Author Topic: AEK II Cap Cleaning  (Read 2101 times)

Offline Sparton175

AEK II Cap Cleaning
« on: Wed, 02 March 2022, 20:26:37 »
I just purchased a set of 105 AEK II keycaps for an Alps build I'm working on. I'm planning on giving the caps a good cleaning when they arrive and I was wondering what the best method would be for the PBT Dye-Sub caps, most of my caps are double shot so I want to make sure I don't ruin them.

I have access to a small ultrasonic cleaner and your standard cleaning supplies.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
Re: AEK II Cap Cleaning
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 02 March 2022, 23:06:22 »
I usually just use warm water and dish soap.  Let them soak and then wipe, rinse, wipe, lay dry.  I'm sure ultrasonic would work fine.

Offline Getsome!!!

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 20 March 2022, 17:24:19 »
Best way to clean AEK? Gasoline and a match.

Offline audax989

• NOM NOM NOM
    • Guam Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 20 March 2022, 19:24:52 »
I just purchased a set of 105 AEK II keycaps for an Alps build I'm working on. I'm planning on giving the caps a good cleaning when they arrive and I was wondering what the best method would be for the PBT Dye-Sub caps, most of my caps are double shot so I want to make sure I don't ruin them.

I have access to a small ultrasonic cleaner and your standard cleaning supplies.

Once you get them cleaned if you want to further whiten the keys you can use some peroxide and good ole sunlight.

Offline Riverman

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 30 March 2022, 01:34:30 »
Unless someone doesn't like the original light grey color, there isn't a need to whiten AEK keycaps.  They were all PBT except for the space bar.

Offline Tactile

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 05 April 2022, 13:43:08 »
I've cleaned many cap sets in an ultrasonic cleaner using tap water with a squirt of dish soap. No problem for either ABS or PBT, and great results.
REΛLFORCE

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 05 April 2022, 13:59:27 »
Put them in a mesh washing bag, zip it close and wash the bag as one unit. It makes cleaning and drying them a whole lot easier.
🍉

Offline butre

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 05 April 2022, 14:37:41 »
I've had luck with denture cleaner for both abs and pbt caps.

Offline Crabby

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 06 April 2022, 18:36:17 »
Dish soap and a tooth brush and some relaxing music. I don't have to clean keycaps often so I don't need anything fancy.