply #35 on: Wed, 23 April 2014, 22:45:17 »
24 April 2014 - Have Time, Will Solder: moved all the diodes to the rear of the PCB

'still waiting for the switches...should arrive any day now (or so I've been told).

After seeing YUIOP's NerD TKL Build, OCD kicked in and I couldn't live with some diodes in front and some at the back.

I had time so I desoldered all the diodes and resoldered them to the rear of the PCB. :cool:

Voilà!

Front (facing the plate and switches):

Rear:

Back to waiting on switches...

« Last Edit: Sat, 17 June 2017, 11:18:42 by infiniti »

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #36 on: Wed, 23 April 2014, 22:47:25 »
Great log so far man! :thumb:
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline YongJK

« Reply #37 on: Sat, 26 April 2014, 12:40:41 »
Just don't solder diodes at front face, it will be pain in the ass in case diodes decided to fail.
Keyboard: PLU ML87 Mx Blue

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
« Reply #38 on: Sat, 26 April 2014, 20:22:20 »
Great log so far man! :thumb:

Thanks! ;D

Just don't solder diodes at front face, it will be pain in the ass in case diodes decided to fail.

Yeah...kinda realized that and resoldered them to the back of the PCB.

I should note that somewhere in an earlier post so someone else doesn't make the same mistake.

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #39 on: Sat, 26 April 2014, 20:26:35 »
Going to be assembling mine Monday or Tuesday, I am excited :D

I'm doing diode and resistor soldering, should be fun.

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
« Reply #40 on: Sat, 26 April 2014, 20:34:04 »
Going to be assembling mine Monday or Tuesday, I am excited :D

I'm doing diode and resistor soldering, should be fun.

Nice!  It is fun...so fun I did it twice! :))

REMEMBER: It is a better idea to solder the diodes to the back of the PCB.

P.S. I had stickers cut yesterday so I'm just still waiting on the switches...

Offline sprit

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #41 on: Sun, 27 April 2014, 18:45:40 »
Nice!  It is fun...so fun I did it twice! :))

REMEMBER: It is a better idea to solder the diodes to the back of the PCB.

P.S. I had stickers cut yesterday so I'm just still waiting on the switches...

I am going to ship more PCBs this week,  hope many enjoy assembling. ;)
« Last Edit: Sun, 27 April 2014, 18:48:13 by sprit »

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
« Reply #42 on: Sun, 11 May 2014, 08:59:59 »
Bob finally got the clear switches!

OG Cherry Switch Boxes!

Inspection:

Time to disassemble.  Lubrication..hehe lubrication...starts in the morning! :thumb:

Edit: Done disassembling. It took me a while since I was watching 24...beep...boop...beep...boop...

Edit2: Reuploaded pictures to Imgur.  RIP Dropbox Public Folder.
« Last Edit: Sat, 17 June 2017, 11:19:40 by infiniti »

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #43 on: Sun, 11 May 2014, 13:08:03 »
Very cool that you got the boxes that they come in as well. If you don't mind me asking, who did you order them from?

Offline SaySo

« Reply #44 on: Sun, 11 May 2014, 13:34:39 »
« Last Edit: Tue, 03 July 2018, 12:35:29 by SaySo »

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #46 on: Sun, 11 May 2014, 13:57:29 »
grrr. double post.
« Last Edit: Mon, 12 May 2014, 12:53:52 by mashby »

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
« Reply #47 on: Tue, 13 May 2014, 09:10:43 »
NOTE: Mount the stabilizers to the PCB before mounting the switches to the plate and PCB.

'got distracted by other things so I just finished lubing and mounting the switches.  I'll solder the switches and LEDs tomorrow ;D

« Last Edit: Sat, 17 June 2017, 11:21:10 by infiniti »

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #48 on: Tue, 13 May 2014, 09:33:34 »
Looking good!

What made you choose to use an MX-Blue for your CapsLock / Control?

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
« Reply #49 on: Tue, 13 May 2014, 09:53:42 »
Looking good!

What made you choose to use an MX-Blue for your CapsLock / Control?

Thanks!  It's a blue stem with a clear spring. That way it's a little difficult to accidentally toggle the caps lock. The click also let's me know it's been pressed. ;D